300 Teaching Jobs On The Line

300 Teaching Jobs On The Line

There are 167 comments on the Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal story from Apr 1, 2010, titled 300 Teaching Jobs On The Line. In it, Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal reports that:

At the rate that North Country school districts are announcing staff cuts, the area could lose more than 300 jobs - the equivalent of a small to mid-sized industry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ogdensburg Courier-Observer/Journal.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
DOG the bounty hunter

Dunkirk, NY

#1 Apr 2, 2010
to bad for them, maybe now they will know whats its like to have to go back to school to learn again, morans with no brains.
education

Sauquoit, NY

#2 Apr 3, 2010
DOG the bounty hunter wrote:
to bad for them, maybe now they will know whats its like to have to go back to school to learn again, morans with no brains.
hahahahahahaha "moran" L0l g0tcha

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#3 Apr 4, 2010
Aha...So, that's why most on this board come across as being dumb & uneducated...it's because they are, they were taught by dumb teachers. I've had brief moments of feeling very sorry for some of you, not all but, some.
r u kidding me

Saranac Lake, NY

#4 Apr 4, 2010
Go back to school? Almost every teacher in NY have Master degrees how much more education would you like them to get? Damn there are some dumb people out there. I feel sooooo sorry for them. Guess we cant save them all.
Voila

United States

#5 Apr 5, 2010
It not dumb teachers, it's dumb parents who blame teachers. The child's first teacher is the parent.
Concerned

Parrish, FL

#6 Apr 6, 2010
HELLO people, with jobs lost, start thinking of the children not yourselves. The way the children are today needing more discipline YES
We should be looking to help with the problems within the schools... The Gov. is going wild and cutting go after him and ask your questionS.
Self interest

Oneida, NY

#7 Apr 7, 2010
the Ogdensburg City School district is over-bloated with teachers, teacher assistants, and teacher aides for a graduating class of approximatley 85. for 35 years, the district has grown exponentially yet the student population has dropped--check the census data on it. the taxpayers require cuts in teaching personnel and other employees; and, requires techers in particular to pick up initially 10% of their medical and dental costs. negotiation for the next contract then begins with additional percentages taken from the teaching personnel. If you don't like it, go teach some place else. We are sick and tired of your greed.
gym

Gilboa, NY

#8 Apr 7, 2010
Everybody wanted to become a teacher, good pay, good benefits, summers off.
Just look at the people that come here without an education, the teachers are not doing their job.
Neither are the parents
unbelievable

Syracuse, NY

#9 Apr 9, 2010
Self interest wrote:
the Ogdensburg City School district is over-bloated with teachers, teacher assistants, and teacher aides for a graduating class of approximatley 85. for 35 years, the district has grown exponentially yet the student population has dropped--check the census data on it. the taxpayers require cuts in teaching personnel and other employees; and, requires techers in particular to pick up initially 10% of their medical and dental costs. negotiation for the next contract then begins with additional percentages taken from the teaching personnel. If you don't like it, go teach some place else. We are sick and tired of your greed.

wow.. facts please teachers spend hours before and after school educating,caring,teaching,coun seling,consoling,comforting, your children. fact- someone with medicaid or welfare benefits makes/takes in more money than a veteran teacher of 14+ years. Fact- I challenge anyone of you to come try to do the job.. just for a week. distraught children who are coming to school exhausted,scared, and unfed. Children who are left to get themselves ready,walk themselves to school, and then pretend everything is ok when they get to school. Try to be the teacher who's heart is broken because little johnny is all upset because noone helped him do his homework-so now as well as being in trouble in school he will have to deal with mom/boyfriend/dad when they get home. teaching is a Thankless job- no one appreciates. you are lucky to have the caliber of teachers you do..
Crapola

Oneida, NY

#10 Apr 21, 2010
Whinning at a starting salary range of 34,000 with multiple step increases and no health care costs? Wow, what a greedy ---- you must be? You're BS, run your scam and propaganda on someone else.
Teacher Supporter

Harrisville, NY

#11 Apr 21, 2010
A teacher is required to have a Master's degree in order to keep their certification. A Master's degree has an associated cost of roughly $100,000. Invest this much and make $35,000 a year...doesn't seem to be a worthy salary for the investment. Teachers are in it for more than just the pay...they are in it for the love of teaching.

I left St.Lawrence county 15 years ago because of the lack of employment opportunities. The area is slowly rotting away. There are still some good people left but the majority is the white trash, trailer park, welfare collecting, scum bags that frequent these boards. The comments made here that are disrespecting teacher just reaffirms this.

Maybe if you had a job and did not live off of public aid... maybe if you closed your legs and stopped having children that you can't afford to care for...maybe if you spent a little more time raising your children and doing YOUR part, maybe that ever-growing Ogdensburg school district would start shrinking.

When you make comments like this:
"Wow, what a greedy ---- you must be? You're BS, run your scam and propaganda on someone else."

You are proving just how uneducated you really are. If you want to make a change, you need to start with yourself first. Getting on a message board and nasty comments regarding teachers is not a way to induce positive change. Go out and get a job and contribute something positive back into society.
Wowee

Oneida, NY

#12 Apr 21, 2010
the immoral majority that possesses a clear understanding o petty bourgeois morality, and wishes to super-impose it on everyone else, can go rot. Advanced degrees are a dime a dozen in SLC dumbass. there is no opportunity here; anyone who could has left. Everyone else is trapped. Nothing here bu federal, state funding streams, and everyone is on board and feeding. I don't care what alphabetica letters you use to denote it, but it's all welfare or public assistance when it comes from govy. I must agree, Peddle your propaganda somewhere else. We'eve lived here too long to soak up anymore bs.
Teacher Supporter

Harrisville, NY

#13 Apr 22, 2010
Dear Wowee;

Thank you for further reinfiorcing my previous point with your incoherent dribble. In all of your rambling and attempts to use big words to make yourself sound less backwards, you have failed to make any logical arguement whatsoever.

Can you elaborate on these two comments because I have no idea what point you are trying to make in these two sentences. I am struggling to understand your point of view when you refer to "petty bourgeois morality" and "peddle your propaganda".

Please explaing theses...

"I must agree, Peddle your propaganda somewhere else."

"the immoral majority that possesses a clear understanding o petty bourgeois morality, and wishes to super-impose it on everyone else, can go rot."

I made my way through St. Lawrence County about a month ago and the entire area is rotting into the ground. Nothing has changed (for the better) in over 30 years. The most humorous aspect is that there is now a push to expand route 81 to make a "Northern Corridor". Northern Corridor to what???? There is nothing of value up there. The only benefit to having a northern corridor would be the jobs that it would create to construct it and the improved speed at which residents could exit the area once the road is opened for use.

When the Mall in Massena, the only mall in a 1-1/2 hour radius, cannot manage to stay in business, it is a sign of the stability of the area. When I was a kid, Massena was a fairly nice area. It is a $hit-hole now. The funiest part is that there are still residents of Massena that live in the nicer areas that think that their $hit doesn't stink and they are the next Bill Gates...here is a wake up call...YOU LIVE IN MASSENA! You are not even a big fish in a small pond...you are a just another turd in the septic tank called St. Lawrence County!

If it was not for a few remaining family members in the area, I would NEVER return to that hell-hole.

The funniest part of all is that the local municipalities have now taken to writing as many traffic and speeding tickets as possible in order to fund local governments. What a joke.
Dottie

Utica, NY

#14 Apr 22, 2010
Teacher Supporter wrote:
Dear Wowee;
Thank you for further reinfiorcing my previous point with your incoherent dribble. In all of your rambling and attempts to use big words to make yourself sound less backwards, you have failed to make any logical arguement whatsoever.
Can you elaborate on these two comments because I have no idea what point you are trying to make in these two sentences. I am struggling to understand your point of view when you refer to "petty bourgeois morality" and "peddle your propaganda".
Please explaing theses...
"I must agree, Peddle your propaganda somewhere else."
"the immoral majority that possesses a clear understanding o petty bourgeois morality, and wishes to super-impose it on everyone else, can go rot."
I made my way through St. Lawrence County about a month ago and the entire area is rotting into the ground. Nothing has changed (for the better) in over 30 years. The most humorous aspect is that there is now a push to expand route 81 to make a "Northern Corridor". Northern Corridor to what???? There is nothing of value up there. The only benefit to having a northern corridor would be the jobs that it would create to construct it and the improved speed at which residents could exit the area once the road is opened for use.
When the Mall in Massena, the only mall in a 1-1/2 hour radius, cannot manage to stay in business, it is a sign of the stability of the area. When I was a kid, Massena was a fairly nice area. It is a $hit-hole now. The funiest part is that there are still residents of Massena that live in the nicer areas that think that their $hit doesn't stink and they are the next Bill Gates...here is a wake up call...YOU LIVE IN MASSENA! You are not even a big fish in a small pond...you are a just another turd in the septic tank called St. Lawrence County!
If it was not for a few remaining family members in the area, I would NEVER return to that hell-hole.
The funniest part of all is that the local municipalities have now taken to writing as many traffic and speeding tickets as possible in order to fund local governments. What a joke.
You are the perfect example of the saying " you can't polish a turd." Do all of us "bumpkins" a favor...do not come back here..invite your family where you live.
Achtung

Oneida, NY

#15 Apr 22, 2010
Sie die direcktion verloren!
Teacher Supporter

Harrisville, NY

#16 Apr 22, 2010
Oh Dottie! You're so clever! Did you think that one up yourself or did someone use that as a pick-up line on you last night at the Club 37 while you were sipping on fine wine from a cardboard box?

Here is a reality check for you. About 4 years ago, through the management of the Salvation Army, the founders of the McDonald's Corporation set up a fund to build community centers in needy neighborhoods across the US. You might remember it as the Kroc Center that was intended to be built near the old location of the Massena Building Supply.

The only critera that the funding required was that the town provide money in their budgets for the routine maintenance of the facility. The town of Massena was initially granted one of the Community centers by the Salvation Army only to have it revoked a few years later during the design stage becuase the town could not show where they had any source of income to support the maintenance of such a facility. If this is not the handwriting on the wall that you are living in what is soon to be a ghost town, I don't know what else can prove it to you.

Look at the list of major employers that have shut down their operation in the last 15 years...GM, Kraft Foods, Newton Falls Paper, Reynolds Metals, and major portions of Corning Glass. Furthermore, look at what types of institutions comprise the largest employers in the region...Universities, School Districts, Grocery Store chains, and Prisions. There are very few manfactures that remain in that area.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, ALCOA's days in Massena (at both plants) are numbered. When that plant closes, Massena will cease to exist as you know it.

Dottie, if things were only that easy that I could just not return to the Massena Area, life would be grand both for you and I. Unfortunately, the family is unwilling to relocate...and as such, we are forced to visit a few times a year.

“Hello. ^_^”

Lisbon, NY

#17 Apr 22, 2010
Teacher Supporter wrote:
Oh Dottie! You're so clever! Did you think that one up yourself or did someone use that as a pick-up line on you last night at the Club 37 while you were sipping on fine wine from a cardboard box?
Here is a reality check for you. About 4 years ago, through the management of the Salvation Army, the founders of the McDonald's Corporation set up a fund to build community centers in needy neighborhoods across the US. You might remember it as the Kroc Center that was intended to be built near the old location of the Massena Building Supply.
The only critera that the funding required was that the town provide money in their budgets for the routine maintenance of the facility. The town of Massena was initially granted one of the Community centers by the Salvation Army only to have it revoked a few years later during the design stage becuase the town could not show where they had any source of income to support the maintenance of such a facility. If this is not the handwriting on the wall that you are living in what is soon to be a ghost town, I don't know what else can prove it to you.
Look at the list of major employers that have shut down their operation in the last 15 years...GM, Kraft Foods, Newton Falls Paper, Reynolds Metals, and major portions of Corning Glass. Furthermore, look at what types of institutions comprise the largest employers in the region...Universities, School Districts, Grocery Store chains, and Prisions. There are very few manfactures that remain in that area.
Regardless of what anyone tells you, ALCOA's days in Massena (at both plants) are numbered. When that plant closes, Massena will cease to exist as you know it.
Dottie, if things were only that easy that I could just not return to the Massena Area, life would be grand both for you and I. Unfortunately, the family is unwilling to relocate...and as such, we are forced to visit a few times a year.
Ms. Supporter, while I agree with you on several points, I feel the need to speak my piece here for a minute. First off, yes, this area is steadily sinking down the tubes. I don't think anyone can argue that point. Just because an area is deteriorating doesn't mean that everyone who lives there is as bad as you seem to think. You've insulted the general population here with your generalities and harsh comments, and that's not really fair. Some of us who still live and work in St. Lawrence County like it here, despite all the terrible things you've made note of. It's quiet, it's out of the way, and despite places like Ogdensburg it's a relatively safe area to live in. Sure, there's drug dealers and your occasional white kid who thinks he's a "gangsta" and does something stupid. But I ask you this, can you find me a place in the US that doesn't have at least one of those? All I'm asking is that before you pass such unfair judgement on all of us, take into account that not everyone who lives here is a low-life who drinks wine from a cardboard box.

“Hello. ^_^”

Lisbon, NY

#18 Apr 22, 2010
I apologize, it was rude of me to assume you are a female, "Teacher Supporter". If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. I just re-read my post and realized that no where on this thread have you made any indication to your gender. Again, if I'm mistaken, I apologize.
Teacher Supporter

Harrisville, NY

#19 Apr 22, 2010
Kairi,

My comments were not intended to alienate the entire population of the area and if they came off that way, to you, I apologize. It is frustrating to read articles and comments on these boards and see the general lack of morals, slanderous remarks and unsubstantiated claims that are displayed by most on here and know that it is a representative sample of the general population.

You are correct that with every locality, there are the very good folks, not-so-good and then the down-right dreadful people. When an areas economy goes into decline several thing typically happen, vast quantities of professional people exit the area for opportunities elsewhere. While this happens, unskilled labor tends to become the majority remaining. Some of these unskilled laborers retrain themselves for better opportunities and others simply compete for fewer job opportunities and as a result, drive the market value for that position downward.

It is frustrating to read about teachers getting slammed for "making too much", "having it too easy" and on and on. What the laymen does not understand is that teaching in today's classroom is not what it was 20 years ago. Teachers today are so much more than educators. They are counselors, psycologists, referees and on and on. On top of all of this, they are provided with no budget for materials, using outdated materials and expected to produce miracles when it comes to educating the students.

I have heard horror stories of teachers going out and purchasing winter coats for a few poorer children in their classrooms only to have one parent or the other sell that child's coat for drug money.

People complain that it is the teachers' fault when the overall scores earned on standardized tests come back too low. It is the teachers fault!..is the common response. At what point are the parents going to take ownership in the success or failure of their own child. No one takes ownership in their own responsibilities, successes or failures anymore. Today it is all about the blame game.

It is not uncommon for the really good teachers to spend upwards of $2,000 a year on materials for their classroom. This money comes out of their paychecks...their personal income. If you went to your office and your employer asked you to take your first two paychecks and go out to buy a computer so you could do your clerical job, wouldn't you be blown away by this? Of course you would, but yet teachers are expected to do this as common practice.

The average response to issues like this by the average reader on these boards include "you can't polish a turd" and "Peddle your propaganda somewhere else."

Your response Kairi, is the only coherent response that I have had. You are correct that the area is generally a safe place to live. The close proximity to the Adirondack mountains is another great attribute. There are a lot of good, hardworking residents. Unfortunately, the positive actions of 10 good residents are often canceled out buy the negative action of one "gangsta".

I don't think that everyone up there drinks wine from a cardboard box...but it is highly probable that someone that would make a comment like "polish a turd" would likely be cracking a fresh box while typing their one-line-zingers.
Dottie

Utica, NY

#20 Apr 22, 2010
Teacher Supporter wrote:
You are still a turd. Debbie Downer Turd.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brasher Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rebecca Rose Primeaux 1 hr Memphis 1
News Casino revenues due soon (Jan '07) 5 hr barrlegigs 17
Lanuevilles 6 hr Truth 1
noon dog 6 hr bonanazas 1
Community based policing would help Massena! 6 hr road crack 2
Secret late nigh meeting in massena (Sep '12) Sun eyewittness 40
News Massena elementary school principal will not lo... Apr '16 violent drunk 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brasher Falls Mortgages