EPISD cleared in Bowie HS TAKS test i...

EPISD cleared in Bowie HS TAKS test inquiry

There are 194 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 21, 2010, titled EPISD cleared in Bowie HS TAKS test inquiry. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Texas Education Agency investigators cleared the El Paso Independent School District of allegations that TAKS cheating took place at Bowie High School in 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#81 Oct 24, 2010
Well, there is no evidence that Bowie cheated, so I guess the best thing is for Shapleigh to let it go. If this is true of the district, the scores are going up. Still think that the kids are tested too much though.
Chuy

El Paso, TX

#82 Oct 24, 2010
high five wrote:
Thats why My kids go to a private school and if yall have something to say about EPISD u would start paying for a better education for your kids too. And dont look on how other schools aré doing look at how your child is doing not others
I couldn't agree with you more! Unfortunately we are all paying into the school system that is a money pit. It is an outrage that they are asking for more money that primarily goes to admistrators that have nothing to do but collect a paycheck.

Location hidden

#83 Oct 24, 2010
high five wrote:
Thats why My kids go to a private school and if yall have something to say about EPISD u would start paying for a better education for your kids too. And dont look on how other schools aré doing look at how your child is doing not others
Even though I don't believe privates schools are better, I can agree with you. Everyone should take responsibility and get involved with their kids. I like this.

Location hidden

#84 Oct 24, 2010
Chuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree with you more! Unfortunately we are all paying into the school system that is a money pit. It is an outrage that they are asking for more money that primarily goes to admistrators that have nothing to do but collect a paycheck.
Do you by chance have proof on this comment? Do you really believe the school district is a money pit? I would like to see some evidence on this.
Beto

El Paso, TX

#85 Oct 25, 2010
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you by chance have proof on this comment? Do you really believe the school district is a money pit? I would like to see some evidence on this.
Guess you haven'y been paying attention to the failure of TRE, the laying off of hourly employees at central office, and putting off of pay raises by teachers in EPISD.
Oh Central office is fine.
Johnny Walker

El Paso, TX

#86 Oct 25, 2010
Can we get back to the subject? Did Boowee cheat? I find it so hard to believe they can pass a test in english. The campus is primarily mexican and has a south of the border atmosphere.
Is TAKS given in Spanish?
I guess the reason for all the clamor is that the current condition of EPISD's reputation is somewhat bruised. In light of misconduct by employees and high profile admistrators.
Joe

United States

#87 Oct 25, 2010
Johnny Walker wrote:
Can we get back to the subject? Did Boowee cheat? I find it so hard to believe they can pass a test in english. The campus is primarily mexican and has a south of the border atmosphere.
I guess the reason for all the clamor is that the current condition of EPISD's reputation is somewhat bruised. In light of misconduct by employees and high profile admistrators.
Yes the TAKS is given in Spanish. Bowie but not just Bowie is nothing more than a diploma mill.

The schools have found all sorts of ways around TAKS, the best way to judge a school now is to check how many students took the SAT and how their scores on that are.

Location hidden

#88 Oct 25, 2010
Beto wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you haven'y been paying attention to the failure of TRE, the laying off of hourly employees at central office, and putting off of pay raises by teachers in EPISD.
Oh Central office is fine.
Ok so how is this a money pit?
realbear

El Paso, TX

#89 Oct 25, 2010
Johnny Walker wrote:
What kind of asinine statement is that of our students at Bowie? The majority of our students are Hispanic and all are United States citizens. People like you, Dan Wever, and Eliot have been on Bowie forever, why not look at Coronado? You will find alot more cholos in T-Bird country than at La Bowie. Wever and Shapleigh pick on Bowie because of our demographic. People cannot believe that Bowie students can succeed and will do anything to prove otherwise. Remember Stand and Deliver, that movie could have been about Bowie.
Okay

El Paso, TX

#90 Oct 25, 2010
realbear wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of asinine statement is that of our students at Bowie? The majority of our students are Hispanic and all are United States citizens. People like you, Dan Wever, and Eliot have been on Bowie forever, why not look at Coronado? You will find alot more cholos in T-Bird country than at La Bowie. Wever and Shapleigh pick on Bowie because of our demographic. People cannot believe that Bowie students can succeed and will do anything to prove otherwise. Remember Stand and Deliver, that movie could have been about Bowie.
Okay lets see about your statement "majority of our students are HISPANIC and ALL are United States citizens" THEN WHY DO THEY TAKE THE TAKS TEST IN SPANISH??? They should know ENGLISH if the are US citizens and how much do you want to bet that NOT ALL are US citizens but most are from JUAREZ!! You know you will lose that bet!
taxpayer

AOL

#91 Oct 25, 2010
realbear wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by Bowie students success? Is it passing TAKS by a minimum score? Is it low scores on the PSAT or SAT? Is it the graduation rate, but not attending college?

Location hidden

#92 Oct 25, 2010
It is so funny how people just love to put down a school when Shapleigh was already proven wrong. The facts remain, they passed. There is no bending a fact. Opinions are nothing but la opinions, just leave those students alone and move on. You need to worry about your student and get active with their education, that would be a start.
Just wondering

United States

#93 Oct 26, 2010
realbear wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of asinine statement is that of our students at Bowie? The majority of our students are Hispanic and all are United States citizens... Wever and Shapleigh pick on Bowie because of our demographic. People cannot believe that Bowie students can succeed and will do anything to prove otherwise. Remember Stand and Deliver, that movie could have been about Bowie.
Using that logic if the people had two wheels and a handle bar we could call them bicycles!
Bottom line is that EPISD is providing a spectacular show with all the smoke and mirrors to highlight how exceedingly good they are doing.
Meanwhile these students are still pretty nonfunctional aand noncompetative in the job market.
realbear

El Paso, TX

#94 Oct 26, 2010
Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Using that logic if the people had two wheels and a handle bar we could call them bicycles!
Bottom line is that EPISD is providing a spectacular show with all the smoke and mirrors to highlight how exceedingly good they are doing.
Meanwhile these students are still pretty nonfunctional aand noncompetative in the job market.
How bout lending a hand to help these students? We are always looking for mentors and volunteer tutors. People are real quick to diss Bowie but when it comes to helping out, it is all talk. We talk the talk and do the walk. Talk is cheap. We have been investigated and cleared and still the questions remain. The Bowie community knows how far we have come and it only getting better.
Joe

United States

#95 Oct 26, 2010
realbear wrote:
<quoted text>
How bout lending a hand to help these students? We are always looking for mentors and volunteer tutors. People are real quick to diss Bowie but when it comes to helping out, it is all talk. We talk the talk and do the walk. Talk is cheap. We have been investigated and cleared and still the questions remain. The Bowie community knows how far we have come and it only getting better.
But the mentors must be fluent in Spanish and not many fluent in Spanish sign up. Plus since at least half the kids live in Juarez, not many people want to mentor over there.
realbear

El Paso, TX

#96 Oct 26, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
But the mentors must be fluent in Spanish and not many fluent in Spanish sign up. Plus since at least half the kids live in Juarez, not many people want to mentor over there.
Wow talk about backwards thinking. My students only talk to me in English so please do not generalize our population. We never here spanish at Austin, El Paso High, or Coronado right? We dont need mentors with your mentality or prejudices. We live in El Paso Joe, cultures do tend to come together. Viva La Bowie!!

Location hidden

#97 Oct 26, 2010
realbear wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow talk about backwards thinking. My students only talk to me in English so please do not generalize our population. We never here spanish at Austin, El Paso High, or Coronado right? We dont need mentors with your mentality or prejudices. We live in El Paso Joe, cultures do tend to come together. Viva La Bowie!!
Great post!
Dan Wever

El Paso, TX

#98 Oct 26, 2010
Realbear,
There you go again using my name in vain. I of course cannot speak for the Senator but I again will tell you how Bowie got on my radar.

And, by on my radar, I mean looking at the administration and accountability people at the school not the students. The students did not cheat or do anything that was wrong at anytime that I know of and I do not know who said they did but it was not me and I have never read anything where Senator Shapleigh said anything negative about the students.

I think the EPISD spin masters like to try and make people and students think this is an attack on them so that the spotlight is taken off of them. This is one of their favorite PR modus operandi.

I was doing a study on accountability on the EPISD and noticed that a lot of 9th grade students did not make it to the 10th grade the next year. Starting in 07-08 Burges had 27%, Jefferson had 33%, El Paso High had 32% and Bowie had 55%.

With this large figure of 55 percent of the Bowie’s 9th graders not making it to the 10th grade Bowie became a lightning rod for study.

When dealing with school districts people need to understand that if it is possible to feed the public information that is partially valid then it is OK even if other information would nullify the original information.

Let me give you an example the EPISD uses all the time and other people supporting the EPISD have also used this figure to show how efficient and lean and trim the EPISD really portends to be.
The Administrative Cost Ratio is used for the above purpose. Now what is the ACR?

It is a formula and this formula is:

“The administrative cost ratio for a school district is determined by dividing non-federal operating expenditures in general administration and instructional leadership by expenditures in instruction, instructional resources, curriculum, and guidance and counseling functions.”

This seems simple enough doesn’t it. But did you notice the term NON-FEDERAL OPERATING EXPENDITURES.
So when the ACR figure is used to tell the public how well run the district is has something been left out that would change the original message?
In 2009-2010 the EPISD used Federal money to pay for Director Level and Up positions totaling over $1,000,000. Would a million dollars more added to the formula change the numbers? Of course they would.

Last year the EPISD had the 2nd largest costs for administration per student in the State of Texas. And if the cost of living were taken into consideration they jump to the top.
So is this “cheating”?

Is something like this going on in the accountability area of the district?
In my opinion, You bet there is!
realbear

United States

#99 Oct 27, 2010
Dan Wever wrote:
Realbear,
There you go again using my name in vain. I of course cannot speak for the Senator but I again will tell you how Bowie got on my radar.
And, by on my radar, I mean looking at the administration and accountability people at the school not the students. The students did not cheat or do anything that was wrong at anytime that I know of and I do not know who said they did but it was not me and I have never read anything where Senator Shapleigh said anything negative about the students.
I think the EPISD spin masters like to try and make people and students think this is an attack on them so that the spotlight is taken off of them. This is one of their favorite PR modus operandi.
I was doing a study on accountability on the EPISD and noticed that a lot of 9th grade students did not make it to the 10th grade the next year. Starting in 07-08 Burges had 27%, Jefferson had 33%, El Paso High had 32% and Bowie had 55%.
With this large figure of 55 percent of the Bowie’s 9th graders not making it to the 10th grade Bowie became a lightning rod for study.
When dealing with school districts people need to understand that if it is possible to feed the public information that is partially valid then it is OK even if other information would nullify the original information.
Let me give you an example the EPISD uses all the time and other people supporting the EPISD have also used this figure to show how efficient and lean and trim the EPISD really portends to be.
The Administrative Cost Ratio is used for the above purpose. Now what is the ACR?
It is a formula and this formula is:
“The administrative cost ratio for a school district is determined by dividing non-federal operating expenditures in general administration and instructional leadership by expenditures in instruction, instructional resources, curriculum, and guidance and counseling functions.”
This seems simple enough doesn’t it. But did you notice the term NON-FEDERAL OPERATING EXPENDITURES.
So when the ACR figure is used to tell the public how well run the district is has something been left out that would change the original message?
In 2009-2010 the EPISD used Federal money to pay for Director Level and Up positions totaling over $1,000,000. Would a million dollars more added to the formula change the numbers? Of course they would.
Last year the EPISD had the 2nd largest costs for administration per student in the State of Texas. And if the cost of living were taken into consideration they jump to the top.
So is this “cheating”?
Is something like this going on in the accountability area of the district?
In my opinion, You bet there is!
Mr. Wever, when was the last time you were in a classroom? You may not be saying that Bowie students are cheaters but you sure do imply it. The progress that is being made at Bowie should not be overshadowed by the comments by you and Mr. Shapleigh. Do you have this much vigor and disgust for other schools? We are on the front lines everyday and we see the good things that are happening with our children. Thank you for your continued support.
Dan Wever

El Paso, TX

#100 Oct 27, 2010
Realbear,

Should the progress at Bowie be exaggerated by district officials at the expense of students that by law are supposed to receive a public education?

Did or does the EPISD have the ability to determine the odds or likelihood of all students taking the TAKS, to Pass, or FAIL. The answer is of course YES!

If these “odds” are expressed in percentages what would a 20% likelihood of passing represent? In case you do not play the horses or bet on football a 20% chance of passing the test would be a 1 in 5 chance.

Not very good odds if you are being graded on how well your students do on the test.

What are the ways a district does not have to count a student’s test score in the accountability ratings?

There are 4 ways, they can be ABSENT, they can get an LEP EXEMPTION, they can have their test coded OTHER or they can be in special education where they are coded NON-ACCT TEST.

Once again let me state that the data for 2009-2010 is still not available to the public but the 3 previous years data is available. I would love to see the latest data for I am sure it would drive the final nail in the coffin. The EPISD sure got rid of INOVA fast when people started talking about what was happening.

Realbear, let me ask you another question.
The last 3 years at Bowie 102 students have had their tests coded OTHER.
Would it make a difference to you if a large percentage of these students were the 20 percenters and had been projected to fail anyway?
Who would benefit by taking these students out of the accountability formula? Certainly not the students, which is why I cannot understand the La Bowie people supporting this possibility.

You can look at the other areas yourself and the same question can be asked on everything probably except the absences.

As for me picking on Bowie. On most of my posts I have offered to send anyone who sent me an e-mail address the data for the whole district. I again say the same thing, but if you are afraid I might find out who you are then you pick 10 other schools and I will try and get the data on a post that people can understand.

The “cheating” is going on all over the EPISD. Some schools do not have to take advantage of knowing which students are going to fail as they don’t have many and can absorb the bad scores but many others including Westside schools are just as bad as Bowie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
happycustomer (May '15) 4 hr Lol 3
Check your tires 8 hr Layla 2
Lindsey Dothan Willet. Sep 27 SHESaHOE 10
Bowie residents should want to make the town be... (Jan '14) Sep 26 wendy 3
new gossip? (Sep '10) Sep 25 Peppy 194
Imposter Santa? (Dec '14) Sep 25 Youarestoopid 2
Women who won't have sex with there husbands (Jun '11) Sep 25 Youarestoopid 56

Bowie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance