Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2014

Since: Nov 10

Brattleboro, VT

#1 Mar 6, 2014
Was it just good fortune that the Brattleboro sales tax increase was put to vote before Staples determines which stores to shutter, or was it another successful effort to rid Vermont of a retailer? An empty Staples building would certainly blend in with the abandoned Home Depot.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/offi...
Black Hole

West Rutland, VT

#2 Mar 7, 2014
Windham County, this is only the beginning!
VT has the greatest per capita of Not for profits and therapists in the country.
We are going to need every one of them once the Shumlin administration's policies really go to work crippling what's left of SE VT's economy after Vermont Yankee closes!
Community Disorganizer

Newtown, CT

#3 Mar 7, 2014
Shumlin can hire an army of state tax collectors to man the bridges and check every car returning from New Hampshire. He can issue these tax collectors brown shirts with swastika arm bands.
Joe

Methuen, MA

#4 Mar 7, 2014
we need to spend more on education !
ENEnews dot Com

Rutland, VT

#5 Mar 7, 2014
just think of all the $$$ it co$t$ us all to keep watch over those abandoned stores and deal with ALL their deadly leftover waste for the next thousand+ years
Oh wait, my mistake, that's only a problem with decommissioning nukes like VY and Their waste product
//

'Three years later'
With VY closing in 2014, won’t our troubles soon be over? Hardly.
http://www.commonsnews.org/site/site05/story....
"Why does any of this matter to us? After all, Vermont Yankee — the same make, model, and age as Fukushima’s reactors — is closing at the end of this year, so won’t our troubles soon be over?

It matters because there is still much more spent fuel in Vernon than at all the Fukushima reactors combined. This fuel is still incredibly “hot,” still incredibly dangerous, and still virtually unprotected.
It matters because “one bad accident” created by some form of extreme energy — nuclear, tar sands, crude oil — happens almost daily in North America.

There is a headline, then maybe two or three days of news, before a fresh disaster grabs our attention. But “one bad accident” doesn’t just ruin someone’s day; it is a permanent crisis for those who lose their homes, culture, and community.
U.S. taxpayers fund the high-level nuclear waste dump in Hanford, Wash., to a tune of $2 billion per year. But all that money has not kept the holding tanks there from leaking into the groundwater of rural communities on the banks of the mighty Columbia River.

So now nuclear waste travels 1,800 miles from Hanford to the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) in rural New Mexico. Towns and Indian reservations along these routes live in fear that an accident could wipe out their communities.

Built to store nuclear waste underground in salt mines, WIPP could never leak, or so said the Department of Energy (DOE).

After just 16 years, the casks used to store the waste at WIPP have apparently failed. Thirteen workers tested positive for internal radiation. Last week, the DOE announced that radiation has been detected in the air — a huge admission for an agency known to keep facts from the public.

The DOE has no plan B for what to do with the waste at Barnwell, or Hanford, or New Mexico.
Back here, in Vernon, we host tons and tons of spent fuel sitting in a pool of water over a reactor on the banks of the Connecticut River. We’ll be safer when the waste is put in dry casks, once Entergy gets around to it. Then it will be under the “stewardship” of the DOE, which has no plan B for our waste, either.
Flat Lander

United States

#6 Mar 7, 2014
JOE more on education in schools or the state reps. and court system to see if we can bring them up to reality and what's going on under their highly held noses
Joe

Methuen, MA

#7 Mar 7, 2014
Flat Lander wrote:
JOE more on education in schools or the state reps. and court system to see if we can bring them up to reality and what's going on under their highly held noses
go easy on the needle
I Know More Than You

Bennington, VT

#8 Mar 7, 2014
Black Hole wrote:
Windham County, this is only the beginning!
VT has the greatest per capita of Not for profits and therapists in the country.
We are going to need every one of them once the Shumlin administration's policies really go to work crippling what's left of SE VT's economy after Vermont Yankee closes!
That reminds me. We should put a 3% tax on therapist revenues. We would be rich.
Flat Lander

United States

#9 Mar 8, 2014
JOE How did you know about the needle? I have been covering my TRACKS with Tattoos so they wouldn't show! Who told you about a fix or 2
Joe

Methuen, MA

#10 Mar 8, 2014
Flat Lander wrote:
JOE How did you know about the needle? I have been covering my TRACKS with Tattoos so they wouldn't show! Who told you about a fix or 2
my neighbor told me, he is a cop and they are going to get you.
Flat Lander

United States

#11 Mar 8, 2014
NO NO the buggie man is going to get me but the cops are out. When the word is out there coming I put the sign in the window downtown about free donuts and it throws them off my trail.
Joe

Methuen, MA

#12 Mar 8, 2014
Flat Lander wrote:
NO NO the buggie man is going to get me but the cops are out. When the word is out there coming I put the sign in the window downtown about free donuts and it throws them off my trail.
Just so you know it's boogie man. You wouldn't want somebody to think you are on drugs would you ?

a buggie man is Amish with a horse and buggy. No way do they want you.
Flat Lander

United States

#13 Mar 8, 2014
JOE thanks for giving away my cover but while typing I was working on a booger in my nose. Staples did close today in Bratt but it was time to close up for the nite and they will open in the morning I hope so I can get something to clean this keyboard.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fukushima Worsening!-Thank Nuketards 4Ruining E... (Aug '13) 20 hr Mass Die-Off of P... 107
Mulligan Sighting at Walmart 21 hr ENEnews dot com 7
Tectonic Shift (Dec '12) Sun tectonic shift 396
marble ace arvidson Fri victoria marshall 1
Brattleboro officials prepare for 'Pay-As-You-T... Aug 29 ENEnews dot Com 2
God is coming SOON! (Apr '07) Aug 29 Revival in Vermont 128
Vernon's police chief speaks out after departme... Aug 28 Nuketard Town Dri... 3
•••

Brattleboro News Video

•••
Brattleboro Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Brattleboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••