First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Confused Parent

United States

#1 Oct 31, 2012
I went to work today dressed up for the day, stop by the store and caahiers were dressed up in cute costumes, had to make a deposit for work and the banker was dressed up as a clown. But I had to tell my second grader she couldn't wear her costume today but when she gets to be a big kid and works a job (as long as Mrs. Bauer isnt her boss) she will get too.
Mrs. Bauer said oh we get Fun Fair here at RCIS...SO WHAT TAKE IT AWAY. Let the kids do it the old fashion way. Secretary in the office acts like she likes it that way by saying it is better this way as she has pictures of her kids in costumes. Too bad we don't vote for Mrs. Bauer job she wouldn't have my vote she has trouble with kids wanting to be kids she just is too old minded for the job she doesn't like any of the fun days everything is serious to her. Kids need time to just be kids.
Yeah for Halloween

Braidwood, IL

#2 Oct 31, 2012
Sorry you feel this way. Hope you had fun! This is an old arguement in schools though. I was raised Catholic and we didn't wear costumes to school ever. BTW I wasn't psycologically scarred by it :)
My children went to public school, Reed Custer, and for the first four years they not only were able to wear their costumes,we parents were invited to the gym for a costume parade. Unfortunately it was the parents who couldn't follow the rules. No weapons in school means NO weapons in school not even for Halloween as part of a costume. When the weapons were removed the parents had three kinds of fits. Also some parents who were Wicca, or maybe pretended to be, complained that pictures of witches misrepresented and maligned their faith. Your kid is only gonna be upset if you share your feelings with her. I'll bet there are alot of rules she won't want to follow in the coming years.
Confused Parent

Chicago, IL

#3 Oct 31, 2012
Really my child came home and was upset because some of the teachers let the kids have parties today and her class didn't because no parents sent any treats in. Really if I would of know I would of sent treats in.
Plus how do our surrounding districts figure out how to control there parents? They just didn't do a way with Halloween because a few parents didn't follow the rules. So when a few parent don't follow other rules are we just going to start doing away with other things as well?
Just Wondering?
Oh fun thing some of the High School kids were dressed up!!!!!
Too Bad

Wilmington, IL

#4 Nov 1, 2012
At first, my kids were kind of bummed about not being able to wear costumes for Halloween at the Intermediate school, coming from the Primary school, where they wear costumes, and have parades and parties, it was quite a switch. BUT,now they get to have a Fun Fair, which they love, and lots of work goes into the Fair. After school they get to put their costumes on and go trick or treating, so they are quite happy. Hopefully your child will learn to love the fun fair, and appreciate the work and volunteering that goes into it. Maybe ask your teacher why you weren't informed about bringing treats in. Sometimes they ask @ conference time to volunteer for the parties, bring treats, etc.
mine either

Wilmington, IL

#5 Nov 1, 2012
Too Bad wrote:
At first, my kids were kind of bummed about not being able to wear costumes for Halloween at the Intermediate school, coming from the Primary school, where they wear costumes, and have parades and parties, it was quite a switch. BUT,now they get to have a Fun Fair, which they love, and lots of work goes into the Fair. After school they get to put their costumes on and go trick or treating, so they are quite happy. Hopefully your child will learn to love the fun fair, and appreciate the work and volunteering that goes into it. Maybe ask your teacher why you weren't informed about bringing treats in. Sometimes they ask @ conference time to volunteer for the parties, bring treats, etc.
My childs class didn't have a party either. Some treats were brought in but we weren't asked to do so. We know and understand what work goes into fun Fair but it isnt the same as wearing your costume to school and sharing treats with the kids. It is also unfair that some teacher allow treats to be handed out and some don't. I agree with RCIS Hates Halloween other school figure out how to control the day and not ruin it for others. Maybe Mrs. Bauer needs to sit under RCPS Mrs. Kunz and let her show her how it is done she seems to handle her school well.I never felt bad at her for saying no weapons, no blood and school dress code will be inforced no question!! Maybe it takes a Dr. to know how to handle that kind of things. Might have to put a little work into something which with Mrs. Bauer doesnt seem to like to do that is why we have Fun Fair because Forces does all the work but she gets all the credit!!
Join the club 5th grade

Wilmington, IL

#6 Nov 1, 2012
Confused Parent wrote:
Really my child came home and was upset because some of the teachers let the kids have parties today and her class didn't because no parents sent any treats in. Really if I would of know I would of sent treats in.
Plus how do our surrounding districts figure out how to control there parents? They just didn't do a way with Halloween because a few parents didn't follow the rules. So when a few parent don't follow other rules are we just going to start doing away with other things as well?
Just Wondering?
Oh fun thing some of the High School kids were dressed up!!!!!
My childs class had a party and a movie. But said they didn't get a very long time for Fun Fair!! Get use to it Mrs. Bauer will put a wet blanket on any fun thing for the kids.she never will change
tom

Broadview, IL

#7 Nov 1, 2012
just wait til you find out bauer is lesbian!just like mr steinecker got married as soon as the law was passed.
differnces

United States

#8 Nov 2, 2012
tom wrote:
just wait til you find out bauer is lesbian!just like mr steinecker got married as soon as the law was passed.
Wow not sure how you jumped to that conclusion don't think I'll join you. I can say that Mrs. Bauer is a wet blanket when it comes to the kids and fun mixing in or at school. Really think she and the High school principle should change places. He is awesome at making the high school a great place to be. The high school is a great place with lots and lots of fun hands on learning... So hold on it will get better after RCIS!!!!

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#9 Nov 3, 2012
Ahhhh Now you've hit on my favorite topic. RCIS is a PUBLIC school NOT a CATHOLIC school. It's not any kind of religion. However, Halloween is a publicly recognized day that, though it may have had some roots in a religious protest, has evolved into a fun day for kids. Go to any of the other surrounding school districts, K through 5th grade parades not only around the school but around the town. I've been around for a long time and I've seen it all. The trouble at RCIS isn't religion or sensitivity, it's a lazy old battle ax who likes to be IN CONTROL. She doesn't allow any kind or parties in her school. She has a problem with the kids having a fun day controlled by somebody besides her. Some of the tenured teachers renegade parties into their classroom but it has be kept quiet. She allows fun fair because she can CONTROL it. But Fun Fair isn't what it used to be. It was started by a group of parents called Forces, who was protesting the fact that there wasn't classroom parties. They were very passionate and ambitious, they made carnival like games and each kid was given a chance to win a prize for each game. The parents that do it now have not passion for it. They just go through the motions. The time per class is short and then it's march like little prisoners back to your cell. I don't like RCIS Robin Baur has control issues and she proves it with the way she runs that building.
just s

United States

#10 Nov 4, 2012
the fun fair has been going on for the past 10yrs, maybe more...this is nothing new. Their have not been Halloween parties for the past 10 yrs. Get use to it people...quit your b*tchin. if your child comes home whining and complaining because they can't wear their costume to school for 1 day then they need a lesson in life. Get over it!
tom

Broadview, IL

#11 Nov 4, 2012
just saying has no life but knows everything on here.1st use your real name, then worry about your own kids. my kids are both top students and yes i may have done somethings wrong in life but my kids have respect for me and every adult out there.school church even the funeral home tell me and my wife we have the best behaving kids they have ever seen.life sucks ask kira and tonya.and the city of braidwood is great just not the people running it.mayor chief fire department brc school etc. get used to it or get involved.
Jen

Des Plaines, IL

#12 Nov 4, 2012
I agree the fun fair is dif than it used to b when I was a kid it was so much fun n we were always excited when it was that time of year. The school and teachers made a big deal about now its lame as hell only a few games no prizes n it a very short time for the kids. Our children are only little once let them enjoy being a child
just s

United States

#13 Nov 5, 2012
tom wrote:
just saying has no life but knows everything on here.1st use your real name, then worry about your own kids. my kids are both top students and yes i may have done somethings wrong in life but my kids have respect for me and every adult out there.school church even the funeral home tell me and my wife we have the best behaving kids they have ever seen.life sucks ask kira and tonya.and the city of braidwood is great just not the people running it.mayor chief fire department brc school etc. get used to it or get involved.
I'm not sure if you are referring to me or not, cause my name is not "just saying", however their is no name on here of that.
First of all, i never said anything in reference to your kids, or how you raise them, or the mistakes you have made in your life. I never said i know everything on here so I don't know where you get that impression. I don't know who the hell Kira and Tonya are because I don't spend my days and nights on Topix getting to know people. And i don't know how the mayor and fire chief got brought into this conversation. And I can use what ever name I want to. Who's to say that Tom is your real name?...just goes to show you how things can get OFF topic on this site.
Change

Wilmington, IL

#14 Nov 8, 2012
Isnt that what Obama got elected on in the frist place? I can't agree more that we need change in the school system. Teachers shouldn't be allowed to relax after they have been there an amount of time. I can't say halloween would be my hill to start a fight on but I do agree that kids only have one chance at being a kid we tell them and force them to grow up way too fast. I do feel Mrs. Bauer has taken alot away from the children that I not only heard but seen other schools still give.I guess we can be glad she only has them for four years. Maybe we can hope things change!!!
i am a mom

Roselle, IL

#15 Nov 11, 2012
i am a mom of a child who goes to the RCIS and well, my child got to dress up for halloween and do the outside walk they did for parents, but came home with only a sucker! when i asked what they did party wise, nothing! they had snack and did normal day stuff. i think they should of had a party. i know i signed up to bring stuff in and did. but why didnt other parents? every parent should have to bring something in. i dont care how broke you are, your children and schooling come first and even if its for a holiday party! a two dollar bag of candy would of been nice for each student to bring in and pass around. kids love holidays and well, the school seems to be taking it away. NOT GOOD IN MY BOOK! i want my child to grow up having fun, and learning about ALL holidays! we pay for our kids to go to school and well they are not doing anything they use to do! braidwood really needs to get with the program!
Dick

Coal City, IL

#16 Nov 12, 2012
I am a mom:
If you signed up to bring in treats, you should have brought them in. Dont sign up for something your not going to do, and dont get on here b!tching your kids didnt get treats. You where susposed to bring them, remember, moron?
FYI

Wilmington, IL

#17 Nov 12, 2012
Dick wrote:
I am a mom:
If you signed up to bring in treats, you should have brought them in. Dont sign up for something your not going to do, and dont get on here b!tching your kids didnt get treats. You where susposed to bring them, remember, moron?
she said she DID. looks like YOU'RE THE MORON!!!!!!!!!!
i am a mom

Roselle, IL

#18 Nov 12, 2012
Dick wrote:
I am a mom:
HOW ABOUT READ WHAT I WROTE!! WHO IS THE MORON NOW? i brought in what i signed up for, I DID MY JOB AS A PARENT TO MY CHILD. NON LIKE SOME PEOPLE.

IF YOU CAN NOT TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS, DONT HAVE THEM!
FYI

Manito, IL

#19 Dec 6, 2012
If you are going to slam mrs. Bauer maybe you should take some time to get to know her and ask her the facts.. Fact is she is not the one who made decision for kids not to dress up for Halloween at school.. Happy dad have you ever gone to fun fair??? The kids love it!! What do you know about the ladies who put it together how do you know how hard they work on it??? Maybe you should all spend a little of your time at school and volunteer before you start slamming people before you start making assumptions about people and what goes on..

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#20 Dec 6, 2012
FYI wrote:
If you are going to slam mrs. Bauer maybe you should take some time to get to know her and ask her the facts.. Fact is she is not the one who made decision for kids not to dress up for Halloween at school.. Happy dad have you ever gone to fun fair??? The kids love it!! What do you know about the ladies who put it together how do you know how hard they work on it??? Maybe you should all spend a little of your time at school and volunteer before you start slamming people before you start making assumptions about people and what goes on..
So there. LOL

Actually I'm not new to the district. I'm not new to RCIS, I'm not new to Mrs Bauer and I'm not new to Fun Fair, I'm not new to Forces. I've had 5 kids come through and I've been there done that. I was there when fun fair was actually fun and took some planning to pull off. I worked it, I talked to Mrs. Bauer and got her view point. The original decision to cut out costumes and Halloween parties or any parties at RCIS was ultimately Robin Bauer's she can name any superintendent and tell stories inappropriate costumes and religious controversy if she wants but the fact remains that RCIS is only on of the four schools in the district and the other three do wear costumes and have at least some sort of classroom parties on Halloween. So like it or not and no matter how much she or you deny it this is her rule. Fun fair is great and like I said I have participated and the kids have and do enjoy it. But their time is very limited. Robin acts like it's an imposition and she can only allow a small amount of time for the fun then it's back to business. These are grade schoolers. If a teacher plans a party and she gets wind of it she sends out a "snap" saying basically, "don't you dare". A few of the tenured teachers choose to have a party in spite of her, leaving the rest of the students feeling left out. In my opinion this isn't bad teachers, this is a bad leader who chooses to go against the status quo when it's silly and frivolous. My original post wasn't "slamming" Robin Bauer, but it was criticizing which I have every right to do. And my criticism of all of this isn't uninformed, just a different opinion than yours. And that's ok. That's what topix is all about. Welcome. Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Braceville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
With a capital Snedecker? 6 hr Carbon hill resid... 13
Owner Rachetti's paying managers under the table 7 hr cc guy 9
Most hated cop in town (Apr '08) 16 hr I deserved it 72
metra schedules special stop on 4-8-2015 in fro... 21 hr hilarious 4
And the Winner Is!!! 21 hr to be or not to be 2
Coal City Library 23 hr Taxpayer 1
Mayor, Chief, Deputy Chief Wed Chicago Guy 5
Braceville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web