Heat Prompts Several Schools To Send Students Home Early - Regional News - Berks Story - WFMZ All...

Full story: WFMZ

The excessive temperatures in the forecast have forced more schools to dismiss their students early Wednesday and Thursday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 115 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2011
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
joe smoe

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Seriously... What are we raising today ? the next generartion of sissy's.. So when they grow up and have to go to work.. Do they get to go home early as well.. Im sure the 2 more hours of school was gonna be impossible to make it through..
What a bunch of crap ! And to think a news station would even waste time reporting on it..
hear this

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Shut up you cranky old bat.
It was 97 in my kids class. She is 6 and her face was beat red.It was not 2 more hours of school it was almost 4 hours for the elementary. So maybe they are not as tough as you. Maybe the heat won't fry their brain like it has yours.
It is not a joke . Extreme heat can be dangerous.What is it going to take for you to understand? A fatality?
yeah

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

I agree, my husband has to work outside in the sun in this - think they would like it if he said it was too hot and he wanted to go home early?
Seriously, they are inside, how bad can it be?
southpark69

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

35 years ago and more we roasted our nuts off. Did anyone care? Hell NO.

You are right a bunch of whinny sissy's.
IDIOTS

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Note to all you jack@$$e$...100 degree classroom temps are not safe...get your head out of your A$$.
teacher

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

My district is one of those that dismissed the students, and just the students, early today. No, the kids are not sissies. There is just a heat index of 100 degrees INSIDE where very little air circulates... an open invitation for heat exhaustion. Many of our children already have compromised health, so better safe than sorry. And really, who cares NOW about how you roasted 35 years ago?? Probably still no one!!!
New Fashioned

Northampton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

The ethnic majority of Allentown hails from a tropical region. They should be well adapted to the warm weather. You goofballs believe in evolution, riiiiight?
mjk2

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

teacher wrote:
My district is one of those that dismissed the students, and just the students, early today. No, the kids are not sissies. There is just a heat index of 100 degrees INSIDE where very little air circulates... an open invitation for heat exhaustion. Many of our children already have compromised health, so better safe than sorry. And really, who cares NOW about how you roasted 35 years ago?? Probably still no one!!!
Will the kids have to make the days up?
crankyoldbat

Auburn, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

If it's unsafe to be inside with temp at 97-100 Please tell my boss, I have no ac and my office doesn't even have a window that opens it must be 100-105 in here, but I bought a fan in so I'm lucky I guess, the guys working on the trucks in the sun outside I feel for them. My boss says if I leave it's a 3 day suspension without pay. I guess I should of been a teacher I'd make more than $10.00 hr. nice chatting good day.
jen h

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Some of you are just down right sickos! Why would you use some of that language?! Also, did you forget that we are talking about children?! Sure, I never had early dismissals growing up for heat but times have changes and I'm sure the schools did it to keep the kids safe. Get over yourselves...and clean up your mouths!!!
Wadsworth

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

crankyoldbat wrote:
If it's unsafe to be inside with temp at 97-100 Please tell my boss, I have no ac and my office doesn't even have a window that opens it must be 100-105 in here, but I bought a fan in so I'm lucky I guess, the guys working on the trucks in the sun outside I feel for them. My boss says if I leave it's a 3 day suspension without pay. I guess I should of been a teacher I'd make more than $10.00 hr. nice chatting good day.
Had you been a teacher, you'd no doubt understand the concept of "should HAVE, would HAVE, could HAVE", instead of that annoying, incorrect "should OF".

That being said, sux to be you I guess. But just because you chose a dead end job due to lack of education, doesn't mean everyone else (read elementary school children) has to suffer also.
Future not so bright

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Maybe if Schools wouldn't close down for an inch of snow during the winter maybe they would be done with School by the end of May and this would be a non-issue.
Tmw

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

IDIOTS wrote:
Note to all you jack **** e$...100 degree classroom temps are not safe...get your head out of your ****.
and we surived it when we were there age didn't we? where was the parental outrage then?
Richard Coleman

Pittston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

When I attended schools in Easton 50 years ago we did not get off for heat at all and for snow only rarely.
Local

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

southpark69 wrote:
35 years ago and more we roasted our nuts off. Did anyone care? Hell NO.
You are right a bunch of whinny sissy's.
35 years ago, school was already over by this date, maybe the 10th if there were snow days.
Local

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

crankyoldbat wrote:
Adults can tolerate the heat much better than young kids.
Stewie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Open the windows,, open the doors, add a fan, and turn out the lights. That's how we were treated as elementary students in the 70's. And, we were lucky to get a fan :)
IDIOTS wrote:
Note to all you jack **** e$...100 degree classroom temps are not safe...get your head out of your ****.
smiley

Tamaqua, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Welll maybe they should design the classrooms with big ole ceiling fans.
Between the windows opening wide and those fans I cant recall ever suffering from the heat.
smiley

Tamaqua, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Local wrote:
<quoted text>35 years ago, school was already over by this date, maybe the 10th if there were snow days.
Yea and whats your point? Temperatures can and do change. Alot of summers can be cooler than others.

The reason the kids had off so many snow days is the same reason they have off today-some whacko making the call!

Maybe they should try designing schools with trees planted close to the bldg, to porvide some shade and cool play areas for recess.

It use to be done that way yrs ago and guess what it worked!
Mandy

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

joe smoe wrote:
Seriously... What are we raising today ? the next generartion of sissy's.. So when they grow up and have to go to work.. Do they get to go home early as well.. Im sure the 2 more hours of school was gonna be impossible to make it through..
What a bunch of crap ! And to think a news station would even waste time reporting on it..
I agree! What wimpy children or should I say wimpy adults. They can't stand outside for the bus when it's cold, now it's too hot. They can't go to school if it snows or might snow. This generation of parents are f"cking kids up by making them wimpy, allergic to everything, can't spank, don't obey the law generation!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Boyertown Discussions

Search the Boyertown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 18 hr Joe McCarthy 51,272
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 20 hr But Not Hussein O... 3,898
John peter carmello 3rd Aug 3 just wondering 2
Attention Children of the 90's Who Grew Up in P... Jul 29 ttb1112 1
Moving to Pottstown? Schools? (Mar '07) Jul '14 Janine 19
Pagans and Wheels of Soul fight Jun '14 what2know 1
Help a local family and an awesome new local ch... Jun '14 Chris Larkin 2
•••
•••

Boyertown News Video

•••
•••

Boyertown Jobs

•••