Lake Country "PREMIUM" gas.

Posted in the Boydton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tapped Out

United States

#1 Jun 7, 2011
I was in NC the other day and noticed the price of gas is dropping at a steady pace.
Usually we here in VA have about 10 cents lower price per gallon.

Well at a gas station in Henderson the price was $3.54 while here in Lake Country, Uppy's, etc. it is $3.78.

Now that is bad enough but according to the sticker on the Henderson's station pumps NC has a 30 cents per gallon state tax and VA has an 17 cent state gas tax.

I just did an online search an according to that it is currently 32.5 versus 17.5.

Now like I said, usually we in VA are below NC about 10 cents a gallon but now we all of a sudden are averaging 20 plus cents not even accounting for the 15 cents in lower state tax!?!?!?

So what is it?
Since we are a "tourist" attraction (Lake Country) we gouge with high gas prices?

I can't think of any other reason unless it's just pure greed......

I won't be buying gas around here if the retailers have that type of mentality.

They can keep there Lake Country "PREMIUM" gas!
Tapped Out

United States

#2 Jun 12, 2011
I saw another person noticed the differences in gas prices including taxes and wrote of it in the "Sun" paper.

A friend filled up in Henderson for $3.49 Friday while the lowest gas I have seen in VA is at Longview at the line at $3.63.

14 cents higher and we have a 15 cents lower state gas tax per gallon.

Something smells in Lake Country and I think it is greed.

Maybe a gouging report should be sent in to those that might be concerned.
Tapped Out

United States

#3 Jun 14, 2011
Gas now $3.45 in South Boston.$3.49 in Henderson.
$3.54 in Oxford.$3.50 in South Hill.
All around us there are lower prices including in higher taxed NC.

Gouging pure and simple because of our "tourist" town.

Unless someone can come up with a reasonable answer?
Tapped Out

United States

#4 Jun 17, 2011
So finally gas has dropped to the mid $3.50s here in Lake Country.
That was a big drop for them.
I wonder if the gentleman's editorial struck a nerve?
Tapped Out

United States

#5 Jun 25, 2011
Filled up for $3.45 in Henderson Thursday.
Gas in Clarksville is $3.54.
Clarksville's gas is still 11 cets higher even with Virginia's 15 cents a gallon less gas tax than North Carolina's.

So it could be around $3.30 if priced fairly.
I filled up last weekend in Danville for $3.39.

I would take that price over $3.54 any day of the week.

Clarksville's gas stations = G-R-E-E-D.

Gouging seems to be alive and well in Lake Country because of it's "tourist" status.
Tapped Out

United States

#6 Jun 26, 2011
Saw gas today about 20 miles west of Amelia on 360 at $3.39.

SO that's north, south, west,and I don't know what gas is in South Hill. I bet it's lower than Clarksville.

Ahem..... Time to wake up people.

We here in lake country are being taken to the cleaners.
5 and dime

Clarksville, VA

#7 Nov 25, 2011
I guess no one else cares about the lake country premium gas.

Went through Henderson Thursday.
$3.23
Here at wonderful lakecountry in Clarksville,
$3.35

And Va has considerable more gas tax.......

IN Danville it's $3.09,$3.03 at Sam's.

IN South Boston it's $3.19

IN South Hill I heard it was around $3.05.

And again it is $3.35 or .39 at both Uppy's.
Thank you so much Clarksville and Lake Country and Uppy's for ripping your own citizens off.
And you have the nerve to think we should shop locally. Yeah right..........
5 and dime

Clarksville, VA

#8 Dec 4, 2011
Sorry, VA has considerable LESS gas tax than NC yet our gas in LAKE COUNTRY otherwise known as Clarksville is about the same as NC.

Since Clarksville has only two places that sell gas I'd say that is a monopoly.
a VERY concerned citizen

Clarksville, VA

#9 Apr 12, 2012
Very glad that the old store out by the airport has opened up. Gas there has been about 10 cents less than uppys.

But still, it is not as low as it should be given that Virginia gas tax is much lower than NC gas tax.

So just what the heck is going on here?????
budda

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Apr 26, 2012
get a new president and the price of gas will go down
Local Resident - CLK

Gloucester, VA

#11 May 15, 2012
Clarksville has a new gas station "Spirit" just south of town on 15 and Burlington Drive. They are selling their gas at a much more reasonable price than Uppy's (and those who follow this chain for pricing).

As a previous employee of convenience stores/gas stations, I can say that taking a daily drive around town to compare prices is common. These prices are often much higher than the daily market values... all because we live in a 'tourist town'.

What people don't realize about this tourist town is that it is ALSO a low income area, as defined by the State of Virginia. Considering that fossil fuel is our main source of consumption (vs. electricity, hydrogen, hybrids, etc.), we're all at the mercy of Big Oil.

I could even understand a compromise of pricing - whereas fuel prices Friday through Sunday should be increased to compliment the tourism. This would give the local population a chance to fill their tanks before the weekend. Then again, that does go against the greed factor, doesn't it?

As stated by the other comments above, our fuel taxes are cheaper than that of NC. Therefore, under almost no circumstances should our retail fuel prices be higher than North Carolina.

But, this is OKAY, because people will keep going to the price gougers.
XYZ

Gloucester, VA

#12 May 17, 2012
Local Resident - CLK wrote:
Clarksville has a new gas station "Spirit" just south of town on 15 and Burlington Drive. They are selling their gas at a much more reasonable price than Uppy's (and those who follow this chain for pricing).
As a previous employee of convenience stores/gas stations, I can say that taking a daily drive around town to compare prices is common. These prices are often much higher than the daily market values... all because we live in a 'tourist town'.
What people don't realize about this tourist town is that it is ALSO a low income area, as defined by the State of Virginia. Considering that fossil fuel is our main source of consumption (vs. electricity, hydrogen, hybrids, etc.), we're all at the mercy of Big Oil.

I could even understand a compromise of pricing - whereas fuel prices Friday through Sunday should be increased to compliment the tourism. This would give the local population a chance to fill their tanks before the weekend. Then again, that does go against the greed factor, doesn't it?
As stated by the other comments above, our fuel taxes are cheaper than that of NC. Therefore, under almost no circumstances should our retail fuel prices be higher than North Carolina.
But, this is OKAY, because people will keep going to the price gougers.
The Spirit Station and convenience store is new and looking to attract customers. Once established you watch their prices go back up to match Uppy's.

As a rule, you will always find lower prices in South Boston (Gas House) or at times South Hill (Raceway) than in Clarksville.
a VERY concerned citizen

Clarksville, VA

#13 May 19, 2012
I talked to the people at the new Spirit station.
They said the owner will not raise gas prices.

Uppys is still higher, gouging the town tourists, fisherman, and hotel visiters.

Uppys will not get one thin dime of my hard earned money.

The store out by the state line has brought his gas prices down in response to the spirit station but you have to go in and pay cash while you can conveniently use your plastic at the Spirit place.

They will be getting my business.
XYZ

Gloucester, VA

#14 May 19, 2012
a VERY concerned citizen wrote:
I talked to the people at the new Spirit station.
They said the owner will not raise gas prices.
Uppys is still higher, gouging the town tourists, fisherman, and hotel visiters.
Uppys will not get one thin dime of my hard earned money.
The store out by the state line has brought his gas prices down in response to the spirit station but you have to go in and pay cash while you can conveniently use your plastic at the Spirit place.
They will be getting my business.
I've used credit at Petrol on 15 but you do have to go inside to pay. Even with Spirit being lower I still buy my gas at the Gas House (under construction at the moment). South Boston is always lower than Clarksville.
a VERY concerned citizen

Clarksville, VA

#15 May 21, 2012
Oh yeah, When I am in So Boston and need gas I get it there too, or at Sheets.
XYZ

Gloucester, VA

#16 Jul 14, 2012
Well it didn't take them long did it?

Spirit Gas prices went UP; now the same as Uppy. Well its back to South Boston. The good thing came to an end just as I predicted.

Did anyone really believe they wouldn't raise their prices? Well they did!
cmon now

Clarksville, VA

#17 Jul 21, 2012
It's more like Uppys came down to them. You can be guaranteed that if the Spirit place were not there Uppys would be as high or higher than the NC prices now.
XYZ

Buffalo Junction, VA

#18 Jul 28, 2012
cmon now wrote:
It's more like Uppys came down to them. You can be guaranteed that if the Spirit place were not there Uppys would be as high or higher than the NC prices now.
They are still higher that S. Hill or definitely S. Boston. The highest are usually the two Exxon stations on 58 east of Clarksville and sure enough Uppy's and Spirit are now on a par with them. So the situation is back to normal. Prices have been raised in Clarksville. Thank you Spirit for confirming that I will be buying gas in S. Boston as usual. It didn't take you long did it?
cmon now

Clarksville, VA

#19 Jul 31, 2012
Not everyone goes to So Bo or So Hill often enough to take advantage of those prices.

Lets be clear yet again. IF the Spirit were not now in Clarksville Uppys would have the local monopoly and gas would be 5 to 10 cents higher.

And again, I said higher than the NC prices, not the So Bo prices.
XYZ

Mathews, VA

#20 Aug 1, 2012
cmon now wrote:
Not everyone goes to So Bo or So Hill often enough to take advantage of those prices.
Lets be clear yet again. IF the Spirit were not now in Clarksville Uppys would have the local monopoly and gas would be 5 to 10 cents higher.
And again, I said higher than the NC prices, not the So Bo prices.
The point that was being raised is that Spirit's lower price is now gone. Once again Clarksville is back up to being the highest price of anyone along the local HWY 58 corridor. They are cashing in just like Uppy's, Triangle and BP. It was all a ploy to get initial business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boydton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lamplighter Restaurant (Jun '12) Nov '14 thought about it 5
Moving Sep '14 puppylove 1
childeren programs in clarksville (Mar '14) Mar '14 mominva 1
Ruff ranks high on gift-taking list (Feb '14) Feb '14 Warren 1
Clarksville doctor making amazing recovery (Dec '07) Jan '14 Mindi Truitt 160
where do i go to get a free background check? (Nov '13) Dec '13 Will 2
How do you look up someone's Work History? (Dec '13) Dec '13 voxovalorehy 2
Boydton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web