Transit Center Hangout
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Perplexed

Brattleboro, VT

#1 Sep 4, 2013
My teenage daughter is always wanting to hang out at the transportation center these days. And, certainly there are exceptions, but it seems dirt-bag central there. I'm not calling the folks who are simply very poor who are there, I'm talking about the boys and girls who strut around thinking they are bad-asses, and acting pissed off at the universe. Isn't it the place where several of the worst violent acts in recent Brattleboro history have happened?

Whats the fascination do you think?
Alannah

Montpelier, VT

#2 Sep 4, 2013
They like to see who is coming on and off the buses. I think they are looking for their friends. Also since many teens don't drive until they're older now, They enjoy the fascination of getting on and off buses to go to different places. The "pissed off" attitudes may be because there are few jobs and they don't forsee anything for their future right now. At least some of them are playing musical instruments.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#3 Sep 4, 2013
Perplexed wrote:
My teenage daughter is always wanting to hang out at the transportation center these days. And, certainly there are exceptions, but it seems dirt-bag central there. I'm not calling the folks who are simply very poor who are there, I'm talking about the boys and girls who strut around thinking they are bad-asses, and acting pissed off at the universe. Isn't it the place where several of the worst violent acts in recent Brattleboro history have happened?
The normal angst of teenagers…it is just a place teenagers can socialize.

There is a few outside bad guys mixed in here.

A lot of them hang out by the bridge…near the co-op. That is their hangout.

Most of them look normal and behave themselves…

There is a lot of young people who live in the apartments and housing near by...
Townie

Brattleboro, VT

#4 Sep 5, 2013
Most of them are just hanging out and being social, there are just a few really sullen and angry folks - the "bad boys" with the laughably cliche sagging pants and tough stare at everybody are just playing out normal teenage angst. Only the insecure have to try to look and act tough, the truly confident don't need to try to project strength. But they are kids (and I mean those in their early 20's too) and just doing the natural testing of boundaries and searching for who they are.

Since everybody got run out of the Harmony lot a few years ago, they found a new locus. I do think it would be a good idea to have more cameras inside, and some outside looking towards the popular sitting area.
Parenting

South Burlington, VT

#5 Sep 5, 2013
Listen to your instincts on this. While I agree that teens need a place to hang out with friends and blow off steam, this location seems to attract attention not in a good way. You don't say how old your daughter is and I think that is an important piece of the puzzle. If your teen is sixteen and driving, I would be more inclined to allow it within limitations such as go with a trusted friend and when the sun goes down move your socializing to main st and away from the side streets. At age sixteen on the weekend, ten at night its time to be off the streets, during the week be off the streets at 8:00. During the day kids Twelve to the age of fifteen, a group of friends shopping, having lunch, playing frisbee in the park....with an adult not more than 15 minutes away is fine, but no loitering! Football games etc, I always made my middle schoolers check in at the half in person! The stone church events is no place for 7, 8, and 9th graders!!
Parenting

South Burlington, VT

#6 Sep 5, 2013
You could also talk to a cop and see what they have to say...my kids hated me until the went off to college and now they tell me how grateful they are that I parented them rather than tried to be their friend/ cool mom.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#7 Sep 5, 2013
Yea, but there is also something much worst with keeping your child totally protected in his bedroom where she becomes socially and experientially shunted or cripple for the rest of his life?
Parenting

South Burlington, VT

#8 Sep 5, 2013
Mike Mulligan wrote:
Yea, but there is also something much worst with keeping your child totally protected in his bedroom where she becomes socially and experientially shunted or cripple for the rest of his life?
That's not what I was saying at all. This parent wouldn't be asking about it if they weren't trying to find balance between to strict and to loose.
Scott

Brattleboro, VT

#9 Sep 5, 2013
Perplexed wrote:
Don't let your daughter anywhere near it. The place is about drugs and getting high.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#10 Sep 5, 2013
You think the parents are any better with the pills, booze and other means to high...we are a nation under massive intoxication.

The kids and young adults are light weights compared to the oldsters....
Scott

Brattleboro, VT

#11 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Mulligan wrote:
You think the parents are any better with the pills, booze and other means to high...we are a nation under massive intoxication.
The kids and young adults are light weights compared to the oldsters....
Yeah that is why Shumlin wants to legalize Marijuana.
halo guy

Brattleboro, VT

#12 Sep 6, 2013
But booze kills more that all drug combined...pot is benign compareo booze...

They ought to make booze illegal it kills and cost us so much...
halo guy

Brattleboro, VT

#13 Sep 6, 2013
But booze kills more that all drugs combined...pot is benign compared to booze...
Townie

Brattleboro, VT

#14 Sep 6, 2013
Its a mistake to say "Alcohol and drugs", its just "drugs". There is no question, nor debate even in medicine, that alcohol is indeed another drug. And, as a local cop told me "its not the stoners that are out there on Flat and Elliot starting fights, and breaking and stealing stuff - its the drunks, and speeders and such."
Scott

Brattleboro, VT

#15 Sep 6, 2013
halo guy wrote:
But booze kills more that all drugs combined...pot is benign compared to booze...
Because alcohol is bad it doesn't make pot good. That is the flaw in your argument. When you make that argument you are admitting that pot is also bad.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#16 Sep 6, 2013
80% of people who drink booze handle it without trouble...a much high percentage can handle pot without dependency.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/statenewe...
Alex

Newton Center, MA

#17 Sep 6, 2013
hollow guy wrote:
actually it's Prescription drugs that kil more than Anything!
https://www.google.com/#q=prescription+drugs+...

Get those ECT treatments mikey- they're drug free ewe know!
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#18 Sep 7, 2013
I am surprised I am not hear out of you: Fukushima is making our kids use scripts.
Roma

Plainfield, VT

#19 Sep 7, 2013
Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
actually it's Prescription drugs that kil more than Anything!
https://www.google.com/#q=prescription+drugs+...
Get those ECT treatments mikey- they're drug free ewe know!
ECT treatments can destroy people's memories. It's not something I would do.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#20 Sep 7, 2013
It can also cure untreatable depression...

How we do ECT is way different than in the past...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does It Take To Get the Brattleboro Reform... 8 hr Kay 1
Review: Biologic Integrative Health - Samantha ... (Feb '10) Jun 9 Amy 65
Quick Loan Jun 4 housingfinance 1
News Autopsy results pending: Police ID troopers in ... (Dec '07) May 30 superkim_89 4
News Police roundup (Aug '09) May 29 Ripflatlander 5
Get on the bandwagon while there is still time! (Jan '16) May 24 Morgan 8
News Local man convicted of sexual abuse of his daug... (Dec '08) May '17 Miles D Wynn 35

Brattleboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brattleboro Mortgages