First Prev
of 4
Next Last
MadMom

Downers Grove, IL

#1 Mar 11, 2013
Just picked up my child from school. Snack time, something all children look forward to in the school day. My child came home upset because today at snack, they offered animal crackers. My childs favorite. But they only allowed my child to have 3 of them. Really? 3 small animal crackers? My child is not in prison!! Give the kids a handful at least. I pay great amount of money in Braidwood taxes, I pay for school events, for my child to be in school, I buy school supplies for the classrooms when needed and asked, I help at parties, and buy for parties and the school cant even afford to give my child a good snack?!!? What is this world coming too? People in prison get better snacks.... THATS NOT RIGHT AT ALL. Any other parent, agree with me, that this is wrong? Instead of buying all the teachers iPads, get cheap desk top computers (walmart sells them for $300) and save the extra money for good snacks! You can get a HUGE thing of animal cracker from Sams Club for 8dollars! My child can learn on a desk top like I did, dont need a iPad. Shit, dont need either!!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2 Mar 11, 2013
MadMom wrote:
Just picked up my child from school. Snack time, something all children look forward to in the school day. My child came home upset because today at snack, they offered animal crackers. My childs favorite. But they only allowed my child to have 3 of them. Really? 3 small animal crackers? My child is not in prison!! Give the kids a handful at least. I pay great amount of money in Braidwood taxes, I pay for school events, for my child to be in school, I buy school supplies for the classrooms when needed and asked, I help at parties, and buy for parties and the school cant even afford to give my child a good snack?!!? What is this world coming too? People in prison get better snacks.... THATS NOT RIGHT AT ALL. Any other parent, agree with me, that this is wrong? Instead of buying all the teachers iPads, get cheap desk top computers (walmart sells them for $300) and save the extra money for good snacks! You can get a HUGE thing of animal cracker from Sams Club for 8dollars! My child can learn on a desk top like I did, dont need a iPad. Shit, dont need either!!!
Looks like the serving size of animal crackers is 17 crackers. I believe your argument was logical up until your attacks on computers? Are you seriously comparing animal crackers to laptops, iPads, computers??
MadMom

Downers Grove, IL

#3 Mar 11, 2013
Soap Box 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like the serving size of animal crackers is 17 crackers. I believe your argument was logical up until your attacks on computers? Are you seriously comparing animal crackers to laptops, iPads, computers??
Nope, was not comparing the two at all. Was stating a fact!!
If the school can spend thousands of dollars every year to get new computers/iPads, that really if you ask me they dont need. I would rather my child learn from a book, like I did. Computers are for middle schoolers and high schoolers, not pre schoolers and first graders.

My point is, that if they can spend TONS of money on comptuers/iPads/internet.... Take some money and provide a actual snack for the kids, not "3 animal crakers"
I would provide the snack for my child, but the school dont allow it!
Hmmm

Bloomfield, CT

#4 Mar 11, 2013
Did you talk to the teacher and ask about it (politely and calmly, like a grownup), or is this just a bitch session over presumed slights?

Do you REALLY think counting animal crackers is a thing to get worked up about BEFORE you speak with the teacher?

Seriously.
MadMom

Downers Grove, IL

#5 Mar 11, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
Did you talk to the teacher and ask about it (politely and calmly, like a grownup), or is this just a bitch session over presumed slights?
Do you REALLY think counting animal crackers is a thing to get worked up about BEFORE you speak with the teacher?
Seriously.
I called the school and asked to speak with someone on this issue, I am to be getting a call back because office didnt know who was around to talk with over an issue like this.
And yes, I will be polite and calm about it like a grown up.... I am guessing you have not grown up yet as to the language you thought you needed to add to this topic. There was no need at all for a cuss word such as "the B" word.
And no, I dont think counting animal crackers should of happened, just stating that a HANDFUL should of at least been handed out. But I have worked for daycares before and all items food wise for lunch and snacks, is to be counted out, and measured each time to state amount, even if child chooses not to eat it.
How would you like to go to dinner and order a meal.... only get 3fries and thats it? I think you would "your B word" too!
As for I am talking about now 3-4-5year old kids.

So yes, Seriously!
Hmmm

Bloomfield, CT

#6 Mar 11, 2013
I'd consider it a humanitarian gesture if they limited the fries. ;)

Bitching, bitch, bitches, etc. are slang, but not cuss words. I can think of a few of those, but I don't use them.

I know how my mom would have handled this. She would have downplayed it with me, pending verification with the school re: the reason for the rationing. Then if she considered it necessary, she would have explained the rationing to me in terms a 3-5 year old could grasp. She probably would have deflected my attention to something fun at home.

She wouldn't have considered it particularly traumatic, but would have used the occasion as a teachable moment.

If the complaints continued that her kids were being shorted, then she might have taken it up with the school. But once? Nah.

OTOH, we didn't get snacks provided by the school. Kids were tougher then. If they had handed us three animal crackers, we would have been thunderstruck by their largesse.
Brittany

Downers Grove, IL

#7 Mar 11, 2013
I am going to have to say as a parent of a small child that goes to school, that I under stand where this mother is coming from. Anyone with a child, would understand. The other two comments from people must not have children, or they are just heartless parents. Young children go to school to lead themselves up to going to school full time, from part time. They learn everything over a term of a year or two to get them ready, they go from home to eating when they want and as many snacks as they want a day to school having one snack there, to just having lunch at school. So this ladies child is learning them steps. That child was hungy it sounds like, and you are bashing the mother for sticking up for her own child. I would do the same thing. GOOD FOR YOU MADMOM! Thats what parents do, stick up and take care of their children. If you dont have children or dont have children in school yet going threw this, its mostlikly best you dont comment. Yes I know its a public site and anyone can comment, but this mother was stating her facts and asking what other parents of the school think. Well, my child is in daycare school and will be going to this school next year, and if this happens to my child, I will be the same way!!
Debbie

Downers Grove, IL

#8 Mar 11, 2013
As a teacher, 3 is not enough, why tease the kids. Don't even bother giving them a snack then. If the state requires a snack in these classes, I doubt 3 is enough, it's prob the serving size amount they should get, if not more.
Hmmm

Bloomfield, CT

#9 Mar 11, 2013
No doubt you will. What kid gets unlimited snacks at home? Amazing.

To be "mad" over one snack is overreacting.

Been there, so don't presume I haven't. There is no way my kids got snacks "whenever" at home. They got what they needed. They learned to deal with minor disappointments by experiencing minor disappointments.

Life isn't always perfect, or fair. Not everything is a crisis, however. And not everything is somebody's fault.
Debbie

Downers Grove, IL

#10 Mar 11, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
No doubt you will. What kid gets unlimited snacks at home? Amazing.
To be "mad" over one snack is overreacting.
Been there, so don't presume I haven't. There is no way my kids got snacks "whenever" at home. They got what they needed. They learned to deal with minor disappointments by experiencing minor disappointments.
Life isn't always perfect, or fair. Not everything is a crisis, however. And not everything is somebody's fault.
So if your child asked for something to eat or a snack, you would not give it to them? Wow! I don't think this parent is over reacting at all
Hmmm

Bloomfield, CT

#11 Mar 11, 2013
Snacks on demand? Who started that nonsense? I can see building snacks into the day, but I'm not a vending machine. No. YMMV.
Debbie

Downers Grove, IL

#12 Mar 11, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
Snacks on demand? Who started that nonsense? I can see building snacks into the day, but I'm not a vending machine. No. YMMV.
When it comes to your kids, you should be! If they want something to eat you get it. So your 3 year old wants a snack, they are hungry, dinner isn't for 4 more hours... Make them wait? Teach them what? That they need to learn to be hungry and deal with it? You are a joke lady!!! Now if they are 14 or 17 they can just walk in kitchen and get what they want when they want.... That's not far at all. Hopefully you only have one child and not more then that.
Andy

Downers Grove, IL

#13 Mar 11, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
You really sicken me! Feed a child when they want it!!
Kate

Downers Grove, IL

#14 Mar 11, 2013
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
You really sicken me! Feed a child when they want it!!
Hopefully she is not answering you because hopefully she is feeding her child or children dinner. Hopefully it fills them as to seeing they are not going to get a snack before bed and will have to wait till breakfast
just saying

Chicago, IL

#15 Mar 11, 2013
MadMom wrote:
<quoted text>
I called the school and asked to speak with someone on this issue, I am to be getting a call back because office didnt know who was around to talk with over an issue like this.
And yes, I will be polite and calm about it like a grown up.... I am guessing you have not grown up yet as to the language you thought you needed to add to this topic. There was no need at all for a cuss word such as "the B" word.
And no, I dont think counting animal crackers should of happened, just stating that a HANDFUL should of at least been handed out. But I have worked for daycares before and all items food wise for lunch and snacks, is to be counted out, and measured each time to state amount, even if child chooses not to eat it.
How would you like to go to dinner and order a meal.... only get 3fries and thats it? I think you would "your B word" too!
As for I am talking about now 3-4-5year old kids.
So yes, Seriously!
This is why kids aren't learning anything in school. Teachers are busy wasting their time talking to crazy people about how many animal crackers their kid is getting.Somebody has to tell kids no. Parents can't, so it's up to the teacher to do so.I would like to see the school start charging parents $50.00 a call to talk to teachers about stupid issues.
Brittany

Downers Grove, IL

#16 Mar 11, 2013
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why kids aren't learning anything in school. Teachers are busy wasting their time talking to crazy people about how many animal crackers their kid is getting.Somebody has to tell kids no. Parents can't, so it's up to the teacher to do so.I would like to see the school start charging parents $50.00 a call to talk to teachers about stupid issues.
LOL you must of voted for Obama! That made me laugh, thank you!
Hmmm

Holden, MA

#17 Mar 11, 2013
I agree. It's much ado about nothing, unless it happens frequently.

I have no problem with snacks, but NO I absolutely don't believe in continuous snacks just because a kid demands them. Same goes for older kids. There are three meals that are planned to be healthy. Snacks after school, snacks before bed. Not a daylong litany of "I'm hungry". There's nothing wrong with limiting snacks. They're not starving to death, and it won't kill them to be told no so they don't end up picking at dinner.

Yeah, I'm SO mean.@@
Matt

Downers Grove, IL

#18 Mar 11, 2013
I am glad a co worker told me about this going on. My child has had the same issue for a couple weeks now. Today he got 4 crackers. Thinking its same class. I would not stress over it, but first comment to this is correct. Why do we as parents and town people pay so much into school and taxes if the schools can not even provide what they were told they would. It's different if the kids refuse the snack, but a snack needs to be provided when they say it is, and not a tease for these kids. Other wise I will send snacks in my sons bag for him to eat and tell him to do it in restroom if need be so he is not seen.
Wild Jim

Glen Ellyn, IL

#19 Mar 11, 2013
3 or 4 animal crackers just don't cut it; look into the principals desk; Mr. Wise loves animal crackers!
MadMom

Downers Grove, IL

#20 Mar 11, 2013
I am so glad that I am not the only parent who feels this was wrong.
As for the other rude comments, I dont even know what to say. I could see if we were talking about grown adults going with out snacks thru out the day, or high school kids, but young children.... And you think it is ok! IT IS NOT OK!
I do understand the "3 meals of the day", we have them in our house too. But I do allow my child to have a snack when they are ready for one. If they eat breakfast at 730 in the morning, go to school and have the snack they are to get, come home have a healthy lunch at noon, then if they want a snack at 130, you best bet as a mother I am giving my child a snack. Snacks dont mean chips, cookies, poptarts, a snack can be yogert, cheese, anything. Healthy!! Even if not healthy, I dont tell my child no when ready to have something to eat.

What is wrong with this world for a parent to do that!?!?!!!?!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Braidwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Business? 6 hr captain cashed 2
Best TV & Internet Provdiers? Tue Happy Dad 2
Braidwood spring election. Mon Duh 2
$50,000 to spend for developement!!! Mon YeHaw 7
Unemployment debit card (Jan '09) Sun HLR 205
Jimmy Vehrs?? Nov 10 AssMe 5
dog vet in area? Nov 10 DOOMsman 3
Braidwood Dating
Find my Match

Braidwood People Search