Legal advice from those who have been...

Legal advice from those who have been there, please.

Posted in the Bracktown Forum

Sick of it

Lexington, KY

#1 Mar 3, 2013
I am single, broke, and separated from a man who is a total dead beat. I am also too broke to pay for a divorce. I work all I can. He does not. He will not help me financially and I am too broke to go a legal route to get things lined up properly. I'm sick of being done this way. While I suffer and work to make ends meet, he parties like a young boy. What can I do?
Confusing at best

United States

#3 Mar 3, 2013
Sick of it wrote:
I am single, broke, and separated from a man who is a total dead beat. I am also too broke to pay for a divorce. I work all I can. He does not. He will not help me financially and I am too broke to go a legal route to get things lined up properly. I'm sick of being done this way. While I suffer and work to make ends meet, he parties like a young boy. What can I do?
1. You are single but want a divorce?
2. You work but have no money?
3. He does not work but has money to party all the time?
4. Are there any kids?
5. For kids you can get support, If you are married to him you can get
maintenance only if you are disabled.
6. You can go online to get a simple (uncontested) divorce with no
lawyer. Just pay legal fee of 175.00. The courthouse will explain.
He is liable for half the fee.
7. You didn't go into detail enough for advice. Clarify it more.
8. Whatever happens you need to dump him asap. No tears.
Lovely

Lexington, KY

#4 Mar 3, 2013
1) Single, as in living alone, he left months ago
2) Every dime I have goes gas money and bills. I don't make much
3) He has not worked at all, but admits to smoking weed. I have no idea how.
4)There are kids
5)I don't want any for myself. I need financial help for things concerning the kids. He doesn't think he should have to pay anything.
6)I could probably afford the 175.00. I have looked online bu will look more.
7) I am not going into very much detail to protect my identity.
8) Thank you for the advice thus far.
whoa 1

London, KY

#5 Mar 3, 2013
Lovely wrote:
1) Single, as in living alone, he left months ago
2) Every dime I have goes gas money and bills. I don't make much
3) He has not worked at all, but admits to smoking weed. I have no idea how.
4)There are kids
5)I don't want any for myself. I need financial help for things concerning the kids. He doesn't think he should have to pay anything.
6)I could probably afford the 175.00. I have looked online bu will look more.
7) I am not going into very much detail to protect my identity.
8) Thank you for the advice thus far.
I don't really know but there might be public attorney's that can help you with a divorce? you might ask for some type of welfare assistance.

“"No Sleep, 'til Brooklyn!"”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#6 Mar 3, 2013
You might contact the food stamp office. I can't remember the actual name of the office, but they deal with more than just food stamps. They may be able to point you towards some resources to help out.
Try This

Russell Springs, KY

#7 Mar 4, 2013
IF you have children, Appalred will handle your divorce if you qualify financially, which I think you will. It is slow but I don't think your speedy husband is going anywhere quick anyway.

How do you get help from Appalred Legal Aid? Call the Central Intake and advice line at 1-866-277-5733 for screening.

http://www.ardfky.org/Default.aspx

Services
The Appalachian Research and Defense Fund of Kentucky, Inc (AppalReD) provides free legal help for people and groups who cannot afford a private attorney.
Fight Foreclosure and Unfair Home Loans
Social Security and SSI
Unemployment Compensation
Tenant-Landlord Disputes
Fight Evictions
Public Housing
KTAP/Food Stamps
Medicare/Medicaid
Disability Rights
Bankruptcy
Consumer Protection
Family Law
Employment Discrimination
School/Education
Senior Citizens Rights
Civil Rights
Tax Problems
Kitty

United States

#8 Mar 4, 2013
Does this program merely advise you or do they actually represent you in court. That's the way legal aid operated. Was said to advise but not go to court with you.
Lovely

London, KY

#9 Mar 4, 2013
Thank you all so very much. This is certainly the information I was looking for, although I do feel a bit defeated having to apply for assistance.

“"No Sleep, 'til Brooklyn!"”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10 Mar 4, 2013
Lovely wrote:
Thank you all so very much. This is certainly the information I was looking for, although I do feel a bit defeated having to apply for assistance.
Don't feel too bad, it's what you pay taxes for. Without this kind of assistance many people would never get anywhere in life. No worries.
:-D
legal aid

Perryville, AR

#11 Mar 6, 2013
call appalred in somerset ky hey will file ur divorce free
hello

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 Mar 7, 2013
Kitty wrote:
Does this program merely advise you or do they actually represent you in court. That's the way legal aid operated. Was said to advise but not go to court with you.
they will represent you but you will get screwed go thru Bethany house
jojo

East Bernstadt, KY

#14 Mar 8, 2013
Also go to child support office, fill out application and file for chld support....
roma tom

Manchester, KY

#15 Mar 23, 2013
jojo wrote:
Also go to child support office, fill out application and file for chld support....
yeah i think the food stamp office does that. when people sign up for asstance they file for child support. Its a state program...
Lovely

London, KY

#16 Mar 25, 2013
roma tom wrote:
<quoted text>yeah i think the food stamp office does that. when people sign up for asstance they file for child support. Its a state program...
Seems that it's only if you apply for Ktap that they automatically file for child support..or did someone else have a different experience?
I didn't apply for Ktap, and I'm not sure I will need to do that. But they didn't automatically file for child support when I filed for stamps and medical...maybe it's because my divorce isn't legal yet..IDK. But I did talk to one girl who left her husband, filed for child support from him and got it quickly. No court, no divorce, nothing legal. That makes no sense to me..
yes

Manchester, KY

#17 Mar 25, 2013
they hit my ex husband for child support when i signed up for stamps, maybe it depends on the case worker. some help some dont......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bracktown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clinton money laundering 3 min Chika BowWow 1
Flight Records Disprove Trump's Claim About 'Pe... 6 min UnPolitically Cor... 5
whats it like to give another guy head (Feb '15) 6 min rick 19
News AG Beshear Releases Video Update On Pension Law... 12 min in house swamp 2
Melania 25 min That is scumbag UPC 8
Has Trump locked Hillary up yet? 26 min That is scumbag UPC 16
Angel spurlock 56 min 1209abc 1

Bracktown Jobs

Personal Finance

Bracktown Mortgages