Yet another vestige of Branson's past...

Yet another vestige of Branson's past disappears as the backhoe destroy the Sammy Lane Pirate Cru...

There are 39 comments on the Branson Courier story from Mar 31, 2007, titled Yet another vestige of Branson's past disappears as the backhoe destroy the Sammy Lane Pirate Cru.... In it, Branson Courier reports that:

Keep up with the latest Branson happenings. Sign up here your free e-mail subscription to the Branson Courier Yet another vestige of Branson's past disappears as the backhoe destroy the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise ... via Branson Courier

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Branson Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Darlene Livergood

Greenbrier, AR

#1 Apr 2, 2007
A city with no past is doing away with their future history shows.
Elaine

Victoria, TX

#2 Apr 2, 2007
Before you know it, Branson will have become what so many of us moved here to get away from. It's really very sad.

“The Branson Vampire”

Since: Apr 07

Monroe Ciry Missouri

#3 Apr 13, 2007
just watch, next up, will be the lake itself. They lied and schemed about the liberty tree, and then the old Branson Hotel, and now the boat I remember from childhood while vacationing here. Unfortunately, they never gave anyone a chance to claim and buy the item and restore it. Shameful how branson has whored itself for a few million bucks
Taney Co dummy

Eldridge, MO

#4 Apr 13, 2007
Lake Taneycomo is no more than a receptacle for the sewer, and then its drinking water? Yeah right. All the things that people came here to enjoy are gone. As for the Landing, wait until they see how much money the City loses in operating a Convention Center with about 1/4 enough people to make it pay. Someone will pay that debt, it won't go unpaid, doesn't work that way. With the ignorance and arrogance this pay city council displayed you can only say....good enough for you. But then we all pay the price.
witchypoo

Redmond, WA

#5 Jul 9, 2007
The one thing about Branson that really hurt,was when they took down the Liberty Tree.I have so many memories of that tree.The Lake Queen and The Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise have been a part of our vacations since I was a teenager.The resorts were great too.We went to the Allendale Resort all of the time.The SammyLane resort was on the historical register and they got away tearing that down also.
Steve

Indianola, MS

#6 Jul 9, 2007
Elaine wrote:
Before you know it, Branson will have become what so many of us moved here to get away from. It's really very sad.
the NEW Branson.
Ancestor_Hunter

Victoria, TX

#7 Jul 9, 2007
I've only been here 4 /12 years. Can someone please tell me more about the Liberty Tree and the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise Riverboat? I hate it when traditions disappear. It helps take away a city's identity.
Steve

Indianola, MS

#8 Jul 10, 2007
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
I've only been here 4 /12 years. Can someone please tell me more about the Liberty Tree and the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise Riverboat? I hate it when traditions disappear. It helps take away a city's identity.
The Liberty Tree some say was around 200 years old down by the lake front. It was in the way of the landing. Towns folk tried to save the girl, but you know how the almighty tourist dollar holler louder.

Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise was a great boat ride that went on lake taneycomo they would have a pirate on the bank as you float on down the lake. I'm not doing this justices anyhoo, it was old time fun.

Back in the day hiway 65 ran right through Branson. ya know down town.Some things haven't changed you can still get moonshine if ya par take in that.

At one time you could feed the ducks by the lakefront. Not any more since the landing been built. Use to see Bald eagles soaring down by the lakefront also. Deer grazing, rabbits hopping, fish would just jump otta the lake. Kids playing, parents fishing, laughing having good old time fun.

A old story that was told to me as a kid: I forget which sitting president it was but anyhoo, the president came here and left/hide some of his personal items in a cave down off T-hiway. Him any his buddies hung out in that cave, the opening to it was like a spit throw away from the lake, they would cover the openimg up when they got ready to leave. Fishing for trout and drinking that moonshine and playing cards is what they liked to do ya know.

I still haven't found that darn cave and boy I spent many of hours a looking. History lost fer sure, just like the old Branson.
witchypoo

Redmond, WA

#9 Jul 10, 2007
My family and I have been vacationing to Branson for many years.I miss alot of the things they tore down to make way for that Branson Landing.I have old maps and so many old pamplets from the area.It shows Silver Dollar City back in the 60s.All of the shows were country and there were only about 6.motels about the same 6or7.The Strip was bare. No roads going off anywhere.I have been video recording the area since 1986.Where Celebration City is was a place called Mutton Hollow,it was a sweet little place and it had a candy maker and crafts.Downtown Branson was wonderful .So many nice family things to do.You could watch a ballgame at Mang Field ,go on a boat ride Sammy Pirate Cruise,Lake Queen or rent just about any kind of boat from the resorts there.There was a public swimming pool and so many trees! the Liberty Tree was over 200 years old and survived many things.It was hit by lighting while we were visting the area and it came back.The Landing people said they were going to keep it ,but instead tore it down in the middle of the night!!!!The resorts there have seen better days. But I believe they could of tried saving them.The Sammy Lane Resort was in excellent condition and on the National Historic Register.And the tore it down.The White River Hotel (Malone)had presidents stay there.While they were tearing down the resorts ,we filmed it.And when they were having thier stupid auctions to sell off the cabins and the sinks and iceboxes,we found keys to the old resorts and reciept books and old papers .Yo would not believe what all we found.Branson will never be the same.I try and not think about it much.Buy the way you will be fined 500 dollars if you try and feed the ducks or geese.
Ancestor_Hunter

Victoria, TX

#10 Jul 10, 2007
Thanks for the information. Makes me sorry I didn't "discover" Branson years ago. It's a shame so much was destroyed for a shopping center that didn't need to be built. I live in Hollister and absolutely HATE having to look at the landing when we come across the bridge. Progress is one thing, but destroying a place's identity and history are something else altogether. As I've mentioned before, I moved here from Detroit and they have the same mentality there. Don't preserve.....tear it down. And they've always been that way. It's disgusting!
Natosha-M-Romano

Pewaukee, WI

#11 Jul 19, 2007
I'm glad to see a very nice and very outspoken person is taking over for bob barker.I really hope she does good in that show.
Natosha-M-Romano

Pewaukee, WI

#12 Jul 19, 2007
If any of you girls or guys have aging problems or acne problems or just want a good all natural face cleaners.Foot scrubs and for the men we have shaving cream and colone etc.
please go to Beautinet.com and look then E-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected]
Ancestor_Hunter

Victoria, TX

#13 Jul 19, 2007
Ooops..........think you've got the wrong thread, Natosha.
Taney Co Ole Man

Branson, MO

#14 Jul 19, 2007
You forgot one thing in Branson's past. There use to be HUGE tall pine trees and a little Forest Ranger station and fire lookout tower where Shoneys sits now. These trees were bulldozed to build a damn parking lot and another eatery. This was a beautiful little grassy acreage that they just couldn't stand to leave alone.
Much like the park like sitting where the new theater sits by the Ramada. There were such nice trees there on that corner, but not now, more theater crap, and gaudy looking at that.
Ancestor_Hunter

Victoria, TX

#15 Jul 19, 2007
All these stories remind me of a song that was out in the late '60s by Joni Mitchell. The title was "Big Yellow Taxi" but the refrain was "Don't it always seem to, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. They pave paradise and put up a parking lot."
It all makes me wish I had come here years ago before it got built up.
Ancestor_Hunter

Victoria, TX

#16 Jul 19, 2007
That should be: "Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. They pave paradise and put up a parking lot."
witchypoo

Redmond, WA

#17 Jul 19, 2007
A Joni Mitchell fan.I love her music.I remember the fire tower you use to go up in, on the strip.My husband and daughter use to go up in that tower all the time.Took some great pictures from up there.Does anyone remember when Shepherd of the Hills did`nt have that inspiration tower? It was so pretty there also,before they fenced it off.Now it`s starting to look kinda rough.All Branson cares about now is the Landing and the Convention Center.It opens next month.
Martina

Muskogee, OK

#18 Jul 29, 2007
We just returned from a trip to Branson and I must say I am sooooooo disappointed and angry in what I found downtown. I could not believe the citizens of Branson had allowed their lovely area on the river front to be permanently destroyed for a useless shopping center with stupid hotel! We circled the area as best as possible looking for old familiar landmarks but could find none. The public pool was gone, the area for duck feeding was gone, the quaint older resorts were gone, a big part of what made Branson unique was gone and for what? As I don't live in Branson and our last visit was approximately 5 years ago,(we used to come every year}, when did Bransonites allow this travesty to happen? I can't believe they thought this would actually be good for the town. Its over-run with hotels and shopping areas as it is. I've loved coming here ever since my parents first brought me in 1969. I've seen it change over the years and its just become less innocent and quaint and gotten cheesier and guadier as time has passed. I will agree that at one time it did need more hotel rooms but we now have extreme overkill in that department and I can see the bottom falling out soon as a town can only support so many of the same thing. All over the area we saw signs saying "hiring now" and we actually got up and walked out of almost empty restaurant because they didn't have enough wait staff to cover the 10 people inside. Plus we noticed in the places we did eat they were short staffed and not giving great service either. Another land mark we were used to seeing was the Dairy Drive In just across from the Silver Fountain Inn. The drive in is leveled and the Silver Fountain is closed and forlorn looking. Thankfully my kids favorite activity the "Water Chute" just across from Wal Mart was still open. Wonder when the powers that be in Branson will decide that it needs to go also. Branson is starting to look like a jaded old streetwalker who just keeps applying more and more makeup but just looks worse and worse. Its truly sad to witness what is happening there, maybe if the people of Branson read enough negative comments they call a halt to what someone sold them as "progress".
Taney Co ole man

Scranton, AR

#19 Jul 29, 2007
Martina, sorry, but it doesn't bother them in the least. They have heard this before and keep on bulldozing. I share your frustrations, as do most of us older folks.
witchypoo

Redmond, WA

#20 Jul 30, 2007
Oh ,I know some people are getting sick of me saying the same thing.They will not listen.I have been watching and taking as many pictures as I can.When I hear they are about to tear down something I am there .Trying to preserve what once was.When I see a old bridge,old home,old school any thing in the path of progress I am there.God ,I`m starting to sound like a superhero.I watch too many movies with my grandchildren.But, really I`m just trying to preserve the past.I don`t want anyone to forget how beautiful the past really was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Branson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Castle Rock Wed Bag of Bones 2
For George (Nov '13) May 22 anonymous 36
1branson.com altereds posts? (Dec '07) May 13 nomenotyou 37
craigslist lady has this little problem NEED UR... (Dec '11) May 13 donkey 13
Who is Mystery Lady at top of the Capitol Dome (Feb '09) May 9 DUH n DOH 13
Good Shepherd/Patrick​ May 7 Wanderingoff4ever 1
George Stanley arrest May 5 Porcia 1

Branson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance