EPISD cleared in Bowie HS TAKS test inquiry

Full story: El Paso Times

Texas Education Agency investigators cleared the El Paso Independent School District of allegations that TAKS cheating took place at Bowie High School in 2008.
Comments
61 - 80 of 194 Comments Last updated Jun 24, 2012
nospeakyenglish

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

well, the only reason this cheating issue was brought up is because, well, come on, it's Bowie. Most of the student population there don't know how to speak or write English...
Pepe

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

Only the truth this time,
If there was no cheating, why does Bowie HS have the highest drop out.
2nd Why aren't there more bears going to college, ask every student to take the SAT/ ACT test.
this might be a real measure of education retention.
Bowie's REAL education is on the streets and Jail.
Heard they have a class on filling welfare apps.
Taxes and Education

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

As parents and taxpayers we should all be outraged by the posts of Bowie students. If they can't spell or write complete sentences, how are the Bowie students passing the TAKS exam?

The principal was more concerned about the boys basketball team receiving acolades than describing methods used for Bowei's recognized status.

Bowie should be held to the same standards as Chapin, Burges and the rest of EPISD. Bowie is a premier example of tax dollars at waste. Whatever happened to educating the southside?
Mrs Pepper

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Taxes and Education wrote:
As parents and taxpayers we should all be outraged by the posts of Bowie students. If they can't spell or write complete sentences, how are the Bowie students passing the TAKS exam? Whatever happened to educating the southside?
Its called accomidations and modifications. The admistration is working that angle to the hilt. Yes it is legal until someone gets caught....(wink,wink)
Cujo

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

panchita y panchito wrote:
Hells NOOO!!! Just because we're mexicans doesn't mean you could judge us!! By saying we're cheating on the TAKS ... We will see if you say that again when Bowie is again Recognize on the TAKS this year!!!!
Doesn't it get any clearer than this?
The current Texas school system is not only corrupt, it is broke far beyond repair. We need to end the high cost of unproductiveness by the people we pay through our taxes to provide a service for our community.
Even the local admistrators don't want to hire Texas graduates as teachers. They have to go outside of the state to find functional people.
The only solution to allow the private sector to take over this system. Get rid of the admistrators at the pleasure palace on boeing for a start. UTEP has a hand in what is wrong with this state as most of them are on the local school district's payrolls as well.
Twichild

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

nospeakyenglish wrote:
well, the only reason this cheating issue was brought up is because, well, come on, it's Bowie. Most of the student population there don't know how to speak or write English...
I agree! I was on their campus last week and had a tough time getting around because no one spoke english. How does that happen? This is a campus with academic honors? Someone needs to get homeland security over there.
ralph

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Class of 85, Bowie ROCKS! don't listen to the Haters...
Nordster

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

ralph wrote:
Class of 85, Bowie ROCKS! don't listen to the Haters...
How about that?
Any of you speak english or got a job?
Cd. Juarez in the house, it called Boowhie!
Funny

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

The State investigated Shapleigh's allegations and cleared Bowie HS of wrongdoing. Shapleigh now wants the Feds to investigate.

I think the Feds should investigate..... I also think they should investigate Shapleigh's service as State Senator to make sure he never "cheated" or continues to "cheat."
Joe

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

hey dummies wrote:
<quoted text>
'
That is false. You are so ignorant you don't even know how the system works. It is not possible for a school to "move a kid into special ed catagory". What a dummy you are.
Actually I am right and you would know it if you knew how things work around here. Why don't you explain for us the dismal SAT scores of El Paso students and why UTEP has no admission standards whatsoever.

What they should be required to do is report the ratio of special ed students and number of students not taking the TAKS.

And it as nothing to do with funding because the poor schools in El Paso are given much more per student than the wealthier districts. Absolutely Bowie and other schools like it receive more funding than Coronado and Franklin. Do some research.

The difference is the attitude of the students and the parents. When children succeed, it's mostly because their parents gave a damn. Parents in El Paso tend to be on the lazy side when it comes to preparing their children for school. Many kids are sent to school without knowing numbers, letters, or even English.
Joe

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

And if the Bowie alumni had any real pride, they'd want the standards raised and the cheating stopped. As is very obvious, they only want it kept hushed.

Then they wonder why they were at the bottom in Juarez and they're still at the bottom in El Paso.
Way to go Bears

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Dan Wever wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe,
You are of course correct. The figures are available at the TEA website. Why have the Special Education student numbers jumped so high and why when these numbers increase does the school ranking go up. Is it possible that with all of the benchmark tests given and with special software programs the students that probably going to fail the test were shuffeled into special education?
Why, when Senator Shapleigh brought these things up did the district get rid of INOVA a program that they used for the past 3 years at a cost of over $600,000 to target these possible failing students?
The teachers in the classroom that were instructed to color code their grade books know that the "red" guys were targeted and probably understood why many were put into Special Education status.
Yes, TEA gave the EPISD a clean bill of health but what would you expect from an organization that allows students that fail the TAKS test to be counted as passing because they think the student will pass in the future. TEA is a true JOKE!
If anyone would like to see the figures just e-mail me fwever1@att.net and I will be glad to send them to you.
Pontificating Dan again. You refer people to the TEA website, but you don't read it yourself. Special Ed testing numbers have not gone up. It is suicide for a school to do so. You live in the testing world that existed almost 20 years ago. Things have changed. Wake up. Get a new attitude. Learn.
Way to go Bears

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I am right and you would know it if you knew how things work around here. Why don't you explain for us the dismal SAT scores of El Paso students and why UTEP has no admission standards whatsoever.
What they should be required to do is report the ratio of special ed students and number of students not taking the TAKS.
And it as nothing to do with funding because the poor schools in El Paso are given much more per student than the wealthier districts. Absolutely Bowie and other schools like it receive more funding than Coronado and Franklin. Do some research.
The difference is the attitude of the students and the parents. When children succeed, it's mostly because their parents gave a damn. Parents in El Paso tend to be on the lazy side when it comes to preparing their children for school. Many kids are sent to school without knowing numbers, letters, or even English.
No, you are wrong.
borderline

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Joe wrote:
And if the Bowie alumni had any real pride, they'd want the standards raised and the cheating stopped. As is very obvious, they only want it kept hushed.Then they wonder why they were at the bottom in Juarez and they're still at the bottom in El Paso.
Because higher education in the US is much lower priced than it is in Juarez. Besides from what I heard, those teachers over there expect you to work and they also expect you to follow rules.
Dan Wever

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Way to go Bears wrote:
<quoted text>
Pontificating Dan again. You refer people to the TEA website, but you don't read it yourself. Special Ed testing numbers have not gone up. It is suicide for a school to do so. You live in the testing world that existed almost 20 years ago. Things have changed. Wake up. Get a new attitude. Learn.
I am starting to understand why you Bears do not use real names. Yes things have changed. In 2006-2007 there were 2,076 students labeled NON-ACCT TEST in the EPISD.
In 2007-2008 there were 2,419 an increase of 343 or 16.5% which represents the increase of students that were not counted in the accountability ratings given to the public. In words you can understand they were added to the Special Education rolls. These two figures for just Bowie were 42 and 31 or an increase of 35%

It will be interesting to see what the figures do in 2009-2010 which are not available yet but it is possible they did not increase as much as I suspect because the TEA allows students that do not pass to be counted as passing if anyone thinks they might pass in the future.
Bleed Blue

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Funny wrote:
The State investigated Shapleigh's allegations and cleared Bowie HS of wrongdoing. Shapleigh now wants the Feds to investigate.
I think the Feds should investigate..... I also think they should investigate Shapleigh's service as State Senator to make sure he never "cheated" or continues to "cheat."
Funny, that the Bowie students, can't read, write or spell yet they're well tutored to pass the TAKS with a minimum passing score and you find this acceptable.

Visit the campus, shadow a student, eat lunch in the cafeteria. The school atmosphere is similar to a feria in Mexico. The administration, faculty and staff converse in spanish with the students further enabling them.

Senator Shapleigh has done is not wrong, he has no personal gain for wanting the students of the southside to have a quality education so they can be productive citizens of society. Funny how its ok for Bowie students to have low standards.
bowie alumni

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

La Bowie is doing great, majority of faculty and staff are Bowie grads and SISD teachers.
Sally

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2010

Judged:

Bleed Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
Visit the campus, shadow a student, eat lunch in the cafeteria. The school atmosphere is similar to a feria in Mexico. The administration, faculty and staff converse in spanish with the students further enabling them.
Amazing how this overpaid system in education can call itself a success with this going on. Yet, they have the gall to ask for more money from the tax payers of this community. It is time for all the people of this paying entity to tell them to go home. Go back to Mexico where they belong.
Take the admistration, his ilk, and law breaking cronies back to Dallas. It is too expensive to have them as our employees. If they can't live on the salaries we throw at them they also seem to want to reside in our jails as well. Please go away we can find other people to rob and abuse us at a lower cost.
high five

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2010

Judged:

Thats why My kids go to a private school and if yall have something to say about EPISD u would start paying for a better education for your kids too. And dont look on how other schools aré doing look at how your child is doing not others
Jesus

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2010

Judged:

big black guy wrote:
bowie is cheating ok all u guy from el paso school district can go to all hell
I dont know your name , but you shouldn't talk about Bowie that way . There are many Bowie students that try hard to pass those TASK i was one of those students . Once a bear always a bear

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nate lewis 2 hr bobby 17
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 3 hr Larry Grover 22,212
Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 hr Defiant1 17,739
Kiser sisters 18 hr angela 9
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Fri Liberal forever 511
Cross Timbers Vet Fri dumb and dumber 11
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) Thu Gasman 523

Search the Bowie Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Bowie Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bowie People Search