is any OB accepting medical card

Posted in the Bowling Green Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bowling Green

North Ridgeville, OH

#1 Apr 22, 2009
is it just me or is it shame that none OB`s or gynecologist are not taking any news patients because all they have is medical card. I called 8 offices today here in BG, and nobody would take a new patient..isn`t this some kind of discrimination or what`s wrong with doctors today..........any suggestion would me helpful and appreciated
redneck-woman

Munfordville, KY

#2 Apr 22, 2009
Can't believe that,I thought people with medical cards were the only ones who could afford to go the doctor.Every time I go to the doc,I hear,do you have your medical card?Thats why there not taken new patients to many,med-card baby's being born,to none working parents.
whatever

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Apr 22, 2009
that does not mean a thing. my husband worked a good job, but we could not afford health insurance and i got a medical card when i was pregnant. there is nothing wrong with getting one. good lord, it would have cost me about $10000 in hospital bills when my son was born.
non medical card person

Alliance, OH

#4 Apr 23, 2009
So what if it cost you $10000 to have a child. If you couldn't afford to pay for it, you shouldn't have it. Also, if it cost $10k, why not PAY THE BILL yourself instead of having the TAXPAYERS like me pay it for you??? You could have made payments, but no, you chose to let the government (aka, my tax dollars) cover the bill for you. People who cannot afford children, should not have them.

I dont' blame MD's for not taking medical card. They get paid only a small portion of their charges. Their malpractice insurance rates are thru the roof due to lawsuit happy idiots and when they only get paid 25% of their charges, they can't afford to do it.
Bowling Green

North Ridgeville, OH

#5 Apr 23, 2009
OK people but I still did not get any answers where to go to get checked up...anybody knows here to go if you don`t have insurance....I am not asking for those hateful answers, just asking for help and advise.
Health Department

Canton, OH

#6 Apr 23, 2009
That is what the Health Department downtown is for, If you cant afford a more reputable doctor, or have private insurance you should be made to go to the Health Department, and wait 5-6 hours like everyone else that goes there.
former HD patient

Bowling Green, KY

#7 Apr 23, 2009
Before i had insurance I went to the health department for BC and yearly check-ups. I loved the nurses/doctors there and feel that I got great care. I am forever grateful for the care I received there that helped me keep from having a child I couldn't afford at the time. I would recommend this facility to anyone without insurance..with or without kids.
As far as the previous commenters 'more reputable doctor' comment...as I said, I got great care there and have been to 2 OBs since that I would consider 'less reputable' than the health department professionals.
If you make your appointment for one of the first or last of the day, your wait tie is extremely short-fyi. Hope this is helpful.
HappyMomma

Alliance, OH

#8 Apr 23, 2009
I don't recommend going to the Women's Clinic (is it still called that?), but they do take Medical card. Another doc that I know takes it (my cousin just started seeing her) is Dr. Morgan, but I also don't recommend her (she has the highest C-section rate in the area).

If it's not too much of an inconvience on you, there is the Women and Children's Clinic in Glasgow. They have 3 or 4 OBs and a Midwife (who I used for my son) They take medical card and were always really nice. I never met the docs, but Nellie Bell the midwife was fabulous. She listened to what I was wanting (or I should say not wanting....drugs) and the only time I had a wait was when she was delivering a baby(goes w/the territory). They don't overbook, so as long as you show up on time you can be out in 30-45 mins, less if it's just a measurement test.
HappyMomma

Alliance, OH

#9 Apr 23, 2009
Health Department wrote:
That is what the Health Department downtown is for, If you cant afford a more reputable doctor, or have private insurance you should be made to go to the Health Department, and wait 5-6 hours like everyone else that goes there.
Just so you know, they don't do OB care there anymore. They refer you to a doctor (one that takes medical card if that's what you use).
HappyMomma

Alliance, OH

#10 Apr 23, 2009
non medical card person wrote:
So what if it cost you $10000 to have a child. If you couldn't afford to pay for it, you shouldn't have it. Also, if it cost $10k, why not PAY THE BILL yourself instead of having the TAXPAYERS like me pay it for you??? You could have made payments, but no, you chose to let the government (aka, my tax dollars) cover the bill for you. People who cannot afford children, should not have them.
I dont' blame MD's for not taking medical card. They get paid only a small portion of their charges. Their malpractice insurance rates are thru the roof due to lawsuit happy idiots and when they only get paid 25% of their charges, they can't afford to do it.
I get so sick of hearing people say that. I worked for 8 yrs before my husband and I found out I was pregnant. My job didn't offer insurance and he was a self employed truck driver (no insurance).

People like you go on and on about if you can't afford it, don't get pregnant...yet you are also probably one of those who is pushing to have abortion made illegal.

In no way do I think women should go out and get pregnant when they don't have jobs, but it's a reality that people have sex, and birth control isn't 100% effective.

It is there for people who need it. If you don't need it then don't use it.
hmm

Canton, OH

#11 Apr 23, 2009
The health department does not see OB patients. That has been transferred to the Fairview Community Clinic on Fairview Avenue.

As for medical card patient's and why doctors do not accept it...medicaid does not reimburse the doctors much at all. I know everyone will say that doctor's are greedy but if you are told "we are Health plan X and will pay your global fee for maternity care at an average of $1800" Global fee = the one complete payment the doctor receives from insurance companies for all office visits and the delivery. And then here comes KY Medicaid that says "we will pay your global fee at an average of $950", and you look at out of that, you pay you overhead and try to have a paycheck for yourself, who would you opt to participate with? You are looking at an average of 14-16 office visits during the pregnancy, and the doctor's fee for delivery. Do the math and then look at it as a business decision.

I truly hope that you will find a physician that will accept your insurance. Good luck.
BG Person

Alliance, OH

#12 Apr 24, 2009
hmm wrote:
The health department does not see OB patients. That has been transferred to the Fairview Community Clinic on Fairview Avenue.
As for medical card patient's and why doctors do not accept it...medicaid does not reimburse the doctors much at all. I know everyone will say that doctor's are greedy but if you are told "we are Health plan X and will pay your global fee for maternity care at an average of $1800" Global fee = the one complete payment the doctor receives from insurance companies for all office visits and the delivery. And then here comes KY Medicaid that says "we will pay your global fee at an average of $950", and you look at out of that, you pay you overhead and try to have a paycheck for yourself, who would you opt to participate with? You are looking at an average of 14-16 office visits during the pregnancy, and the doctor's fee for delivery. Do the math and then look at it as a business decision.
I truly hope that you will find a physician that will accept your insurance. Good luck.
The Fairview Clinic or whatever you called it IS THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT. They moved to the new building and changed the name!
hmm

Utica, KY

#13 Apr 24, 2009
Well...maybe you should verify your information prior to trying to "prove someone wrong". The Warren County Health Department is located at 1109 State street, Bowling Green, KY 42102. Their phone number is listed in the white pages. As of this morning, they are open, answering that phone number and according to the operator, they are currently at that address operating under that name. The Fairview Community Health Center is located at 615 7th Avenue (on the corner of Fairview Avenue). Their phone number is also listed in the white pages. These are very much two deffiernt offices. The Health Department DOES NOT see OB/GYN patients. The Fairview Comm. Health Clinic does.
KooKooRoo

Alliance, OH

#14 Apr 24, 2009
HappyMomma wrote:
<quoted text>
I get so sick of hearing people say that. I worked for 8 yrs before my husband and I found out I was pregnant. My job didn't offer insurance and he was a self employed truck driver (no insurance).
People like you go on and on about if you can't afford it, don't get pregnant.
There's just something so logical about telling someone who does not have the means to pay for the birth of their child that they shouldn't be getting knocked up.

If neither of you have insurance, what business do you have sticking the rest of us with your bills? I don't mind paying for my insurance, but it peeves me to have to pay for your bills on top of that because you couldn't keep your legs closed.
highly recommend

AOL

#15 Apr 24, 2009
Dr. Morgan does accept med.card and she is very good and friendly. You never have to wait and it's a VERY NICE office. She is in the commonwealth med. plaza, next to the Medical center.
Can I get an AMEN

Alliance, OH

#16 Apr 24, 2009
KooKooRoo wrote:
<quoted text>
There's just something so logical about telling someone who does not have the means to pay for the birth of their child that they shouldn't be getting knocked up.
If neither of you have insurance, what business do you have sticking the rest of us with your bills? I don't mind paying for my insurance, but it peeves me to have to pay for your bills on top of that because you couldn't keep your legs closed.
AMEN SISTER.(or brother)
BG Person

Alliance, OH

#17 Apr 24, 2009
hmm wrote:
Well...maybe you should verify your information prior to trying to "prove someone wrong". The Warren County Health Department is located at 1109 State street, Bowling Green, KY 42102. Their phone number is listed in the white pages. As of this morning, they are open, answering that phone number and according to the operator, they are currently at that address operating under that name. The Fairview Community Health Center is located at 615 7th Avenue (on the corner of Fairview Avenue). Their phone number is also listed in the white pages. These are very much two deffiernt offices. The Health Department DOES NOT see OB/GYN patients. The Fairview Comm. Health Clinic does.
The health dept on State St doesn't see any patients. They moved patient care to the Primary Care Ctr on Fairview. The health dept is JUST THAT...the health dept. They handle things like food safety and other community health issues. They do not see patients. Like I said, they moved it all to Fairview. Thanks for your input but I am still correct.
HappyMomma

Alliance, OH

#18 Apr 24, 2009
KooKooRoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey I work too, so did my husband. Neither of our jobs offered health insurance. So why exactly am I not allowed to use the programs I helped to fund?
JudgeYeNot

Alliance, OH

#19 Apr 24, 2009
You know, I have been working for 25 years, and, I'd say I've paid my fair share of taxes. When my husband went back to school, losing his insurance and working part-time, we became eligible for the medical card. We were very grateful for the help. I don't feel one bit ashamed of it and would do it again. His schooling gave us a much better life than the one we had before. I don't see how any of you could begrudge that!!

You shouldn't judge others so harshly. You never know what someone is going through or has been through, and you never know when you might find yourself in a similar position. Ouch!
highly recommend

AOL

#20 Apr 25, 2009
JudgeYeNot wrote:
You know, I have been working for 25 years, and, I'd say I've paid my fair share of taxes. When my husband went back to school, losing his insurance and working part-time, we became eligible for the medical card. We were very grateful for the help. I don't feel one bit ashamed of it and would do it again. His schooling gave us a much better life than the one we had before. I don't see how any of you could begrudge that!!
You shouldn't judge others so harshly. You never know what someone is going through or has been through, and you never know when you might find yourself in a similar position. Ouch!
Well said....those should not cast stones. The day may come that their perfect lives may take a turn. Some people use help as a stepping stone and some just use it and they don't do anything to try and help themselves....THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowling Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kryla Wayne 2 min Tennessee bad ass 5
im getting sick of this 1 hr Eye Cu2pi 2
Where the h at? 1 hr Nothankyou 5
Why are you so jealous? 1 hr Sugar 7
Who's cheating at Alpha 1 hr Pencildick 4
Jessie Marie TWILIGHT crooks (Jan '10) 2 hr I know 153
post has been deleted (Mar '13) 2 hr RandW 15

Bowling Green Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance