Southern Vermont residents prepare fo...

Southern Vermont residents prepare for life after Vt. Yankee

There are 53 comments on the WCAX-TV Burlington story from Sep 18, 2013, titled Southern Vermont residents prepare for life after Vt. Yankee. In it, WCAX-TV Burlington reports that:

Entergy officials announced last month that they will be closing the plant in the fourth quarter of next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCAX-TV Burlington.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
palm up

West Rutland, VT

#41 Sep 26, 2013
Economics 101: We Are All Part of A Community

When the community becomes poorer, most of the people in the community become poorer in one way or another.“Too bad about the plant workers but I’ll be okay” isn't really going to work for the neighboring area. Other communities have faced these types of problems when a major employer leaves the area:

•Hospitals, doctors and nurses are affected by the sudden local loss of hundreds of people with high-paying private health insurance.
•Schools will see tax revenues decline: they may drop some of their sports teams, some teachers may be laid off, others may teach bigger classes.
•Restaurants may keep shorter hours and some may fold.
•Auto dealerships may sell fewer cars.
The local community will become poorer.

And Southern Vermont is not that rich right now. The median annual income for workers in Brattleboro is around $41,000 while the state-wide median is $53,000.(From the recent Olga Peters article in The Commons.) According to the United Way report (page 21) between 22% and 60% of Windham County children get free or reduced-price lunches. The reduced-price-lunch percentage can be considered a proxy for estimating child poverty.

Windham county is not rich now, and it is about to get poorer. How could the county turn this around?
palm up

West Rutland, VT

#42 Sep 26, 2013
Economics 102: Creating Prosperity

A community becomes prosperous by making a product or providing a service that other people will spend money to buy. No community can stand on its own, importing nothing. Every community has to “export” something, at least to neighboring areas, to get money to buy what it needs. What can the Brattleboro area export?

I thought of two ways that the Brattleboro area can attempt to revitalize itself after the plant leaves. Unfortunately, I don’t think either of these two ways will work.....

http://yesvy.blogspot.com/2013/09/after-vermo...
Goodbye Entergy

Rindge, NH

#43 Sep 26, 2013
Negative Growth wrote:
<quoted text>And your place of employment? The schools in your district? The grocery store and resturants? Local Hospitals and health clinics? How about anchor businesses like C&S Wholesale Grocers that help to reduce your everyday costs by paying what I like to call "anchor taxes"? Your library and place of worship, our farmers....
What about their increase in energy cost?
Oh crap. Guess all of the above will be forced to lower the heat, lower the lights, get rid of the flat screen TVs, and hang the wash out to dry. Curses on you VY for making people to go through such misery, lowering the heat, lowering the lights and having to conserve our given right as amerikans to have cheap energy. PLEASE COME BACK ENTERGY or we will surely go to hell in a handbasket
Good luck with that

West Rutland, VT

#44 Sep 26, 2013
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

&#8213; Benjamin Franklin
JWitness

Brattleboro, VT

#45 Sep 27, 2013
Negative Growth wrote:
<quoted text>And your place of employment? The schools in your district? The grocery store and resturants? Local Hospitals and health clinics? How about anchor businesses like C&S Wholesale Grocers that help to reduce your everyday costs by paying what I like to call "anchor taxes"? Your library and place of worship, our farmers....
What about their increase in energy cost?
Yep, anytime closing a facility means new economic challenges, it should not happen. In Germany, after their defeat in WWII, huge facilities like Dachau and Auschwitz closed, truly destroying the local economies!

Ok, yes the comparison is silly in many ways. Except that to put jobs above health is idiocy.

Anyways, regardless, Yankee isn't closing because of all those folks whom you disagree with (meaning they are clearly below you intellectually, right?). They are closing because of economic reasons.

Farmers? Farmers in general need you less than you need them? Churches? They tend to survive pretty much anything except natural disasters.

Change is inevitable, and natural. And so is, apparently, whining about it.
Freedom once was here

West Rutland, VT

#46 Sep 27, 2013
Some here think energy should be like diamonds. Though diamonds are actually a dime a dozen, very few are allowed onto the market in any given year, creating false scarcity and making them hundreds of times more expensive.

Why should we give up our technology, go back to living like the eighteen hundreds, create a false society where only the wealthiest Vermonters can afford energy, all because you choose to live that way?

Our governor recently built a brand new HGTV home. Shumlin has millions of dollars and lives alone, shouldn't he be made to live in an energy efficient apartment?

I was a big supporter of ridge line protection laws, only to have this Governor take advantage of all of our efforts to keep development off the ridge lines. Decades of preservation only to have speculators invited in to install what amounts to massive lawn ornaments.
Freedom once was here

West Rutland, VT

#47 Sep 27, 2013
"Farmers? Farmers in general need you less than you need them? Churches? They tend to survive pretty much anything except natural disasters.

Change is inevitable, and natural. And so is, apparently, whining about it." (JWitness)

Try reading "Negative Growth" in context, the point being farmers and most other businesses will find it difficult to survive these big increases in energy costs.

Oh, and WW 2 was hardly a jobs program, take a history and business class will you!
Freedom once was here

West Rutland, VT

#48 Sep 27, 2013
JWitness wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, anytime closing a facility means new economic challenges, it should not happen. In Germany, after their defeat in WWII, huge facilities like Dachau and Auschwitz closed, truly destroying the local economies!
Ok, yes the comparison is silly in many ways. Except that to put jobs above health is idiocy.
Anyways, regardless, Yankee isn't closing because of all those folks whom you disagree with (meaning they are clearly below you intellectually, right?). They are closing because of economic reasons.
Farmers? Farmers in general need you less than you need them? Churches? They tend to survive pretty much anything except natural disasters.
Change is inevitable, and natural. And so is, apparently, whining about it.
. My kid wants me to add,"Germany didn't even have control of Germany after WW2. We controlled one part and Russia controlled the other."

You have been schooled!
JWitness

Brattleboro, VT

#49 Sep 27, 2013
Freedom once was here wrote:
<quoted text>. My kid wants me to add,"Germany didn't even have control of Germany after WW2. We controlled one part and Russia controlled the other."
You have been schooled!
Your an arrogant little boy. "Schooled"? The camps got shut down, with job losses. The larger political details are irrelevant to point which was that closing down a facility *does* create job loses. But ok, here: When Dow Chemicals was forced to close its Agent Orange making facilities, jobs were lost. But it had to happen regardless. Same with when the large Asbestos mining and processing operations started to get shut down in the 60's/70's.

You can't base decisions regarding public health on jobs at all.

Beside kiddo, don't you live in Burlington? Why do you give a F about down here?
Goodbye Entergy

Rindge, NH

#50 Sep 27, 2013
JWitness wrote:
<quoted text>
Your an arrogant little boy. "Schooled"? The camps got shut down, with job losses. The larger political details are irrelevant to point which was that closing down a facility *does* create job loses. But ok, here: When Dow Chemicals was forced to close its Agent Orange making facilities, jobs were lost. But it had to happen regardless. Same with when the large Asbestos mining and processing operations started to get shut down in the 60's/70's.
You can't base decisions regarding public health on jobs at all.
Beside kiddo, don't you live in Burlington? Why do you give a F about down here?
. That's right. He's an arrogant little boy and a big poo-poo too!
Freedom once was here

West Rutland, VT

#51 Sep 27, 2013

SOUTHEASTERN VERMONT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES ELECTS NEW BOARD MEMBERS; REORGANIZES

Vtdigger.org
Freedom once was here

West Rutland, VT

#52 Sep 27, 2013
Michael Hebert: There’s a great difference between our situation and that in Maine. One being we’ve already seen a tenfold increase in our tax on the education side because of Act 60.
Also, it was not a 14-year-early closure. We had lead time. And I must say, I’m very thankful for folks like Erna Puffer, who negotiated many of the Yankee contracts. At her insistence, the town did create capital funds and reserves, and for a number of years, we maintained them so we would look to have a stable tax base for about a decade after the inevitable time when VY would close.
When Act 60 came into play, for all intents and purposes, Entergy came off our Grand List. Act 60 changed that somewhat on the school side; all our reserve funds are depleted. We have very minor reserves for building and maintenance, and that sort of thing; there’s still a little bit on the town side.
It will not be pleasant, but it is not a shocker. And we’re hoping that many of the folks who reside in Vernon now who are senior employees at the plant very well may stay in town as a retirement home.
I think the main thing for us in Vernon is to diminish the panic as much as possible. We don’t want our real estate values to go into free fall.

from The Commons
Freedom once was here

West Rutland, VT

#53 Sep 27, 2013
Whom do you trust?

The economic commission that just turned tail, or the politician pleading for calm?

Do actions still speak louder than words?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just another religious criminal (Oct '14) 2 hr Urinoff 146
Global Financial Meltdown (Oct '11) 4 hr TheDailySheeple d... 17
Audit of decommissioning fund should be public (Aug '10) 4 hr Alex 39
Vermonts new economy (Jun '14) Thu Make Vermont Diverse 143
The third world of science in Vermont/Brattleboro (Nov '11) May 24 Urinoff 36
Why is topix deleting half of my posts? (Aug '11) May 21 Urinoff 41
Why Are You Atheists So Angry? May 19 Urinoff 15
More from around the web

Brattleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE