First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#227 Sep 29, 2012
And the collapse of the bottom's half incomes and the threat of cheap natural gas... the gas prices having almost no benefit to the rate payers but limiting the damage to the utilities stock price...is creating a profound crisis in our electric industry.

Well, really expensive green energy like windmills and mandates stealing resources from what supports the majority of the load in our electric system.

We are in a profound and long crises over our national management of our electric system...

God help us all if we pull out of our economic depression...its covering up the magnitude of our dysfunction.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#228 Sep 29, 2012
Right, this is why I got fired from VY...

"Increasing capacity

Starting around 1990, New England Power proposed to significantly increase the generating capacity at Vernon. However, for several reasons – including de-regulation of the wholesale energy industry in New England, an over-supply in capacity, and the divestiture of New England Power's generating assets to USGen New England Inc.– this upgrade was never started."
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#229 Sep 29, 2012
So when I first started working at VY we were owned by CVPS and so was the Vernon dam. Then CVPS nearly went bankrupt in the last four years of the 1990's beginning in 1994, just after I was fired. Then by 2002 VY was sold to Entergy because CVPS wasn't big enough to borrow enough money to keep VY operational. Shortly in 2005 the dam was purchased by trancanada and the damn switch yard was sold to National grid who is based in Europe. Last year CVPS was sold to Gaz Mexico or something :).

I mean why is everything so secret with that dam...why the limited access and pictures.

Personally and a controversy within the NRC right now...I think the 1900 cement footing of the Vernon power house is near dust, errr mud....how do we know the powerhouse is not near collapse? You trust them all with their engineering code enforcement. Christ, they got quality issues at VY and Seabrook with 1970's and 1980 concrete...

They should have emptied out the Veron pond water and gutted out the Vernon powerhouse down to bedrock...rebuild the whole facility with brand new technology...but they couldn't do that because VY needs to operate. Everyone's hands our tied in our Connecticut River Bulkans of our economic infrastucture bulkanizations...

God dam, think about those times, our big dreams, they built the Vernon dam in 1900, they built my route 119 bridge in 1921, they build the Bellow Falls dam in 1927...big men who made their big dreams come true. Where have these people gone. Yea, and all the manufacturing they brought into our area and the paper mills in those days.... And spectacular Island Park I am protesting on today in the late 1800s.

Fundamentally, you get into big trouble with over layering new technology and infrastructure on obsolete and centuries old science and structures because we can't see the quality and detect the developing flaws or the original design and construction flaws of everything....it is not self evident or self disclosing.

And then all this century old science and infrastructure isn't designed for climate change...they couldn't even conceive what they had 100 years in front of them.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#230 Sep 29, 2012
Everyone's hands are tied in our Connecticut River valley Bulkan's of our economic infrastructure bulkanizations...
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#231 Sep 29, 2012
Tom wrote:
So if I'm correct, VY's power sources are:
1) When plant is operating only, the main generator powering the Unit Auxiliary Transformer via the isolated phase bus.
2) The 115KV feed to the Startup Transformers from the VY 115KV yard, which is ultimately connected to the VELCO Vernon 115KV yard.
3) When offline only, back feeding from the 345KV yard through the main step-up transformer to the Unit Auxiliary Transformer.
4) Backup diesels (for Class IE loads only.)
5) Vernon tie line (for Class 1E loads only.)
I wouldn't be surprised if they had a secret portable rather large electric diesel generator on site...with quick hookup connects.

It wouldn't be my first time talking to the FBI...

They got a smaller pump with minimum capacity and never tested in actual conditions who could get water to the core.

They got a lot of these for public consumption paper mache mirage safety systems...never tested and operated in actual conditions.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#232 Sep 29, 2012
So next year we get a mother of all droughts...it knocks our socks off by the end of summer. But something is brewing in the equator and off Africa. We have our first hurricane...well remnants of a hurricane. It is much like hurricane Irene. Then a week later we get a slowing moving real hurricane...a cat 1 or 2. It stalls out much like Isaac in 2012, but over NE. Historic flooding never seen before throughout Vermont and New Hampshire happens.

1) Our flood control dams and systems built in the 1930s and 1940s in NE failed because the designers didn't have the foresight to imagine this kind of rainfall they would get in the future. It was discovered in the historic aftermath there was improper maintenance of many facilities, improper operation of facilities...and unseen age related quality degradation with the concrete of these facilities. We had a series of a dam failure cascades...we hand many single dam failure creating a cascades of two or three cascading dam failures downstream. One nuclear plant melted down by flooding and dam failure.

2) Same set up with two storms. But the Bellows Falls dam fails taking out the Vernon power house. Unparalleled flooding. The Vernon dam survives the onslaught. As the flooding is beginning the downswing, a wall in the powerhouse collapses. The whole power house gets washed away, creating a deep rut in the Connecticut River. The VY plant staff tried to bring on the untested alternate cooling system online, but sediment had clogged a pipe unknown. In their panic and improper training, insufficient training, they misoperated the service water system creating a huge waterhammer and an unknown flaw burst a vital service water pipe. It became a race to flood the emergency cooling pumps in the basement of the reactor building and melting down the core. The fire diesel failed on fault. The pond quickly recedes but the plant's staff just didn't have the skills to get their diesel pump to work or the suction out far enough into the sliver of a river left.

There were massive radioactive releases from the plant's stack that paralyzes our nation in the media for weeks....but no fatalities can yet be seen. They had measured minor amounts of radioactivity in the air in NYC and it is barely detectible in the soil surrounding the capital of Montpelier Vermont.

There are thousands dead along the Connecticut River and throughout NE streams and rivers due to flooding. New England, especially Vermont and New Hampshire, are paralyzed and enormous amounts of bridges have been washed away.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#233 Sep 29, 2012
I think if they knew the real conditions of the concrete under the powerhouse down to the bedrock, they would condemn that dam and powerhouse. I think they have evidence of it in a cover-up they reconstructed the far generators.

I wonder what would happen if the powerhouse wall collapsed before they opened the far flood gates...the gate was stuck shut during a historic flood?
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#234 Sep 30, 2012
The alternate cooling system...what system they would use is case they loss the river and the cooling water service water (or control room), it is a system in paper only. It is a system they never have run , ever been tested...the employees have never have run. The procedures were never tested by it operation.

They are afraid something will break if they run it.

It is a scam when Entergy says they got the loss of the river covered by their alternate cooling system...
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#235 Sep 30, 2012
You know, what does this mean?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e4SRgf2nQT...
Tom

Longmeadow, MA

#236 Jan 13, 2013
The Vernon tie line will no longer be able to be credited as a station blackout source next year though it will remain in place. Transcanada has decided to no longer maintain Vernon station as a black start facility. VY is going to install a new air cooled diesel generator that will be credited as the new station blackout power source. It will be connected to the Vernon tie line connection and will can be called upon in the event both standby emergency diesels are unavailable and Vernon station is also unavailable.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#237 Jan 14, 2013
Mike Mulligan wrote:
So next year we get a mother of all droughts...it knocks our socks off by the end of summer. But something is brewing in the equator and off Africa. We have our first hurricane...well remnants of a hurricane. It is much like hurricane Irene. Then a week later we get a slowing moving real hurricane...a cat 1 or 2. It stalls out much like Isaac in 2012, but over NE. Historic flooding never seen before throughout Vermont and New Hampshire happens.
1) Our flood control dams and systems built in the 1930s and 1940s in NE failed because the designers didn't have the foresight to imagine this kind of rainfall they would get in the future. It was discovered in the historic aftermath there was improper maintenance of many facilities, improper operation of facilities...and unseen age related quality degradation with the concrete of these facilities. We had a series of a dam failure cascades...we hand many single dam failure creating a cascades of two or three cascading dam failures downstream. One nuclear plant melted down by flooding and dam failure.
2) Same set up with two storms. But the Bellows Falls dam fails taking out the Vernon power house. Unparalleled flooding. The Vernon dam survives the onslaught. As the flooding is beginning the downswing, a wall in the powerhouse collapses. The whole power house gets washed away, creating a deep rut in the Connecticut River. The VY plant staff tried to bring on the untested alternate cooling system online, but sediment had clogged a pipe unknown. In their panic and improper training, insufficient training, they misoperated the service water system creating a huge waterhammer and an unknown flaw burst a vital service water pipe. It became a race to flood the emergency cooling pumps in the basement of the reactor building and melting down the core. The fire diesel failed on fault. The pond quickly recedes but the plant's staff just didn't have the skills to get their diesel pump to work or the suction out far enough into the sliver of a river left.
There were massive radioactive releases from the plant's stack that paralyzes our nation in the media for weeks....but no fatalities can yet be seen. They had measured minor amounts of radioactivity in the air in NYC and it is barely detectible in the soil surrounding the capital of Montpelier Vermont.
There are thousands dead along the Connecticut River and throughout NE streams and rivers due to flooding. New England, especially Vermont and New Hampshire, are paralyzed and enormous amounts of bridges have been washed away.
You get that, I said that a month before Sandy...
I Know More Than You

Loudon, NH

#238 Jan 14, 2013
Mike Mulligan wrote:
You get that, I said that a month before Sandy...
A legend in you own mind!
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#239 Jan 14, 2013
Me Sept 12, 2009:

Isn't this sweet...

"Why not stick a additional 4 megawatt diesel generator attached to the Vernon Line on VY property. Think of the mind numbing complexity going on here...Velco and the NE ISO operates the big breakers that have to facilitate providing juice to VY. At times the Vernon Station isn’t even manned, they remotely operate the breakers from Holyoke or something. See the complexity and the loss of visibility going across a host of different organization...a addition diesel would be a lot more reliable than this monstrosity.

I am confused with the Vernon dam not being manned, with the TransCanada employees being given two hours to show up at the Vernon station...with VY needing to connect emergency power within 10 minutes to a nuclear safety bus. Does the glove fit?
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#240 Jun 13, 2013
Isn't this good?
I Know More Than You

Westmoreland, NH

#242 Jun 13, 2013
Mike Mulligan wrote:
Isn't this good?
<Very slow golf clap>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Audit of decommissioning fund should be public (Aug '10) 6 hr well well well well 32
Vermonts new economy (Jun '14) 13 hr VeteransToday dot... 140
The third world of science in Vermont/Brattleboro (Nov '11) Sun Urinoff 36
Just another religious criminal (Oct '14) May 22 Urinoff 138
Why is topix deleting half of my posts? (Aug '11) May 21 Urinoff 41
Why Are You Atheists So Angry? May 19 Urinoff 15
When ‘Religious Liberty’ Was Used To Deny All H... (Mar '14) May 19 BabyCenter dot Com 268
More from around the web

Brattleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]