Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Judged:

I was witness yesterday to and act of discrimination against a young couple from the management at Hilligans (the former Froggy’s). The girl and guy walked into the new bar and went to order a drink One of the managers approached the guy who was talking to some other people he knew. Then From what I heard he was asked to leave with his girlfriend. When the guy asked why the manager let him know it was because of the way he looked. The guy looked a bit angry at that and asked the manager to explain. I heard the manager tell him that he cant walk around in here dressed like that (a pair of shorts and a t-shirt) but I guess he was referring to the large amount of piercings on his face and his shoes. The customer explained that it was part of his religious practice and he could not discriminate against that he tried to explain his practice but the manager told him it was not his rule but the health department. The customer tried to explain that that was ridicules and a lie. And asked to speak with the owner, the manager told him he was the owner and that he and his girlfriend/wife had to leave. They did and I hope they do something about it. That was wrong of the owner to do that and it was a blatant act of discrimination. I will protest that place and the other bar they own. I will tell all my friends to do the same.
Jimbo

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Yeah i was there and saw that. I heard hi try to tell the manager it was a religious thing. But he was not doing anything religious he walked in with his girl and was going to order a drink. There was nothing inappropriate or strange I just think the manager was being an asshole. I even heard the manager tell him that we don't need you money.
You Said That

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Judged:

Whose bar is it?

If it was your bar, then you'd be perfectly within your rights to serve him. Since it's not your bar, the owner was perfectly within his rights to refuse service to anyone.

You see an act of discrimination. I see a business owner asking someone to leave and getting an argument in return.
my opinion

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Judged:

It's the owner's business and he has the right to refuse service to anyone he chooses.
Jimbo

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Judged:

dear "you said that"
there was no argument that i saw. but if you have a problem with civil rights then he has a right to complain to a higher power.
TJ McKay

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Make sure to post your stories on Hilligans page - http://www.bgmenus.com/restaurants.php...
CheeseForMMe

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

I would like to hear the couples side and their thoughts on what happened to the. After all they are the victims. Of this Hate
Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

You Said That wrote:
Whose bar is it?
If it was your bar, then you'd be perfectly within your rights to serve him. Since it's not your bar, the owner was perfectly within his rights to refuse service to anyone.
You see an act of discrimination. I see a business owner asking someone to leave and getting an argument in return.
so why did he have to leave in the first place?
No Big Deal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Man wrote:
<quoted text> so why did he have to leave in the first place?
I was there when this all happened. The couple walked in and were really friendly and seemed nice. They did get some stares when they came in because there were several piercings on the guys face. The only reason they were asked to leave though was because they came in without shoes on. No big deal. Wear shoes to places that serve food. There was no discrimination here.
Finders Keepers

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

If it was part of the religion they belong to, there is no reason to discriminate that way. Especially when he or she tried to explain that to the staff. I will not go there either after hearing this and they deserve an apology.
health dept regs

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

the truth why they had to leave,they were told they must wear shoes because of health dept regs,they serve food.any other rest. has to abide by the same regs,call it what you like.i dont work there and have no dog in this fight but i was standing there when they were ask to wear shoes or they have to leave.
not impressed

Ft Mitchell, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

What religion says you can't wear shoes in a public place but you can order alcohol?
shoe salesman

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Ah, perhaps the real story...I don't care if he was a biker, gay, or purple with 2 heads and fangs. Like the signs say... No Shirt, No Shoes...No Service. health regs.
concerned individual

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

The owners are Missy and Brian Simmons. They also own the Overtime Bar and Grill
grungetoker

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

if you pierce your face and walk around with no shoes on, dont be freakin suprised if people think you are a joke. seriously.

like the post earlier said, what "RELIGION" tells you to not wear shoes and is cool with drinking. Chances are this freak show smokes the doob and drops his share of E too.

i dont want to sit by freaks like this. if they hadnt tossed the shoeless goof id have paid my tab and left never to come back!
No Hate In BG

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

grungetoker wrote:
if you pierce your face and walk around with no shoes on, dont be freakin suprised if people think you are a joke. seriously.
like the post earlier said, what "RELIGION" tells you to not wear shoes and is cool with drinking. Chances are this freak show smokes the doob and drops his share of E too.
i dont want to sit by freaks like this. if they hadnt tossed the shoeless goof id have paid my tab and left never to come back!
That's the kind of hate we do not need here. Both the girl and the guy have rights just like you do and should not be judged. Everyone looks and acts a certain way.
patron

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

come on guys get real!!!!!!!!!!do you really want to sit in any rest.bar.with people with there dirty feet.is that something you would really want to see.get real.the one who posted this topix needs to tell the whole story dont leave out the most important part.sitting there drinking picking your toe jam then touching the glass could lead to athletes mouth then your lips will fall off,NOW THATS NASTY
Just trying to help

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

I have no intention of ever eating at Hilligans or Overtime but I agree with what they did here. No jury would convict them for what they did and I don't think a majority on a jury would rule against them in any lawsuit either.

I wouldn't be surprised if I got kicked out of a restaurant for not wearing shoes. I know I would get kicked out of one for not wearing a shirt. And if I was to go to a really really really nice one not wearing a suit and tie I wouldn't be surprised if I was denied service.

And like others have asked what religion were these people claiming they were part of?
WOW

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

They arent they are just crying cause they got called out for being stupid.
No Hate In BG

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

There are religions, where members do sacrifice stuff in devotion to there God (s). I hope they see what is being said because i would love to know too. They must be from around here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

122 Users are viewing the Bowling Green Forum right now

Search the Bowling Green Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Bowling Green Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
Song Title Game (Feb '12) 7 min do you love me 1,688
Dr. Shannon Watkins (Jul '09) 7 min wow 41
Hate 1 hr -kevin- 39
Best chicken wings 1 hr Cindy 13
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Tollesboro Guy 81,560
bi-sexual women 2 hr Sherri 3
I Love you 2 hr CBH 3
Stuff the Bus 5 hr OMG 19