Breaking: Entergy Louisiana's Vermont...
Wrong Again Joe

Bethel, VT

#21 Aug 28, 2013
Joe wrote:
The 600 Homer Simpsons can look for work at places like C&S and join the rest of the peasants in the real economy. They are probably the type of people who cheered on school spending as long as they had a big buck job, now they can get a taste of what it's like to pay high property taxes off a crappy job if they can find one.
. Joe, that is a highly offensive stereotype and you couldn't be more wrong. As native Vermonters, neither of us had a college degree starting out. My husband received his training in the Navy as regular six year enlisted. After his hitch was up we agreed to serve an extra year and go on another tour. Afterwords Vermont Yankee offered him an entry level position. That was twenty two years ago and a lot more education and training ago! The military offered us a boot up and VY gave us the chance to come home, raise a family and work at a career. We know a lot of VY families with similar histories. Our success didn't just drop in our laps, we went out into the world and worked our asses off for it!
Wrong Again Joe

Bethel, VT

#22 Aug 28, 2013
Oh and I a,m sure a lot of us would like a job at C&S, but Brattleboro for the most part, drove them out of Vermont. Keene is a quick commute though.
I Know More Than You

Holden, ME

#23 Aug 28, 2013
Joe wrote:
The 600 Homer Simpsons can look for work at places like C&S and join the rest of the peasants in the real economy. They are probably the type of people who cheered on school spending as long as they had a big buck job, now they can get a taste of what it's like to pay high property taxes off a crappy job if they can find one.
Some of the people with non-technical support jobs and ties to the area may try to stay but most will leave.

You sound pretty bitter, I bet you are a joy at parties.
Joe

Chester, VT

#24 Aug 28, 2013
I Know More Than You wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the people with non-technical support jobs and ties to the area may try to stay but most will leave.
You sound pretty bitter, I bet you are a joy at parties.
I have nothing to be bitter about, it's not my problem and seeing as how there is no more (( WE )) in We The People what happens to people in Brattleboro is no more of my concern than peoples problems in Zimbabwe.

Reality is they all had a contract with an expiration date and lucked out and got a few extra years added onto it. They made tons of money over the years and could have packed it away and if they had a lot of years in they would be set for life based on knowing ahead of time they better be prepared for the day the license expires.

If the $100k stuff is true they made more in 10 years than other people make in 40 so they where lucky from the get go to land a good job and have a good job for years.

I stimulated the economy today and spent some money at china-mart and OPEC mart.

We need to spend more on education, they need job retraining on how to work a cash register at china-mart or OPEC's jiffy-mart.
No 2015 VY Calendars

Danvers, MA

#25 Aug 28, 2013
It's not like all the workers at VY have been locals! The average schmo there gets paid Very well and can easily afford to uproot and go to another nuke, as many who work there have bounced around between different nukes owned by Entergy and others anyhow

---
"we went out into the world and worked our asses off for it!"

-and over in Fukushima they've been working their asses off trying to 'remediate' the problem and now finally admitted their incompetance and are asking the world for help with the Emergency which could go critical and kill billions

Nuclear Engineer Arnie Gunderson: Fukushima Plume To Hit West Coast In 2014
-Not going away after it hits… likely to only get stronger — Fukushima will keep releasing contamination for years to come
http://enenews.com/gundersen-radioactive-plum...
--

In Victory for Activists, Entergy to Close Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant; Will More Follow?
http://fairewinds.org/media/radio/victory-act... ---

//\
'SHUT 'EM DOWN' by rap group Public Enemy -


-ironic cuz nukedom itself is the greatest public enemy!
Down East

Portland, ME

#26 Aug 28, 2013
safstor for 60 years wrote:
Let idle for 60 years...
How about a New England spent fuel storage facility!
Down East

Portland, ME

#27 Aug 28, 2013
Trust us in ME, you are going to miss Yankee!
I Know More Than You

Holden, ME

#28 Aug 28, 2013
Scarecrow wrote:
the Emergency which could go critical and kill billions
Don't worry, one day you may find that brain.
Community Disorganizer

Newtown, CT

#29 Aug 28, 2013
Down East wrote:
Trust us in ME, you are going to miss Yankee!
These fools are celebrating their own funeral.
Community Disorganizer

Newtown, CT

#30 Aug 28, 2013
Down East wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a New England spent fuel storage facility!
Excellent idea, Connecticut has some waste we could send up there.
Down East

Portland, ME

#31 Aug 28, 2013
Community Disorganizer wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent idea, Connecticut has some waste we could send up there.
the population is going to drop off with the plant closure and South Eastern VT is going to need a new tax base making it an ideal location.
Community Disorganizer

Newtown, CT

#32 Aug 28, 2013
Down East wrote:
<quoted text> the population is going to drop off with the plant closure and South Eastern VT is going to need a new tax base making it an ideal location.
It would also give the burnouts and the old bags something to live for.
Down East

Portland, ME

#33 Aug 29, 2013
Community Disorganizer wrote:
<quoted text>
It would also give the burnouts and the old bags something to live for.
Over the last decade and a half, Dunning's taxes climbed from $200 a year to $1,800. Southern VT is going to have to be hyper vigilant about creating a new tax base or else your property taxes are going to be unbearable and homes unsaleable!
irrelevant

New York, NY

#34 Aug 29, 2013
Joe wrote:
The 600 Homer Simpsons can look for work at places like C&S and join the rest of the peasants in the real economy. They are probably the type of people who cheered on school spending as long as they had a big buck job, now they can get a taste of what it's like to pay high property taxes off a crappy job if they can find one.
Yea... Or we could do like I've already done and leave that godforsaken place to work a $100k job in a different state. These "homer simpsons" are actually highly educated, well trained, skilled, and sought after workers, which is why they make more money than you. While most Vermonters contribute nothing but waste and garbage to society, these people create tremendous value. They will ALWAYS be more valuable to any society than most Vermonters. I've already left and am working a similar job in a better state. I'm sure most of the others will do the same. Welcome to irrelevancy, Vermont!
irrelevant

New York, NY

#35 Aug 29, 2013
Ohh yea, and I'm sure other well paying employers are just lining up to do business in Vermont! To my former colleagues, don't be too discouraged. It took me 3 weeks of looking to get a new job with the same standard of living in a better state.
Jersey Sure

Florham Park, NJ

#36 Aug 29, 2013
Down East wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a New England spent fuel storage facility!
Great idea, they should open it up to all of the Northeast.
Down East

Portland, ME

#37 Aug 29, 2013
From your local paper:

"Stephan Morse, who chaired the Post VY Task Force on behalf of Southeastern Vermont Economic Development Strategies, said it's due time for everyone to put aside their differences and get to work on how best to overcome the plant's closure and the county's continuing woes.
"It occurs to me there may be a real opportunity for Windham County. We've been a divisive community for years but now that's behind us may be a great time for the community to come together and work for economic recover. With this issue resolved and with a serious economic crisis facing us, it's in our best interests to work together to solve this."

It's time for everyone on all sides of this issue to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones. While it's easy to carry a grudge, it's much harder to swallow the vitriol that has been aired over the past 40 years, but it's the right thing to do and now is the time to do it."

RE: I really don't see your projected division as a continuing issue because those who relied on revenue from the plant will have long since relocated
Realist

Bennington, VT

#38 Aug 29, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I have nothing to be bitter about, it's not my problem and seeing as how there is no more (( WE )) in We The People what happens to people in Brattleboro is no more of my concern than peoples problems in Zimbabwe.
Reality is they all had a contract with an expiration date and lucked out and got a few extra years added onto it. They made tons of money over the years and could have packed it away and if they had a lot of years in they would be set for life based on knowing ahead of time they better be prepared for the day the license expires.
If the $100k stuff is true they made more in 10 years than other people make in 40 so they where lucky from the get go to land a good job and have a good job for years.
I stimulated the economy today and spent some money at china-mart and OPEC mart.
We need to spend more on education, they need job retraining on how to work a cash register at china-mart or OPEC's jiffy-mart.
We don't need to think about retraining. Unlike you they are not stuck here and will just go ahead and move on. It is the rest of us who will suffer. The $500,000 per year to non profits, the million a year in education property taxes, the construction contractors, the many volunteers on various boards and committees, and the benefit of having clean cut educated people in our community overstocked with ex hippies.
Joe

Chester, VT

#39 Aug 29, 2013
irrelevant wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea... Or we could do like I've already done and leave that godforsaken place to work a $100k job in a different state. These "homer simpsons" are actually highly educated, well trained, skilled, and sought after workers, which is why they make more money than you. While most Vermonters contribute nothing but waste and garbage to society, these people create tremendous value. They will ALWAYS be more valuable to any society than most Vermonters. I've already left and am working a similar job in a better state. I'm sure most of the others will do the same. Welcome to irrelevancy, Vermont!
How many tons of waste did VY make over 40 years ?

Reality is 1% of the county population is what the plant employed and considering it's sitting next to NH and MA the lost employment to the tri-county region is nothing.

Only a narcissists believes they are more valuable than other people, I'm glad you left and please don't come back unless it's to pickup some more yuppies and take them with you.
Realist

Bennington, VT

#40 Aug 29, 2013
Down East wrote:
From your local paper:
"Stephan Morse, who chaired the Post VY Task Force on behalf of Southeastern Vermont Economic Development Strategies, said it's due time for everyone to put aside their differences and get to work on how best to overcome the plant's closure and the county's continuing woes.
"It occurs to me there may be a real opportunity for Windham County. We've been a divisive community for years but now that's behind us may be a great time for the community to come together and work for economic recover. With this issue resolved and with a serious economic crisis facing us, it's in our best interests to work together to solve this."
It's time for everyone on all sides of this issue to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones. While it's easy to carry a grudge, it's much harder to swallow the vitriol that has been aired over the past 40 years, but it's the right thing to do and now is the time to do it."
RE: I really don't see your projected division as a continuing issue because those who relied on revenue from the plant will have long since relocated
Stephen is a nice guy but he is dead wrong. I didn't have to swallow the vitriol since I knew it was coming from a tiny minority of the population. They were powerful and had voices our of size to their population but they were not us. I'm never going to forget how ridiculous they are and at every opportunity I am going to point out how they have hurt our community. I think that is the healthy approach so that we can avoid letting these idiots from ever getting control again. Maybe the real depression that Windham County is going to suffer will finally wake everyone up to the damage that the nay sayers can do.

And now that VY is going to close who are they going to go after because it really wasn't about VY anyway. It was about their own need to attack the establishment. Who is next on the list of companies they want to drive out of here? They got C&S to move out and VY to close. Who is next?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does It Take To Get the Brattleboro Reform... 8 hr Kay 1
Review: Biologic Integrative Health - Samantha ... (Feb '10) Jun 9 Amy 65
Quick Loan Jun 4 housingfinance 1
News Autopsy results pending: Police ID troopers in ... (Dec '07) May 30 superkim_89 4
News Police roundup (Aug '09) May 29 Ripflatlander 5
Get on the bandwagon while there is still time! (Jan '16) May 24 Morgan 8
News Local man convicted of sexual abuse of his daug... (Dec '08) May '17 Miles D Wynn 35

Brattleboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brattleboro Mortgages