More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.
Comments
8,981 - 9,000 of 9,791 Comments Last updated 16 hrs ago
nutz2you

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Squirrels...raptor would even defend them maybe? Give them the "Works" in a pile of pecans as they eat the bottle wiggles then 5 squirrels are bloody fragments strew out across the yard.(: Moles are cool too, poke a hole and insert propane into runs and ignite looks like Caddy Shack.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Curmudgeon wrote:
Yes we are a part of he food chain. Humans are the dominant predator. If not for the humans mainuplation of the environment there wouldn't be enough food for everyone. Those native americans who never farmed and managed wildlife. they where feast & famine. they along with the wildlife starved during the winters. Varmits like coyotes have no natural enemies to keep their numbers in check. So humans must step in and terminate them. and even things that eat vegetation need to be controlled by humans. Beavers destroy the environment. Deer in many towns are a pestellence.
I can rephrase your post to read.....
Yes (coyotes) are a part of he food chain. Humans are (both predator and prey.) If not for the humans mainuplation of the environment (we would have a healthy ecosystem in balance.) Those native americans who never farmed and managed wildlife. they where feast & famine. they along with the wildlife starved during the winters.(But they also had respect for the land and wildlife resources and only took what they needed.) Varmits like coyotes have no natural enemies to keep their numbers in check (except for the wolves, lions and bears that we tried to eliminate out of ignorance which created a shortage of natural enemies for them.) So humans must step in and (try to undo what we did to the top predator populations by reintroducing them to the native lands where they belong.) and even things that eat vegetation need to be controlled by humans (which is fine as long as we do it responsibly because we ARE part of the web of life.) Beavers destroy the environment,(though destruction is only in the eye of the beholder. Some people view the beaver as something that only ALTERS the environment, as ALL wild animals AND humans do when they need to build homes and shelter for their families.)

Deer in many towns are a pestellence,(whatever that means. Oh wait, it means: 1 : a contagious or infectious epidemic disease that is virulent and devastating; especially : bubonic plague...... according to Webster.)
I wouldn't classify deer as you do, though too many will devastate the understory that many songbirds and small mammals need for nesting and shelter. As with all, or most, animals, controlling them is one thing....elimination is another....and elimination is wrong on all levels.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Because I enjoy eating meat. Because My income and lively hood comes from producing livestock & poultry. Im not the least bit concerened if some varmit goes hungry or dies . Im gonna take care of my livestock and crops on my domain. Even vegetables are not safe. And those coyotes will destroy melons. the raccoons destroy corn & tomatos. I even stay after the moles. Those moles ruin root crops like yams and potatoes. Deer are especially destructive to gardens fruit trees and grapevines. I keep the wildlife in check around my place. At present I have baby goats. they only weigh about 5 pounds. Im not going to tolerate a coyote or any other varmit trying too eat them.
Then keep them inside where they will be safe.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

nutz2you wrote:
Squirrels...raptor would even defend them maybe? Give them the "Works" in a pile of pecans as they eat the bottle wiggles then 5 squirrels are bloody fragments strew out across the yard.(: Moles are cool too, poke a hole and insert propane into runs and ignite looks like Caddy Shack.
Comments, thoughts or actions like this are a slap in the face to God. The Creator of all life on earth has to look down on anybody who would do such a thing with a tear in his eye and shake his head.
nutz2you

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Comments, thoughts or actions like this are a slap in the face to God. The Creator of all life on earth has to look down on anybody who would do such a thing with a tear in his eye and shake his head.
Squirrel eats a hole in my house and his whole family dies...for generations even? Shot one in the eye with a blowgun and it came out the back even, he fell like 50' and bounced off of the patio, then he cried out your name?(:

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

nutz2you wrote:
<quoted text>Squirrel eats a hole in my house and his whole family dies...for generations even? Shot one in the eye with a blowgun and it came out the back even, he fell like 50' and bounced off of the patio, then he cried out your name?(:
One time a squirrel chewed a hole in my roof and got into my attic. I got him out and fixed the hole. That is what any human with good character and morals would do.
Wah hoo

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

<quoted text>
Then keep them inside where they will be safe.
Just how stupid are you? I keep them safe on my land. Its impractical for me to keep livestock inside. The goats cattle sheep must graze. I cant grow my crops inside. I do the only feasible reasonable thing and that necessatiates my destroying anything I deem a varmit. My bantams roam and eat grasshoppers ticks and insects. Home grown eggs and meat from free range chickens are superior to those you get in the store. There are turkey Quail & songbirds that nest on my place in relative safety because my varmit eradication. Want to keep the varmits safe? You keep all those varmits you prefer inside. put them in zoos. Do whatever you want just keep them away from my place. I got a story for you there was this childless couple who moved to Arkansas . Very liberal and animal lovers to a fault. Mamby pamby believed in the balance of nature Myth. Any how they bought a older remodeled home. Move in and first thing the set up their bird cage. they has two cockatells in the cage Had those birds for over a decade. later that day they went to town to get supplies. When they returned home they found two 6 foot chicken snakes in the cage with a bird sized bulge in each snake. so now instead of two pet birds they had two pet snakes! When I heard the story I had to bite my tounge to keep from laughing!
Wah hoo

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

<quoted text>
I can rephrase your post to read.....
Yes (coyotes) are a part of he food chain. Humans are (both predator and prey.) If not for the humans mainuplation of the environment (we would have a healthy ecosystem in balance.) Those native americans who never farmed and managed wildlife. they where feast & famine. they along with the wildlife starved during the winters.(But they also had respect for the land and wildlife resources and only took what they needed.) Varmits like coyotes have no natural enemies to keep their numbers in check (except for the wolves, lions and bears that we tried to eliminate out of ignorance which created a shortage of natural enemies for them.) So humans must step in and (try to undo what we did to the top predator populations by reintroducing them to the native lands where they belong.) and even things that eat vegetation need to be controlled by humans (which is fine as long as we do it responsibly because we ARE part of the web of life.) Beavers destroy the environment,(though destruction is only in the eye of the beholder. Some people view the beaver as something that only ALTERS the environment, as ALL wild animals AND humans do when they need to build homes and shelter for their families.)
Deer in many towns are a pestellence,(whatever that means. Oh wait, it means: 1 : a contagious or infectious epidemic disease that is virulent and devastating; especially : bubonic plague...... according to Webster.)
I wouldn't classify deer as you do, though too many will devastate the understory that many songbirds and small mammals need for nesting and shelter. As with all, or most, animals, controlling them is one thing....elimination is another....and elimination is wrong on all levels.
with regards to the Indians. They get what is called good press today. Ever hear of a buffalo jump? before white men the Indians would use fire and other means to stampede and drive whole herds off a cliff. killed hundreds at a time. most rotted and spoiled. By and large the Indians before white men had the intellect of children. They where especially vicious and cruel. they beat their wives and slaves on a daily basis. A captive was slowly tortured to deat over as long a period as possible. Skinned alive or slowly roasted genital burned or mulitated. The story of the white man saving the last two bulletts for himself and his wife are true. A young indian boy from birth to death was groomed to be a warrior they killed for a living. a murderer and killer by 12 years old. 35 years old was a old indian. Where I live in Arkansas there are not any natural enimies of coyotes. Thank goodness we don't have wolves and very few bears. The deer in towns eat all the vegetation. The bucks will see their reflection in a window and crash inside and destroy property. Many folks are injured and killed in deer car collisions. There never was a balance of nature. That's a Myth not true. dominant spiecies have increased and many others gone extinct even before man ever walked the planet. The nly constant is change and survival of the fittest. Like it or not its a Root Hawg or die survival of the fittest meanest crafitest most adaptiable to change that get to pass on their genetics.
Wah hoo

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

fame2 wrote:
or eat it if you were hungry just saying i would choose to let it go myself but my kid likes squirrel sooooooooo to each his own i guess lol
It rained yesterday. So in the evening I went out before dark and Harvested 4 squirrls. We had Two for supper. and the other 2 went into the freezer. I nailed them with a Mossberg 500 12guage number 7 1/2 shot. They where corn fed fat. They had been eating on my field corn before I picked it. Now the Hunters I rent deer stands to are feeding corn in their deer feeders. It was easy to harvest them.almost like shooting fish in a barrel.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Wah hoo wrote:
<quoted text> Just how stupid are you? I keep them safe on my land. Its impractical for me to keep livestock inside. The goats cattle sheep must graze. I cant grow my crops inside. I do the only feasible reasonable thing and that necessatiates my destroying anything I deem a varmit. My bantams roam and eat grasshoppers ticks and insects. Home grown eggs and meat from free range chickens are superior to those you get in the store. There are turkey Quail & songbirds that nest on my place in relative safety because my varmit eradication. Want to keep the varmits safe? You keep all those varmits you prefer inside. put them in zoos. Do whatever you want just keep them away from my place. I got a story for you there was this childless couple who moved to Arkansas . Very liberal and animal lovers to a fault. Mamby pamby believed in the balance of nature Myth. Any how they bought a older remodeled home. Move in and first thing the set up their bird cage. they has two cockatells in the cage Had those birds for over a decade. later that day they went to town to get supplies. When they returned home they found two 6 foot chicken snakes in the cage with a bird sized bulge in each snake. so now instead of two pet birds they had two pet snakes! When I heard the story I had to bite my tounge to keep from laughing!
To begin with, If they were truly animal lovers and believed in the balance of nature, they would NOT have had PET BIRDS (that should be flying freely in another hemisphere) held against their will in a CAGE on their Arkansas property!!!!

I have two large dogs that can pretty much take care of themselves, but when I'm not home, they stay in the house where I know they will be (fairly) safe. Nothing is 100%. I won't even leave them in my fenced in yard when I'm not home, because I know there are dangers that lurk, whether human or coyote. Heck, a passing Golden Eagle in migration took take a dog. There are recent reports that Mountain lions have been spotted in MI. I saw one myself last summer, though it was 150 miles from home. I'm sure one could clear my fence with no problem.

When I said leave your baby goats inside, I didn't mean in your home. Locked in a garage or barn while you're sleeping should keep them safe.

The problem is you kill things that never even were a threat to your livestock. I've heard horrible stories of humans shooting livestock from the road and leaving them to die too. Do you kill all humans you see just to make sure they can't kill your animals?
Wah hoo

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

nutz2you wrote:
Ive got some mole traps that you place in the runs. I once had a extrodianry huge rat problem at some grain bins. I didn't want to place poison. So on a hot day I stuck a garden hose in the holes and poured gasoline down the hose. Followed that with compressed air. Lots of gassed groggy rats emerged. My grandson and I batted them with clubs. We has a little dog along that was catching them also. finally they stopped coming out. so we put about five gallons of gas in a dozen holes and covered the rest up. I had the grandson apply the air and poured a stream on gas from a hole to about ten feet away . When I lit it the results where terriffic. big explosion flames shooting up in the air flaming rats running out into the field. We spent a hour stomping out fires lit by flaming rats. the explosion scared the dog so bad he left and went home. lots of great fun.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Wah hoo wrote:
<quoted text> with regards to the Indians. They get what is called good press today. Ever hear of a buffalo jump? before white men the Indians would use fire and other means to stampede and drive whole herds off a cliff. killed hundreds at a time. most rotted and spoiled. By and large the Indians before white men had the intellect of children. They where especially vicious and cruel. they beat their wives and slaves on a daily basis. A captive was slowly tortured to deat over as long a period as possible. Skinned alive or slowly roasted genital burned or mulitated. The story of the white man saving the last two bulletts for himself and his wife are true. A young indian boy from birth to death was groomed to be a warrior they killed for a living. a murderer and killer by 12 years old. 35 years old was a old indian. Where I live in Arkansas there are not any natural enimies of coyotes. Thank goodness we don't have wolves and very few bears. The deer in towns eat all the vegetation. The bucks will see their reflection in a window and crash inside and destroy property. Many folks are injured and killed in deer car collisions. There never was a balance of nature. That's a Myth not true. dominant spiecies have increased and many others gone extinct even before man ever walked the planet. The nly constant is change and survival of the fittest. Like it or not its a Root Hawg or die survival of the fittest meanest crafitest most adaptiable to change that get to pass on their genetics.
As with all humans, I believe some were good; some were bad. In general Indians knew they better conserve the resources because depleting them could mean their very survival.

Unfortunately, humans have seen to it that some of the most craftiest, healthiest and adaptable of creatures will NOT get to pass on their genes. There's nothing "unfit" about an animal that gets run over by a car, dies from ingesting pesticides, or flies into a glass window, as glass cannot be distinguished from the reflected trees and sky that is seen in it. Those are just a few of the ways we have destroyed that "only the healthiest and smartest will procreate" myth.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Wah hoo wrote:
<quoted text> It rained yesterday. So in the evening I went out before dark and Harvested 4 squirrls. We had Two for supper. and the other 2 went into the freezer. I nailed them with a Mossberg 500 12guage number 7 1/2 shot. They where corn fed fat. They had been eating on my field corn before I picked it. Now the Hunters I rent deer stands to are feeding corn in their deer feeders. It was easy to harvest them.almost like shooting fish in a barrel.
Harvest??
Don't you mean KILL?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Wah hoo wrote:
<quoted text> Ive got some mole traps that you place in the runs. I once had a extrodianry huge rat problem at some grain bins. I didn't want to place poison. So on a hot day I stuck a garden hose in the holes and poured gasoline down the hose. Followed that with compressed air. Lots of gassed groggy rats emerged. My grandson and I batted them with clubs. We has a little dog along that was catching them also. finally they stopped coming out. so we put about five gallons of gas in a dozen holes and covered the rest up. I had the grandson apply the air and poured a stream on gas from a hole to about ten feet away . When I lit it the results where terriffic. big explosion flames shooting up in the air flaming rats running out into the field. We spent a hour stomping out fires lit by flaming rats. the explosion scared the dog so bad he left and went home. lots of great fun.
Like I said before....you really do need help.
fame2

Mountain View, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

yep i agree 1000 percent
Gary

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Curmudgeon

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

<quoted text>
Harvest??
Don't you mean KILL?
Unless you only eat nuts,seeds and fruit after its fallen from the tree or plant you kill whatever you eat. And even then you have killed that seed it will never grow to be a tree or whatever. Harvest or kill its the same thing. Maybe you better not bathe or brush your teeth so you don't kill any bacteria.
Che

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

The birds falling from the sky died in mid-flight after encountering a noxious bubble of Brooke Mason's breath.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Judged:

Curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Unless you only eat nuts,seeds and fruit after its fallen from the tree or plant you kill whatever you eat. And even then you have killed that seed it will never grow to be a tree or whatever. Harvest or kill its the same thing. Maybe you better not bathe or brush your teeth so you don't kill any bacteria.
Obviously, you place mouth bacteria and tree nuts in the same category as living, breathing beings with feelngs and families. You must also hate humans. I have no problem with killing for food, as that's the way it was intended to happen. But other things must kill for food too. When a coyote kills your chickens, you say the coyote killed your chickens. When you kill squirrels, you claim you "harvested" them as though that's not as drastic as killing.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Obviously, you place mouth bacteria and tree nuts in the same category as living, breathing beings with feelngs and families. You must also hate humans. I have no problem with killing for food, as that's the way it was intended to happen. But other things must kill for food too. When a coyote kills your chickens, you say the coyote killed your chickens. When you kill squirrels, you claim you "harvested" them as though that's not as drastic as killing.
Harvesting is a feel good term used for political purposes when dealing with liberal tree huggers. I have used it myself although I have no problems saying I have killed. There are humans and animals that need killing, I can kill both and never ever think about their mommies..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Branch Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Branch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••