United States

#21 Mar 3, 2008
Hey Bob Hope!

Your last 2 paragraphs are bull$h*t!!!
Constitution

Collinsville, VA

#22 Mar 14, 2008
Bob Hope wrote:
I believe the present way our local government is set provides the citizens with a checks and balance system. If the Sheriff was governed by the board of supervisors as a police chief is controls by a city counsel or the state police is controlled by the Governor then that would take one of the branches out of our local government. As it is now there are three branches, the executive branch (the sheriff), the judicial branch (the courts Judges), and the legislative ( the board of supervisors).
No one branch has total control. The sheriff enforces the law, the judge interprets and make judgement, and the board makes the county laws.
When a county take primary law enforcement from the sheriff and forms a county police the chief answers to the board. you have given the board 2/3 of the power.
For example, if the board of supervisors passed a county ordnance that was totally unfair to the people of the county the sheriff could protect the citizens by not enforcing the code and the board could not make him. On the other hand the county police chief could face loosing his job if he didn't enforce the unfair law. The board could fire and hire until they found a chief that would. Now I know that is far fetched but I hope you see my point.
Sheriff's are elected by the people. When you say a sheriff should not have so much power you are saying the people don't have enough sense to select someone to protect them.
The Office of any Constitutional Office is set up the same way. We elect the person to hold that office and choose who works for them. The system does not allow for, we the citizens, to micro manage the day to day operations. If the sheriff does not want you working for him or her then you are let go. Those are his decisions to make.
When it is time to elect again in four years I hope we look at the job that has been done by the Sheriff and his deputies and not at who he fired or hired for our decision.
If the present Sheriff does not do a good job during these four years and someone runs that can do better, then we need to elect a new Sheriff. But if the Sheriff's Office continues to do a good job as they have under the leadership of Sheriff Fox then he should be elected again.
Just WHAT PLANET do you live on? If the BOS makes a code which the public doesn't like then the SHERIFF is bound by law to enforce it!!! Same as any Chief of Police. In addition if the BOS passes an unfavorable code section them the ENTIRE county can vote them out of office. Now as to lets look at the job the Sheriff is doing. I have yet to see a drug dealer arrested or sentenced to jail since his election. Oh I forgot there may have been some pleas in the pipeline. BUT HEY if ya want to see just how the Sheriff is doing a good job, just drop by the South-side Drug Task Force office and check out just what those guys are up to. Oh don't forget to check the web pages visited on each computer, real surprise there for you..
silent angel

Dillwyn, VA

#23 Mar 14, 2008
If the President is doing some thing unlawful, Congress or the Senate jumps in along with many other people that is advisors, to try and ensure that the job is being done correctly. When a Sheriff does something wrong no one jumps in to ensure that the job is done correctly.
I am not talking about what happened in Mecklenburg County. The officers in that County may be happy that they are out of the rumor mills that caused them to loss their job.
I am talking about all the wrong that goes on in most departments with in this state and others.
So fare no one has said if they feel that the Sheriff should have this type of power. Just what is covered under general and common law? Does any one have the ability to answer this question?
Do you feel that a Sheriff should not have to answer to any one except at election time? Remember the law is not the question. This question can only be answered from with in yourself.
Do you want your county to be protected by some one that is never questioned, is not required to answer question except at election time.
I do like the fact that my bosses have to answer to some one all year round, not just every four years. I like the fact that my boss does not have control of over everything, so if he is doing some thing that is not above board, some one will hopefully find out, not turn theirs heads the other way.
The fact that we have a handbook that does not change every four years in order to make one person happy. That we have a human resource officer, that protects the employer plus the employees, thus keeping the line of communication open and fare.
WhatTaskForce

United States

#24 Mar 19, 2008
Constitution wrote:
<quoted text>
Just WHAT PLANET do you live on? If the BOS makes a code which the public doesn't like then the SHERIFF is bound by law to enforce it!!! Same as any Chief of Police. In addition if the BOS passes an unfavorable code section them the ENTIRE county can vote them out of office. Now as to lets look at the job the Sheriff is doing. I have yet to see a drug dealer arrested or sentenced to jail since his election. Oh I forgot there may have been some pleas in the pipeline. BUT HEY if ya want to see just how the Sheriff is doing a good job, just drop by the South-side Drug Task Force office and check out just what those guys are up to. Oh don't forget to check the web pages visited on each computer, real surprise there for you..
We all know what they do over there. NOTHING but play solitaire on the computer and visit websites that they shouldn't be visiting; if you know what I mean. Of course, look at their leader at the task force - worthless. I hope they indict him for that school board crap he pulled.
Snoopy

South Boston, VA

#25 Apr 5, 2008
silent angel
The system has worked for over 200 years.
Let's say you are right and the Sheriff should have a boss. Who would that be and who would their boss be? And who would the bosses boss be.
It has to stop some where. In our government it stops at the citizens when it's a constitutional officer. "We The People"
NoFreakinWay

Collinsville, VA

#26 Apr 6, 2008
Exactly right Snoopy. Everyone had their chance in November. Now you have what you have and in November of 2011 you CAN CHANGE IT.
Snoopy

United States

#27 Apr 14, 2008
NoFreakinWay wrote:
Exactly right Snoopy. Everyone had their chance in November. Now you have what you have and in November of 2011 you CAN CHANGE IT.
I like who we have for a Sheriff and his Deputies.
silent angel

Dillwyn, VA

#28 Apr 25, 2008
I personnel feel that the state should have some say in how our departments are ran. The FBI and the state police can investigate a sheriffs department, but both of these groups have many other things on their plates.
I feel that a committee of officers from each area of law enforcement would work as a better deterrent in helping our elected officers to remain on the straight and narrow. They would investigate allocations against the departments, do surprise visit, and set up a department code that all departments in the state would have to follow. Not allowing each sheriff every four years the right it change things to suit them selves with out taking the whole department into consideration. It is very hard for a person to step back and look at what is good for every one; most will look at what is good for them selves.
An example would be the sheriff wants the next sheriff to be whom he says, because they are buddies. He hears of a good officer that would like to run for sheriff one day. So he fires that officer because he knows that that man would do a good job. This will help keep the competition down for his chosen one.
If a sheriff knows that he is being watch by such a board and can be investigated at any one time on a random chance it might limit the number of sheriffs that feel they are above the law.
This would also help the deputies to feel a little secure in their job. Knowing that there is a board that will help to look out for their interest and the counties.
People are too dishonest in today’s world. Every one is out for them selves and most are unable to have a clear and open mind.
These women and men take on a job knowing that their lives are on the line every day that they are at work. Plus the possibility that some one could come after them when not at work. The sheriff gets the credit for what every one of the officers does, whether it is good or bad. Yet he is still setting at a desk all day, protected by four walls. We keep asking more and more of our offices and we are not willing to help them. The only time they can hope for change is at election time the rest of the time they are dominated by one man, even when he is wrong.
I do understand that most people feel that a sheriff is never wrong; I personally feel that he is human and is able to make big mistakes the same as every one else on earth.
Ledgen

United States

#29 May 2, 2008
Aw, that is so heart warming. The only problem is that is why the Sheriff is elected. It gives him the control for 4 years. If he does not do right we get to un-elect him the next time.

As for as the deputies, you appear to forget "THEY WORK FOR THE SHERIFF" not the county. They are the Sheriff's "Deputies". Look it up.
DoUhaveAclue

Altavista, VA

#30 May 23, 2008
Snoopy wrote:
<quoted text>
I like who we have for a Sheriff and his Deputies.
I'm sorry for you. You will learn the hard way.
DoUhaveAclue

Altavista, VA

#31 May 23, 2008
silent angel wrote:
I personnel feel that the state should have some say in how our departments are ran. The FBI and the state police can investigate a sheriffs department, but both of these groups have many other things on their plates.
I feel that a committee of officers from each area of law enforcement would work as a better deterrent in helping our elected officers to remain on the straight and narrow. They would investigate allocations against the departments, do surprise visit, and set up a department code that all departments in the state would have to follow. Not allowing each sheriff every four years the right it change things to suit them selves with out taking the whole department into consideration. It is very hard for a person to step back and look at what is good for every one; most will look at what is good for them selves.
An example would be the sheriff wants the next sheriff to be whom he says, because they are buddies. He hears of a good officer that would like to run for sheriff one day. So he fires that officer because he knows that that man would do a good job. This will help keep the competition down for his chosen one.
If a sheriff knows that he is being watch by such a board and can be investigated at any one time on a random chance it might limit the number of sheriffs that feel they are above the law.
This would also help the deputies to feel a little secure in their job. Knowing that there is a board that will help to look out for their interest and the counties.
People are too dishonest in today’s world. Every one is out for them selves and most are unable to have a clear and open mind.
These women and men take on a job knowing that their lives are on the line every day that they are at work. Plus the possibility that some one could come after them when not at work. The sheriff gets the credit for what every one of the officers does, whether it is good or bad. Yet he is still setting at a desk all day, protected by four walls. We keep asking more and more of our offices and we are not willing to help them. The only time they can hope for change is at election time the rest of the time they are dominated by one man, even when he is wrong.
I do understand that most people feel that a sheriff is never wrong; I personally feel that he is human and is able to make big mistakes the same as every one else on earth.
I'm not sure what planet you are from but I gotta tell you, you have absolutely no freakin clue.
silent angel

Crewe, VA

#32 Jun 22, 2008
I have more of a clue than you realize.
Try looking up crooked Sheriffs and see what you find. The stores are amazing. Because no one over a sheriff, they do what ever they wont. The county politicians are scared to stand up to them. Every day people prefer to not know what is going on unless it touches him or her personally.
How many Sheriff departments, have strong guidelines, that every member must follow all the time. Most have guidelines for some and a chosen few can do what ever they want.
How many Sheriffs, show strong favoritism to a chosen few and forget that all the men under him help to make him look good or bad.
How many of them waste grant money for items that are not needed. Just because the grant is there does not mean that it is needed. The grant money comes from every one that pays taxes in county, state and federal.
Mecklenburg Lifer

Bracey, VA

#33 Jul 27, 2009
That's a tall glass pedistal you are sitting on "Not so Silent Angel"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bracey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sabrina Humple (Feb '14) Dec '14 Tommi Bower 2
s&s bbq (Sep '11) Nov '14 bulk 5
What do you need to get a carfax report? (Dec '13) Nov '14 Caren 3
How to cancel my free lotto account? (Nov '13) Oct '14 Josh Bourque 3
Place to rent Oct '14 keshia 1
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Bracey, VA (May '12) Sep '14 CallieFoster210 3
pedophile (Oct '13) Oct '13 Ben Forevergone 1
Bracey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web