The work of schools

Mar 26, 2013 Full story: The Brattleboro Reformer 16

I've been worried about my son starting kindergarten since ... well, honestly, since right around the day he was born.

Full Story
Dinah

Hancock, NH

#1 Mar 27, 2013
I learned from sad experience that those "vital but expensive support services" tend to harm children more than they help. When the expensive programs don't work, the parents get blamed. Then HCRS tends to profit off of all the fingerpointing at good parents. Parents, don't let anyone cudgel you into signing a "consent" form for an HCRS counselor to work with your child. You won't like the results. Counseling for a child can be a blessing, if the counselor/therapist is competent. But the HCRS package brings horrifying results.

All over this nation, Community Mental Health centers are being complained about for making things worse for their clients than they were in the first place. This bureaucratic system has become corrupt.

Even outside of Community Mental Health, there are incompetent counselors who are often "assigned" (or recommended to their parents) to work with public school children, particularly Special Ed children. Beware of Public School Recommendations! There are good counselors/therapists out there who accept Medicaid, but the system does not want to let you know.
Lucie

Keene, NH

#2 Apr 20, 2013
So I learned the hard way.
Not funny

Burlington, VT

#3 Apr 21, 2013
What state and district are we talking about here?
I Know More Than You

Merrimack, NH

#4 Apr 21, 2013
Concern trolls are out early this morning, summon the alt accounts to provide support ASAP!
Not funny

Burlington, VT

#5 Apr 21, 2013
I Know More Than You wrote:
Concern trolls are out early this morning, summon the alt accounts to provide support ASAP!
This conversation frightens you because...?
I Know More Than You

Merrimack, NH

#6 Apr 21, 2013
Not funny just stupid wrote:
This conversation frightens you because...?
"Frightens"?

You sound concerned.
Not funny

Burlington, VT

#7 Apr 21, 2013
I Know More Than You wrote:
<quoted text>
"Frightens"?
You sound concerned.
I have children who are in special services one is graduating this year. So yes I do sound concerned and rightly so. Only our experience is very different than Dinah’s. The school refuses to update initial diagnostics to norm them to adult learners. Their claim is that since the school doesn’t contest the original diagnosis they do not need to test. However colleges require that testing is done within the last three years in order to qualify for services there. By law an identified student receiving Special Education Services in the public school setting must have a revaluation every three years (we have requested evaluation for the past six). The cost for such an evaluation done in the private sector is around $3,000 (insurance does not cover it). The district has professionals on staff that perform these evaluations as part of their job. So you see, people who cannot afford out of district evaluations may be denied their child’s Civil Liberties as they transition from public education into the private sector. These Civil Liberties are granted per the Americans with Disabilities act of 1982.
MarkieMark

Brattleboro, VT

#8 Apr 21, 2013
Not funny wrote:
<quoted text>I have children who are in special services one is graduating this year. So yes I do sound concerned and rightly so. Only our experience is very different than Dinah’s. The school refuses to update initial diagnostics to norm them to adult learners. Their claim is that since the school doesn’t contest the original diagnosis they do not need to test. However colleges require that testing is done within the last three years in order to qualify for services there. By law an identified student receiving Special Education Services in the public school setting must have a revaluation every three years (we have requested evaluation for the past six). The cost for such an evaluation done in the private sector is around $3,000 (insurance does not cover it). The district has professionals on staff that perform these evaluations as part of their job. So you see, people who cannot afford out of district evaluations may be denied their child’s Civil Liberties as they transition from public education into the private sector. These Civil Liberties are granted per the Americans with Disabilities act of 1982.
Do you realize you are debating with a 15 year old boy? His MO is not to debate. He only wants to post insults so he can sneeringly giggle.
Lucie

White River Junction, VT

#9 Apr 21, 2013
Not funny wrote:
<quoted text>I have children who are in special services one is graduating this year. So yes I do sound concerned and rightly so. Only our experience is very different than Dinah’s. The school refuses to update initial diagnostics to norm them to adult learners. Their claim is that since the school doesn’t contest the original diagnosis they do not need to test. However colleges require that testing is done within the last three years in order to qualify for services there. By law an identified student receiving Special Education Services in the public school setting must have a revaluation every three years (we have requested evaluation for the past six). The cost for such an evaluation done in the private sector is around $3,000 (insurance does not cover it). The district has professionals on staff that perform these evaluations as part of their job. So you see, people who cannot afford out of district evaluations may be denied their child’s Civil Liberties as they transition from public education into the private sector. These Civil Liberties are granted per the Americans with Disabilities act of 1982.
Special Ed does not work the way it is supposed to, ADA or not. My kids were screwed because I did not know how to deal with the system, and they take advantage of your lack of knowing. Be careful, because when your child then shows problems because of their neglect and ineptitude, they will viciously turn and blame YOU, the "bad" parent. They may even send the child protection workers after you to see if they can blame you officially. Parents who knew the system said to hire a special advocate to help you deal with the system, which I did not do because of my limited income at the time. I paid for it by becoming the bad guy on paper. My son paid for it with myriad troubles in his life as an adult. Pay for the advocate if you can. The public school/special ed system does NOT want you to have an advocate! They are afraid of them.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#10 Apr 21, 2013
Lucie wrote:
<quoted text> Special Ed does not work the way it is supposed to, ADA or not. My kids were screwed because I did not know how to deal with the system, and they take advantage of your lack of knowing. Be careful, because when your child then shows problems because of their neglect and ineptitude, they will viciously turn and blame YOU, the "bad" parent. They may even send the child protection workers after you to see if they can blame you officially. Parents who knew the system said to hire a special advocate to help you deal with the system, which I did not do because of my limited income at the time. I paid for it by becoming the bad guy on paper. My son paid for it with myriad troubles in his life as an adult. Pay for the advocate if you can. The public school/special ed system does NOT want you to have an advocate! They are afraid of them.
Admit it, you suck as a mother...

No special ed department treats a mother like that...
Kooky chie koo

Northfield, VT

#11 Apr 22, 2013
Mike Mulligan wrote:
<quoted text>
Admit it, you suck as a mother...
No special ed department treats a mother like that...
they do what they have to do to save face. It's human nature and job preservation. But I don't think they fear the advocate, I think they fear the educated. Think about it , it's difficult and less likely they are willing to blame the parent when the parents are holding Masters degree, and yet we know that educated people are child abusers just like uneducated ones are.
Lucie

Winooski, VT

#12 Apr 22, 2013
Mike Mulligan wrote:
<quoted text>
Admit it, you suck as a mother...
No special ed department treats a mother like that...
You are very ignorant about special ed. About public school, for that matter. Downright corruption.
Lucie

Winooski, VT

#13 Apr 23, 2013
Kooky chie koo wrote:
<quoted text> they do what they have to do to save face. It's human nature and job preservation. But I don't think they fear the advocate, I think they fear the educated. Think about it , it's difficult and less likely they are willing to blame the parent when the parents are holding Masters degree, and yet we know that educated people are child abusers just like uneducated ones are.
Highly educated advocates do scare them. What's even scarier is the great lawyer that a high income parent can afford to hire!
Lucie

Winooski, VT

#14 Apr 23, 2013
When you think about it, a highly educated and high income parent doesn't have to deal with the public school system in the first place. If I had had a choice, I definitely would have gone private/parochial.
Kooky chie koo

Northfield, VT

#15 Apr 23, 2013
Perhaps in CT Lucy, but in Here in VT we are over educated for our level of employment. Families with two college educated adults still struggle here. I know a number of paras with teaching licenses earning twelve dollars an hour.
Markiemark

Bennington, VT

#16 Apr 23, 2013
Lucie wrote:
When you think about it, a highly educated and high income parent doesn't have to deal with the public school system in the first place. If I had had a choice, I definitely would have gone private/parochial.
You have got that right. The Parochial schools do a much much better job for a lot less money. Any parent who can afford it who does not take advantage of it is making a mistake for their children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vermonts new economy (Jun '14) 9 hr Community Disorga... 67
New Hampshire Buying Russian Coal for Generation Thu March Winds 3
Balint: Raising a glass to millenials Thu March Winds 3
Vermont Yankee prepares to power down Thu Arnie 10
God is coming SOON! (Apr '07) Thu Maranatha 131
Vermont Yankee: Regional organizations release ... Wed March Winds 1
Everyone's Books celebrates 30 years Dec 23 March Winds 1

Brattleboro News Video

Brattleboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Brattleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brattleboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brattleboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:17 pm PST