Question for the peeople of Bowling Green and surrounding areas

Posted in the Bowling Green Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 5, 2009
What do you people think about Harlan County in the Southeastern part of KY, or southeastern KY in general?

Is the entire state of Kentucky pretty much like Harlan County in intelligence, motivation, thinking, etc..?

I live in Colorado, and I am trying to get your perspective from another area of your state compared to Bowling Green.

Here in Colorado, we have the plains, and that is where you will find the farmers. In the mountains, you will find the elite and upper class, as well as the middle, and lower level classes.

Larger cities here have problems with poverty like most large inner cities have, but there is not one area in our state that causes embarrassment for our entire state as southeastern Kentucky does for yours to mainstream America.

I am wondering if Kentucky is like Colorado in that respect?

I have a feeling you people are somewhat different in logic, reasoning, and in thinking compared to mainstream Southeastern, Appalachian, Kentucky.

Of course they have good people there, but don't they drag your state down by reputation to be honest?

Your honesty would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, you can count some from southeast KY to come here, and beg you not to talk to me since I am asking you people about them. I only wanted an honest answer about my question.

Thank you!

Since: Sep 08

Bowling Green, KY

#2 Nov 5, 2009
South Central KY is nothing like eastern KY.
We are 1 hour noth of Nashville, and on the I65 corridor.
http://www.bgky.org/
http://www.bgchamber.com/
I know first hand what people from other parts of the US think about KY, imbreading and all that jazz. Kind of narrow minded.
I was reading about states like Iowa Back in the 17 & 1800s, because the farms were so remote, they acually adopted far away from home, every third generation to keep new
blood in the gene pool. TO many cousins getting married to cousins. Did they figure out they needed to do this the hard way?
You tell me.
Guy on a bike

Bowling Green, KY

#3 Nov 5, 2009
For some inexplicable reason (woman I think), my dad lived in Barbourville for a while. I don't recommend going there for any reason. I've been to Hazard as well. Also a place to avoid.

Eastern KY is not a good depiction of the rest of the state, but that seems to be the impression people get.

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 5, 2009
Eric Sam wrote:
South Central KY is nothing like eastern KY.
We are 1 hour noth of Nashville, and on the I65 corridor.
http://www.bgky.org/
http://www.bgchamber.com/
I know first hand what people from other parts of the US think about KY, imbreading and all that jazz. Kind of narrow minded.
I was reading about states like Iowa Back in the 17 & 1800s, because the farms were so remote, they acually adopted far away from home, every third generation to keep new
blood in the gene pool. TO many cousins getting married to cousins. Did they figure out they needed to do this the hard way?
You tell me.
I really appreciate your answer. It's hard to find honesty anymore on message boards.

I have never been to Bowling Green, but I hope to go there one of these old days.

My daughter's best friend is from Bowling Green, and my daughter just loves it there.

Hey, thank you again for your honest answer.

Unless I am wrong, it sounds like you are embarrassed of Southeastern KY since they seem to drag down the rest of your great state by reputation.

Thanks for the link as well.
Toejam

Bowling Green, KY

#5 Nov 5, 2009
Anything east of Interstate 75 and south of Interstate 64 is bad news. It gets worse the further south and east you go. Bowling Green isn't bad but the surrounding counties are almost as bad as the Harlan area.
mr green jeans

Lexington, KY

#6 Nov 5, 2009
hey captain!!

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#7 Nov 5, 2009
Guy on a bike wrote:
For some inexplicable reason (woman I think), my dad lived in Barbourville for a while. I don't recommend going there for any reason. I've been to Hazard as well. Also a place to avoid.
Eastern KY is not a good depiction of the rest of the state, but that seems to be the impression people get.
Thank you for your answer as well.

What is it about there that makes people think so poorly of Kentucky? Not all, but I think you know what I mean.

I'm really trying to get a clear picture here as to why people in Kentucky are looked down upon because of one specific area in Kentucky.

That must make you people angry. I know it would me.

Thank you again.

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#8 Nov 5, 2009
mr green jeans wrote:
hey captain!!
Hi, how ya doing today?

I have to go now, Mr. Moose is calling me.
peeweeherman

Bowling Green, KY

#9 Nov 5, 2009
lot's of good people in the Southeastern part of our state. Unfortunately, eastern ky and the appalachians in general suffer from rather disgusting stereotypes. Kentucky is a beautiful state, as is colorado. You just had that 'baloon boy' incident there that caused people to wonder about your state too. I've been to your state and there are also places like our appalachians in colorado too. maybe you just haven't seen them yet. You can find something undesirable about every state in the country if you look. And why would you want to know this about kentucky in the first place anyway????
mr green jeans

Lexington, KY

#10 Nov 5, 2009
I am doing fine. hos is mr. moose doing?

“Just a little strange...”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#11 Nov 5, 2009
Ok Jim, I have to ask...just what are you trying to prove here? That there are sterotypes about SE Ky? Yeah we know that. But what about all the ppl like myself that live in this area now, but are from that area to begin with? I have to be honest, it seems to me like you are just trying to perpetrate the sterotypes about Harlan ppl. I'm not married to a relative. I have a good education, with a triple digit IQ to go with it. I am not on drugs, and I very rarely even drink. But I also like to think that growing up in a small town like Harlan is what helped mold me into the person I am today. Which is a smart, hard working, kinda hearted, open minded person who is just trying to make it in life. I'm actually in the process of looking for a job which is hard enough with todays economy. Now I have someone on this site, which believe it or not possible employers do browse, talking about how low and bad the ppl from my hometown are. Gee thanks for that Jimmy. You know what? I have lost A LOT of respect for you over this. And when AntiYou gets home from school and sees this I think he will feel the same.

Since: Sep 08

Bowling Green, KY

#12 Nov 5, 2009
Jimmy Rants wrote:
<quoted text>
I really appreciate your answer. It's hard to find honesty anymore on message boards.
I have never been to Bowling Green, but I hope to go there one of these old days.
My daughter's best friend is from Bowling Green, and my daughter just loves it there.
Hey, thank you again for your honest answer.
Unless I am wrong, it sounds like you are embarrassed of Southeastern KY since they seem to drag down the rest of your great state by reputation.
Thanks for the link as well.
Embarrassed? My Mom and Sisters live in central Michigan. GO there sometime, head to the nearest tavern, have a seat at the bar. Start a friendly conversation with the bartender, tell him you live in KY, see what the reaction is.
Can you convince them what this area of KY is like? Good luck.
Toejam

Bowling Green, KY

#13 Nov 5, 2009
The Harlan area sucks. It doesn't get any more backwards than Harlan, Bell, Leslie, or Pike counties. All they do is collect welfare, food stamps, crazy checks, and SSDI payments and take painkillers all day long.

A mushroom cloud would do that part of the state some good.
berlin

Lexington, KY

#14 Nov 5, 2009
Jimmy Rants wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, how ya doing today?
I have to go now, Mr. Moose is calling me.
haha i dont like you, but that picture you got next to your name, thats something funny!!!hee hee thanx for the laugh!!!!!
It seems

Bowling Green, KY

#15 Nov 5, 2009
It seems every time someone from KY is on the news, they put the worst looking and talking person on T.V. It always gives the worst impression of KY people. Not every woman from KY is barefoot and pregnant, nor is everyone ignorant!

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#16 Nov 5, 2009
peeweeherman wrote:
lot's of good people in the Southeastern part of our state. Unfortunately, eastern ky and the appalachians in general suffer from rather disgusting stereotypes. Kentucky is a beautiful state, as is colorado. You just had that 'baloon boy' incident there that caused people to wonder about your state too. I've been to your state and there are also places like our appalachians in colorado too. maybe you just haven't seen them yet. You can find something undesirable about every state in the country if you look. And why would you want to know this about kentucky in the first place anyway????
Because my question is a fair question that deserves an honest answer. That's why?

I use to live in Kentucky for your information. I know what it is like first hand as well as Lexington and Louisville and a few other places in KY.

Colorado does not however, have the same overall negative reputation that Kentucky has nationally. Now you have to be honest about that.

Why does the southeastern part of your state have this, "suffer from rather disgusting stereotypes" as you yourself stated.

Did it happen by itself, or was there a cause?

Just be honest here.

Look, I am originally from South Mississippi, and no one in America has faced the stereotyping we have had to endure for years on end....so my question is a fair one without malice.

I can say my home state is trying hard to overcome it's days old old reputation, but what about Southeastern, Kentucky? Can you say the same, and if yes, please give us some examples of what they are doing. I an truly interested.

I'll be happy to give examples for Mississippi and for Colorado.

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#17 Nov 5, 2009
mr green jeans wrote:
I am doing fine. hos is mr. moose doing?
He's eating right now with Bunny Rabbit.
Guy on a bike

Bowling Green, KY

#18 Nov 5, 2009
I think the reason people have that opinion is the media sensationalism over the years. Aside from the KY Derby, most depictions of KY involved "Blue People", moonshiners, or feudin' hillbillies.

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#19 Nov 5, 2009
Bella_Morte wrote:
Ok Jim, I have to ask...just what are you trying to prove here? That there are sterotypes about SE Ky? Yeah we know that. But what about all the ppl like myself that live in this area now, but are from that area to begin with? I have to be honest, it seems to me like you are just trying to perpetrate the sterotypes about Harlan ppl. I'm not married to a relative. I have a good education, with a triple digit IQ to go with it. I am not on drugs, and I very rarely even drink. But I also like to think that growing up in a small town like Harlan is what helped mold me into the person I am today. Which is a smart, hard working, kinda hearted, open minded person who is just trying to make it in life. I'm actually in the process of looking for a job which is hard enough with todays economy. Now I have someone on this site, which believe it or not possible employers do browse, talking about how low and bad the ppl from my hometown are. Gee thanks for that Jimmy. You know what? I have lost A LOT of respect for you over this. And when AntiYou gets home from school and sees this I think he will feel the same.
Sorry you do not like my fair and reasonable question Bella.

I am NOT pointing out anyone specific here. I am asking for opinions about a general population called 'demographically referenced society.'

If you lose respect for me, well, what can I say? Are you in Harlan County now? I really do not know. Are you?

My question is fair, but I notice the people of southeastern Kentucky seem to be squiring for some reason, and this has me baffled, when I am not asking Harlan people anything whatsoever. I'm asking for unbiased opinions from other locales.

About Anti....He himself has said what he thinks about Harlan County. I've read it, so I doubt if he will change his original position. I doubt if he is a liar. I do respect him.

Lastly, I know you are good people. I am not even talking about you. I am talking and asking about a perception here of a location.

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#20 Nov 5, 2009
Guy on a bike wrote:
I think the reason people have that opinion is the media sensationalism over the years. Aside from the KY Derby, most depictions of KY involved "Blue People", moonshiners, or feudin' hillbillies.
In your honest opinion, is that a fair depiction of how, and why people see Kentucky the way they do?

There has to be a cause for this depiction, yes?

This is all I am trying to find out about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowling Green Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get Shot for not complying with Cop Demands 6 min Cast System 110
Bowling Green Metalforming (Jan '13) 38 min sweet girl my ass 12
Cowardly Cops mistakenly Grabs AR-15 instead of... 1 hr wow 21
terry gill made parole. wow. 1 hr ThePurpleOne 5
"F@#K Your Breath!" 2 hr Dr Frank Phillips 4
Kentucky Downs Casino Franklin KY (Jul '13) 2 hr Jazz 33
Meth Cookers Busted 2 hr Bgnews 5
Warren Co Schools 4 hr Tony 60

Flood Warning for Warren County was issued at April 19 at 10:30AM EDT

More from around the web

Bowling Green People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]