Current Sophmore

Portland, TN

#1 Sep 4, 2012
I would really like to go and apply but I'm not sure yet. How was it like? I've heard people talk about the curfew but what exactly is the curfew times?? And I'm worried that if I so get accepted , then I'm gonna spend 100% of my time JUST doing studies and That would stress me out. Also I freak out if I don't get a certain amount of sleep so would that change anything if I get in?? Also , with the people who have been there , how much DId it cost to go there and how hard was the application process? I just looked at it and that's Alot to do in a short amount of time. It says that I should take my ACT in January and so I should probably be looking into that?? Gosh it's just nerve wracking and I probably won't get in since thy only accept 60 students. please help.
Gatton Alumnus

Bowling Green, KY

#2 Sep 4, 2012
I'm glad you're interested, but this is REALLY not the place to be asking. Call the Academy; they love to answer questions like this.
Current Sophmore

Portland, TN

#3 Sep 4, 2012
Gatton Alumnus wrote:
I'm glad you're interested, but this is REALLY not the place to be asking. Call the Academy; they love to answer questions like this.
Okay thank you. I just don't want to feel stupid when asking those questions.
Former Admissions

Mountain Pine, AR

#4 Sep 4, 2012
I agree with our alumnus. The Academy staff is always happy to answer questions about the program. As the person who used to get those questions, nothing you're asking above is out of the ordinary. I will note you should be planning to take the December ACT. (There is not a January ACT exam.) The application seems like a lot of work, but it's not as bad as you think. Even if you don't get in, every part of the process is good preparation for when you apply to college as a senior.
Current Sophmore

Portland, TN

#5 Sep 5, 2012
Former Admissions wrote:
I agree with our alumnus. The Academy staff is always happy to answer questions about the program. As the person who used to get those questions, nothing you're asking above is out of the ordinary. I will note you should be planning to take the December ACT.(There is not a January ACT exam.) The application seems like a lot of work, but it's not as bad as you think. Even if you don't get in, every part of the process is good preparation for when you apply to college as a senior.
Okay thank you for this info!
Junior at the Academy

Bowling Green, KY

#7 Nov 26, 2012
hi there! I'm a student at the Academy. Promise I'm real! First off our curfew is 10:30pm on weeknights and midnight on the weekends. That's one of the rules they're very strict on. I don't know if you've started the application process yet, but I promise it isn't that bad. The interview is the fun part, and really determines if you get in or not! I don't spend all my time studying, but I don't have a lot of free time. We have fun here. I rarely sleep but that's by choice. If you do it right, you shouldn't have a problem. I took the ACT in December, I thought January would be too late. I was scared to ask questions too, so don't worry! We aren't a bunch of robots who study all the time; we're relatively normal. We're a family here, and I hope you join us!
Junior at the Academy

Bowling Green, KY

#8 Nov 26, 2012
oh, and it's free. all you have to pay for is your books, and usually your home county will pay for those.
GoodGrief

Bowling Green, KY

#9 Nov 27, 2012
Hey genius, you might want to at least spell "sophomore" correctly.
Classof2008

Canton, OH

#10 Nov 27, 2012
I was a member of the first graduating class at the Academy. A lot has changed since then, but I definitely loved it. Of course, you're busy, but you still have free time and the students in the Academy are like family. I still have close friends that I graduated with!
Observation

Crockett, TX

#11 Jun 25, 2014
Current Sophmore wrote:
I would really like to go and apply but I'm not sure yet. How was it like? I've heard people talk about the curfew but what exactly is the curfew times?? And I'm worried that if I so get accepted , then I'm gonna spend 100% of my time JUST doing studies and That would stress me out. Also I freak out if I don't get a certain amount of sleep so would that change anything if I get in?? Also , with the people who have been there , how much DId it cost to go there and how hard was the application process? I just looked at it and that's Alot to do in a short amount of time. It says that I should take my ACT in January and so I should probably be looking into that?? Gosh it's just nerve wracking and I probably won't get in since thy only accept 60 students. please help.
Don't bother applying unless you have a minimum 30 on your ACT. If you have below a 30 on your ACT then you would need to be from a county that has not been represented at the academy. If you have a above a 30 on your ACT , then you should apply because the tax payers are actually paying for 2 years of your college education!
Student

Cub Run, KY

#12 Jun 25, 2014
Just an observation/ opinion, but I think you have to be of a certain level of intelligence to be accepted into the gatton academy. You may want to work on your spelling, grammar and writing in general...
Wrong

Louisville, KY

#13 Jun 25, 2014
Observation wrote:
<quoted text>Don't bother applying unless you have a minimum 30 on your ACT. If you have below a 30 on your ACT then you would need to be from a county that has not been represented at the academy. If you have a above a 30 on your ACT , then you should apply because the tax payers are actually paying for 2 years of your college education!
You are advising them incorrectly. If you meet the requirements listed on their webpage and are interested in STEM classes, you should apply. The only score required from the ACT is a 22 in Math.
Wrong

Louisville, KY

#14 Jun 25, 2014
Student wrote:
Just an observation/ opinion, but I think you have to be of a certain level of intelligence to be accepted into the gatton academy. You may want to work on your spelling, grammar and writing in general...
Gatton Academy is a proper noun and should be capitalized, and you ended your last sentence with three periods. Why? See how easy it is to make a mistake.
Student

Evansville, IN

#15 Jun 25, 2014
I'm not the one trying to get into a program for exceptional students. The original post is littered with errors.
Wrong

United States

#16 Jun 25, 2014
Student wrote:
I'm not the one trying to get into a program for exceptional students. The original post is littered with errors.
So you felt the need to correct someone when your post was littered with mistakes? To be accepted into Gatton, one does not to have perfected the English language. They are still 14-16 year olds. Gatton is a STEM high school, normally children who excel in math and science lack in the written language.
Observation

Crockett, TX

#17 Jun 25, 2014
Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
You are advising them incorrectly. If you meet the requirements listed on their webpage and are interested in STEM classes, you should apply. The only score required from the ACT is a 22 in Math.
The last 3 years of history speaks for itself. What is posted on their website is because they are State funded. Yes, those are the minimum requirements but reality and actual data speaks volumes. You can interpret data many different ways BUT there is only one way to interpret the ACT scores of the students they accept.
Wrong

Louisville, KY

#18 Jun 25, 2014
Observation wrote:
<quoted text>The last 3 years of history speaks for itself. What is posted on their website is because they are State funded. Yes, those are the minimum requirements but reality and actual data speaks volumes. You can interpret data many different ways BUT there is only one way to interpret the ACT scores of the students they accept.
Having a 30 or above does not mean anything. They accept students whose ACT is less than 30. I personally know a student who was accepted with a 26 ACT. What does that data tell you? They take a lot of things into consideration when reviewing applicants, ACT is just of many requirements.
Observation

Crockett, TX

#19 Jun 25, 2014
You are correct, there are many factors in the selection process. Because they are State funded they pride themselves on having every county represented in the State of Kentucky. If your county has not been represented , then you have an excellent chance of attending and can do so with the minimum requirements.A lot has changed in public education the past 3 years. The Gatton Academy has become more popular and the selection process has become more competitive. However, the past 3 years they have announced their ACT scores of selected participants were 30 or above. It is a wonderful opportunity to have the tax payers foot the bill for their 2 year college Education, while many school systems can't afford the daily necessities due to funding cuts by the State. The tax payers foot the bill for their 2 year college education, room and board. Their home school system often pays for the books. Great opportunity at the Tax payers expense. In fact, Kentucky has so much extra tax dollars they will be expanding next year and have more slots open.
fgjsrtj

Louisville, KY

#20 Jul 18, 2016
Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>

To clear it up the average person accepted has a minimum 30 on the act but it is not required it was just highly advised
ResearchedTheTop ic

United States

#21 Nov 9, 2017
Observation wrote:
<quoted text> Don't bother applying unless you have a minimum 30 on your ACT. If you have below a 30 on your ACT then you would need to be from a county that has not been represented at the academy. If you have a above a 30 on your ACT , then you should apply because the tax payers are actually paying for 2 years of your college education!
This is a false statement. Taxpayers don't pay this, the Kentucky lottery pays for school as it is a free and public education. Second, even if you have a lower act score, you can still be accepted. Students have been admitted with a 22 before. Essays and interviews are just as important as the act...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowling Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Milfs please need to fucx 3 hr Meandi18s 2
Student at WKU 3 hr Meandi18s 6
Where are all the cougars (Jul '13) 6 hr Dirty 19
S skinner 9 hr Zandra with a Z 5
Soulmate 9 hr Cupcake 65
Nudes 10 hr Hopeminedontshow 7
Best Massage In Town! 10 hr Colleen 12

Bowling Green Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance