Posted in the Branson Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Pipeline Jack

Kissee Mills, MO

#1 Dec 29, 2007
SO YOU WANT TO BE A PIPELINE WELDER?

As you know, I am part owner of the Hobart School of Welding in Houston Town.

Regardless of the years experieince I have under the hood, be it , tacking, fitting, teaching, welding in that order, I would never belittle the way you did, a institution of learning, regardless of wether I agree with what and how they teach or fully stand behind them.

I have several questions for you, and please answer them trutrhfully.

How many times have you had to tape a tig rig to your finger to reach back and padweld a generating bank tube 4 deep on the backside having only a mirror to guide you?

Do you know what pad welding is? How do you weld the backside of a heater 180 degree elbow when there are 4 other elbows preventing you from seeing what you are trying to weld?

How many verts,(do you know what a vert is?) have you welded that made 100% xray?(do you know what 100% xray consists of?)

How do you make sure a junction passes X-ray,(what is a junction weld?) How do you rig up to take the top 60' of a cat cracker off?Do you know what the cat cracker does?

How many CFH do you set the purge line at to weld a joint? When do you purge a joint?

I could go on and on with questions I know you do not have the slightest idea I am even talking about.

That is not the idea behind this forum.

It is to help those who need and want help.

I am willing to answer and ask questions from anyone in this forum that is willing to answer my sometimes really stupid questions, and also answer any question which I feel I have knowledge on,the questions I have asked you, I have performed.

I went to a technical shool to learn welding. When I graduated after 8 months,(with a diploma) I went to work in a fab shop thinking I knew it all.

It did not take long at all to realize, I knew nothing except how to deposit sound weld metal.

Grinding 2 days after welding 1 was an excellent educationThe key word here is education.

I hope you learn this as well. I will not read in this forum, some one who has not ever had to make a welding helmet out of a pair of cutting goggles to squeeze his head into the area where he has to weld, and make 200% X- ray call a school that has trained welders for years rinky dink.

If I offended you with my first reply, then I sure as H e double toothpick will make you madder than the same aforementioned with this post, and you know what?

I really could care less if you want to try and belittle me with posts about ownership of the Hobart School of welding, as I have been there did that, and still can.

CAN YOU???

Have a nice day

Mike

Michael J. Blaha
Owner,
Hobart Welding School
Houston,Texas

~~~~~~~
click just ahead here to read more comments about welding.
~~~~~~
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl...
mooutlaw

AOL

#4 Sep 21, 2008
No way, I want to make big money building street rods.
Philly Flame

Omaha, NE

#5 Sep 22, 2008
Yawn!!!
welding god

Hendersonville, NC

#6 Oct 3, 2008
tig welding is for girls
kris

Mount Washington, KY

#7 Nov 3, 2008
Pipeline Jack wrote:
Regardless of the years experieince I have under the hood, be it , tacking, fitting, teaching, welding in that order, I would never belittle the way you did, a institution of learning, regardless of wether I agree with what and how they teach or fully stand behind them.
How many times have you had to tape a tig rig to your finger to reach back and padweld a generating bank tube 4 deep on the backside having only a mirror to guide you?
Do you know what pad welding is? How do you weld the backside of a heater 180 degree elbow when there are 4 other elbows preventing you from seeing what you are trying to weld?
How many verts,(do you know what a vert is?) have you welded that made 100% xray?(do you know what 100% xray consists of?)
How do you make sure a junction passes X-ray,(what is a junction weld?) How do you rig up to take the top 60' of a cat cracker off?Do you know what the cat cracker does?
How many CFH do you set the purge line at to weld a joint? When do you purge a joint?
I could go on and on with questions I know you do not have the slightest idea I am even talking about.
I am willing to answer and ask questions from anyone in this forum that is willing to answer my sometimes really stupid questions, and also answer any question which I feel I have knowledge on,the questions I have asked you, I have performed.
I went to a technical shool to learn welding. When I graduated after 8 months,(with a diploma) I went to work in a fab shop thinking I knew it all.
It did not take long at all to realize, I knew nothing except how to deposit sound weld metal.
Grinding 2 days after welding 1 was an excellent educationThe key word here is education.
I hope you learn this as well. I will not read in this forum, some one who has not ever had to make a welding helmet out of a pair of cutting goggles to squeeze his head into the area where he has to weld, and make 200% X- ray call a school that has trained welders for years rinky dink.
If I offended you with my first reply, then I sure as H e double toothpick will make you madder than the same aforementioned with this post, and you know what?
I really could care less if you want to try and belittle me with posts about ownership of the Hobart School of welding, as I have been there did that, and still can.
CAN YOU???
Have a nice day
Mike
Michael J. Blaha
Owner,
Hobart Welding School
Houston,Texas
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Hi there, can you tell me where a person could find a fabrication school in the Ohio/Kentucky/TN area? I don't know if I am even in the right forum/place to find this info. Also, can you tell me anything about the Hobart School in Troy, OH? Is the structural steel/pipe welding combo course worth the money? I have a family member who is thinking about taking this program. Any help would be great; I can't find reviews anywhere.
bill

United States

#8 Jul 28, 2009

How much does a typical welding school cost? how much does the typical welder make? See i like welding i know How to weld, or at least i think i do. i have never heard any of those terms used besides a x-ray test. is it possible for me to go to school and come out with a high paying job
FOX MAN

Billings, MT

#9 Sep 12, 2009
Well I think that the stuff you said for up comeing welders was bull shit. if you want to be a pipeliner well you need to practice practice and practice till you cant anymore then do it again. cause all that seperates a new welder for one who thinks hes good is this. Rember acting like a premadona makes you look bad and you get what you give.Also rember you will be a rollmodel some day too and you dont want to come off as over gratefull self centered asshole
bola

Kuwait

#10 Oct 30, 2009
Is it required to continue the welding of pipeline once it commences. What will be the effect of E 8045-P2 electrode if welding interruoted in between.
MONTY t

AOL

#11 Jan 4, 2010
i think it is great, most of my family are welders, i went to the school at vo tech and learned enough to screw some stuff up, my uncle welded on nuclear powerhouse construction for 30+ year and his back proves it the man barely has a high school ed and can work math in his head quicker than a college math professor , i respect the job thanks
Greg Dunn

Somerset, KY

#12 Jan 12, 2010
My step Dad was a Pipeline Eng. I have known many Pipeline Welders. These guys are incredible. Every weld they make gets an X-ray. It canty have any inclusions of slag or debris. It must be uniform and not lumpy etc. Most all of these guys have welded in many industries for 20+ years and bring a lot of experience to the table.
You will be required to work in all weather. You will work on new pipe just being layed or old pipe what has had almost anything ran thru it. I once saw a Welders helper who had long hair get a trim in an instant. He was grinding on a piece of old oil pipeline that had been out of service for 10+ years. Evidently there was either methane gas of natural gas in the line and when he started grinding it flashed and burnt it all off except what was under his hard hat. You must be willing to go where the work is. We traveled from state to state when I was a kid. I was never in a school for more than 5 months. It was great I saw a lot of the USA and learned a lot about people. I could go on but I won't. Good luck on your studies and I hope you attain your dream.
Stacie

AOL

#14 Jan 23, 2010
pppffff, Welcome to Branson!!! What's your dream?!!
Eagle Ironworks

AOL

#15 Jan 24, 2010
I teach welding at a technical college. I have also taught at an ironworker apprentice school, and have been an ironworker, metal fabricator, welder for over thirty years.

At the tech college where I am now, we offer a one year program in SMAW, GTAW, GMAW and metal fab. Unfortunately, we can only teach so much in one year. What the students don't understand, or seem to appreciate, is that anyone needs about ten years of practical experience before they can be considered to be highly skilled at their craft. TEN YEARS, and this applies to everyone!

I explain that welding is only about a quarter of being an accomplished welder. The other three quarters are, in my opinion, lay out, understanding what the metal will do when you begin to work it, and professionalism; knowing how to think, act, talk and work like a professional.

At school, we teach what we can. We try to help the students find entry level employment. Some students are not suited for any work place, and will probably gain nothing from the course. Others will excel, but that is life.

Welding can be a good career. One must go where the work is, so expect to travel. To the beginner, I would suggest you try to find work that will expand your knowledge base and challenge your skill set. Look for work using different processes, in different environments. Work in construction, fab shop, pipe line, anywhere your skills will be challenged.
eEr

Kennett, MO

#16 Jan 29, 2010
welding is good pay, but my son comes home with burn holes in his clothes, on his neck, some times is burned, like a bad sunburn, and eyes. So choose your profession well, and yes, its in all kinds of weather, a hard job actually.
pineapple

Sonora, CA

#17 Jan 29, 2010
join the union u f--kin rat's... they will teach you to become a good wellrounded pipe welder..
Phswelder

Lees Summit, MO

#18 Feb 7, 2010
eEr wrote:
welding is good pay, but my son comes home with burn holes in his clothes, on his neck, some times is burned, like a bad sunburn, and eyes. So choose your profession well, and yes, its in all kinds of weather, a hard job actually.
he will get over it it's worth the Money and travel soooo a burn hole is not that big a deal
mark

Katy, TX

#19 Feb 16, 2010
pineapple wrote:
join the union u f--kin rat's... they will teach you to become a good wellrounded pipe welder..
Screw the Union. I work for myself, not some fat greasy union head.
Nukewelder

Southport, NC

#20 Mar 2, 2010
Pipeline Jack wrote:
CAN YOU???
Have a nice day
Mike
Michael J. Blaha
Owner,
Hobart Welding School
Houston,Texas
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~
What a loser.8 months of training! I hold my breath longer than you know how to weld. All you are is a half listiner. Your nothing but a welders helper. You sit around good pipe welders and listen to their"Talk of the trade" and pass that on hopeing people will believe that your a welder. Well Tig Nuts I've been welding 32 years in Nuclear field and still learning. So you can add to your fabracated welding crap.
mike3209

Bellevue, WA

#21 Apr 14, 2010
i dont care how old you are theres always something new that you will learn about the pipe welding trade or any other welding trade. I've been welding 15 years structural and wished i could have got into pipewelding earlier in life but now i'm paying for it. Theres so many jobs out there for pipe welders. i trained recently at a union hall for pipe welding. I passed my first pipe test within that week. Was trying to get own a paper mill shutdown but they cut back on the welders so since i wasn't a member of the union and have been laidoff from a shipyard job i didn't have 340 dollars to join the union and its a 60 dollar a month fee to stay in the union so therefor i cound'nt keep traing on pipe to get my bell nose certification. So if your looking to join a union company to be sa pipe welder just remeber you got to pay your membership fee and montly dues. Its good if you have the money but bad if you dont if you plan on joining a union. but also if you wanna work localally for a union be prepared not to find much work cause you will still have to pay your monthly dues even when your not working for them if you plan on staying in the union. but they have excellent medical, pension, and retirement plans.
Ben

Vincennes, IN

#22 Apr 26, 2010
Hey Mike its really good to see someone else from Crawfordsville post on this thread. I'm working on getting my 6G certification over the summer. I'd really like to talk to you more if that's possible my e-mail is memphisbelle_1_17_43@yahoo.com
rlc

Luther, OK

#24 Jul 13, 2010
How much do these pipeline welders make that are independent contractors? I heard it is a ridiculous amount of money?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Branson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taney County correctional officers face RAPE ch... (May '13) 11 hr ryanvaughn 30
Almost Everyone In Branson Loves Jackson Cash (Feb '09) Sat ABookingAgent 89
rockaway beach what's happening board (Jan '08) Dec 19 rockawaysaripoff 80
grandparents rights Dec 18 just a girl 5
Body found today behind pierce Arrow theater? Dec 17 Nope 2
they Say I'M Bigger Than Robbie in the Us- his ... (Oct '06) Dec 16 Amazing Dan 3
BODY ATTACHMENTS-What does this mean? (Nov '12) Dec 15 monkey14 10
Branson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Branson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Branson News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Branson

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:42 pm PST

NBC Sports 6:42PM
St. Louis Rams lose 37-27 to Giants at home - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 7:22 PM
Giants Show Resiliency, Maturity in Win
Bleacher Report 7:49 PM
How Far Can Steelers' Big Three Carry Them?
Bleacher Report 8:45 PM
Roethlisberger Proves His Toughness vs. Chiefs
Yahoo! Sports 9:51 PM
Seahawks crush Cardinals to take control of NFC West