Posted in the Branson Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bob Wootton

Ava, MO

#1 Mar 30, 2008
About Bob Wootton

..“Where’s Luther Perkins, Johnny?” It’s a shouted question that was captured for posterity on Johnny Cash’s classic Live at San Quentin album.

In fact, Luther Perkins, an original member of the Tennessee Two and originator of the legendary “boom chick a boom” guitar on Cash’s early records, had been killed in a house fire on August 5, 1968.

A lanky, somber-looking musician from Paris, Arkansas, named Bob Wootton had been hired to replace the irreplaceable Luther Perkins,
who is a brother to Country Legend,
Carl Perkins.

But Wootton was up to the challenge.

In fact, He had been training for it since childhood.

As a youngster, Wootton had been fascinated by Johnny Cash’s early hits, especially the distinctive lead guitar of Luther Perkins.

While playing the records over and over, he trained himself to play along, note for note.

On September 17, 1968, fate began to intervene, preparing the way for Wootton to step on stage with his idol and fill the void left by Perkins’ death.

Cash was in Fayetteville, Arkansas, to perform - but his band had been delayed at an out-of-town airport- and it was show time.

Wootton was at the front of the stage, when the girl he was with got June Carter’s attention and told her that he could play guitar “Luther-style.”

June Carter motioned her husband,Johnny Cash from the stage,

Cash gave Wootton a try on the spot, with no rehearsal -

and was amazed to find that Wootton not only knew every song Cash wanted to do,

but that he could play them just as Luther had.

Bob Wootton was far more than a Luther Perkins imitator.

Over the next thirty years he developed a style that paid tribute to, and expanded upon, what Perkins had originated.

He stepped from Perkins’ shadow and became a guitar legend in his own right.

In the years that followed, everywhere you saw Johnny Cash, Bob Wootton was close by.

In every major event in John’s life Bob was always there.

He has traveled all over the world many times, has played John’s double in countless movies, has been on more television shows than most major stars, and countless recordings.

Bob Wootton is known as a guitar legend and is listed in the “ Top 1000 Guitars players of the World.”

Bob was devastated by Cash’s illness and death, and did not perform for several years.

Today, however, Wootton is again touring the world, playing Cash tunes and keeping the magical sound of the Legendary Tennessee Two and Tennessee Three alive to appreciative crowds throughout the U.S. and Europe.

Along with Vicky Wootton formerly of “The Carter Family”, Scarlett Wootton and upright bass phenomenon Lisa Horngren, The Tennessee Three is keeping the tradition of the Cash - Carter Family alive.

THE SOUND MUST GO ON

www.TennesseeThree.com

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...

lightofthelord

Ozark, MO

#2 Apr 21, 2008
I like the carter family.
TommyG

Port Chester, NY

#3 Apr 30, 2008
Wow! Great reporting...Luther and Carl Perkins were not brothers. In fact, they were not even related! Bob Wootton one of a thousand "Guitar Legends" according to who? Humm...I highly doubt that because very few people would even recognize his name. Bob was hired to do a job in '68 and he did it very well -nothing more but also nothing less. A Cash record withotu Luther was only half a record according to Marty Stuart. Bob hardly ever did anything on the guitar that Luther couldn't do. Despite the claims of Luther's so-called "limitations," Luther developed into a truly fine picker by the 1960s. Everything Bob did was basically forged by the simple musical genius of Luther Perkins...Had there been no Luther there would be no Bob Wootton, plain and simple. Bob might think otherwise but when you ask today who was Johnny Cash's guitarist the name LUTHER PERKINS is almost unanimously mentioned. Anita Carter, 1993: "Bob always had a time trying to peak out behind Luther's shadow and it b othered him. People came to the shows and accepted Bop after Luther passed on but as much as they came to accept Bob, after all these years, they never forgot Luther."
Cole

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Jun 24, 2008
You're obviously into gossip tabloid magazines and reality TV series.
Bob Wootton deserves his credit, where definitely due. The somber facts are that Luther burned to death in a tragic home fire. After that, it appeared that Cash's sound was gone... Carl Perkins filled in at the shows, but it was not the "Sound" that cash was known for. As if Luther sent him to John, out of nowhere arrives Bob Wootton just in time to carry on the "Sound" and embellish upon it. Kicking it into a more polished and driven gear. I've yet to see a current show where Bob doesn't give credit where credit is due, and honors Luther. But the fact remains, had it now been for Bob, after Luther died we may have never had "Cash" as we once knew him. No "Boy named sue", no "One Piece at a time", or "Ghost riders in the sky".... Bob was with Cash twice as long as Luther (30 years), so give the man a break. He too is a legend, and layed down some serious guitar work for Cash. Luther would have been proud. John was.
TommyG wrote:
Wow! Great reporting...Luther and Carl Perkins were not brothers. In fact, they were not even related! Bob Wootton one of a thousand "Guitar Legends" according to who? Humm...I highly doubt that because very few people would even recognize his name. Bob was hired to do a job in '68 and he did it very well -nothing more but also nothing less. A Cash record withotu Luther was only half a record according to Marty Stuart. Bob hardly ever did anything on the guitar that Luther couldn't do. Despite the claims of Luther's so-called "limitations," Luther developed into a truly fine picker by the 1960s. Everything Bob did was basically forged by the simple musical genius of Luther Perkins...Had there been no Luther there would be no Bob Wootton, plain and simple. Bob might think otherwise but when you ask today who was Johnny Cash's guitarist the name LUTHER PERKINS is almost unanimously mentioned. Anita Carter, 1993: "Bob always had a time trying to peak out behind Luther's shadow and it b othered him. People came to the shows and accepted Bop after Luther passed on but as much as they came to accept Bob, after all these years, they never forgot Luther."
Bob Wooten

Ozark, MO

#5 Jul 6, 2008
-------
Thanks, Tommy G, you do a fine job of reporting about Bob Wooten & Luther Perkins too.

May the music of Johnny Cash & Bob Wooten live forever!

Even his brother Tommy thinks so too..

www.TommyCash.com

---------
TommyG wrote:
Wow! Great reporting...

Luther and Carl Perkins were not brothers.

In fact, they were not even related!

Bob Wootton one of a thousand "Guitar Legends" according to who? Humm...

I highly doubt that because very few people would

even recognize his name.

Bob was hired to do a job in '68 and he did it

very well -nothing more but also nothing less.

A Cash record without Luther was only half a

record according to Marty Stuart.

Bob hardly ever did anything on the guitar that

Luther couldn't do. Despite the claims of

Luther's so-called "limitations," Luther

developed into a truly fine picker by the 1960s.

Everything Bob did was basically forged by the

simple musical genius of Luther Perkins...

Had there been no Luther there would be no Bob

Wootton, plain and simple.

Bob might think otherwise but when you ask today

who was Johnny Cash's guitarist the name

LUTHER PERKINS is almost unanimously mentioned.

Anita Carter, 1993: "Bob always had a time

trying to peak out behind Luther's shadow and it

bothered him.

People came to the shows and accepted Bob after

Luther passed on but as much as they came to

accept Bob, after all these years, they never

forgot Luther Perkins."
Mark S

Alhambra, CA

#6 Aug 9, 2008
Thank goodness Mr. Wooten came along and played "Perkins style" for us. Anyone who likes that style and sound knows how those little licks just jump out on Johnny Cash recordings and hit the soul just as many guitar greats come out at you. Mr. Wooten is not and never was under Luthers shadow but has always been a man doing what "Thank God" needed to be done to give the world a soul pounding (no matter how simple or complex) style of guitar playing, which just happened to be the perfect fit for the sound that was Johnny Cash. Thanks Bob
monty

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Aug 11, 2008
hav e you all heard the song "I want a love like Johnny and June" its a good one!!
Brydon

Sudbury, Canada

#8 Oct 29, 2008
anyone who doesnt like Bob Wootton, should get up and try to do a better job. Didnt think so. Johnny Cash IS Bob Wootton.
John

AOL

#9 Nov 6, 2008
Bob Wootton wrote:
About Bob Wootton
..“Where’s Luther Perkins, Johnny?” It’s a shouted question that was captured for posterity on Johnny Cash’s classic Live at San Quentin album.
In fact, Luther Perkins, an original member of the Tennessee Two and originator of the legendary “boom chick a boom” guitar on Cash’s early records, had been killed in a house fire on August 5, 1968.
A lanky, somber-looking musician from Paris, Arkansas, named Bob Wootton had been hired to replace the irreplaceable Luther Perkins,
Carl Perkins.
As a youngster, Wootton had been fascinated by Johnny Cash’s early hits, especially the distinctive lead guitar of Luther Perkins.
While playing the records over and over, he trained himself to play along, note for note.
On September 17, 1968, fate began to intervene, preparing the way for Wootton to step on stage with his idol and fill the void left by Perkins’ death.
Cash was in Fayetteville, Arkansas, to perform - but his band had been delayed at an out-of-town airport- and it was show time.
Wootton was at the front of the stage, when the girl he was with got June Carter’s attention and told her that he could play guitar “Luther-style.”
Over the next thirty years he developed a style that paid tribute to, and expanded upon, what Perkins had originated.
In the years that followed, everywhere you saw Johnny Cash, Bob Wootton was close by.
He has traveled all over the world many times, has played John’s double in countless movies, has been on more television shows than most major stars, and countless recordings.
Bob Wootton is known as a guitar legend and is listed in the “ Top 1000 Guitars players of the World.”
Bob was devastated by Cash’s illness and death, and did not perform for several years.
Today, however, Wootton is again touring the world, playing Cash tunes and keeping the magical sound of the Legendary Tennessee Two and Tennessee Three alive to appreciative crowds throughout the U.S. and Europe.
Along with Vicky Wootton formerly of “The Carter Family”, Scarlett Wootton and upright bass phenomenon Lisa Horngren, The Tennessee Three is keeping the tradition of the Cash - Carter Family alive.
THE SOUND MUST GO ON
www.TennesseeThree.com
You are so far off base,you left the ball park. Luther Perkins and Carl Perkins were NOT brothers.
John

AOL

#10 Nov 6, 2008
You are so far off base,you left the ball park. Luther Perkins and Carl Perkins were NOT brothers.
Leon Schmidt

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Nov 23, 2008
My wife and I just saw Bob Wootton in concert at Austin, MN, What a great performance. A local band "Six Mile Grove" was the opening act or group, they were great, but when wootton hit the notes as he did in Cash's music it raised the hair on my arms. What a fun exciting night, I can't wait for Mr. Wootton to come back. I was and am a great Johnny Cash fan. I wish I could find out so of his life, I have seen the movie, but would like to know true tales of the LEGAND
Chappel Fisher

Myrtle Beach, SC

#12 Jan 8, 2009
What is Bob doing now? Its been over 20 years since I've seen him.

e-mail is djonair@aol.com would love to hear from him.:)
Chappel
Bob Wootton wrote:
About Bob Wootton
Carl Perkins.
THE SOUND MUST GO ON
www.TennesseeThree.com
mopro

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Dec 30, 2010
TommyG wrote:
Wow! Great reporting...Luther and Carl Perkins were not brothers. In fact, they were not even related!
Not only that, but Luther was not 'killed' in a house fire, but rather, died as a result of injuries and smoke inhalation, two days after a fire in his new home on Riverside Drive in Hendersonville, TN.

Early the morning of 08/03/1968, Luther laid down for a nap in the living room of his home (he had been out fishing on Old Hickory Lake since around 3 am), and went to sleep with a lit cigarette. Sleeping with a lit smoke was a bad habit he had acquired early in the touring days of the Tennessee Two. His daughter later awoke to find the house full of smoke, the living room in flames, and Luther unconscious near the door. By the time the smoldering living room was under control and Luther had been extricated, he was severely burned and had inhaled a great deal of toxic smoke.

Johnny Cash and Marshall Grant each wrote about visiting Luther in Vanderbilt Hospital, "knowing that he would not recover". The Mississippi preacher's son who made good never regained consciousness, although he lived for two more days.
elly

Rich Hill, MO

#14 Dec 31, 2010
I believe Steve Wooten is related to Bob. My x sister-n-law was married to Steve and this was the story about Bob Wooten.
Todd - muncie in

AOL

#15 Jan 5, 2011
Bob Wootton was the man.And no Carl and Luther were not related.John was judge n jury on his sound.He kept Bob for 30 yrs.
Bruce Sivesind

Warminster, PA

#16 Jan 12, 2011
Wow, the story is true, that where ever Johnny Cash is, Bon Wootton was there. I've been to Johnny Cash concert ('83 and '91) and Bob was there. Sometime ago, during during Regis and Kathy Lee Show- Regis ask Johnny and June who is that man sitting behind them wearing black cowboy hat and a guitar? Cash said that's Bob Wootton.
So I noticed, everywhere Johnny Cash went, Bob Wootton was there with him. I applaud to him who made his dream come true, Way to go Mr Wootton!
Bill Milne

Thetford, UK

#17 Jun 7, 2011
As an avid Cash fan i give credit to Bob for carrying on and even developing Luthers sound.Both
influential guitarists in their own right. saw Bob
last year in aberdeen uk, and from the first note
you could have been at a Cash concert. Long may he keep the sound alive
mike

Cookeville, TN

#18 Jun 8, 2011
anyone knows that the tennessee three was a big part of why cash was so big and cash never forgot. yes bob wooten caught a break when carl and marshall got caught in bad weather and bob was there. bob stuck with cas for 30 years until ill health forced cash off touring in 1999 tnt aired a special honoring cash as cash walked on stage there was grant holland and wooten backing them. cash thanked them but failed to mention luthor. i beleive it was just an oversight bob contributed mightly to cashs career and we are all grateful as well as to marshall and fluke
Frank Butler

Valencia, CA

#19 Jul 10, 2011
I interviewed Bob Wootton. If you want the real scoop, from Bob, the interview is available @http://sharemyguitar.com/blog /podcast-8-interview-with-bob- wootton/

Bob Wootton literally stepped out of the audience when Luther Perkins' replacement could not get to a show where the auditorium was already filled, and played the entire show, note for note-no rehearsal. That earned him a slot on stage all over the world with Johnny Cash for the rest of Johnnys life.
Heather

Pine Island, MN

#20 Jan 10, 2012
Hey! For any of you Bob W-O-O-T-T-O-N fans out there, he is touring in MN again;

Friday January 13 at the Cabooze in Minneapolis for the annual "Cash Only" show, and Saturday January 14 at the Olde Pine Theater in Pine Island MN.

In addition, he will be playing multiple shows in the midwest in the month of February:

2/09-2/12 La Crosse, WI Convention Center
2/13 Wabasha, MN Broadway Theater Americana Showcase
2/14 Rochester, MN Rochester Civic Theater Americana Showcase
2/15-2/19 Duluth, MN Convention Center

You can find more information at www.sixmilegrove.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Branson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nicolas Johnson 12 hr Curious 1
branson is racist (Jun '07) Thu squeezers 51
Looking for an old friend (Apr '09) Nov 24 ANoN 23
Always In My Heart Cremation Pendant. Nov 21 lucas 1
For George (Nov '13) Nov 18 gest 28
bed bugs in almost all the hotels in branson mi... Nov 18 squeezers 3
REMINGTON THEATRE Sold To Keith Moore Ministry (Sep '07) Nov 16 Kerryjane 455
Branson Dating
Find my Match

Branson People Search