Life-at-fertilization initiative has ...

Life-at-fertilization initiative has hope in Miss.

There are 2671 comments on the Centre Daily Times story from Oct 17, 2011, titled Life-at-fertilization initiative has hope in Miss.. In it, Centre Daily Times reports that:

In this June 6, 2011 file photo, Ezekiel Sowell, 7, right,of Tupelo, Miss., sings during a prayer rally for the Personhood Amendment at the Capitol in Jackson, Miss.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Centre Daily Times.

Ocean56

AOL

#2659 Apr 22, 2013
IRYW wrote:
That is correct. But you should look in the mirror because the religious right has been the single biggest contributor to the original spike in abortions and the still high number compared to other developed countries. Because at every turn they fight sex-education and readily available, inexpensive or free contraception. There have been studies showing that if you give poor, uneducated women free access to contraception that they will overwhelmingly choose the most reliable, long acting methods like the IUD. No forgetting to take the pill and no arguments over condom use (STDs are a separate discussion). So what are you people actually interested in? Reducing abortions or obsessing over the bronze-age teachings of an ignorant, misogynistic, male dominated culture?
SO TRUE! To answer your last question, I think the anti-choice crowd just wants to remove women's reproductive rights to prevent women from making a choice THEY disapprove of.

As far as I'M concerned, the "religious right" would prefer that women return to the state of misery imposed in the 19th century, where they were actually PROPERTY of men, first fathers, then husbands. Some of them actually believe in the whole "cult of true womanhood" 19th-century nonsense, which basically said that women should be content to be wives and mothers and NOTHING more. They can't accept the fact that the dark days of that grim period are GONE, and women DO get to make our own sexual and reproductive choices now. Mississippi is one of the most BACKWARD states in the country on sex education, and so is any state that will only allow that useless "abstinence-ONLY" program in their public schools.
Ocean56

AOL

#2660 Apr 22, 2013
zef wrote:
Women will be much less likely to kill their baby with an abortion if they have to travel to another state or country to do so. You're an idiot.
Ah, so you DO want to FORCE women to stay pregnant and give birth against their will. Thanks for finally admitting it.

Problem for you? Women DON'T have to stay pregnant and give birth unless they WANT to do so. Motherhood is an OPTION for women, not a requirement. And you don't get to make sexual and reproductive choices for anyone but yourself.
Ocean56

AOL

#2661 Apr 22, 2013
IRYW wrote:
Look at the nutcase christian right for the guilty party. They oppose sex-ed in elementary and middle school, they oppose free or inexpensive contraception for sexually mature teens, they preach abstinence (a total failure as a policy). Yet countries who embrace sex-ed, available contraception, and realistic attitudes about teen sex have a tiny fraction of the unwanted pregnancies that we do.
Agreed. However, we all know the regressive "christian right" will ignore this fact. They've proved many times that they're not interested in facts, just in their BACKWARD religious ideology.
Ocean56

AOL

#2662 Apr 22, 2013
IRYW wrote:
This is the problem with the fundamentalist, black and white mindset. If someone says more restrictive gun laws will reduce shooting deaths they shriek that it won't stop ALL shooting deaths and, in their warped logic, demand no restrictions. Imagine someone saying, "Seatbelts don't prevent ALL auto deaths so let's ban seatbelts". So in their lunatic delusion that making abortion illegal will stop abortions they ignore, and in fact directly fight, the policies that are most likely to dramatically reduce unwanted pregnancies and, by extension, abortions. Those include sex education from a very early age, unrestricted access to free or inexpensive contraception (especially long acting such as IUDs), a focus on safe sex instead of abstinence, etc. The 'pro-life' movement (an oxymoron if there ever was one) is doing more to INCREASE the abortion rate than anyone else.
Spot-on assessment, and I couldn't agree more. You'd think that if the so-called "prolife movement" wanted to reduce the number of abortions they would allow comprehensive sex education in public schools and create more programs that would make it possible for low-income and poor women to have access to reliable contraception.

But of course they don't do either of those things, so I think it's very clear what their real agenda is; to decrease education and INCREASE pregnancy, at the same time decreasing access to both reliable contraception and abortion. If girls and women don't have access, they have NO CHOICES. Which is exactly what the "religious right" wants.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#2663 Apr 22, 2013
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Eating fewer calories than you burn in exercise causes weight loss. Easy, right? Everyone can simply eat less.
<quoted text>
Actually the abortion rate peaked in 1981 and has dropped by about 50% since then, approaching the level when RvW was enacted. Is if fun making up bulls**t statistics to support your opinion?
<quoted text>
But in fact that is not what is taught in school. Avoiding pregnancy is taught but since we know kids are going to be sexually active we teach that proper contraception is the best choice.
Stol a huge amount of abortions..so that proper contraception is not being Used.. the point is way to many for a supposedly rare event..its a business and the way this country has gone..Sadly..
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#2664 Apr 22, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot-on assessment, and I couldn't agree more. You'd think that if the so-called "prolife movement" wanted to reduce the number of abortions they would allow comprehensive sex education in public schools and create more programs that would make it possible for low-income and poor women to have access to reliable contraception.
But of course they don't do either of those things, so I think it's very clear what their real agenda is; to decrease education and INCREASE pregnancy, at the same time decreasing access to both reliable contraception and abortion. If girls and women don't have access, they have NO CHOICES. Which is exactly what the "religious right" wants.
As I said these kids know to use a condominium at the very least..there are programs for loecost birth control ..I know a woman on it pays like 5 dollars for pills..and in case you haven't noticed.the conservatives have not been in charge for quite a few years. In 2008 there was a liberal pres and Congress..after that only the house has a
majority..the fundamentalists don't RUzn anything..and many on the right are not anti birth control. But it would be better if society did not condone this hooking up notion..but somehow these kids with all the sensitivity they are learning..havemissed out on basic self respect..That is SAD for both sides of this argument..
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#2665 Apr 22, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
And reproductive rights ALSO means we (including women) have the right NOT to reproduce if some of us don't CHOOSE to do so. Of course that's the part of the equation you don't like, which is why you purposely omitted it.
Reproduction is OPTIONAL, not required. That means a woman or a man can consciously choose NOT to reproduce, for any reason. Obviously, preventing unwanted pregnancy is the more desirable option, but ALL forms of contraception can and DO fail. When BC fails and a pregnancy results, the ONLY person who decides whether or not to continue the pregnancy is the WOMAN who is pregnant. Not YOUR pregnancy? Not your decision, simple as that.
And that is best accomplished by using that CHoice before conception.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#2666 Apr 22, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
SO TRUE! To answer your last question, I think the anti-choice crowd just wants to remove women's reproductive rights to prevent women from making a choice THEY disapprove of.
As far as I'M concerned, the "religious right" would prefer that women return to the state of misery imposed in the 19th century, where they were actually PROPERTY of men, first fathers, then husbands. Some of them actually believe in the whole "cult of true womanhood" 19th-century nonsense, which basically said that women should be content to be wives and mothers and NOTHING more. They can't accept the fact that the dark days of that grim period are GONE, and women DO get to make our own sexual and reproductive choices now. Mississippi is one of the most BACKWARD states in the country on sex education, and so is any state that will only allow that useless "abstinence-ONLY" program in their public schools.
And sadly somewhere along the line ..the worth of the woman's became entangled with how willing we are to see abortion proliferate. I have worked and suppotlrted my child all my life..so have most women of my generation..and a lot of us did it without aborting..we used contraception since it became available!!!
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#2667 Apr 22, 2013
So sorry for the typos. Part is me but this thing is also changing words on me.. I guess its the spell checker or something?
Obviously I am talking abouts CONDOMS. Not condominiums.:)
Godame

Tupelo, MS

#2668 Apr 22, 2013
zef wrote:
<quoted text>
Your nihilistic bigotry and hatred of unwanted children is sickening.
I do not hate just pointing out the objective facts. Emotional decision making does not solve problems.
zef

Los Angeles, CA

#2669 Apr 22, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
And reproductive rights ALSO means we (including women) have the right NOT to reproduce if some of us don't CHOOSE to do so. Of course that's the part of the equation you don't like, which is why you purposely omitted it.
Reproduction is OPTIONAL, not required. That means a woman or a man can consciously choose NOT to reproduce, for any reason. Obviously, preventing unwanted pregnancy is the more desirable option, but ALL forms of contraception can and DO fail. When BC fails and a pregnancy results, the ONLY person who decides whether or not to continue the pregnancy is the WOMAN who is pregnant. Not YOUR pregnancy? Not your decision, simple as that.
No, reproductive does not mean not to reproduce. Reproductive means reproducing. Abortion is not reproducing. Abortion is a violation of the right to life, and the right to life is the primary and most important right people have. Because without life none of the other rights matter. Anyone can decide to kill the baby of any woman with abortion. Women that get abortions today are not giving themselves abortions, someone else is. Which mean the women that are pregnant are not deciding to continue the pregnancy or not. Someone else kills their baby with an abortion. And that someone else is deciding whether that pregnant woman will continue the pregnancy or not.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#2670 Apr 22, 2013
According to the CDC over 852 thousand in 2008..last year reported. Totalling almost 49 million to that date..This is not rare!!!
zef

Los Angeles, CA

#2671 Apr 22, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so you DO want to FORCE women to stay pregnant and give birth against their will. Thanks for finally admitting it.
Problem for you? Women DON'T have to stay pregnant and give birth unless they WANT to do so. Motherhood is an OPTION for women, not a requirement. And you don't get to make sexual and reproductive choices for anyone but yourself.
Pregnancy is a spontaneous biological process that requires no conscious effort from anyone. You cannot force anyone to do anything that does not require effort. You don't have to be a mother to kill people, and people can kill anybody, not just their babies. Murder is always an option for anyone. Choice is a mental process. No one but themselves can make any choice about anything. You are insane.
Godame

Tupelo, MS

#2672 Apr 22, 2013
"Women that get abortions today are not giving themselves abortions, someone else is."
==========
So you would rather go back to those days that women did give themselves the operation? Perhaps you are John Wayne operating on yourself but it is not recommended. But then there is also the day after pill I suspect you have problems with that also but you do not have the right to force your beliefs on the rest of society.
Godame

Tupelo, MS

#2673 Apr 22, 2013
"Pregnancy is a spontaneous biological process that requires no conscious effort from anyone"
==========
Do I need to explain how someone gets pregnant in detail perhaps you never learned it as it was held from you in school and apparently at home also.

"You are insane"
==========
Are you looking in a mirror?
zef

Los Angeles, CA

#2674 Apr 22, 2013
Godame wrote:
"Women that get abortions today are not giving themselves abortions, someone else is."
==========
So you would rather go back to those days that women did give themselves the operation? Perhaps you are John Wayne operating on yourself but it is not recommended. But then there is also the day after pill I suspect you have problems with that also but you do not have the right to force your beliefs on the rest of society.
No, I would rather go forward to the days that women respect the lives of all people, not just themselves.
zef

Los Angeles, CA

#2675 Apr 22, 2013
Godame wrote:
"Pregnancy is a spontaneous biological process that requires no conscious effort from anyone"
==========
Do I need to explain how someone gets pregnant in detail perhaps you never learned it as it was held from you in school and apparently at home also.
"You are insane"
==========
Are you looking in a mirror?
We weren't discussing getting pregnant. We were discussing people that are already pregnant killing their babies with abortion. About which how someone gets pregnant is completely irrelevant. I can't speak for everyone, but you don't need to explain anything to me.
Ocean56

AOL

#2676 Apr 22, 2013
zef wrote:
No, reproductive does not mean not to reproduce. Reproductive means reproducing. Abortion is not reproducing.
Actually, LIAR, I said reproductive RIGHTS includes the right NOT to reproduce if some of us choose NOT to do so. Reproduction is OPTIONAL, not required, no matter how many times you dishonestly claim otherwise.

If some women choose NOT to reproduce for any reason, their decision to either use contraception to avoid unwanted pregnancy or use abortion to terminate a pregnancy is none of YOUR business or anyone else's either. You don't get to make sexual and reproductive choices for anyone but yourself.
Godame

Tupelo, MS

#2677 Apr 22, 2013
zef wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I would rather go forward to the days that women respect the lives of all people, not just themselves.
That day will come when men respect the women and do not use them as pleasure machines.

You can not make children when you do not have the resources to give them a good life.

“Make time ”

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#2678 Apr 22, 2013
Unbelievable.

"pandering to the narcissistic spoiled pregnant women of our society"

Pregnant women are vulnerable. I don't believe the majority seek special favors. Just a little consideration should be granted. The same that would be extended to others that are either permanently or temporarily afflicted with medical issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Civil-rights marchers: US still needs to addres... (Jul '16) 7 hr ThomasA 23
News Comments 15 hr Throng Fart 13
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 19 hr china stein 21,337
News Adult sex dating in picayune mississippi (Sep '08) Nov 13 Johanshsy74 5
Heintzelman Nov 11 Dr-Who 1
Review: Jackson Lease Sales & Rentals (Jun '11) Nov 1 eDaddi 44
Be Careful Oct 24 Warning 1

Brandon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brandon Mortgages