Yale doctor killed in Branford bicycl...

Yale doctor killed in Branford bicycle accident

There are 134 comments on the WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut story from Jun 18, 2008, titled Yale doctor killed in Branford bicycle accident. In it, WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut reports that:

Branford police are investigating an accident that killed a prominent doctor at Yale-New Haven Hospital.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
No AC OMG

Newington, CT

#1 Jun 18, 2008
This is horrific. How many people need to be killed before our towns and state make our roads pedestrian and bike friendly?
sbl

Morristown, NJ

#2 Jun 18, 2008
No AC OMG wrote:
This is horrific. How many people need to be killed before our towns and state make our roads pedestrian and bike friendly?
And how do you suggest they do this? Expand every single road in CT? Add a bike lane to every road? Add sidewalks to every road?

You think taxes are high now...

Not sure there is a solution other than pedestrians and bicyclists being overly cautious and aware.

Drivers are aggressive and aren't going to stop being aggressive, so unfortunately the burden of safety, whether we like it or not, will end up falling on the pedestrian/bicyclist.

Sometimes it's the pedestrians / bicyclists fault (not saying it is in this case). You know how many people I see walking WITH traffic instead of against traffic like they are supposed to be doing? You know how many bicyclists I see that don't stop for stop signs? They have to abide by the same traffic laws as motorized vehicles, yet many don't.

Maybe a bit more education couldn't hurt, but most people are "above" that. I mean, who needs to be educated on how to walk around the block? That would be insulting!
A Friend

Northridge, CA

#3 Jun 18, 2008
Scott rode his bike almost every day. He knew and followed the rules of the road. I hope the guilt of the driver causes sever mental anguish and horrible nightmares.

Runners & bikers can only do so much. It is DRIVERS who need to be more educated and more aware of what is going on around them. I can take every precaution there is, but if some crazy driver comes hauling down the road and swerves at me, there isn't much I would be able to do. Cars move faster than humans.

I will miss Scott, as will all his friends and family.
Saddened

United States

#7 Jun 18, 2008
I am saddened by this, and feel for his family. That stretch of road is narrow and doesn't have much break down lane. Drivers go too fast in that area, and Rt 146 is very popular for cyclists. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone he knew and his family.
KFC

Newington, CT

#8 Jun 18, 2008
Way too many accidents - slow down and pay attention people! That poor man and his family.
William K

Mansfield Center, CT

#9 Jun 18, 2008
With all respect to you, SBL, why do you assume that the only solution is for bicyclists and pedestrians to be "overly cautious and aware?" Yes, being more vulnerable road users, we bear the brunt of the consequences in a collision. But the fact remains that a driver has to be remain constantly aware of the danger he or she poses to those more vulnerable road users. I agree that cyclists and pedestrians need to watch their own behavior, but that doesn't change the fact that a person in a car presents a clear and present danger when that car is being operated carelessly or irresponsibly.

How are these for some more solutions? Begin more aggressive enforcement of traffic laws. Double the fines for moving violations and allow municipalities to keep half the money. Install red light cameras and expect prosecutors to play hardball with fines--no automatic nolles for tickets. This will provide a strong incentive for police departments to control aggressive and unsafe driving. And yes, before you ask, levy those same fines against cyclists riding against traffic.

Why do we continue to assume that aggressive driving can not be controlled and that something in the area of 40,000 deaths each year are just part of business as usual on the nation's roads?
Bad Road

Milford, CT

#10 Jun 18, 2008
[QUOTE who="A. I hope the guilt of the driver causes sever mental anguish and horrible nightmares.
[/QUOTE]

This comment is almost as bad as Cosmetic Queens. How do you know this driver doesnít feel terrible about this?! Are you even familiar w/ the road in question? It is EXTREMELY narrow and I canít believe this hasnít happened already. Unless they find that the drivet was drunk or not paying attention, i.e. cell phone, I think you are wrong in making that statement. That road is very dark and at times curvy. The bike lane is non existent. I feel terrible for this guy's family but I'm sure the drive will feel bad enough without ill will wished upon him or her.

My 2 cents.
out of words

Enfield, CT

#12 Jun 18, 2008
I too am sorry for the doctor. It's very sad. I think with what has been happening with the price of gas, there's going to be a lot more bicyclist and people driving scooters etc., that all of us vehicle drivers are going to have to pay more attention to what or who might be around the corner. Witht that said: others not driving vehicles need to not be bicycling or using scooters in the dark or at dusk etc., since it might be difficult to see you, even pedestrians sometimes I can't see them until I'm right there almost on top of them. We all have to play a part of looking out for each other in these times. My condolences to the Family and Friends.
appalled

Haddam, CT

#13 Jun 18, 2008
I am totally appalled at the responses from cosmetic troll and its about time. This was an accident and a community and family are grieving, how dare you! what is the saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! karma is a b***h.
I am very sorry for his family and their loss, in addition his patients and the community. Drivers need to wake up, slow down and pay attention!!
Jeff H

New Britain, CT

#14 Jun 18, 2008
Saddened wrote:
I am saddened by this, and feel for his family. That stretch of road is narrow and doesn't have much break down lane. Drivers go too fast in that area, and Rt 146 is very popular for cyclists. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone he knew and his family.
Exactly! It's a very narrow stretch of road, and very difficult to deal with without bicyclists on the road, and the people who speed like crazy there. That's why it's a 25 mph zone.

I damned near got killed on Toole road today by a Raymour & Flanigan delivery truck driver doing about 50mph in a residential neighborhood.

RIP, Scott.
sbl

Morristown, NJ

#15 Jun 18, 2008
A Friend wrote:
It is DRIVERS who need to be more educated and more aware of what is going on around them. I can take every precaution there is, but if some crazy driver comes hauling down the road and swerves at me, there isn't much I would be able to do.
Yes, you are correct in theory.

HOWEVER, people have to WANT to be more educated, and have to actually take the TIME to be educated. The average driver could give a crap about educating himself about keeping pedestrians safe. Since it doesn't directly affect the driver, the driver could care less.

So the only other option is to educate those that this DOES affect - the pedestrians and bicyclists.

Sad, but true.
Jill

Farmington, CT

#17 Jun 18, 2008
This is a terrible tragedy that could have been avoided. The State has a responsibility to proactively educate drivers and cyclists on the rules of the road. Drivers need to be aware of cyclists'rights to the road and provide adequate room. With more people cycling to save gas money, stories like this will become more common.
sbl

Morristown, NJ

#19 Jun 18, 2008
William K wrote:
With all respect to you, SBL, why do you assume that the only solution is for bicyclists and pedestrians to be "overly cautious and aware?" Yes, being more vulnerable road users, we bear the brunt of the consequences in a collision. But the fact remains that a driver has to be remain constantly aware of the danger he or she poses to those more vulnerable road users.
I said that because most drivers don't really give a crap about pedestrians and bicyclists. Most are aggressive, on the cellphone, shoving Big Macs into their faces and doing everything else other than concentrating on driving. I agree it's the driver that has to be constantly aware, as you put it, but they aren't. I was just saying that BECAUSE drivers aren't aware, the pedestrians and bicyclists need to be EXTRA aware.
William K wrote:
How are these for some more solutions? Begin more aggressive enforcement of traffic laws. Double the fines for moving violations and allow municipalities to keep half the money. Install red light cameras and expect prosecutors to play hardball with fines--no automatic nolles for tickets. This will provide a strong incentive for police departments to control aggressive and unsafe driving. And yes, before you ask, levy those same fines against cyclists riding against traffic.
All fine and dandy, but that doesn't prevent people from getting struck. People will still drive aggressively until they get a ticket. Then they stop for a week or two, then it's back being aggressive again. Plus, I doubt the police departments have enough manpower to continually monitor every road in CT on a full time basis. Sorry, but other than designated safety zones (like sidewalks), the danger will always be there.
William K

Mansfield Center, CT

#20 Jun 18, 2008
In most municipalities, the sidewalk is off-limits to cyclists. In addition, it's typically more dangerous for an adult to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk; drivers are not looking for someone to emerge at speed from curb cuts across traffic.
Miguel

Branford, CT

#21 Jun 18, 2008
The driver of the truck was not arrested. He was not even given a ticket. Why can a man kill a man using a truck and then go home without a worry in the world? Are bicylists not actually protected by any laws?
Branford

Peekskill, NY

#23 Jun 18, 2008
"It's About Time" This man is a husband & a father. I happen to know his wife and she is an absolute sweet heart. Now their children have to grow up wihout a father because somebody couldn't take the time to slow down & be a cautious driver. You have no right to judge this man who happened to be a respected doctor.
Crazy Train

United States

#24 Jun 18, 2008
I knew someone would get killed on this damn road. So sorry for the doctor and his family.

I drive home on S Montowese every day, and the speed limit is not enforced at all. I drive 25 mph and momma SUV is riding my tale like she's insane! I have even been passed on this road...once even by a Branford police cruiser with no lights on, drinking a cup of coffee...so he could get to Foote Park and chill out there (saw him when I took my kids to the park). Nice example he was setting.

This is a double yellow line road with blind spots...these drivers are just nasty.

Sit with a radar gun and you will record speeds over 40 mph from every car, sometimes 45-50.

There is no shoulder in some areas and it is a tight squeeze for bicycles and cars...especially if there is another car heading in your direction, going 40-45 mph and hugging the line.

Branford police need to step up the speed traps...that'll solve their budget problems right there. They would have to pull over every single car.
Crazy Train

United States

#25 Jun 18, 2008
Once again: ENFORCE THE DAMN SPEED LIMIT, BRANFORD!!!!!!!
Saddened

United States

#26 Jun 18, 2008
I walked home that way from the Branford Festival - Took my life in my hands.. not enough room to walk, let alone ride a bike. Speed is a factor in that area.
Miguel

Branford, CT

#27 Jun 18, 2008
So the guy was riding on a 25 mph residential street near his home and he was killed by a negligent driver. Why was the driver not arrested? it is sickening how bad, dangerous drivers literally get away with murder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Branford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Fairmount Theatre (Oct '10) 1 hr Very interesting 4,400
bi-curious wm looking to end curiousity 6 hr Chris 10
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Mother Mcreeeeee 20,096
News West Haven Police Arrest Three Men After Stolen... Aug 24 American Gentlema... 1
News Tony Z's--terrible pizza (Dec '11) Aug 20 Barbara 5
News Nurse gets new lawyer for murder trial Aug 18 American Gentlema... 1
News Ukrainian Solider And His Family Find Healing I... Aug 16 George 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Branford Mortgages