Eight new restaurants emerge in Whitt...

Eight new restaurants emerge in Whittier's Uptown while economy...

There are 52 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Jan 23, 2010, titled Eight new restaurants emerge in Whittier's Uptown while economy.... In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

There's a restaurant renaissance going on in Uptown. Despite a sputtering economy, eight new businesses have opened on a stretch of Greenleaf Avenue and nearby in the last 18 months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Annonymous in Whittier

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jan 24, 2010
The addition of new restaurants is great...as long as we can find PARKING! There are too few parking spaces for the disabled in Uptown, and many times, we just give up and go elsewhere...La Habra, Brea, or Fullerton! Is this being taken into consideration for all these new restaurants? Hope so, and good luck to all the new comers to Uptown!
Scott

Whittier, CA

#2 Jan 24, 2010
Collier is an idiot. He's surprised that successful business help the city tax base? He's surprised that good restaurants are drawing people in? The city council has strangled uptown Whittier for years by not allowing anything but used book stores "vintage clothing" on Greenleaf. Brea, Pasadena, The Gaslamp in San Diego, Long Beach and even Alhambra have thriving downtown areas, not because there's a bar in every other building, but because they have created a dining and shopping environment that people want to be a part of. Whittier has rejected that level of success for years, either through sheer incompetence or downright stupidity. I'm glad to see that the business owners are finally having some success at fighting back.

Since: Aug 09

Surfside, CA

#3 Jan 24, 2010
The only problem with the new places is that they are not very affordable if you are on the lower income bracket. :-/

Since: Sep 09

Pico Rivera

#4 Jan 24, 2010
more canvas for the cholos to tag
whitty

Whittier, CA

#5 Jan 24, 2010
I love to see anything going in a positive direction. Uptown is looking great and the restaurants are a big part of it. Shopping needs to be a bit better but we gotta start somewhere.
bug a boo

Whittier, CA

#9 Jan 24, 2010
Annonymous in Whittier wrote:
The addition of new restaurants is great...as long as we can find PARKING! There are too few parking spaces for the disabled in Uptown, and many times, we just give up and go elsewhere...La Habra, Brea, or Fullerton! Is this being taken into consideration for all these new restaurants? Hope so, and good luck to all the new comers to Uptown!
There is that big parking structure behind Greenleaf-off of Bright? Usually empty.
Fine Dining

San Diego, CA

#10 Jan 24, 2010
I have had several meals at Seta, lunch and dinner. Always fantastic. Uptown Whittier, thanks to the City Council, has never thrived like Brea and Fullerton. The residents needs to boot out the no-growth council and replace them with folks who are not drinking the Obama Kool-Aid, but rather "invest" in business. That is why I moved out of Whittier, where I was raised, years ago and have never looked back. The blogger who stated nothing but book stores etc open in Uptown hit the nail on the head.
Rose of Whittier

United States

#11 Jan 24, 2010
The best way that we can help Uptown is to spend our our money there. Restaurants are looking good!
We still need some better shops.
Jonathan

Whittier, CA

#12 Jan 24, 2010
Great places with tons of potential if they can get rid of the 12am curfew. I'll spend my money somewhere else til that changes!!!
dixie lady

Whittier, CA

#13 Jan 24, 2010
Jonathan wrote:
Great places with tons of potential if they can get rid of the 12am curfew. I'll spend my money somewhere else til that changes!!!
I want something for before or after dinner and I love to shop. While books are good, I also want clothing and home items. How about a GAP? Fossil? Loft? maybe those stores are too high end, but a gal has got to have clothes. Theatre is nice, but I would love to see more.
bye bye

Rosemead, CA

#14 Jan 24, 2010
Fine Dining wrote:
I have had several meals at Seta, lunch and dinner. Always fantastic. Uptown Whittier, thanks to the City Council, has never thrived like Brea and Fullerton. The residents needs to boot out the no-growth council and replace them with folks who are not drinking the Obama Kool-Aid, but rather "invest" in business. That is why I moved out of Whittier, where I was raised, years ago and have never looked back. The blogger who stated nothing but book stores etc open in Uptown hit the nail on the head.
Thankfully you left Whittier as we really don't need your negativity. The point is that Uptown now appears to be on the rebound. Whittier is not Disneyland cookie cutter Orange County,(thank god!) which is why Uptown has the potential for new restaurants, stores, and homes. I moved from Pasadena 5 years ago and it's been one of the best moves we made, problems and all.
chuckles

Whittier, CA

#15 Jan 24, 2010
wouldnt it be great if a yard house opened up in uptown.
whittier whitier

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jan 25, 2010
There is that big parking structure behind Greenleaf-off of Bright? Usually empty.

the poster youre responding to needs handicapped parking. walking from the parking structure to a restaurant a block or 2 away is NOT easy. whittier does needs MORE handicapped spots in front of restaurants and stores.
whittier whitier

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Jan 25, 2010
the only way to get more handicapped spots is by voicing your opinion at city hall. you have a valid point. the spots along greenleaf are few and far in between. theres only 1 spot at the beginning and end of the parking strip. why not have 2 or 3 at the beginning and end of every srtip ?? even in the parking lot on the west side of greenleaf has only a few blue handicapped. and those are towards the street side of the lot ! not up front near the stores and restaurants.
Fed up

Anaheim, CA

#18 Jan 25, 2010
It would be a nice place to take a walk at night and have a good dinner, but one thing needs to happen. The PD needs to be more proactive in ridding the area of street bums and hooligans that roam the alleys and sidewalks along Greenleaf. Uptown is turning to Sh*T. With all the nearby apartments, that area is a feeding ground for the knucklheads that ruin our society

“Oops...Did I offend someone?”

Since: Oct 09

Whittier

#19 Jan 25, 2010
Fed up wrote:
It would be a nice place to take a walk at night and have a good dinner, but one thing needs to happen. The PD needs to be more proactive in ridding the area of street bums and hooligans that roam the alleys and sidewalks along Greenleaf. Uptown is turning to Sh*T. With all the nearby apartments, that area is a feeding ground for the knucklheads that ruin our society
My thoughts exactly. The problem is these wannabe punk rocker kids. They think that being punk rock means you have to panhandle. These kids are nothing but brats and need to be at home with their parents instead of panhandling for their next heroine fix. Dirty filthy wannabes must be rid of in order for success.
GEo

Burbank, CA

#20 Jan 25, 2010
I've been to most of the new restaurants and haven't been disappointed. Went to the Bottle Room with some friends and had a great time. I love good beer and that's what I got. Of course, Golden Ox is always freakin' delicious! Nothing but a positive for myself and the city.
GEo

Burbank, CA

#21 Jan 25, 2010
Not Distracted wrote:
<quoted text>
My thoughts exactly. The problem is these wannabe punk rocker kids. They think that being punk rock means you have to panhandle. These kids are nothing but brats and need to be at home with their parents instead of panhandling for their next heroine fix. Dirty filthy wannabes must be rid of in order for success.
Just tell them no. It works for me every single time. Nothin scary about little wannabe punk rock kids. Those patches they wear cost atleast five bucks each! They aren't poor, just playing the part. Don't be scared and just enjoy what Uptown has to offer.
Fine Dining

San Diego, CA

#23 Jan 25, 2010
Fed up wrote:
It would be a nice place to take a walk at night and have a good dinner, but one thing needs to happen. The PD needs to be more proactive in ridding the area of street bums and hooligans that roam the alleys and sidewalks along Greenleaf. Uptown is turning to ****. With all the nearby apartments, that area is a feeding ground for the knucklheads that ruin our society
You make a great point, Whittier PD really needs to enforce existing laws aggressively to get the low lifes out. The best way to make that happen is to have a group of people attend one of the City Council meetings and voice your concern. No drama, just articulate and dignified citizens. AND if you can grab some shop owners whose business is hurt by the punks, along with a short video, that makes for a dynamic presentation.

Fullerton had a problem a couple of years ago with drunks and fights from imported cholos out of the area coupled with the bars and resturaunts serving drunks from the college. As a result there were numerous fights, cholo stabbings, etc. The good citizens who spend their money and bring their families got pissed and stormed City Hall, with help of the paper, and made their concerns known.

Fullerton City Council, unlike the Whittier City Council, were very responsive. The PD hooked up with the Fire Department and ABC investigators and hammered the "Rock'n Taco" (who had more issues than all of the bars combined) and other locations for overcrowding, serving drunks (a violation) and serving minors. The City layed down heavy fines, the ABC suspended licenses, and the cops kicked ass. Rock'n Taco has since been closed, Matador opened up and the problems virtually all went away. Amazing.

Now Fullerton is on fire with new resturaunts for families and the college kids. They make a ton of tax money and provide a great place to party after dinner. Almost all of the nice places have an army of security, specially Matador (great Mexican grub and drinks by the way). If you are a fool or a cue ball wanna be gangster, you don't get in, period. They don't bother to come arouna anymore.

Will Whittier ever do that? Hell no, they will encourage a new book store or antique shop to open saying they are making progress in Uptown. Good luck folks, Whittier was once a great town, I would love to see it come back where everyone can make money and have fun.
Art

Montclair, CA

#24 Jan 25, 2010
All these restaurants will fail! I guarantee it... It's the biggest set up for failure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bradbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Citizens of glendora ca get ready to bend over! 6 hr Preivileges not r... 2
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr You phartsz 33,204
Heard Chris Jeffes applied (May '16) 10 hr Pure evil 6
Hadjinian abuses use of Fire services 15 hr happy hopper 7
history of gangs in west covina (Dec '07) 17 hr GLASS DICK 2,803
missing armo kid Mon Kinder and Gentle... 14
Police Watch (Jun '12) Mon Anonymous 505

Bradbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bradbury Mortgages