Florida Constitutional Amendments: What You Need to Know

Posted in the Bradenton Forum

Aunt Sherman

Venice, FL

#1 Oct 1, 2008
# 1. Amendment 1 ~ Repeal of Alien Land Law ~
With the current finnancal crisis, I don't think it's a good time to remove this. Vote NO

# 2. Amendment 2 ~ Gay Marriage Ban ~
I hope approval of this Amendment #2 doesn't just make a whole bunch a lawyers rich...But Marrage should be between a union between a man and a woman. There will be no prodgey of any same sex union that will ever have to fight and die defending their country, so to afford them the same rights, would be a unfair. It would also be a burden on regular people with regular jobs health care plans. Vote NO

# 3. Amendment 3 ~ Hurricane and Energy Tax Break ~
Sounds good to me, could even create some jobs. Vote YES

# 4 Amendment 4 ~ Conservation Land Tax Break ~
I think it's a way for these rich land delelopers whom had to create and set aside Mitigation lands to be able to build large housing developments that are now vacant & foreclosed, just another tax break. forget it. Vote NO

# 6. Amendment 6 ~ Working Waterfront Tax Break ~
A very good law. A tax based on what tax assessors think would be the “highest and best use” of the property. Um, the land owner gets to decide this. Who dreamt that up? it should include all private property. Vote Yes

# 8. Amendment 8 ~ New Sales Tax for Community College Districts ~
Most people in Florida (retirees) already paid to put their children thru college. There are plenty of scholarships and other programs available to help students.
Aunt Sherman

Venice, FL

#2 Oct 1, 2008
Sould have been a vote YES on number 2..

Just an example of how the wording of these Constitutional Amendments get you confused.
FLYgRblcn

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Oct 11, 2008
#1-no, I think most countries should limit foreign ownership of land, though this does seems outdated
and strict

#2-no

I am a conservative when it comes to social issues, but Amendment 2 has no place in our constitution. I’ll be voting NO on Amendment 2. Florida already has a gay marriage ban on the books. Amendment 2 also outlaws domestic partnership and civil unions. I am straight, but I am friends with several gay couples, and one elderly couple who have a domestic partnership because they did not want to remarry. This law would repeal rights for them. I don’t understand the logic of some people who call themselves “traditionalists” or conservative and who don’t want domestic partnerships: most conservatives don’t agree with the lifestyle of gay couples, but allowing them domestic partnerships bring them closer to the lifestyle that we respect instead of keeping them out. By passing this legislation you keep gay couples acting differently instead of more conservative, it makes no sense and it is hypocritical.

Amendment 3-yes

Amendment 4-yes

Amendment 6-yes, lets enable business owners of our working waterfronts to stay in business with current usage

Amendment 8-yes, imposes no new taxes and puts the option to a vote
kenny k

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#4 Oct 18, 2008
why are you saying vote NO on #2 when you say you support the ban?
Aunt Sherman wrote:
# 1. Amendment 1 ~ Repeal of Alien Land Law ~
With the current finnancal crisis, I don't think it's a good time to remove this. Vote NO
# 2. Amendment 2 ~ Gay Marriage Ban ~
I hope approval of this Amendment #2 doesn't just make a whole bunch a lawyers rich...But Marrage should be between a union between a man and a woman. There will be no prodgey of any same sex union that will ever have to fight and die defending their country, so to afford them the same rights, would be a unfair. It would also be a burden on regular people with regular jobs health care plans. Vote NO
# 3. Amendment 3 ~ Hurricane and Energy Tax Break ~
Sounds good to me, could even create some jobs. Vote YES
# 4 Amendment 4 ~ Conservation Land Tax Break ~
I think it's a way for these rich land delelopers whom had to create and set aside Mitigation lands to be able to build large housing developments that are now vacant & foreclosed, just another tax break. forget it. Vote NO
# 6. Amendment 6 ~ Working Waterfront Tax Break ~
A very good law. A tax based on what tax assessors think would be the “highest and best use” of the property. Um, the land owner gets to decide this. Who dreamt that up? it should include all private property. Vote Yes
# 8. Amendment 8 ~ New Sales Tax for Community College Districts ~
Most people in Florida (retirees) already paid to put their children thru college. There are plenty of scholarships and other programs available to help students.
Joe the Engineer

Venice, FL

#5 Oct 24, 2008
kenny k wrote:
why are you saying vote NO on #2 when you say you support the ban?<quoted text>
Please see the next post directly under it...
they were testing you
FRED

Sarasota, FL

#6 Oct 25, 2008
NO on 2...they are trying to make it look like a gay issue. It IS NOT! It is about ANY un-married couple NOT having the same rights as married ones. If you have life-threatening hospital stay your partner (not only gays) will not be considered next of kin and you can not make any decisions on your loved one. Read it again and vote NO ON 2, for the safety of EVERY Americans constitutional rights!
Randy

Saint Petersburg, FL

#7 Oct 26, 2008
Aunt Sherman wrote:

There will be no prodgey of any same sex union that will ever have to fight and die defending their country,so to afford them the same rights, would be a unfair. It would also be a burden on regular people with regular jobs health care plans.
Progeny.

What you're saying is that not all of the people who fight and die to defend their country should be able to marry and get medical benefits for their partner, just the heterosexual ones?

And it's OK for "regular people" to be a "burden" on gay people, but not the other way around?

When people are so adamant against gay marriage, I always want to ask them, Would you want your son to marry a lesbian woman? Would you want your daughter to marry a gay man? No? Would you wish it on someone else's daughter or son? That's what you're doing when you make it so hard for gays to come out of the closet and be who they are. That's what you're promoting when you say marriage is only between a man and a woman. Young gay people marrying opposite sex partners, having kids, then divorcing when they can't keep pretending anymore. Who benefits from this charade?
Clear the Way

Venice, FL

#8 Oct 26, 2008
FRED wrote:
NO on 2...they are trying to make it look like a gay issue. It IS NOT! It is about ANY un-married couple NOT having the same rights as married ones. If you have life-threatening hospital stay your partner (not only gays) will not be considered next of kin and you can not make any decisions on your loved one. Read it again and vote NO ON 2, for the safety of EVERY Americans constitutional rights!
No your wrong there are already civil union laws that florida has that allow you to visit your loved one in the hospital and make decisions on they behalf that will not be affected by voting yes on 2
Aunt Sherman

Venice, FL

#9 Oct 26, 2008
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
Progeny.
What you're saying is that not all of the people who fight and die to defend their country should be able to marry and get medical benefits for their partner, just the heterosexual ones?
And it's OK for "regular people" to be a "burden" on gay people, but not the other way around?
When people are so adamant against gay marriage, I always want to ask them, Would you want your son to marry a lesbian woman? Would you want your daughter to marry a gay man? No? Would you wish it on someone else's daughter or son? That's what you're doing when you make it so hard for gays to come out of the closet and be who they are. That's what you're promoting when you say marriage is only between a man and a woman. Young gay people marrying opposite sex partners, having kids, then divorcing when they can't keep pretending anymore. Who benefits from this charade?
What?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bradenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nodding 5 hr Djmyztyk 4
'50 Shades!: The Musical' returns to Sarasota (Nov '13) 17 hr citizen four 7
Crook (Jun '14) Dec 21 HLIFE 3
places to meet single women Dec 21 Joel 11
DUI offender asking for help may get more time (Sep '10) Dec 18 Bobby Donahue Bra... 29
Mexico Beach City Council Pursues Internal Inve... (Aug '12) Dec 17 Bobby Donahue Bra... 5
Review: Impact Basketball Academy (Jan '11) Dec 13 Mathew 27

Rip Current Statement for Manatee County was issued at December 25 at 3:13AM EST

Bradenton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bradenton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bradenton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bradenton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:23 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:23PM