Revise 2014; we don't have to live in...

Revise 2014; we don't have to live in the dark!

Posted in the Brattleboro Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Poor VT

Morrisville, VT

#1 Jan 1, 2014
In my opinion, it is not a good idea to turn the Vermont Yankee site into a so-called “green field,” whatever that means. The site is much too valuable as an electricity generating center or hub.
All of the essential infrastructure and components are already in place, most going back to 1972 and before. These include the transmission switchyard, substation, big transformers, cooling water intake and discharge structures, aquatic and terrestrial environmental assessments, geologic and seismic assessments, groundwater studies — the list could go on and on.
The site should remain ready to accommodate future electricity generation possibilities, including photovoltaic solar, natural gas, biomass, a new generation of advanced, passively cooled/safe, small, modular, standardized fission reactors, or maybe, someday in the distant future, a demonstration/test nuclear fusion reactor.
VY has been a good plant — low-impact, virtually zero carbon emissions for the past 40 years — but it is old technology and should retire and make way for the future.
The “greenies” want to put all of their eggs into the smart grid/renewables (wind and solar) basket, which I think is unwise.
Our near-term electric energy future, I believe, should consist of a wise mix of new-generation nuclear, solar, and wind. I am firmly opposed to coal-fired generation. The term “clean coal” is an oxymoron.
Poor VT

Morrisville, VT

#2 Jan 1, 2014
Dr. Daniel Marx

He holds a doctorate in zoology
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#3 Jan 1, 2014
You don’t get it….Entergy wants to create a shortage of electricity. They and their corporate buddies being be in the business of blocking new sources and pipe lines.

The feds should step in declaring a regional emergency…as example, put in new pipelines without any red tape.

Matter of fact, if the market can’t come up with the funding, the USA should form a new agency to fund a new govrnment pipeline.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#4 Jan 1, 2014
You don’t get it….Entergy wants to create a shortage of electricity. They and their corporate buddies being be in the business of blocking new sources and pipe lines.

The feds should step in declaring a regional emergency…as example, put in new pipelines without any red tape.

Matter of fact, if the market can’t come up with the funding, the USA should form a new agency to fund a new pipeline.

The philosophy of using all sources of electricity means really don’t piss off any voter block...get all the votes I can without doing what is best for the country..
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#5 Jan 1, 2014
This going back to the trough of global warming issues and energy...it is the worst decision the administration can make.

…mindless altruism mining for useless positive public relation.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#6 Jan 1, 2014
positive public relations.

It they talk pretty….it will make our lives better?
Poor VT

Morrisville, VT

#7 Jan 2, 2014
72 nuclear power plants are under construction worldwide.
Poor VT

Morrisville, VT

#8 Jan 2, 2014
ENERGY | 9/12/2013 @ 12:31PM |9,465 views
The War On Coal Goes Global: China Bans New Plants As Obama EPA Plans Killer Regs
http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman...
Nuclear-News dot Net

Westland, MI

#9 Jan 2, 2014
Poor VT wrote:
In my opinion, the term “Safe & Green Nuclear Power” is an oxymoron.

-Oh it's not just an opinion but a proven fact!
Poor VT

South Burlington, VT

#10 Jan 2, 2014
THEHINDU.COM
Is working in a nuclear power plant risky?
Jan 1, 2014 10:17 PM , By K.S. PARTHASARATHY

Several studies of nuclear power plant workers have shown that work in a nuclear power plant is not a risky occupation
Poor VT

South Burlington, VT

#11 Jan 2, 2014
Nuclear-News dot Net wrote:
<quoted text>
-Oh it's not just an opinion but a proven fact!
Why do you feel the need to misquote the author?

The accurate statement, "I am firmly opposed to coal-fired generation. The term “clean coal” is an oxymoron."

Are you afraid to consider another's arguments?
Poor VT

South Burlington, VT

#12 Jan 2, 2014
Local grid is at 30 cents a kWh wit temps continuing to fall...
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#13 Jan 3, 2014
Even VY would be safe at those prices..better yet, build a new plant putting out three times as much electrictiy as Vermont Yankee.
Poor VT

South Burlington, VT

#14 Jan 4, 2014
Mike Mulligan wrote:
Even VY would be safe at those prices..better yet, build a new plant putting out three times as much electrictiy as Vermont Yankee.
GORHAM, N.H.(AP)— New Hampshire’s Gorham Paper and Tissue mill announced Friday that it is temporarily restructuring and cutting staff.

Sudden, extreme increases in New England’s natural gas prices is forcing the temporary restructuring of its papermaking operations, the company said. The mill plans to operate only one or two paper machines on a regular basis the rest of the winter, Chief Executive Officer Michael Cummings said.

The mill uses natural gas to generate steam used in the papermaking process.

‘‘We can’t run paper machines when production costs exceed prices for our products,’’ Cummings wrote in an email to state officials.

He said it is too soon to tell how many people will be laid off but estimated it would be between 20 and 50 workers. Other workers will experience intermittent, weeklong layoffs based on the mill’s production needs. Staffing levels will be re-evaluated based on gas prices in the spring, he said.

Gov. Maggie Hassan instructed state officials to work with affected employees.

‘‘I encourage the company to strongly consider any options that could reduce the number of potential job losses,’’ Hassan said in a statement.

She said she is working with New England governors on improving the regional energy prices.

‘‘I will continue working closely with all of our partners to identify ways to build a stronger, more reliable energy future for New Hampshire,’’ Hassan said.
Nuclear-News ot Net

Rutland, VT

#15 Jan 4, 2014
Poor VT wrote:
<quoted text>GORHAM, N.H.(AP)— New Hampshire’s Gorham Paper and Tissue mill announced Friday that it is temporarily restructuring and cutting staff.
‘‘.
so how the hell are we gunna wipe our asses!?
[he he he, just applying the same silly nuketard logic about nukeplants SHUTTING DOWN and causing us to be 'In The Dark' to this news]
Poor VT

South Burlington, VT

#16 Jan 4, 2014
Nuclear-News ot Net wrote:
<quoted text>
so how the hell are we gunna wipe our asses!?
[he he he, just applying the same silly nuketard logic about nukeplants SHUTTING DOWN and causing us to be 'In The Dark' to this news]
Seems like you think eating your own shit is an option.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#17 Jan 4, 2014
They probably purchase electric contract based on the market...it call being stupid!

A fly by night new electric company nobody ever heard about...
Ewe In Dark As2 NukeTruth

Rutland, VT

#19 Jan 7, 2014
Poor VT wrote:
<quoted text> Seems like you think eating your own shit is an option.
no, but ewe are welcome to it Poor boy

the whole world is starting to get really sick & tired of having to eat food that's getting more and more radioactive thanks to the sh't coming from those G-d reactors that a-holes like ewe so stupidly support
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#20 Jan 7, 2014
We 'd be a lot poorer if we lost them all...
WWIII May Begin In 2014

Rutland, VT

#21 Jan 7, 2014
Mike Mulligan wrote:
We 'd be a lot poorer if we lost them all...
Japan lost a few when they went Ka-Blooey on 3/11/11
and the economy of that country is definitely poorer now, near dead in fact
the vultures are now circling it, Literally
==

In The Last 3 Months, Japan Scrambled Jets 185 Times Against Chinese And Russian Aircraft
Oct 15, 2013
http://www.businessinsider.com/japan-intercep...

Chinese, Russian planes ruffle Japan's air defense on same day
Nov. 21, 2013
http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-c...
--
-
'God Of Wonders'
the Documentary (2009) Full Length

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Biologic Integrative Health - Samantha ... (Feb '10) Jan 3 Wtf dr Moore 64
Melissa Barratt's family and friends... (Aug '11) Jan 3 Long Island Liberal 26
News Man accuses judge of extortion, theft (Apr '09) Dec 25 MADD 32
I did not vote for Trump, nor for Hillary. Nor ... Dec 21 Lorette 1
Shumlin Gave Up On Single Payer Health Care (Dec '14) Dec 21 Lorette 14
News Judge dismisses roofer case mid-trial (Oct '08) Dec '16 Long Island Liberal 10
Evangelicals are shameless hypocrites Nov '16 Prison4 Billary a... 3

Brattleboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brattleboro Mortgages