Warren County School Superintendent
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
firsthand knowledge

New Albany, IN

#21 Oct 6, 2012
Leonard McCoy sucked wrote:
The teachers are blind to what bullying is today and what it was back in the 1980s when I went thru it, bullying does not have to be verbal or physical, I'll give you an example, I remember back at warren central when we were in lunch in the late 1980s and some kids down the table would always switch my milk with a carton full of toilet piss if I had to get up, I remember drinking that toilet piss that day and nothing was ever done because I was told that if you ratted the cool kids out you would die and the ones that victimized me were the pets, it's the same story today. There's always going to be the jocks and athletes vs the geeks and nerds. It's time to stand up and look at the big picture, the schools should separate the jocks from the geeks and if it requires going through the whole school roster and deciding who is a threat to a high risk geek, it would be worth it.
I don't disagree with your statement in the least. Let me clarify my viewpoint a little and I apologize for not making it clear earlier, I am at the elem/middle school level and at the very least the school leaders are trying to teach kids to not be quiet about it. Nothing can be fixed until someone knows. I agree wholeheartedly that especially with the older students, the bullying exists and is backed up by physical intimidation ( not necessarily violence, but a simple threatening lookthat speaks volumes). I also went to high school here in the 80's and saw heinous acts of bullying, if not downright harassment and violence that would be a felony today. Same groups, jocks vs. the "heads" and the nerds. Those same kids have grown up to be bully parents. Separating students would never work because it would be illegal in some form or fashion because it labels and categorizes kids. But I understand where you are coming from; just one (not to mention multiple) incident of being on the receiving end of a bully can scar and alter ones life beyond repair. I wish there was an easy answer but the schools are trying to start with making students aware and giving them resources whereas inthe 80's we were all told to suck it up and deal cause that's the way the world is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowling Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
im getting sick of this 1 hr Eye Cu2pi 6
Mark Allen Burns 2 hr Toodles 2
Terrible mothers 3 hr Dopey 3
Local Naturists (Jun '15) 3 hr tom 28
Georgia Pacific (Jan '15) 4 hr karma 5
Puppy mill 4 hr Pissed 2
Vacation times 6 hr Lastplacekroger 7

Bowling Green Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance