EPISD cleared in Bowie HS TAKS test inquiry

Texas Education Agency investigators cleared the El Paso Independent School District of allegations that TAKS cheating took place at Bowie High School in 2008. Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Willie

El Paso, TX

#1 Oct 22, 2010
Give it a rest Shapleigh, enough already!
Way to go Bears

El Paso, TX

#2 Oct 22, 2010
Will Shapleigh ever shut up? He slanders the schools and is told officially, twice, that cheating did NOT happen. Yet, he still can't admit when he's wrong. Shapleigh, find your rock to hide under. Your an embarrassment to El Paso.
Way to go Bears

El Paso, TX

#3 Oct 22, 2010
You're an embarrassment to El Paso, Shapleigh.
hey dummies

El Paso, TX

#4 Oct 22, 2010
I knew they would be cleared because the things Shap accused them of are not possible if you know anything about testing procedures of this test. Thousands of ISD employees city wide know that Shap was wrong and what he said could not possibly have happened. There are too many checks and rechecks involved. Every single thing is documented, checked, rechecked and signed off on my multiple people.

Shap has lost the support of thousands of hard working honest people by insulting them.
Joe

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 22, 2010
Bowie isn't the only school cheating. Most of the schools do move normal IQ children into the "special ed" category if there are any doubts they will pass the TAKS. Look how many schools are passing TAKS compared with the dismal SAT scores.
eastside resident

United States

#6 Oct 22, 2010
Shapleigh, can you ever just shut up? Instead of doing positive work for this city, you embarrass the people who have worked hard to succeed at this school. Shame on you!
Bowie Bear

United States

#7 Oct 22, 2010
Shame on you, Shapleigh. Shame, shame, shame!!!
Bowie Alumnus

United States

#8 Oct 22, 2010
The Bowie Alumni will never support Shapleigh again. Shapleigh and his cronies are mean-spirited people. As alumnus, the principal has shared with me first hand all of the allegations. I have heard of dirty politics, but Shapleigh is the dirtiest political animal I have ever seen. It's all about politics. As an alumnus, I have been at the school numerous times and see these poverty stricken kids working hard and full of spirit. I see the teachers working hard with a smile on their face, so proud. Don't let Shapleigh take your pride away and demean the hard work you all have put forth. Once a Bear, Always a Bear!
M de la O

United States

#9 Oct 22, 2010
Joe wrote:
Bowie isn't the only school cheating. Most of the schools do move normal IQ children into the "special ed" category if there are any doubts they will pass the TAKS. Look how many schools are passing TAKS compared with the dismal SAT scores.
EPISD is working its spin doctors sooo hard right now amid the scandals and misconduct of its employees. Cheating on TAKS is the least of their worries right now. They are going to ask for more money from the city in an effort to better themselves.
The voters of this city are not impressed with Dr Garcia's diplomas or his friends from Dallas. He has worn out his welcome here. He needs to take his puppets with him as well. We cannot afford to keep yes men board of trustees where they are.
Dan Wever

El Paso, TX

#10 Oct 22, 2010
Joe wrote:
Joe,
You are of course correct. The figures are available at the TEA website. Why have the Special Education student numbers jumped so high and why when these numbers increase does the school ranking go up. Is it possible that with all of the benchmark tests given and with special software programs the students that probably going to fail the test were shuffeled into special education?

Why, when Senator Shapleigh brought these things up did the district get rid of INOVA a program that they used for the past 3 years at a cost of over $600,000 to target these possible failing students?

The teachers in the classroom that were instructed to color code their grade books know that the "red" guys were targeted and probably understood why many were put into Special Education status.

Yes, TEA gave the EPISD a clean bill of health but what would you expect from an organization that allows students that fail the TAKS test to be counted as passing because they think the student will pass in the future. TEA is a true JOKE!

If anyone would like to see the figures just e-mail me fwever1@att.net and I will be glad to send them to you.
Beto

El Paso, TX

#11 Oct 22, 2010
Don't die on this hill Eliot. If you intend to provide any more public service or appear as a leader for El Paso, please walk away from this effort. You appear vindictive and hateful towards Garcia. You have made this thing personal and if that is the case then come out and say it. Because we all know that your ego has been damaged and now you are working to discredit EPISD over something that has little impact on the system but has a huge effect on the parents, teachers and students at Bowie. Leave us alone. You have become a monster and a very negative person in our community. It is sad because I know you love El Paso, but you have now tarnished your image and identity to the point where many of us loyal supporters have lost faith and belief in your leadership and words of encouragement. Please retreat gracefully so that you can restore our trust in you. May God bless you and that you find a peaceful state of mind.
Maude C

United States

#12 Oct 22, 2010
Beto wrote:
Don't die on this hill Eliot. If you intend to provide any more public service or appear as a leader for El Paso, please walk away from this effort. You appear vindictive and hateful towards Garcia. You have made this thing personal and if that is the case then come out and say it. Because we all know that your ego has been damaged and now you are working to discredit EPISD over something that has little impact on the system but has a huge effect on the parents, teachers and students at Bowie. Leave us alone. You have become a monster and a very negative person in our community. It is sad because I know you love El Paso, but you have now tarnished your image and identity to the point where many of us loyal supporters have lost faith and belief in your leadership and words of encouragement. Please retreat gracefully so that you can restore our trust in you. May God bless you and that you find a peaceful state of mind.
I completely agree with Beto - Shap lost, Garcia won. That's the tough truth for Camp Shap. The state senator needs to move on, especially since he is not seeking re-election. To keep moving forward with this is simply hubris.
Dr Montelongo

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 22, 2010
The real question is why the state creates the conditions that would drive schools to cheat. The state has mandated testing that does not allow teachers to teach or students to learn. Many teachers and students are stressed out over all these tests. What is needed for low-performing schools is better student-to-teachers and more after-school programs and resources for the underprivileged students who don't have computers at home or parents to teach them.
In California, where funding schools is not a priority, there are now kindergarten classrooms with 35 students to very teacher. What message does that convey to the students.
It is all a question of racial prejudice. The poor are condemned to the worst schooling--worst schools, worst teachers, least resources. The rich will always be able to pay for the best schooling. The Republicans know this. That is why they want to take more money from the public schools and invest more money in the charter schools.
Save the children of the poor. Vote for Democrats
El Paso - El Paso

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 22, 2010
We all know Shap reasons for the feud.

One of Shap's (soon to laid off) staffers obviously wanted an EPISD job. They didn't get it.

Shap made a call sent and/ot s letter and EPISD ignored him. That's not how things are done in El Paso. The good old boys system of patronage is important.

Hence Shap went to war and made a private disagreement public with massive repercussions across this city.
hey dummies

El Paso, TX

#15 Oct 22, 2010
Joe wrote:
'
That is false. You are so ignorant you don't even know how the system works. It is not possible for a school to "move a kid into special ed catagory". What a dummy you are.
sorry dan

El Paso, TX

#16 Oct 22, 2010
Dan Wever wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe,
You are of course correct. The figures are available at the TEA website. Why have the Special Education student numbers jumped so high and why when these numbers increase does the school ranking go up. Is it possible that with all of the benchmark tests given and with special software programs the students that probably going to fail the test were shuffeled into special education?
Why, when Senator Shapleigh brought these things up did the district get rid of INOVA a program that they used for the past 3 years at a cost of over $600,000 to target these possible failing students?
The teachers in the classroom that were instructed to color code their grade books know that the "red" guys were targeted and probably understood why many were put into Special Education status.
Yes, TEA gave the EPISD a clean bill of health but what would you expect from an organization that allows students that fail the TAKS test to be counted as passing because they think the student will pass in the future. TEA is a true JOKE!
If anyone would like to see the figures just e-mail me fwever1@att.net and I will be glad to send them to you.
Sorry Dan, you are wrong about this one. Your information is 100% false.
time

El Paso, TX

#17 Oct 22, 2010
Shap and friends caused alot of damage to be done prior to the TRE. His witchhunt tactics caused the district to lose millions in funding.

The investigation clears EPISD, an appeal has been filed with the feds and the results will be pending for months if not longer. Next year, the district will face further cuts in the budget which will cause significant job cuts, larger class sizes less supportive services. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this will cause a drop in test scores and educational quality. The district will be in trouble again as it will not meet test score guidelines, compliance with regard to services that must be provided to students and other unfunded mandates.

Mr Shapleigh used tactics that will result in 63,000 students to suffer. You sir are the worst kind of coward! Please run for another office so you can be embarassed by being whipped in the polls.
fofoy

El Paso, TX

#18 Oct 22, 2010
bowie isn't the only school that is cheating

So bowie is not
The only cheating
On anything
Please STOP making bowie a cheating school
BOTELLO

El Paso, TX

#19 Oct 22, 2010
bowie has never cheated on anything so stop hating and mine your own buissness
vanessa

El Paso, TX

#20 Oct 22, 2010
Bowie isn't cheating. If you don't have any evidence DON'T SPEAK OK?(;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Bad butt Johnny 19,131
Valley of the Caddo Museum and Cultural Center ... 2 hr Earl 6
AT&T U-verse 7 hr mike 3
Saint Jo chief resigns (Nov '12) Sat golden_on_ridge 3
Rodeo Accidents (Jun '11) Oct 17 sure 17
who knows heather hood? Oct 17 starsnstripes 8
New city. Of Bowie code compliance Oct 16 Bowiepeace 31
Bowie Dating
Find my Match

Bowie Jobs

Bowie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bowie News, Events & Info