Brainerd man drowns in Gull Lake

Full story: TwinCities.com

A 20-year-old Brainerd man drowned today after swimming with a group of people in Gull Lake in central Minnesota.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Sep 18, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
COPDd

Walker, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 5, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Walker is an hour away from Gull Lake, which is in Crow Wing, not Cass County! It's not surprising that Cass Co. didn't release the man's identity......neither did Ramsey, Hennepin, Blue Earth, etc. How did TwinCities.com get their Minnesota geography so messed up? ce.
ovie

Inver Grove Heights, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 5, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Georgetta Jones strikes again! Thanks comment nanny! I'm glad you are there in every forum, ready to chastise!

Lake Park must be suuuuper boring!
Gull Lake Resident

Brainerd, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 5, 2008
 
I have a home on Gull Lake and our property is in Cass County, as is a portion of Gull Lake.
a witness

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 5, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

1

I was out there yesterday and i seen the divers pull the body up and it was one of the worst things i seen for all you who are making jokes about it you have something wrong with your brains honestly
Don STP

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 5, 2008
 

Judged:

3

3

1

a witness wrote:
I was out there yesterday and i seen the divers pull the body up and it was one of the worst things i seen for all you who are making jokes about it you have something wrong with your brains honestly
Witness: You need to learn English, honestly. Periods are your friend.
Don STP

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 5, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

ovie wrote:
Georgetta Jones strikes again! Thanks comment nanny! I'm glad you are there in every forum, ready to chastise!
Lake Park must be suuuuper boring!
Actually, Lake Park is kind of fun. I go up for occasional weekends at Lake Cormorant.
Heywood Ja

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 6, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

COPDd wrote:
Walker is an hour away from Gull Lake, which is in Crow Wing, not Cass County! It's not surprising that Cass Co. didn't release the man's identity......neither did Ramsey, Hennepin, Blue Earth, etc. How did TwinCities.com get their Minnesota geography so messed up? ce.
Maybe you need to get out a map and take a look at where the borders are on the lake Jethro. Must of miss that day in geography huh?

“Ready for a slap in the face??”

Since: Nov 07

Winnipeg,Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 6, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

I was there too, I have a condo 4 doors down from Ernies, I thought the sadest thing i saw was NO ONE really gave a shit and went on partying...
Ad Noctum

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 6, 2008
 

Judged:

1

dime11 wrote:
I was there too, I have a condo 4 doors down from Ernies, I thought the sadest thing i saw was NO ONE really gave a shit and went on partying...
sad enough, that's the way most people that party on Squaw Point on the 4th are.... most don't give a crap about anyone else, or anything else- except getting wasted and imposing upon everyone else's good time.
Heywood Ja

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 6, 2008
 
Ad Noctum wrote:
<quoted text>
sad enough, that's the way most people that party on Squaw Point on the 4th are.... most don't give a crap about anyone else, or anything else- except getting wasted and imposing upon everyone else's good time.
Sounds a lot like the people that hang around and party by Big Island on lake Minnetonka. A guy died there a couple of years ago over the 4th of July holiday, and no one want to move to let rescue in to help him. "They didn't want to lose their spots." POS!
Was there

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 6, 2008
 
i was there also and that was one thing i never thought i would see in my life. No one wants to see a body being pulled up from the water. people got out of the way and let the divers do what was needed. granted alot of people stayed out there and partied there was alot of good people who left and it affects everyone different. i didnt know him personally but i am good friends with alot of people that knew him and he was a great friend and a funny guy he will be greatly missed. I have been reading comments all day and its pathetic on how rude people can be on these things. friends and family might read this stuff have some common sense please. today was his birthday
was there too

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 7, 2008
 
Ad Noctum wrote:
<quoted text>
sad enough, that's the way most people that party on Squaw Point on the 4th are.... most don't give a crap about anyone else, or anything else- except getting wasted and imposing upon everyone else's good time.
It is really sad, Squaw Point used to be a place to bring the kids and have a fun afternoon. So much has changed in the last 5 years. It is no longer a place to bring kids for fear of cutting yourself on glass beer bottles that have been thrown into the lake. Not to mention what you will see and hear when you are there.

I am truly surprised this has not happened sooner. The whole thing makes me sick that such a young life was lost and was totaly preventable. My heart goes out to his family.
ahem

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 7, 2008
 
COPDd wrote:
Walker is an hour away from Gull Lake, which is in Crow Wing, not Cass County! It's not surprising that Cass Co. didn't release the man's identity......neither did Ramsey, Hennepin, Blue Earth, etc. How did TwinCities.com get their Minnesota geography so messed up? ce.
Minnesota has SEVEN Gull Lakes
annanynous

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 8, 2008
 
Nate Awalt gew up on the lake...him drowning makes no sense
annanynous

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 8, 2008
 
I really hope that places like where nate drowned has maybe some type of patroling going on from now on!! The crow wing county police officers are to worried about pulling people over and hiding to catch someone with a license plate light out that things like this get overlooked! It is so sad to see what our community has come to! That place has been a party spot for years! There should have been a police officer out there in the first place and now a young life is gone! R.I.P nate you will be missed by SO many people! We love you
teddyboy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 8, 2008
 
COPDd wrote:
Walker is an hour away from Gull Lake, which is in Crow Wing, not Cass County! It's not surprising that Cass Co. didn't release the man's identity......neither did Ramsey, Hennepin, Blue Earth, etc. How did TwinCities.com get their Minnesota geography so messed up? ce.
Most of Gull Lake is in Cass County. Need a map?
are you kidding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Who really gives a crap what county Gull lake is in, I mean really...
This is a great example of our society, people aquaking about things don't matter and the real story is that a young man died, did you even get that part of the story?
Take it somewhere else people. How stupid...
teddyboy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jul 8, 2008
 
are you kidding wrote:
Who really gives a crap what county Gull lake is in, I mean really...
This is a great example of our society, people aquaking about things don't matter and the real story is that a young man died, did you even get that part of the story?
Take it somewhere else people. How stupid...
It looks to me that several posters are interested in saying what in which county Gull Lake lies, including me.
That someplace else you refer to is where YOU should go to to expresss your sympathy. It's the guest pages at the funeral home website. This site is where anyone who has a comment they want to make can make. They call this a public commentary forum.
How stupid are you?
jrw

Bellevue, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jul 9, 2008
 
wow
are you kidding

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jul 9, 2008
 
teddyboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks to me that several posters are interested in saying what in which county Gull Lake lies, including me.
That someplace else you refer to is where YOU should go to to expresss your sympathy. It's the guest pages at the funeral home website. This site is where anyone who has a comment they want to make can make. They call this a public commentary forum.
How stupid are you?
Sorry, guess i am not as smart as you, maybe just a little more compassionate. To the guestbook I go.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brainerd Discussions

Search the Brainerd Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota veteran treats service dog incident a... Jul 20 Navy Guy 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Brainerd, MN (Jan '12) Jul 18 sherry 15
looking for alicia moe Jun '14 looking for alicia moe 1
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
Judge approves forfeiture of car, despite not g... May '14 David Shipp 1
Little Falls: Fund established for families of ... (Dec '12) Apr '14 UNKNOWN NAME 4
looking for biological father... Mar '14 amy 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Brainerd Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Brainerd People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Brainerd News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brainerd
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••