Big Train Derailment Bridge Street, B...

Big Train Derailment Bridge Street, Bratt...

Posted in the Brattleboro Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#1 Dec 4, 2010
Big train derailment north of Bridge Street, Bratt

Just entering Brattleboro from Hinsdale.

Four locomotives are derailed from the tracks, and in the water, 14 box cars are in the Connecticut River, a set of chemical tanker cars are in the water and not contained ...four employees are missing.

Emergency workers are having a tremendously difficult timing getting to the scene of the accident...the cold water is a huge impediment.

Bridge Street has been indefinitely closed because of the train blockage. There are rumors the derailed train cars side swiped stopped cars at the rail crossing ...and the car and passengers are on the Wheatstone Brook.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#2 Dec 4, 2010
As I was reporting my concern to the Brattleboro police central dispatched window, actually she was respectful to me....she said, "Amtrak always got inspectors looking over their equipment and train tracts at the Bridge Street track intersection".
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#3 Dec 4, 2010
On the train tracks, they have a heavy metal and fiberglass covering the ground around the actual tracts. The top of the metal fiberglass is a little higher than the top of the tracks on both sides. It is suppose to be smooth going across the track driving in a vehicle...the black bolted metal fiberglass platform float across the tract. It starts maybe three feet before the tracks, goes across two set of tracks, then continues on for about another two or three feet across the whole road.

So as you head down towards the track heading to the Connecticut river, the first three feet metal fiberglass 2 or 3 feet lip is broken. The structure and dirt underneath the lip has eroded away, who knows really how bad it is...the whole thick lip is loose and banging around.

A car comes down the hill, hits this disgraceful lip with its front wheel, the lip has moved right up to the track touching it, it kinda pivots, the metal fiberglass plate slams into the lip of the track. So the plate get pushed into the track with a lot of weight, then bangs up with considerable force onto the track lip...it is like hitting the track a million times with a sledge hammer. It is a really loud bang when a car hits it...much worst with a truck.

Between the first tracts, the only used tracks, the metal fiberglass plate is all worn, bent and distorted. You just don't know what is underneath the operating track.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#4 Dec 4, 2010
The plate could jump up hitting the car under carriage and severely damaging the car, bike or motorcycle...causing the car to serve onto oncoming traffic and causing a head-on.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#5 Dec 4, 2010
A heavy tractor trailer could come along, the metal plate gets caught somewhere in the tractor trailer... then knocks a rail out of alignment with the track.

Maybe nobody notices it until a freight train comes along and derails.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#6 Dec 4, 2010
First snow storm, a heavy duty town dump truck filled with sand that has a plow...the plate get caught in the plow mechanism, after months of sledgehammer action by the traffic...misaligns a track and a train derailment occurs.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#7 Dec 4, 2010
It is not that many years ago they put in that plateform?
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#8 Dec 5, 2010
You know, if I get the police or selectman to call Amtrak they would have more effect than me?
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#9 Dec 5, 2010
It almost implies there has been a system wide cutback in inspections...or maintenance and upkeep...

I will be keeping an eye on train problems anywhere in our area.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#10 Dec 5, 2010
You know, that platform sitting around the tracts is a engineering safety feature. The deal is, the car and truck tires, the platform is designed so the track only feels the weight of the vehicle in a vertical direction. You don't want some truck tire to hit the tract with most of force aimed in a lateral or horizontal motion. Banging on top of the track with a tire in not that bad...that same force on a perpendicular and horizontal direction is very unsafe.

It is unsafe and it threatens the reliability of the track for passengers and freight in general.
jway

Tuscumbia, AL

#11 Dec 5, 2010
Mike when did this happen?
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#12 Dec 5, 2010
It occurs on February 23, 2012 @2:42AM
BS Onastik

Dover, NH

#13 Dec 5, 2010
mike mulligan wrote:
It almost implies there has been a system wide cutback in inspections...or maintenance and upkeep...
I will be keeping an eye on train problems anywhere in our area.
I'll sleep better knowing your on the job... By the way, the Belle of Brattleboro just sunk off the mouth of the West River, 30 people are in the water and the fire dept. doesn't have a rope long enough to reach. Maybe the Coast Guard needs to get involved, chicken little.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#14 Dec 5, 2010
You twit, there are two Chicken Littles, I am the new Chicken Little, the movie. All the kids know me.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#15 Dec 5, 2010
BS Onastik wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll sleep better knowing your on the job... By the way, the Belle of Brattleboro just sunk off the mouth of the West River, 30 people are in the water and the fire dept. doesn't have a rope long enough to reach. Maybe the Coast Guard needs to get involved, chicken little.
You get a C minus for creativity....A "F" for perceived risk. Like how many times a day does the Belle go through downtown Brat....home many tons does the Belle weight, how many horsepower does she carry?
flat lander

United States

#16 Dec 6, 2010
MIKE I'm working on a set of rail wheels to adapt your bike to the rail so you can inspect. Still having problems with the switch"fork in the road/rail" but keep looking behind you is your doings.
flat lander

United States

#17 Dec 6, 2010
Does this qualify you to be put in with the "Here's your sign" group The world will end on feb 20 2011 so we will never know if this will pan out.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#18 Dec 6, 2010
Maybe the world ended as we know it on Feb 20, 2011, and we just don't know it yet?
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#19 Dec 6, 2010
flat lander wrote:
MIKE I'm working on a set of rail wheels to adapt your bike to the rail so you can inspect. Still having problems with the switch"fork in the road/rail" but keep looking behind you is your doings.
I have rode the tracks on my bike between Route 9 and Bridge Street may times. Walking across the West River railroad bridge gets you juices flowing...what if you are in the middle what would you do, what would you do with your bike. I have spent some distance riding between the tracks on the ties. It is smoother and less bushes than the side road.

Don't forget about I want a nature trail between those two points, on the river bank, with a monument on top the steam locomotive roundhouse historical ruins

Now if I could learn to balance the bike and ride on top of a tract...it would be smooth sailing for many miles.

You got to be careful back there, them trains come out of nowhere...

mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#20 Dec 6, 2010
At the end of the day, I am only trying to get Amtrak to repair the damage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did Anyone Get Kilt In Your Flood (Aug '11) Jul 2 Redneck 7
What Does It Take To Get the Brattleboro Reform... Jun '17 Kay 1
Review: Biologic Integrative Health - Samantha ... (Feb '10) Jun '17 Amy 65
Quick Loan Jun '17 housingfinance 1
News Autopsy results pending: Police ID troopers in ... (Dec '07) May '17 superkim_89 4
News Police roundup (Aug '09) May '17 Ripflatlander 5
Get on the bandwagon while there is still time! (Jan '16) May '17 Morgan 8

Brattleboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brattleboro Mortgages