EPISD cleared in Bowie HS TAKS test inquiry

Full story: El Paso Times

Texas Education Agency investigators cleared the El Paso Independent School District of allegations that TAKS cheating took place at Bowie High School in 2008.
Comments
41 - 60 of 194 Comments Last updated Jun 24, 2012
panchito y panchita

El Paso, TX

#41 Oct 22, 2010
I think your dumb, just becsause in the past years Bowie had bad scores and last year we got recognize and bowie is one of the best schools know everyone is saying that we cheated HELL NOOO!!!! just because were mexicans doesnt mean that we can do better than other schools!!! i think thats been raisist I HATE WHITE BOYS that think MEXICANS arent smart!!!
panchita y panchito

El Paso, TX

#42 Oct 22, 2010
Hells NOOO!!! Just because we're mexicans doesn't mean you could judge us!! By saying we're cheating on the TAKS ... We will see if you say that again when Bowie is again Recognize on the TAKS this year!!!!
cynthia

El Paso, TX

#43 Oct 22, 2010
Shapleigh is thinking that just because Bowie High School wants to progress in the TAKS scores that does mean that Bowie is cheating. Shame on you Shapleigh. Get a life and STOP >:( TALKING ABOUT BOWIE!!!!! Why do you only talk about Bowie? What's your problem? Just because the only word in your vocabulary is Bowie that doesn't mean you have to talk smack about us. WHAT do you have against us.
Maybe you wished you were a Bear???
Cha ching

El Paso, TX

#44 Oct 22, 2010
hey dummies wrote:
<quoted text>
'
That is false. You are so ignorant you don't even know how the system works. It is not possible for a school to "move a kid into special ed catagory". What a dummy you are.
I was going to say the same thing. You can't just move a kid into the special ed category, it takes an entire committee and a crap load of paperwork.
Hacksaw

United States

#45 Oct 22, 2010
The Taks is not the end, only a beginning. Let's see how the SAT scores from Bowie and other "barrio" schools have improved, assuming they have. Has the percentage of kids from "barrio" schools needs remedial courses on the college level changed for the better? I hope that all the kids continue to strive for improvement and not rest on the TAKS accomplishment.
Huh

El Paso, TX

#46 Oct 22, 2010
panchito y panchita wrote:
I think your dumb, just becsause in the past years Bowie had bad scores and last year we got recognize and bowie is one of the best schools know everyone is saying that we cheated HELL NOOO!!!! just because were mexicans doesnt mean that we can do better than other schools!!! i think thats been raisist I HATE WHITE BOYS that think MEXICANS arent smart!!!
DAMN girl you did go to Bowie you can't SPELL worth SHITZZ! Its racist not raisist!! Who is the racist by saying I Hate White Boys?? Now get back to class and learn ENGLISH.
Tonto ilegales mexicanos
You are a dumbass

El Paso, TX

#47 Oct 22, 2010
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
DAMN girl you did go to Bowie you can't SPELL worth SHITZZ! Its racist not raisist!! Who is the racist by saying I Hate White Boys?? Now get back to class and learn ENGLISH.
Tonto ilegales mexicanos
Maybe YOU should do the same?
Dan Wever

El Paso, TX

#48 Oct 22, 2010
I am surprised that so many young people from Bowie think that anyone said that the students at Bowie were cheating.

Shapleigh did not say this and I have not said this but what I do say is that the numbers of students tested and the exemptions that are given to students and the putting of students into Special Education in order to avoid taking the test or have the test not counted in the results has happened.

• The students and even most teachers at Bowie do not know why 59 students who sat down and were ready to take the test did not get to complete it in 2006-2007.

The tests were taken up and coded "OTHER" which is defined : Tests may not be scored due to illness during testing or other test administration irregularities.

The next year this figure dropped to 34 and the last year this type of information is available 2008-2009 it was 9 students.

Another area where student tests were not counted in the results given to the public was “Non-Accountability Test” These are special education students and 7 were counted in 06-07. In 07-08 the number jumped to 31 and again the last year figures are available 08-09 it jumped to 42 students.

Now when you realize that the EPISD had the ability and in fact did target students as “projected to fail” you would have to ask yourself if you are being honest, how many of these students who had there tests coded “OTHER and NON-ACCT TEST were students that were projected to fail?

If anyone would ask the EPISD for this information about who these students were and what was their rating or target score from the INOVA software do you think the EPISD would give it to you?

Of course they would not because it would show what they have been doing concerning juggling the figures to make the scores look better and they would use student confidentiality as the reason.

The only people that could probably get this information is the Federal Government and I am not even sure the data is still available since the EPISD got rid of INOVA as soon as Shapleigh made his charges.

And these things did not just happen at Bowie they happened all over the district. What made Bowie a target was the large decrease of 9th grade students in the year Shapleigh was looking at. 55% of the 9th graders did not make it to the 10 grade for the tests.

When the figures are available for 2009-2010 I am sure the results will mirror what the EPISD was doing before to increase scores.
I

Bowie Spouse

El Paso, TX

#49 Oct 22, 2010
There are too many ignorant posts, is a bowie teacher allowing their students to post comments during class time?
Bowie has been audited 3 times, new policies and procedures have been put in place, kudos to Sen. Shapleigh for wanting Bowie students to have the same high standards as the rest of EPISD.
Now that a federal investigation will occur, maybe the situation at Bowie will improve. Maybe Bowie will follow the same district guidelines and policies as other EPISD schools. Time will tell.
In reality Bowie needs a breath of fresh air, bring in an entire new faculty, staff and administration.
Bowie Spouse ALSO

El Paso, TX

#50 Oct 22, 2010
Bowie Spouse wrote:
There are too many ignorant posts, is a bowie teacher allowing their students to post comments during class time?
Bowie has been audited 3 times, new policies and procedures have been put in place, kudos to Sen. Shapleigh for wanting Bowie students to have the same high standards as the rest of EPISD.
Now that a federal investigation will occur, maybe the situation at Bowie will improve. Maybe Bowie will follow the same district guidelines and policies as other EPISD schools. Time will tell.
In reality Bowie needs a breath of fresh air, bring in an entire new faculty, staff and administration.
Bowie HAS been audited 3 times and they have found NOTHING! The rest of EPISD is actually following what Bowie does since they have been so successful in raising their scores. About 80% of the faculty is new (3 years or less), including the principal, 2 assistant principals, counselors and office staff. This may be why they are doing so well? But of course, you wouldn't know anything about this since you are not involved with the school. You wouldn't know how hard the teachers and students are working.

Don't comment on this because you DO NOT KNOW!
whatever

El Paso, TX

#51 Oct 22, 2010
People think they cheated because they were getting ready to be taken over by the state and then the next year they're recognized that's why people think they cheated....to say that they were hiding students well that imposible ..they have to take the test even they're absent they still have to take it..
time

El Paso, TX

#52 Oct 22, 2010
Shapleigh go back to austin with the other political knuckleheads and leave us alone. The only reason you quit lawyering is because you couldn't make money bottom feeding so you got into politics. The crowds you draw now are crowds of flies. We all know the students didn't cheat. Go OSOS!
Casper

United States

#53 Oct 22, 2010
they expect for bowie to pass and when we do this is what happens. so we should of just failed to make them happy. c/o 07
Synthetic

El Paso, TX

#54 Oct 22, 2010
Shapleigh 0 Garcia 1 FINAL SCORE

Oddly, I once liked Shapleigh and, for a short while, disliked Garcia. Now it is just the opposite.

Shapleigh's mindless and vicious attacks have not only demeaned Bowie and all its students and teachers, but was at least on factor in the failure of the TIF election. That failure hurts every student and teacher in EPISD and the hurt will continue every year for the next several years.

My only vote for Shapleigh now is to leave town.
XMX

United States

#55 Oct 22, 2010
Does Dan Wever get wood everytime he posts?
Get Quiet

United States

#56 Oct 22, 2010
Dan Wever wrote:
I am surprised that so many young people from Bowie think that anyone said that the students at Bowie were cheating.
Shapleigh did not say this and I have not said this but what I do say is that the numbers of students tested and the exemptions that are given to students and the putting of students into Special Education in order to avoid taking the test or have the test not counted in the results has happened.
• The students and even most teachers at Bowie do not know why 59 students who sat down and were ready to take the test did not get to complete it in 2006-2007.
The tests were taken up and coded "OTHER" which is defined : Tests may not be scored due to illness during testing or other test administration irregularities.
The next year this figure dropped to 34 and the last year this type of information is available 2008-2009 it was 9 students.
Another area where student tests were not counted in the results given to the public was “Non-Accountability Test” These are special education students and 7 were counted in 06-07. In 07-08 the number jumped to 31 and again the last year figures are available 08-09 it jumped to 42 students.
Now when you realize that the EPISD had the ability and in fact did target students as “projected to fail” you would have to ask yourself if you are being honest, how many of these students who had there tests coded “OTHER and NON-ACCT TEST were students that were projected to fail?
If anyone would ask the EPISD for this information about who these students were and what was their rating or target score from the INOVA software do you think the EPISD would give it to you?
Of course they would not because it would show what they have been doing concerning juggling the figures to make the scores look better and they would use student confidentiality as the reason.
The only people that could probably get this information is the Federal Government and I am not even sure the data is still available since the EPISD got rid of INOVA as soon as Shapleigh made his charges.
And these things did not just happen at Bowie they happened all over the district. What made Bowie a target was the large decrease of 9th grade students in the year Shapleigh was looking at. 55% of the 9th graders did not make it to the 10 grade for the tests.
When the figures are available for 2009-2010 I am sure the results will mirror what the EPISD was doing before to increase scores.
I
When you say at the end of your post "I am sure the results will mirror..." Did you not read the paper today Dan? It's still not enough for you and Shap? If I searched back through your myriad of posts over the past few months on this subject, I bet I would find a bunch referring to the concept of "just wait till TEA gets a hold of this!" Well??? Get Quiet!
parent

AOL

#57 Oct 22, 2010
Bowie Spouse ALSO wrote:
<quoted text>
Bowie HAS been audited 3 times and they have found NOTHING! The rest of EPISD is actually following what Bowie does since they have been so successful in raising their scores. About 80% of the faculty is new (3 years or less), including the principal, 2 assistant principals, counselors and office staff. This may be why they are doing so well? But of course, you wouldn't know anything about this since you are not involved with the school. You wouldn't know how hard the teachers and students are working.
Don't comment on this because you DO NOT KNOW!
If this is true how sad for EPISD, all Bowie is doing is tutoring students to pass the TAKS, academics are watered down, maybe the actual scores should be posted so all can see that the Bowie students are passing with a minimum score. How many Bowie students are attending college or a technical program? Bowie's main focus is for the students to pass the TAKS, big difference from being academic students.
Bleed Blue

El Paso, TX

#58 Oct 22, 2010
why hasn't Bowie and EPISD been a Broad finalist with all the success Bowie has achieved?
why hasn't Bowie had a teacher of the year finalist?
where is Bowie's national merit scholar?
Bobby Bushay

El Paso, TX

#59 Oct 22, 2010
I am an ex alumus de Buwwy and dey tol me dat I scored a 1650 on my SAT's and dat i em smort. But I can't even speel. Is somebuddy padding de books at Buwwy so dat they can get money from de federal government? I think so cuz i'm not smort.
Dan Wever

El Paso, TX

#60 Oct 22, 2010
Get Quiet wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say at the end of your post "I am sure the results will mirror..." Did you not read the paper today Dan? It's still not enough for you and Shap? If I searched back through your myriad of posts over the past few months on this subject, I bet I would find a bunch referring to the concept of "just wait till TEA gets a hold of this!" Well??? Get Quiet!
Get Quite or did you mean Keep quite?

Let me know if you find anything about me putting any faith in the TEA finding anything. I have given them millions of dollars of shady deals and gave them advance warning about Medicaid fraud and even showed them where the EPISD was breaking the law with their pay practices.

The only thing they ever found was that on one of the deals I pointed out to them the EPISD had overpaid the company $20,000.

What most people do not understand is that the TEA thinks that if 7 people (trustees) look at something and see nothing wrong with it then it is not their job to look at it again.

You also have to realize that the TEA is very political. It is their job to make the guy in office look good at any cost.

The guys on the Medicaid deal pled guilty to felonies and a lot of people are probably still waiting for the hammer to fall in the corruption investigation.

As for the mirror comment what I meant was the results will look similar to what we have already seen at Bowie. The number of students tested dropping the last three years and where data is available 06-07, 07-08, and 08-09 from 1,006 to 874 to 775 and at the same time having the percentage of students not counted in the AEIS ratings going from 9% to 11% to 14%.

If I lived in South El Paso I would want to know what is happening to the 14% of our children that are not being counted in the results but I guess it is much easier to badmouth someone who is trying to help these 14% because it seems nobody else cares what has happened to them or what will happen in the future.

I truly feel sorry for you people!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 2 hr fubar 22,288
Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr fubar 17,877
City of Bowie, spend that money! 4 hr Rayna 8
burger kitchen (Dec '11) 5 hr Meet 40
Bowie Boys 6 hr Montague 5
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 8 hr Wow Wee 524
TX Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in T... (Oct '10) 9 hr That Fart Guy 722
•••
•••
Bowie Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Bowie Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bowie People Search