Judge cuts $2M penalty in song-sharin...

Judge cuts $2M penalty in song-sharing case

There are 20 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 22, 2010, titled Judge cuts $2M penalty in song-sharing case. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A federal judge in Minneapolis has drastically reduced a nearly $2 million verdict against a Minnesota woman found guilty last year of sharing 24 songs over the Internet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Good Judge

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jan 22, 2010
Good judge. He was right to reduce the fine, but he should have resuced it even more.

The scum from Hollywood control Congress -- this is a stupid law with very little public support.

Since: Mar 09

Minneapolis

#2 Jan 22, 2010
"Monstrous and Shocking" indeed. That was a ridiculous judgment. Our copyright laws are antiquated and in need of reform, post haste. They don't adequately compensate the creator, and they're impossible for average well-intentioned users to comply with. Add in the hardly-well-intentioned record industry trying to bankrupt people for ripping CD's they've already bought (yes, they are trying to do this) and it's a train-wreck. This woman did something stupid and pretty clearly illegal and tried to cover her tracks. She's guilty of petty theft. She doesn't deserve to be bankrupted and ruined, and that's what the RIAA is trying to do to her, and her kids.
Ghost Writer

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jan 22, 2010
Jammie Thomas-Rassert is no angel nor crusader but after following this story since it began she got what she deserved for her ignorance and stupidity.

Sorry, folks, if I seem harsh here but the artists and recording industry, represented by the RIAA, ASCAP, etcetera do have their points as well as she did. However, she continued to press on with the downloading etc. after court orders forbade her to do so. The nearly two million dollars in fines she was initially assessed were extremely excessive. The present ruling fining her $54,000 and court/legal costs is still steep while it presents a warning to down-loaders and a benchmark for cases to come.

Since this cases sets a legal precedent, good or bad, to further fight it would be fruitless at this time. If she sets up a website explaining this case and her predicament I would be willing to donate a couple of greenbacks for her fines and legal fees.

The Internet and cyberspace are promulgating problems unheard of just a few years ago.[As evident by this case.] It's time we all step back to promote civility, propriety, and the rule of law as to what permeates cyberspace. Thus far, rules and/or regulations are too few and far between with greed, hacking, chicanery, and terroristic piracy or threats ruling the expressive cyber freedoms we enjoy.

If anyone out there has any sane and viable suggestions on how cyberspace can be civilly used please let them be heard. At the rate this craziness is going, the old American Wild West never look tamer.

JTY

Since: Sep 08

Olathe, KS

#4 Jan 22, 2010
swmnguy wrote:
"Monstrous and Shocking" indeed. That was a ridiculous judgment. Our copyright laws are antiquated and in need of reform, post haste. They don't adequately compensate the creator, and they're impossible for average well-intentioned users to comply with. Add in the hardly-well-intentioned record industry trying to bankrupt people for ripping CD's they've already bought (yes, they are trying to do this) and it's a train-wreck. This woman did something stupid and pretty clearly illegal and tried to cover her tracks. She's guilty of petty theft. She doesn't deserve to be bankrupted and ruined, and that's what the RIAA is trying to do to her, and her kids.
She should get the same penalty as if she stole a dozen cd's.
The American Lesion

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Jan 22, 2010
Regarding the jury, I sure hope I never up in a position of having a jury trial. Evidently my "peers" are ****holes and idiots and they will do what is necessary... to do nothing at all and get home A.S.A.P.
BRuTaL BRuNeTTE

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jan 22, 2010
that is bull crap that they charged her that much. it should have been thrown out. what a flippen JOKE
BRuTaL BRuNeTTE

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jan 22, 2010
Ghost Writer wrote:
Jammie Thomas-Rassert is no angel nor crusader but after following this story since it began she got what she deserved for her ignorance and stupidity.
Sorry, folks, if I seem harsh here but the artists and recording industry, represented by the RIAA, ASCAP, etcetera do have their points as well as she did. However, she continued to press on with the downloading etc. after court orders forbade her to do so. The nearly two million dollars in fines she was initially assessed were extremely excessive. The present ruling fining her $54,000 and court/legal costs is still steep while it presents a warning to down-loaders and a benchmark for cases to come.
Since this cases sets a legal precedent, good or bad, to further fight it would be fruitless at this time. If she sets up a website explaining this case and her predicament I would be willing to donate a couple of greenbacks for her fines and legal fees.
The Internet and cyberspace are promulgating problems unheard of just a few years ago.[As evident by this case.] It's time we all step back to promote civility, propriety, and the rule of law as to what permeates cyberspace. Thus far, rules and/or regulations are too few and far between with greed, hacking, chicanery, and terroristic piracy or threats ruling the expressive cyber freedoms we enjoy.
If anyone out there has any sane and viable suggestions on how cyberspace can be civilly used please let them be heard. At the rate this craziness is going, the old American Wild West never look tamer.
watever dude. EVERYONE DOES IT
jvm

Wichita, KS

#8 Jan 23, 2010
She should have been in politics. They are forgiven for everything, incluting murder.

Since: Apr 08

Black River Falls, WI

#9 Jan 23, 2010
BRuTaL BRuNeTTE wrote:
<quoted text>watever dude. EVERYONE DOES IT
If a murderer used that defense or child molester, would you feel the same way?
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jan 23, 2010
The American Lesion wrote:
Regarding the jury, I sure hope I never up in a position of having a jury trial. Evidently my "peers" are **** holes and idiots and they will do what is necessary... to do nothing at all and get home A.S.A.P.

They literally applied the law rather than justice.

These draconian copyright provisions are the result of the entertainment industry owning congress. Bush and the republicans cooperated with the democrats on passing this ridiculous law...
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jan 23, 2010
It was a simple fix wrote:
<quoted text>
If a murderer used that defense or child molester, would you feel the same way?

Do you consider child molestation to be the moral equivalent of song pirating? What a silly argument you advance.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 23, 2010
The music industry was using this woman to send a message to those pirating copyrighted music. The judgment was that high as a scare tactic.

I fully expected it to be reduced. The problem with the music industry was that at the time they were applying antiquated law for a situation that didn't exist when the law was made (namely the Internet).

There has been an explosion of albums now offered as mp3 downloads where people can get high quality recordings for much less money than a cd would cost.

The music industry is slowly catching up to technology. They still have a ways to go.

They might also start treating their artists better. Music artists also have caught on to the Internet and some are now offering their music on their own sites rather than through a recording company.

Fred

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jan 23, 2010
So glad the Judge did what he could. The award was outrageous.
JAdams

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jan 23, 2010
She would have been better off to cheat on her taxes. Then she would qualify to run for U.S. Senator from the State of Minnesota.
i hate most people

Stillwater, MN

#15 Jan 23, 2010
This woman is one of the dumbest people I have heard of, as well as the ugliest.
King Kisser

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jan 23, 2010
Da bears!!!

Since: Apr 08

Black River Falls, WI

#17 Jan 23, 2010
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you consider child molestation to be the moral equivalent of song pirating? What a silly argument you advance.
No, what it means is you just don't break the law because everyone is doing it. I see you can't connect the dots to well.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jan 23, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
The music industry was using this woman to send a message to those pirating copyrighted music. The judgment was that high as a scare tactic.
I fully expected it to be reduced. The problem with the music industry was that at the time they were applying antiquated law for a situation that didn't exist when the law was made (namely the Internet)...

The judgement was an application of the statutory damages set by lat. The statute was not antiquated, but was a new one passed in response to internet piracy. Do you have any mechanism for figuring out what's really going on before you pontificate on it?
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jan 23, 2010
It was a simple fix wrote:
<quoted text>
No, what it means is you just don't break the law because everyone is doing it. I see you can't connect the dots to well.

Well, I pointed out that your argument was fatally flawed. Hiding behind the government as the arbiter of your morality--exercising followership is hardly a way to stake out a claim as a voice to be listened to.

Sure, I break laws all the time that I don't agree with--as do most people. Speeding being a good example.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jan 23, 2010
JAdams wrote:
She would have been better off to cheat on her taxes. Then she would qualify to run for U.S. Senator from the State of Minnesota.

Or be secretary of the treasury.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brainerd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Worker shortage grows as number of internationa... (Jun '17) Jun '17 spytheweb 2
Local Politics Do you approve of John Ward as ? (May '17) May '17 km loney 1
News Nisswa students pack meals for Kids Against Hun... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Addison Lullo 25 1
News Brainerd man drowns in Gull Lake (Jul '08) Jul '16 Ginny 29
News Bodhi Edie Returning To Canadian Superbike Cham... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 4
looking for alicia moe (Jun '14) Dec '15 GPK 3
News August 5, 2015 - (Aug '15) Aug '15 rodney neslson 1

Brainerd Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brainerd Mortgages