VT Born

South Burlington, VT

#1 Sep 6, 2013
1) SAFSTOR is in the contract, whether Governor Shumlin likes it or not

The first post is In Vermont, Our Word is Our Bond, so We Don't Honor Contracts. In this post, you can see Governor Shumlin accuse reporter Terri Hallenbeck of "working for Entergy." This is his answer when Hallenbeck reminds him that the state signed a purchase agreement, and the purchase agreement allows Entergy to use Safstor.

Here's the link to the purchase agreement itself, the Memorandum of Understanding. The use of SAFSTOR is explicitly allowed in item 9, page 5 of this document, which is a total of eight pages long (plus some signature pages).
VT Born

South Burlington, VT

#2 Sep 6, 2013
2) SAFSTOR and Prompt Decommissioning are both jobs cliffs. They do not protect current workers.

In Decommissioning, Facts Versus Fantasy, I show that 80% of the workers at gone within one year with SAFSTOR, and 50% are gone in one year, 80% in two years, with prompt decommissioning. Both are a jobs cliff.

Most decommissioning work is done by teams of contractors. Wayne Norton, who was president of the Three Yankees during decommissioning, wrote the following in a paper he presented to industry.

Another advantage to early and aggressive downsizing is that it opens up opportunities to bring in workers with skill sets that are more suited to a decommissioning environment. Also, if these workers are contractors, they tend to be more accustomed to completing a given scope of work and moving on to another job.
VT Born

South Burlington, VT

#3 Sep 6, 2013
3) There's no local jobs bonus. Long-distance truckers and waste disposal sites get most of the money.

In my post, There is no Jobs Bonus. Decommissioning Helps Long-Haul Truckers and Destroys Communities, I try to follow-the-decommissioning money very closely. Let's just say I don't like what I see.

Only Someone Like Our Governor Could Love Decommissioning

I will undoubtedly be posting more on this in the future, but I thought I would start with a summary of my older posts on this subject.

Decommissioning is a miserable situation for the workers and the local people. It's the kind of situation that only our current governor could love.
VT Born

South Burlington, VT

#4 Sep 6, 2013
Thank you Mr Dumlin

Little Rock, AR

#5 Sep 16, 2013
For putting so many people out of a great paying job. You are truly an Idiot
I Know More Than You

Topsham, ME

#6 Sep 16, 2013
Thank you Mr Dumlin wrote:
For putting so many people out of a great paying job. You are truly an Idiot
You are giving Shumlin more credit than he deserves.

I'm sure most of the skilled workers will move to other nuclear plants and take their disposable incomes and taxes out of Vermont.
I Know More Than You

Topsham, ME

#7 Sep 16, 2013
VT Born wrote:
http://www.blogger.com/profile /02737538041807740424
Why not just link to the actual post and provide some insight instead of just copying the article and pasting it over numerous posts?
Neolefty

Bennington, VT

#8 Sep 17, 2013
I Know More Than You wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not just link to the actual post and provide some insight instead of just copying the article and pasting it over numerous posts?
Instead of criticizing him why don't you just do it?
I Know More Than You

Topsham, ME

#9 Sep 17, 2013
Neolefty wrote:
Instead of criticizing him why don't you just do it?
I thought you teabagger types were all for personal responsibility and not about having others do things for you? Guess you are just another right wing hypocrite.
Cry More For Me Nuketards

Newton Center, MA

#10 Sep 17, 2013
what do ewe do for others, besides 'reach-arounds'?

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/brattleboro-v...
I Know More Than You

Topsham, ME

#11 Sep 17, 2013
Village Idiot wrote:
what do ewe do for others, besides 'reach-arounds'?
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/brattleboro-v...
Come out of the closet, it must be suffocating you in there.
Neolefty

Bennington, VT

#12 Sep 18, 2013
<quoted text>
I thought you teabagger types were all for personal responsibility and not about having others do things for you? Guess you are just another right wing hypocrite.
The tea party beleives in fiscal responsibility, having a work ethic and personal responsibility. That is why I asked you since you thought it was important. Time for you to do the work and not boss other people around. No hypocrisy in that. Especially since you are young and need to be schooled in personal responsibility and having a work ethic. We know that young liberals like you usually grow up to be conservatives but need experience and education to get there. That is if you are intelligent. If you aren't then you will remain a liberal.
I Know More Than You

Topsham, ME

#13 Sep 18, 2013
Neoidiot wrote:
The tea party beleives in fiscal responsibility, having a work ethic and personal responsibility. That is why I asked you since you thought it was important. Time for you to do the work and not boss other people around. No hypocrisy in that. Especially since you are young and need to be schooled in personal responsibility and having a work ethic. We know that young liberals like you usually grow up to be conservatives but need experience and education to get there. That is if you are intelligent. If you aren't then you will remain a liberal.
Derp a doodle do.

What else do you beleive (sic) in?
Neolefty

Bennington, VT

#14 Sep 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Derp a doodle do.
What else do you beleive (sic) in?
I believe that you are a derp.
Whos Ewer Daddy

Newton Center, MA

#15 Sep 19, 2013
IKMTY says 'Derp a doodle do',
his mama has always said 'Any derp will do'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vermonts new economy 12 hr Countdown To VY S... 35
A Christian Plot for Domination (Aug '11) 12 hr VaccineRights dot... 1,208
Truth reason knowledge (Dec '12) 13 hr 3000 A Day In US ... 497
When ‘Religious Liberty’ Was Used To Deny All H... (Mar '14) 13 hr Health Care NOT a... 100
Tectonic Shift (Dec '12) 21 hr Gott mit uns 399
marble ace arvidson Sat ENEnews dot Com 19
Entergy Owes Overtime to Security Sift Supervis... Sep 27 Larry F-ing Smith 8

Brattleboro News Video

Brattleboro Jobs

Brattleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brattleboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brattleboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]