WBKO and local news
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jeannie

Glasgow, KY

#1 May 4, 2012
Has anyone noticed that WBKO averages approx. 5 min per show on actual LOCAL news? Then they go to state, national and worldwide- which has already been on TV all day long. Louisville, Lexington and Nashville stations actually carry local news for the majority of their shows? Why can't WBKO? And it is basically the same thing at 5, then at 6 and in case you missed it- again at 10! Geez- seems WBKO should get out and actually report more and quit with the repeats of the major stations. We want LOCAL news......
true

United States

#2 May 4, 2012
Jeannie wrote:
Has anyone noticed that WBKO averages approx. 5 min per show on actual LOCAL news? Then they go to state, national and worldwide- which has already been on TV all day long. Louisville, Lexington and Nashville stations actually carry local news for the majority of their shows? Why can't WBKO? And it is basically the same thing at 5, then at 6 and in case you missed it- again at 10! Geez- seems WBKO should get out and actually report more and quit with the repeats of the major stations. We want LOCAL news......
Love how they give feature stories from hazard or Lexington but a sound bite for local news.

I understand they're short staffed and prolly underfunded but goodness.

On the positive side,they're very good as serving as a community calendar type resource.
Herman Becker

Louisville, KY

#3 May 4, 2012
Follow Joe Imel on FB, and @joeimel on Twitter, you'll see all the local news that never makes it to TV or the paper.
lance

United States

#4 May 4, 2012
Wbko is worse now than they were a few years ago. The common simple fact is money and wbko's budget. Wbko is a 182 out of 210 in the markets, Nashville is a 28 and Louisville is a 46, wbko doesn't have the budget to cover and produce local news like a major city. They literally show the same crap over and over and am Kentucky and midday are useless garbage for news. Wbko also fears doing investigations because they don't want to make anyone mad. I wonder if all small markets are as bad as wbko.
fluid

Floyds Knobs, IN

#5 May 4, 2012
agree, I am addicted...lol
fluid

Floyds Knobs, IN

#6 May 5, 2012
By that I meant I like the tweet updates daily.
thanks

New Albany, IN

#7 May 5, 2012
I, too, had wondered why there's almost no really LOCAL news. I never thought of it as a budget issue.
Herman Becker

Louisville, KY

#8 May 5, 2012
thanks wrote:
I, too, had wondered why there's almost no really LOCAL news. I never thought of it as a budget issue.
Let's see if they discuss the brawl at Warren East tonight that spilled into the parking lot.
forreal

New Albany, IN

#9 May 5, 2012
Herman Becker wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see if they discuss the brawl at Warren East tonight that spilled into the parking lot.
fill us in since wbko didn't. what happened at wehs?

Since: Feb 12

Canton, OH

#10 May 5, 2012
Yes I agree, same old same old Damn rednecks at WBKO need to report real news!
forreal

New Albany, IN

#11 May 5, 2012
pinkpanther90 wrote:
Yes I agree, same old same old Damn rednecks at WBKO need to report real news!
same old red-necks and now their offspring need to stop embarassing wehs
sam

United States

#12 May 5, 2012
They never covered the story about the guy going crazy at subway during homecoming weekend at wku, when wtvf in Nashville covered it thoroughly.

I am so sick of them covering the damn st Jude's hospital. Yes, I feel sorry for them, but you don't bend over for one group and ignore others.
sad

Canton, OH

#13 May 5, 2012
sam wrote:
They never covered the story about the guy going crazy at subway during homecoming weekend at wku, when wtvf in Nashville covered it thoroughly.

I am so sick of them covering the damn st Jude's hospital. Yes, I feel sorry for them, but you don't bend over for one group and ignore others.
I found out about the Katie Autry murder via the bottom scroll on fox news, WBKO was showing Andy Griffith.

National news channels, Nashville, Lexington, Paducah and Louisville stations beat WBKO for coverage on the gunman at WKU years ago.

How does this happen? I fully understand budgetary weaknesses but it really only takes a guy with a scanner (Imel) to hear what's going on and one reporter to ask the questions.

Maybe they should quit doing the news and focus on what they're good at, which is community events, sports and charitable stuff.
forreal

New Albany, IN

#14 May 5, 2012
somebody please fill us in on what happened at wehs tonight...it is prom night, lots of concerned parents
Jesse

United States

#15 May 5, 2012
The worst wbko screw up was the year 2004 I believe, Warren Central just won the state basketball tournament which and I may be wrong was the first state title for a bowling green/warren county team in decades.

WBKO decided to headline there news with a preview of Kentucky playing UAB in the second round of the NCAA tournament which didn't occur until the next day, a game which Kentucky ended up losing. WBKO chose to ignore one of a local high schools biggest accomplishments and show a taped piece about a college 100 miles away.
Herman Becker

Louisville, KY

#16 May 6, 2012
forreal wrote:
somebody please fill us in on what happened at wehs tonight...it is prom night, lots of concerned parents
All I heard was a brawl that was large enough they called the Warren County Sheriff and the State Police..

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#17 May 6, 2012
sam wrote:
They never covered the story about the guy going crazy at subway during homecoming weekend at wku, when wtvf in Nashville covered it thoroughly.
You feel cheated because they didn't cover a drunk at Subway?
Herman Becker

Louisville, KY

#18 May 6, 2012
Courtesy Flush wrote:
<quoted text>
You feel cheated because they didn't cover a drunk at Subway?
There was a video of this incident on You Tube, not sure if it's still listed or not. The cops eventually used the taser-gun to subdue him, and that was the end of the story.
Cologne

United States

#19 May 6, 2012
The guy at subway at wku from a couple years back beat up an African American employee and you better believe had whitey gotten beat up they would have covered it.

I heard that a boy got high at warren easts prom and tried to rape a girl and pull her dress off and a huge brawl broke out with a couple east boys beating up the other kid. They said the assailant went to butler county and snuck in the prom.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#20 May 6, 2012
Herman Becker wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a video of this incident on You Tube, not sure if it's still listed or not. The cops eventually used the taser-gun to subdue him, and that was the end of the story.
There you go, sam. No news team needed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowling Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
happy james earl ray day !!! 19 min Thankful 5
Sexual misconduct among School officials in War... 51 min Geez it's 28
Racist note, feces found on B Green Apt 1 hr ole black dummy 4
Cue Time trash. 2 hr Really that place... 14
size 15 eeee shoes 2 hr jerry 5
Attorney 3 hr Watchyourwordsho 35
Volunteer needed 3 hr Yeaitdoes 4

Bowling Green Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bowling Green Mortgages