First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#1 Apr 18, 2011
It is a landmark of downtowm Brattleboro...it is a shame.

Why didn't the sprinkle system work?

I always had issues with the dope paraphernalia place...they were reckless with lighting candles and I complained about them to the fire department.

I don't think the fire department and town were serious with maintaining fire codes...considering the threat to those aging wood structures...
Golly

United States

#2 Apr 18, 2011
mike mulligan wrote:
It is a landmark of downtowm Brattleboro...it is a shame.
Why didn't the sprinkle system work?
I always had issues with the dope paraphernalia place...they were reckless with lighting candles and I complained about them to the fire department.
I don't think the fire department and town were serious with maintaining fire codes...considering the threat to those
aging wood structures...
That is a generally nonsensical statement and very controversial and dangerous whether true or not. You really don't know anything about what they have been doing about "code" enforcement do you?
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#3 Apr 18, 2011
So why is the Hinsdale fire chief sending out the message the building structure is unsafe...while the brattleboro chief is too chicken to spell it out.

The Brattleboro chief is intimidated by the business interest of Brattleboro.

Vermonster

Dover, NH

#4 Apr 18, 2011
mike mulligan wrote:
So why is the Hinsdale fire chief sending out the message the building structure is unsafe...while the brattleboro chief is too chicken to spell it out.
The Brattleboro chief is intimidated by the business interest of Brattleboro.
Most likely because a reporter somehow got access to the Hinsdale Asst Chief not the Brattleboro Chief who was running the fire. Get a clue! If a building is structurally unsound a fire chief will say it is structurally unsound. This building may not be. The Wilder building, which burned downtown a number of years ago had similar issues, was stabilized and rebuilt. Why don't you concern yourself with Mass and not flaming our officials in Brattleboro.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#5 Apr 18, 2011
It doesn't seem like the chief knows how to play the newspaper and media game...he is just not a good communicator or he is prevented from communicating accurately to the community...
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#6 Apr 18, 2011
Right, took out the heart of Brattleboro...like how many businesses and people this going to throw in bankruptcy in our frgile times.

Since: Nov 10

Providence, RI

#7 Apr 18, 2011
I'm out of town Mike. What businesses are affected? I'd certainly miss Adagio's if they were burned out! Pat and the staff are just wonderful.
Grieving

Dover, NH

#8 Apr 18, 2011
I had an office in Brooks, I lost a lot last night. LOTS of other people did too, many lost a whole lot more out of their lives than I did out this.

And you are an amazingly evil sounding dirt-bag Mike! To be immediately trying to point fingers and be critical right after such a tragedy. All that matters right now is people being ok!

What happened to you when you were young? Where is the compassion? The empathy?
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#9 Apr 18, 2011
I am dripping with compassion...I want to know how the system set this up to happen.

It was predictable and preventable...
beaglesarecute

White Plains, NY

#10 Apr 18, 2011
While I never thought the building was beautiful, it was distinctive. It always looked dark and Transylvanian-like to me. I did like the shops and am sorry for the people who may lose their jobs. I feel very sorry for the people who lost their homes. We shouldn't rush to judgement on the cause because we don't know and rumours do no one any good.
Tired Traveler

Dover, NH

#11 Apr 18, 2011
beaglesarecute wrote:
While I never thought the building was beautiful, it was distinctive. It always looked dark and Transylvanian-like to me.
I agree about it being a nice building but not a photo magnet. But the apartments and stores being lost are a true tragedy.

The building downtown which has always stood out as very Transylvanian and startlingly sinister in appearance is that Baptist church.

http://maps.google.com/maps...

Yikes!
Joe Shlabotnik

Charlestown, NH

#12 Apr 18, 2011
Stick to nuclear Mike. The world is just not as full of conspiracies as you think,but in your nuclear world at least you have a following.
I Heart Vermont

Springfield, MA

#13 Apr 18, 2011
What a terrible accident for downtown Brattleboro. I hate to see the loss of old, beautiful architecture.
Scott

Newton Center, MA

#14 Apr 18, 2011
bright and Transylvania like to me-> http://www.visit-transylvania.eu/romania-trav...
I loved 'The Adams Family', but Bratt reminds me more of that lousy other one 'The Munsters'- eccentric kooky characters alright but certainly not smart and sophisticated like the Adams'
Scott

Newton Center, MA

#15 Apr 18, 2011
two apropo blues tunes for the displaced Brooks House folks->
The King of the Blues-

A Queen-
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Scott

Newton Center, MA

#16 Apr 18, 2011
Scott wrote:
two apropo blues tunes for the displaced Brooks House folks->
The King of the Blues- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =r9SENzRLk_MXX
A Queen-
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
-oops I labled them backwards

a newer version of the JLH one- http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Richard

Northampton, MA

#17 Apr 18, 2011
Another great job by the Brattleboro Fire Department and the Tri-State Fire Mutual Aid.
Everybody out and the building still stands. A 19th century building that has so many hidden spaces, false ceilings, and segmented sections, occupied by dozens of people and mixed commercial enterprises provides one of the most difficult fire problems one can imagine. I hope the people of Brattleboro understand and appriciate what they have there, an amazing firefighting unit.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#18 Apr 19, 2011
Yea, the building is pretty or ugly...what the hell does that got to with the safety of the people living in the Brooks House.

Don't you have an compassion for the people who had their lives put at risk with the fire on Sunday night.
this Vermonter

Bangor, ME

#19 Apr 19, 2011
Tired Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about it being a nice building but not a photo magnet. But the apartments and stores being lost are a true tragedy.
The building downtown which has always stood out as very Transylvanian and startlingly sinister in appearance is that Baptist church.
http://maps.google.com/maps...
Yikes!
The Baptist church is truly a beautiful building from the exterior, I hope to see the inside one day.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#20 Apr 19, 2011
I wish they record the Brooks House press conference beginning at 4 pm today...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Freemasons continue to threaten ex Brattleboro ... Thu Jesse Rishel 1
Ramuntos Pizza Nov 16 offtherecord 1
Grout Pond National Forest Area to Become Paid ... Nov 2 Defiant1 3
News Gentlewolf released on bail (Jun '07) Oct 19 amen 3
News Diversity dialogue to continue in Brattleboro Sep '17 Paul Kersey 5
Tellman Knudson (Jun '12) Jul '17 Angela Hernandez 51
Did Anyone Get Kilt In Your Flood (Aug '11) Jul '17 Redneck 7

Brattleboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance