Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Jan 28, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mommag

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

Bowie needs the bowling alley and drive in theater opened back up! Anyone else for this?!
yeah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

Except if u do the math based on three familys a night bowling, not enough to pay the bills. Bowie is too small to build a bowling alley and be able to pay for the building and still make money. Some nights u will have no familys bowling. Then what do u do?
citizen

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 3, 2013
 
yeah wrote:
Except if u do the math based on three familys a night bowling, not enough to pay the bills. Bowie is too small to build a bowling alley and be able to pay for the building and still make money. Some nights u will have no familys bowling. Then what do u do?
That's when they would schedule league nights on the slow nights and charge each league team to join. They could also charge for pool, concessions and beer.
mommag

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 3, 2013
 
I think it would get lots of business! I know m and my family would love it not to mention the parties that could b held there it would b something all the kids could do there isn't much aside from the skate rink that kids can do round here. And for the drive in movie it would b a blessing for all is mms w babies we could go to the movie and not disturb anyone and still have our lil ones!:)

Since: Sep 10

Bowie, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

Funny, some two or three days ago my father was discussing the possibility that a bowling alley might go over well in Bowie, especially if it were to sell beer, offer other games like shuffleboard and pool, and so forth.

However, I have the same reservations as “yeah.” I don’t know if such an establishment would last once the new wore off; that is to say, I am skeptical as to whether or not a bowling alley constitutes a wise long-term investment. Then again, I am no expert as regards business and whatnot, so I very well may be wrong.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that Bowie is too small to support a bowling alley for very long. Bowling leagues might help, but I know people who bowl and are/were members of bowling teams, yet who would frown upon an establishment that sells alcohol of any sort. And the more attractions one offers, the more space and money one needs.
wanted to know

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

It would be so great to have a bowling ally and drive in theater. I was telling my husband the other day they should open a drive in theater.
Get real

Hemphill, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

Bowie had a bowling alley at one time. It was located across the highway from what used to be Golden Corral and just before you reached the old Walmart store. Seems like the bowling alley was create from an old Gibson's building that closed due to competition to Walmart.

In short, the bowling alley didn't succeed.
loved it

Rockwall, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I remember bowling at the old bowling alley here in town. My grandma was in the leagues they held and that is where she taught all the grandkids to play. As kids we loved it great memories, but I don't think children now days would not sure most parents would be able to get their kids nose out of the computer or off the x box the modern day babysitters.
wanted to know

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 4, 2013
 
Get real wrote:
Bowie had a bowling alley at one time. It was located across the highway from what used to be Golden Corral and just before you reached the old Walmart store. Seems like the bowling alley was create from an old Gibson's building that closed due to competition to Walmart.

In short, the bowling alley didn't succeed.
That was a very long time ago. It's time to try it again
mommag

Euless, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 4, 2013
 
loved it wrote:
I remember bowling at the old bowling alley here in town. My grandma was in the leagues they held and that is where she taught all the grandkids to play. As kids we loved it great memories, but I don't think children now days would not sure most parents would be able to get their kids nose out of the computer or off the x box the modern day babysitters.
Well as a mom to a 7 1/2 yr old,she LOVES to bowl! Trying to raise her old school! Lol
mommag

Euless, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 4, 2013
 
Just want some good clean fun for families in this town,it's easy to blow off family time when u have to drive far out of town or have a small baby to tote around. Sports are great and all the church and school functions are a blast but I'd like to b able to have a place ready year round!
just a kid

Hemphill, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

A bowling alley would be nice but really expensive. One lane can be around $100,000 but I would love to see one come about.
Get real

Hemphill, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Hey, I am all for the bowling alley and wish you much luck in getting one started as I know the value in good family activities. However, I will say just one more thing so that you will know how hard your endeavor will be, making it necessary to plan very wisely. The old bowling alley even had a nice restaurant in it, and still, it did not succeed.

I would think that your greatest success would be some sort of complex that contained bowling, roller skating, miniature golf, possibly a walk-in movie theater, and a full restaurant or very popular fast-food place known for a family environment and healthy food items on the menu in addition to the burgers, etc. I would also want the complex located in the end of town that already has the most action. I really don't know my directions in Bowie, but I believe that is the east end of town.

Again, plan wisely!
mommag

Euless, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 5, 2013
 
I never said I would or could start one(wish I was though) with that being said all things are possible through Christ!:)
Home

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 5, 2013
 
In order to start anything, you need money! Investors! The bowling alley did not make it, the drive in theater did not make it, the putt putt golf did not make it, the city auditorium did not make it. Again, when the new wears off, people quit going because 1/ they don't have the money to spend, 2/ they don't have the time 3/ because they will find something wrong with it and bash it on here and people will quit going. A full service brande restaurant can't come to Bowie because there are not enough people for one, and the other because the median income is low. Those type restaurants go to bigger cities with some people that work and make money. Decatur has a nice theater and they only charge $5 per person, I don't know know how they are staying in business. And yess mommag, all things are possible through Christ if it is his will for it to be possible!
Get real

Hemphill, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 5, 2013
 
Home wrote:
In order to start anything, you need money! Investors! The bowling alley did not make it, the drive in theater did not make it, the putt putt golf did not make it, the city auditorium did not make it. Again, when the new wears off, people quit going because 1/ they don't have the money to spend, 2/ they don't have the time 3/ because they will find something wrong with it and bash it on here and people will quit going. A full service brande restaurant can't come to Bowie because there are not enough people for one, and the other because the median income is low. Those type restaurants go to bigger cities with some people that work and make money. Decatur has a nice theater and they only charge $5 per person, I don't know know how they are staying in business. And yess mommag, all things are possible through Christ if it is his will for it to be possible!
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Do you create businesses to attract new people to town or do you sit around waiting and hoping that the town will one day grow so that it might then be lucky enough to have some new businesses. Further, you were talking about the failure of individual businesses. Perhaps, there is power in numbers and location, etc.

I mentioned cons only to alert you that it would not be easy so that you would dig in and work hard enough to create a success. With your current attitude, I would suggest that you probably should not be one of the organizers or investors in such an endeavor. Whoever does this, if anyone, should be someone with a really positive attitude and a great work ethic as well as the ability to dream big dreams, etc.
Nicole

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 6, 2014
 
Hi, Just wondering... when did the Bowie Bowling Alley Close??
Blessed Be

Longview, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 6, 2014
 

Judged:

1

I'd love to see a bowling alley and a walk in theater. I grew up in Bowie and have fond memories of both and would love to have some family entertainment around here.
metal momma

Clyde, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 7, 2014
 

Judged:

2

get ya a wii bowling game and a big screen tv and you'll have it
Big Duke Frank

Cross Plains, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 14, 2014
 

Judged:

1

The cost of Electricity within the city limits would make a Bowling Alley cost prohibitive. When you have the city up charging the electricity they buy from the coop at the margins they are charging, you have a city that is anti-business. The City itself is keeping businesses from coming to Bowie.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Bowie Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bowie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Bowie News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bowie
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••