First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Billy Mills 62 Impala 409

West Friendship, MD

#63 Jun 13, 2013
My father in law was Billy Mills and lived in Hyattsville, racing a black '62 409 Impala at Aquasco from about '63-67. From what I understand he was very good at this track, and the other local tracks - Capitol, 75-80, etc. Anyone who knew of Billy or his car, it would be great to hear more. I recently used the GPS on my phone to find the track through the woods and was able to walk the entire facility -tics, deerflys and all. Quite an intriguing plce that is sill standing, just heavily overrun with trees and weeds. Billy passed away in November of 2011 and had so many stories of Aquasco, including being there the night Tex was killed. Any info, pictures or knowledge of him or his car would be way cool. [email protected]
Tom Harsch

Warrenton, VA

#64 Feb 28, 2014
My Pop used to take me to Aquasco in the early 70's I was 12 or 13 years old when I saw Bob Banning win the Presidents Cup ! I never forgot this track. I still am a die hard Motorhead and still go to Budd's Creek (MIR). I was fortunate enough to see a shit load of Hall of Fame racers like Jungle Jim, Bruce Larson( USA 1) Dickey Harrell, Malcolm Durham, Mickey Thompson,Ronnie Sox, Don Garlits, This was the coolest shit my Pop ever did for me !!!
Cat Varnadore

Huntingtown, MD

#65 Mar 18, 2014
Lorie wrote:
I worked there in the snack bar during my JR year of high school (1976-77), what a blast! I still have a passion for racing though now I live in texas, I get my fix from Baytown (Houston Raceway Park). I'm glad to hear that it's still thought of, I sure wish I had the $$ to reopen it!
Did you go to Gwynn Park High???
Al Battiston

Orlando, FL

#66 Mar 29, 2014
When was the AHRA Nationals held at Aquasco in the 60's? Any way to find out class winners?
KMAX

Clarksburg, WV

#68 May 2, 2014
I just purchased Max Sterling Jr 62 super duty (white lightning)! looking for photos and info. Thanks
sam

Grand Rapids, MI

#69 Jun 2, 2014
I knew Max Sterling and his white Pontiac called "White Lightning" I was a starter at Aquasco and saw Max every time he raced. We became good friends, the car always ran good and Max was a great driver. And I have pictures of him on the starting line.

"
KMAX wrote:
I just purchased Max Sterling Jr 62 super duty (white lightning)! looking for photos and info. Thanks
Nick Micale

Phoenix, AZ

#71 Jun 2, 2014
Sam, if you as a starter there in the early 60's, you may remember my max-wedge Gold 1964 Plymouth with an alum front end that was sponsored by Fairfax Chrysler-Plymouth?

I had many match races there and specifically Malcom Durham and his "mystery engine" Chevy as well as the Bounty Hunters from Bob Banning Dodge.

I had the pleasure of winning races against all of them!
John Williams

Columbia, MD

#73 Jul 13, 2014
[Ron Murphy"] Any of the old time racers out there , we lost a great pontiac fan Max Sterling the owner of the super duty 62 White Lightning passed away this thanksgiving.

A family member bought his 1962 Pontiac WhiteLightning and just had it at the York reunion nostalgia drag race show.
Dave Siltman

Aylett, VA

#74 Jul 13, 2014
Community discussion
John Williams wrote:
[Ron Murphy"] Any of the old time racers out there , we lost a great pontiac fan Max Sterling the owner of the super duty 62 White Lightning passed away this thanksgiving.
A family member bought his 1962 Pontiac WhiteLightning and just had it at the York reunion nostalgia drag race show.
Dave Siltman

Aylett, VA

#75 Jul 13, 2014
Dave Siltman wrote:
Community discussion<quoted text>
I saw the car yesterday and read the letter from NHRA discussing the weights for certain classes. I remember a while back seeing that car for sale but never knew where it went. PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!! Old cars are my hobby and old RACE cars are my passion!!!!!!!!!!
charlie gibson

United States

#77 Sep 16, 2015
Hi joe charlie gibson n.e. d.c. 57chevy nlack beast .hope u are well call me .your old friend
JimMorgan

Alexandria, VA

#78 Mar 7, 2016
Billy Mills 62 Impala 409 wrote:
My father in law was Billy Mills and lived in Hyattsville, racing a black '62 409 Impala at Aquasco from about '63-67. From what I understand he was very good at this track, and the other local tracks - Capitol, 75-80, etc. Anyone who knew of Billy or his car, it would be great to hear more. I recently used the GPS on my phone to find the track through the woods and was able to walk the entire facility -tics, deerflys and all. Quite an intriguing plce that is sill standing, just heavily overrun with trees and weeds. Billy passed away in November of 2011 and had so many stories of Aquasco, including being there the night Tex was killed. Any info, pictures or knowledge of him or his car would be way cool. [email protected]
Wondering if you have any additional information about Aquasco Speedway. I have a 55 Chevy 210 that was raced there in the 60s, owned by the Smiley Brothers. Hoping to find some historical information. Thank you. [email protected] Jim

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandywine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Evergreen Disposal Svc (Mar '11) Mar 25 jfrank 44
Review: Okie Truck Service & Towing (Oct '12) Mar '17 SadSituation 7
News Waldorf, The Ghetto? (Jun '06) Feb '17 Fred Berg 292
Landover Mall (May '06) Dec '16 Wall-E 13
gangs (May '15) Nov '16 LEWIS 3
NSA sex for 55+ Ladies 55-75 Nov '16 Dexterdeb 1
News Prince George's Co. NAACP calls for removal of ... Nov '16 juice 1

Brandywine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance