Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81706 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63619 Jul 18, 2012
I am still catching up on the thread.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#63620 Jul 18, 2012
There are also theories that say the Bermuda Triangle has these same pockets of methane that have come up from the ocean floor, causing even large ships to list and sink. It's something to think about.

Anyone read about the Dragons Triangle/Sea? It's the equivalent of the the Bermuda Triangle, but is off the coast of Japan. They have much of the same phenomena happening as our Bermuda Triangle mysteries hold...

Interesting reading, if you have a chance to get to it.

Location hidden

#63621 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>I can tell you are trying to sneak me into a debate already.
LOL! Are we really that transparent?
:)
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63622 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwww. Thanks! That made me smile. Fortunately, nature finds a way to survive the wrath of human beings.
Human beings don't coexist very well. Heck, we don't even get along with each other for the most pert. We get nervously suspicious when someone has a different skin color, certain handicaps, etc. We have a tendency to deny anything elses right to inhabit what we ignorantly claim parameters without "our personal space" on this earth.
Until human beings learn to respect not only each other, but nature as well, we're doomed to our own self induced demise.....
Very well said and very true!
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63623 Jul 18, 2012
Because I live in a Metro area condo, I hang the Bird Bath, and I must say: it is a beautiful, artistic addition to my balcony garden. I adore it. The materials will hold up well throughout the four seasons, and I particularly like the burnished resin finish and flanking sculpted birds. So do my winged visitors, it appears. I plan on sending The Standing or Hanging Birdbath to friends and family on holidays.
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63624 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Waaay back when, that's what I posted on this thread. In theory, I thought it could be pockets of gas that had escaped and killed the bird while they were in flight. The coal miners used to take birds down deep into the mines to detect gas. Unfortunately, the poor bird would collapse and die, therefore warning the miners that gasses were seeping into their air supply. IF it's a more "natural" cause that has contributed to these mass animal deaths, the Earth is certainly speaking to us. She is "burping"... More so now than ever before in our lifetimes.
You are so right. I remember when we were discussing the gas pockets and the bird theory from the coal mines. I think Earth is moving and changing as the map continues to show. I really pay attention when the states within the Madrid Fault area are moving. I participated in the statewide Earthquake Drill May 2011 officially and know there is reason to be prepared. That drill was from coast to coast. Remember all the history and videos of the Madrid Fault it sparked? I did major research on it back then. Posted many on the subject. Still have the notes. lol

After unabomber's cut on smoothies I seen this on the web and thought of you. It is funny. BTW that smoothie sound delicious. I might jump on the bandwagon myself. Glad you liked the video of the fawn. I thought you would like that.:)
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63625 Jul 18, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
Wow, I was going to respond to your post LSD923 and when I hit post it sent me back to this page without your post and the ones Unabomber is slamming me with lies. Thanks for defending me. It has been the fake Abeliever (his minion) that has been foul and luckily the MODS know who's ip that is, not mine. We loved the picture of your little princess. I guess the MODS are really on this thread thick and heavy. I am happy. That troll is obsessed with me, AW, OJG, and Hempburn. Mostly AW and me. I am glad they are removing them and the FAKE Abeliever he was describing. Lots of posts removed every day. Not like when we were all having decent discussions last year. Hope you are having a great day!!!
Maybe after the thread is cleaned up the old posters will return.
I miss them all. We had a pretty large and mature topix family for awhile. We are lucky thatmany still stop in and say hello, but they all knw that when some major natral (or other) big events take place that he thread will be here to talk about it.
Hope

Lebanon, KY

#63626 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
That is about when my girls will return and I promised them that we would enjoy our vacation together this year. They go back to school Aug. 11th.
Hmmmmm 811 LOL Might be a great date to start the debate. By that time I would be ready to dig up my notes and refresh my memory.
ha ha ha ha!!! By common ground I can tell you are trying to sneak me into a debate already.
ok 8/11 sounds good. By common ground I meant just establishing some facts based on REAL scientific evidence, not media reports or eyewitness reports or even official government reports (not NIST or Penttbom or 9/11 Commision Reports).
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63627 Jul 18, 2012
For <<Nope>>

Mystery Mix Smoothies
http://areyoufast.msn.com/videos/mystery-mix-...

I would have drank it to for $500. lol
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63628 Jul 18, 2012
Oh I forgot the ducks are a real hit so let me post these for the BIRDS. lol

Baby Ducks Teach All of Us a Valuable Lesson

The message here is to never ever give up! No matter how bad things get, God is always on your side. As Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

http://www.godvine.com/Baby-Ducks-Teach-All-o...

One couple finds a way to fill their 'empty nest'

Imagine - the kids are gone and just when you think your child rearing days are over, along comes another baby to take care of.
Watch the video above to check out the story of an abandoned duckling and a couple with helping hands...and an 'empty nest'.

http://www.americanownews.com/story/18374938/...

That was too cute. It was on today.
Sly

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#63629 Jul 18, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, thank you OhioCreepGirl. Glad I could make you smile for a change.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63631 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
There are also theories that say the Bermuda Triangle has these same pockets of methane that have come up from the ocean floor, causing even large ships to list and sink. It's something to think about.
Anyone read about the Dragons Triangle/Sea? It's the equivalent of the the Bermuda Triangle, but is off the coast of Japan. They have much of the same phenomena happening as our Bermuda Triangle mysteries hold...
Interesting reading, if you have a chance to get to it.
I am still catching up, but this post caught my attention!

There is a massive methane leak going on in East Siberia.
Discoveries about the magnitude of methane leaking from the East Siberian Arctic Shelf were highlighted in the National Science Foundation's Strategic Plan for FY 2011-2016. An international research team led by IARC scientists Natalia Shakhova and Igor Semiletov "has found that the permafrost under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf, long thought to be an impermeable barrier sealing in methane, is perforated and is leaking large amounts of methane into the atmosphere. Methane is a greenhouse gas more than 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide."

Read more on page 5 of the full report, available at the following address:
http://www.nsf.gov/news/strategicplan/nsfstra...

I will have to check out the Dragon's Triangle! I will do that before I go to bed.

There were some big articls on the permafrost melting and methane release...going to find ne and post. I believe it (the melt)contributes to much of the crazy natural things that are going on, even our hectic weather.
BDDFC

London, KY

#63632 Jul 18, 2012
Sly wrote:
<quoted text>
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
how may times do I have to tell you I am not a mod!
Pot Kettle syndrome?
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63633 Jul 18, 2012
Huge Methane Leak in Arctic Detected

Methane is leaking into the atmosphere from permafrost in the Arctic Ocean and could accelerate global warming

•A large, overlooked source of methane gas is escaping from arctic permafrost underwater.
•Ocean-bottom permafrost contains vast amounts of carbon, and experts are concerned that its release as methane gas will speed warming.
•Earlier studies had only considered methane escaping from permafrost on land.

Methane is leaking into the atmosphere from unstable permafrost in the Arctic Ocean faster than scientists had thought and could worsen global warming, a study said Thursday.

From 2003 to 2008, an international research team led by University of Alaska-Fairbanks scientists Natalia Shakhova and Igor Semiletov surveyed the waters of the East Siberian Arctic Shelf, which covers more than 772,200 square miles (two million square kilometers) of seafloor in the Arctic Ocean.

"This discovery reveals a large but overlooked source of methane gas escaping from permafrost underwater, rather than on land," the study said.

"More widespread emissions could have dramatic effects on global warming in the future."

Earlier studies in Siberia had focused on methane escaping from thawing permafrost on land.

Scientists have long thought that the permafrost under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf acted as an impermeable barrier that sealed in methane, a powerful greenhouse gas 30 times more potent that carbon dioxide.

But the research team's observations showed that the permafrost submerged on the shelf is perforated and leaking large amounts of methane into the atmosphere.

More than 80 percent of the deep water and more than half of surface water had methane levels around eight times higher than found in normal seawater, according to the study published in the journal Science.

The researchers warned that the release of even a fraction of the methane stored in the shelf could trigger abrupt climate warming.

"Ocean-bottom permafrost contains vast amounts of carbon, and experts are concerned that its release as methane gas would lead to warmer atmospheric temperatures, thus creating a positive-feedback loop that would lead to more methane escaping from the permafrost and more global warming," they said.

Current average methane concentrations in the Arctic average about 1.85 parts per million, the highest in 400,000 years, said Shakhova.

Concentrations above the East Siberian Arctic Shelf are even higher, and scientists are concerned because the undersea permafrost "has been showing signs of destabilization already," she added.

"If it further destabilizes, the methane emissions... would be significantly larger."

Geological records indicate that atmospheric methane concentrations have varied between about .3 to .4 parts per million during cold periods to .6 to .7 parts per million during warm periods.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/methane-leak-...

I am trying to find the more recent article that shows that the Siberian melt was 1000s of times worse than they thought.
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63635 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe after the thread is cleaned up the old posters will return.
I miss them all. We had a pretty large and mature topix family for awhile. We are lucky thatmany still stop in and say hello, but they all knw that when some major natral (or other) big events take place that he thread will be here to talk about it.
We can only hope. Thanks to the MODS we can scroll through less trash. I love our topix family. We have room. The more the merrier and more informed we stay. They hate it because this thread is unique and wasn't a trash site. They have done their best to make it that way though haven't they. So much hate and resentment. Whew,_____to be them huh? lol

Location hidden

#63636 Jul 18, 2012
I surely did, "Abeliever". That little fawn was fortunate that the workers found it.

Unfortunately, I didn't find the little one here until it was too late. I was not lying, I literally cried over it's little body. Had I only known it was out there, I could have nursed it until it was big enough to head out on it's own. I had no idea it was out there.

I'm totally surrounded by woods, so it was well out of eyesight... God has it in his heavenly herd now though. It'll never feel pain again. And I am guessing that it is also with it's loving Momma as well. I just know she was shot and killed. I feel it now, I felt it then. It was a sad day.. I actually went through not only a grieving period, but one of guilt as well. If only I'd known it was out there so close to my house, and needing me so badly..
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63637 Jul 18, 2012
Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats

Dramatic and unprecedented plumes of methane - a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide - have been seen bubbling to the surface of the Arctic Ocean by scientists undertaking an extensive survey of the region.

The scale and volume of the methane release has astonished the head of the Russian research team who has been surveying the seabed of the East Siberian Arctic Shelf off northern Russia for nearly 20 years.

In an exclusive interview with The Independent, Igor Semiletov of the International Arctic Research Centre at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, who led the 8th joint US-Russia cruise of the East Siberian Arctic seas, said that he has never before witnessed the scale and force of the methane being released from beneath the Arctic seabed.

"Earlier we found torch-like structures like this but they were only tens of metres in diameter. This is the first time that we've found continuous, powerful and impressive seeping structures more than 1,000 metres in diameter. It's amazing," Dr Semiletov said.

"I was most impressed by the sheer scale and the high density of the plumes. Over a relatively small area we found more than 100, but over a wider area there should be thousands of them," he said.

Scientists estimate that there are hundreds of millions of tons of methane gas locked away beneath the Arctic permafrost, which extends from the mainland into the seabed of the relatively shallow sea of the East Siberian Arctic Shelf.

One of the greatest fears is that with the disappearance of the Arctic sea ice in summer, and rapidly rising temperatures across the entire Arctic region, which are already melting the Siberian permafrost, the trapped methane could be suddenly released into the atmosphere leading to rapid and severe climate change.

*****Dr Semiletov's team published a study in 2010 estimating that the methane emissions from this region were in the region of 8 million tons a year but the latest expedition suggests this is a **significant underestimate** of the true scale of the phenomenon.******

In late summer, the Russian research vessel Academician Lavrentiev conducted an extensive survey of about 10,000 square miles of sea off the East Siberian coast, in cooperating with the University of Georgia Athens. Scientists deployed four highly sensitive instruments, both seismic and acoustic, to monitor the "fountains" or plumes of methane bubbles rising to the sea surface from beneath the seabed.

"In a very small area, less than 10,000 square miles, we have counted more than 100 fountains, or torch-like structures, bubbling through the water column and injected directly into the atmosphere from the seabed," Dr Semiletov said.

(cont)
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63638 Jul 18, 2012
(Siberian melt part 2 - last)

"We carried out checks at about 115 stationary points and discovered methane fields of a fantastic scale - I think on a scale not seen before. Some of the plumes were a kilometre or more wide and the emissions went directly into the atmosphere -*********the concentration was a hundred times higher than normal," he said.*********

Dr Semiletov released his findings for the first time last week at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco. He is now preparing the study for publication in a scientific journal.

The total amount of methane stored beneath the Arctic is calculated to be greater than the overall quantity of carbon locked up in global coal reserves so there is intense interest in the stability of these deposits as the polar region warms at a faster rate than other places on earth.

Natalia Shakhova, a colleague at the International Arctic Research Centre at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, said that the Arctic is becoming a major source of atmospheric methane and the concentrations of the powerful greenhouse gas have risen dramatically since pre-industrial times, largely due to agriculture.

However, with the melting of Arctic sea ice and permafrost, the huge stores of methane that have been locked away underground for many thousands of years might be released over a relatively short period of time, Dr Shakhova said.

"I am concerned about this process, I am really concerned. But no-one can tell the timescale of catastrophic releases. There is a probability of future massive releases might occur within the decadal scale, but to be more accurate about how high that probability is, we just don't know," Dr Shakova said.

"Methane released from the Arctic shelf deposits contributes to global increase and the best evidence for that is the higher concentration of atmospheric methane above the Arctic Ocean," she said.

"The concentration of atmospheric methane increased unto three times in the past two centuries from 0.7 parts per million to 1.7ppm, and in the Arctic to 1.9ppm. That's a huge increase, between two and three times,*******and this has never happened in the history of the planet,"****** she added.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/vas...

Location hidden

#63640 Jul 18, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
We can only hope. Thanks to the MODS we can scroll through less trash. I love our topix family. We have room. The more the merrier and more informed we stay. They hate it because this thread is unique and wasn't a trash site. They have done their best to make it that way though haven't they. So much hate and resentment. Whew,_____to be them huh? lol
A friendly tidbit, not to be rude in any way: You might consider not bringing the troll issue up any more. It does nothing except add fuel to the fires. The Mods are obviously trying to help, so continually "baiting" the ones that are being watched is not a good method to continue getting that help.

We need to keep from acknowledging the fact that things are coming down, stop taunting in any way, and be nice from here on out if help from moderation is expected to continue...

I'd also stop re-posting the deleted content and thread numbers. It's only rubbing salt in the wounds..... So I personally think it should be dropped from here on out.

Let the thread carry on in peace. Bygones being bygones and all that mushy stuff, right??

I don't mean to sound rude, just being my logical self, LOL!!
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63641 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Big dogs. Also well trained and obedient. I can't put any more than that on here. They're not a very common breed. They are well distinguishable and I don't want anyone to know how to find me.
Idiots abound on this web site and you have to sometimes wonder if a stalker you've got nipping at your tail end might just be an up close text book case. I don't want my animals hurt simply because someone doesn't like what my opinions are.
Sad world we live in. I wish I could tell you what they all are. They have a bad rap for being hard to train, but I have had great luck with how I condition my dogs..
(By the way, they're all rescues from very abusive situations. So they were quite "broken" before I got them. They're very well adjusted now. Great guard dogs and are very obedient companions who also tolerate the rest of the menagerie quite well. This house is akin to Noah's Ark, hehe. No one squabbles. No one)...
That is wonderful. love the Noah's Ark theme. "No one squabbles. No one." Ahhh, you really have found heaven. Ok, packing my bags now. ha ha ha! You must be one of the ones smart enough to live single.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowling Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
To Auto (Samantha's Man) Please Read 1 hr Lana 6
Need two men for threesome 1 hr Hotrod2479 16
Is it wrong to crush and fantasize about my ste... 1 hr Hotrod 2
It was real 1 hr Could be different 23
Shooting on Blue level Providence in Rockfield ... 2 hr Lynno 9
Another school district sharing your kids data 3 hr Correct 2
WBKO Chris Allen expanded show starting April 30 4 hr Directors Cut 10

Bowling Green Jobs

Personal Finance

Bowling Green Mortgages