Next Sun Union Meeting Oct 9 and 11

Posted in the Bowling Green Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sun Union Man

Festus, MO

#1 Sep 27, 2012
The next set of Union Meetings for Sun Hourly Employees are Tuesday, October 9 beginning at 1 PM in Salon A at the Holiday Inn University and Thursday, October 11 at 1 PM in Meeting Room 5 of the Convention Center at the Holiday Inn University.

Please come and get answers to all of your questions!

Thanks in advance for your participation.
Are You Kidding

Bowling Green, KY

#2 Sep 27, 2012
I don't even work there, but I say bring in the union!
FBS

Bowling Green, KY

#3 Sep 27, 2012
That's right!
Union Yes

Festus, MO

#4 Oct 1, 2012
Reminder that Meetings are next week! See above post!
Sun Employee

United States

#5 Oct 5, 2012
You better be careful! Sun management has spies and they know EXACTLY who and how many people's are attending these meetings. I am for the union and I know 4-5 others that are also. But we don't attend because we know they have spies watching. And they know what happens at each meeting. This is a proven fact.
Sun Employee

United States

#6 Oct 5, 2012
Also, how do we get union cards? And is this just going on in Bowling Green ? What about Franklin? Portland and the other warehouses? Need to get ALL locations. Make this happen NOW!!
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#7 Oct 5, 2012
Sun Employee wrote:
You better be careful! Sun management has spies and they know EXACTLY who and how many people's are attending these meetings. I am for the union and I know 4-5 others that are also. But we don't attend because we know they have spies watching. And they know what happens at each meeting. This is a proven fact.
What's the problem with having someone from the company there? Is it that there will be some one sided b.s.,half truths,and downright lies? The organizers will tell you want to hear,not what you need to know. They tell you they are only interested in you but they are after those dues to live their lifestyle no matter what happens to you. The people of Germany followed Hitler with all his propaganda and visions of glory and where did it get them? Companies do things today you may not like so be careful what you wish for,who you listen too,and what you risk with your current job. Ask your self: Can your family live without your paycheck? Can you afford medical insurance when your COBRA time runs out? Can you afford to pack up and move to another job out of town? A few can,many can not!
Union Yes

Festus, MO

#9 Oct 5, 2012
You should attend the meeting so that you can hear both sides and make an intelligent decision on whther you think that you need a union.

The company can force you to attend their meetings and listen to their side since they are paying you while at the plant. Go hear the other side.

Ask anyone that has attended a meeting. No lies and they answer all of your questions. No answers one-on-one as the company wants to do.

Only after hearing both sides can you make an intelligent decision on whether a union is right for you.

Meetings next week on Tuesday October 9 and Thursday October 11 at the Holiday Inn University.
Why

Canton, OH

#10 Oct 5, 2012
Union Yes wrote:
You should attend the meeting so that you can hear both sides and make an intelligent decision on whther you think that you need a union.
The company can force you to attend their meetings and listen to their side since they are paying you while at the plant. Go hear the other side.
Ask anyone that has attended a meeting. No lies and they answer all of your questions. No answers one-on-one as the company wants to do.
Only after hearing both sides can you make an intelligent decision on whether a union is right for you.
Meetings next week on Tuesday October 9 and Thursday October 11 at the Holiday Inn University.
If a union is right for you why don't you just go work for a company that has a union?
Sun Employee

United States

#11 Oct 5, 2012
I did once work for a company that had a union and the union did work for the person. The union kept the company from treating the employees like Shit and taking their pay away and working holidays or mandatory overtime on a last minute notice. Where I worked the union was a good thing. And I think that's what sun needs. Too much has went on for way too long and its time to put a stop to it. Bonus then no bonus suck ass raise to a even bigger suck ass raise. I am not about to let sun scare me by threatning to move the company else where just because they don't want to do right by their employees. Any one with common sense should know by now sun can't pack up and move now if they wanted to . They have way too many irons in the fire for that. And once again Baltimore is still going strong .
Weak

Canton, OH

#12 Oct 5, 2012
Sun Employee wrote:
I did once work for a company that had a union and the union did work for the person. The union kept the company from treating the employees like Shit and taking their pay away and working holidays or mandatory overtime on a last minute notice. Where I worked the union was a good thing. And I think that's what sun needs. Too much has went on for way too long and its time to put a stop to it. Bonus then no bonus suck ass raise to a even bigger suck ass raise. I am not about to let sun scare me by threatning to move the company else where just because they don't want to do right by their employees. Any one with common sense should know by now sun can't pack up and move now if they wanted to . They have way too many irons in the fire for that. And once again Baltimore is still going strong .
Baltimore is so strong with their seniority that when their plant closes they will come and take the jobs of their new brothers in Bowling Green.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#13 Oct 5, 2012
Sun Employee wrote:
Any one with common sense should know by now sun can't pack up and move now if they wanted to . They have way too many irons in the fire for that. And once again Baltimore is still going strong .
P.T.Barnum was right if you really believe that. With incentives,tax breaks,free site work,utility locations,paid for machinery,relocation expenses,all coming from several states wanting a new industry,believe me,they can make money by moving,plus get away from labor problems and the trouble it causes.
Likes It Fast

Louisville, KY

#14 Oct 5, 2012
Sun Employee wrote:
Under the NLRA (National Labor Relations Act), spying on employees who are engaging in organizing is prohibited and the employer can be held liable if it can be proven they terminated employees to prevent them from organizing a union.

With that being said, I will tell you that almost all U.S. states are "at-will", which means that either you or the employer can terminate your employment without notice for cause/no cause. Unions are in the same category as religion and politics--people tend to feel pretty strongly about them one way or another and sometimes other employees will volunteer information to management about who is leading the union drive.

How do I know this? I worked in HR for a bit and started a job where a union was trying to organize. The company didn't give a sh!t about it, so I didn't bother with the usual union avoidance campaign. I know that spying/questioning employees is wrong and would never do so...however, several employees who did NOT want the union came up to me and fussed about several individuals who had been leading the union drive. I didn't (and wouldn't) use the information to attempt to retaliate against the main organizers but not every business leader is ethical...most are, but there are some exceptions. Unfortunately, sometimes it is the co-workers that will be the ones who are going to inform leadership on what is going on without leadership even asking...

It's a shame that there is so little trust that people are worried about attending union meetings, if only just to find out what it is really about or simply to satisfy their curiosity.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone or be cynical...just being honest and straightforward based on my experience. I've worked as a union organizer and on the other side of the table as well.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#15 Oct 6, 2012
Likes It Fast wrote:
<quoted text>
Under the NLRA (National Labor Relations Act), spying on employees who are engaging in organizing is prohibited and the employer can be held liable if it can be proven they terminated employees to prevent them from organizing a union.
With that being said, I will tell you that almost all U.S. states are "at-will", which means that either you or the employer can terminate your employment without notice for cause/no cause. Unions are in the same category as religion and politics--people tend to feel pretty strongly about them one way or another and sometimes other employees will volunteer information to management about who is leading the union drive.
How do I know this? I worked in HR for a bit and started a job where a union was trying to organize. The company didn't give a sh!t about it, so I didn't bother with the usual union avoidance campaign. I know that spying/questioning employees is wrong and would never do so...however, several employees who did NOT want the union came up to me and fussed about several individuals who had been leading the union drive. I didn't (and wouldn't) use the information to attempt to retaliate against the main organizers but not every business leader is ethical...most are, but there are some exceptions. Unfortunately, sometimes it is the co-workers that will be the ones who are going to inform leadership on what is going on without leadership even asking...
It's a shame that there is so little trust that people are worried about attending union meetings, if only just to find out what it is really about or simply to satisfy their curiosity.
I'm not trying to discourage anyone or be cynical...just being honest and straightforward based on my experience. I've worked as a union organizer and on the other side of the table as well.
Good points. Many people are happy with their jobs and are comfortable with their security,a steady paycheck,and reasonable benefits. When their fellow employees start stirring up dust to jeopardize that comfort zone,yes they will turn to management to inform them what is being done to undermine the operations at their job. There is a new generation of worker out there that wants it ALL-NOW. They don't buy what they can affordlike older people but load their credit to the max with big houses,new cars,boats,electronics so when their shoestring lifestyle starts to close in on them, they will listen to anyone who promises a shortcut to personal security. The organizers can promise the moon and stars but you notice they don't offer a guarantee. The balloon bursts for all when it comes up against a locked gate. There's many very large vacant empty plants around this country that were "too big to close".
temp

United States

#16 Oct 6, 2012
I am only a temp. Just to let the full timers know you have a voice within the temps to speak infavor of unionizing. But please don't forget about us when we are able to become full time employees.
SUN worker

Canton, OH

#17 Oct 6, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Good points. Many people are happy with their jobs and are comfortable with their security,a steady paycheck,and reasonable benefits. When their fellow employees start stirring up dust to jeopardize that comfort zone,yes they will turn to management to inform them what is being done to undermine the operations at their job. There is a new generation of worker out there that wants it ALL-NOW. They don't buy what they can affordlike older people but load their credit to the max with big houses,new cars,boats,electronics so when their shoestring lifestyle starts to close in on them, they will listen to anyone who promises a shortcut to personal security. The organizers can promise the moon and stars but you notice they don't offer a guarantee. The balloon bursts for all when it comes up against a locked gate. There's many very large vacant empty plants around this country that were "too big to close".
I ask my Sun coworkers to look at those trying to start up the union here. The ones that come to mind are extremely lazy or have several failed business ventures. I think their motives are other than just helping their coworkers. They are either out to get status and money by being a union steward or secure themselves so their lazy azzes don't get fired.
Rename

Dublin, OH

#18 Oct 6, 2012
I think you should rename this conversation to "The Committee to force Sun to move it's factories overseas".

Are you mistreated? Is someone forcing you to work for them? Do you just like to form large groups to force others to do what you want and have money forced out of your paycheck to go to politicians you may or may not agree with?

Idiots just trying to organize themselves out of a job.
Union Yes

Festus, MO

#19 Oct 6, 2012
Fear mongering at its best.

Many companies flourish while under a union contract. Most negotiations do not end up in strikes or lockouts. Go to the Department of Labor website and check the stats for yourself.

Educate yourselves people! Check the facts and know the truth! Also research at the NLRB website.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#20 Oct 6, 2012
Union Yes wrote:
Fear mongering at its best.
Many companies flourish while under a union contract. Most negotiations do not end up in strikes or lockouts. Go to the Department of Labor website and check the stats for yourself.
Educate yourselves people! Check the facts and know the truth! Also research at the NLRB website.
......and ask those people who thought their company was too big to close,went out on long shutdowns,and saw their jobs go elsewhere. If they had it to do all over, they would have done differently. Too late!! Make sure you have everything paid off and money to live on for a long while. Also,get your application in at Walmart and McDonalds early to avoid the rush.
truth

Canton, OH

#21 Oct 7, 2012
When I was at sun when union talk was going strong, we had meetings with ron anglin( was plant manager] he told us BS as to why we were better off without a union and lies, about how many good things were coming, just lies. hope they go union, fire a lot of those dumb leads, managers, most of them do little anyway.
How good was the last yearly bonus, still get free soap?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowling Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for someone 3 min Get Rite 25
Who is Allen Henderson 18 min lol 2
who has small pecker 1 hr Wow 27
WBKO Kristi Hancock indicted on all charges 1 hr Conjugal visit 5
Russell Sims Aquatic Center (Jun '12) 2 hr Regretful parent 158
Where is Cedric Donan 4 hr wiseman 3
Steamers - Overated, Overpriced, and Overhyped.... 4 hr Loser 54
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bowling Green Mortgages