shooting in bowie
Somebody

Wichita Falls, TX

#63 Oct 15, 2013
just asking for thoughts wrote:
I am curious, if everyone that reads this will for just one minute put yourself the place of a highschooler the age of any one of these kids involved....think bout from the secnd that shot rang out to right now....what would be a just punishment for you in that situation? What sentence could be handed to you that would do any good? or turn back the hands of time? or make anything any different?
Would being locked up for 20 years bring Nate Maki back? Would it make a difference if the girls were charged with a crime?
Do you not thnk for one second these kids lives have FOREVER been changed?!?!?!?!
In a split second four young lives were changed F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!!! not to mention the lives of ther family and friends.
What good is sending a kid to jail for up to 20 years? He will live in torment for the rest of his live and nothing can change that.
Please, everyone r3espond - good or bad, I want to know what you think.
I do not think this kid will be sentenced to 20 years even if he is found guilty. However, I think all these kids deserve some type of punishment. Community supervision for several years would be ideal because after the devastation they witnessed they would be more likely to get involved with more alcohol, drugs, etc...I know they will be tormented themselves for the rest of their lives. How sad....
know your facts

Bowie, TX

#64 Oct 16, 2013
Its so amusing how a lot of the people on here act like they are so holy. Really????? There are so many of us that in our youth have gone out and drank, gone hog hunting or back roading, fortunately, I never had an accident like this happen. But quit getting on here preaching about how wrong these kids were and how they should be given the harshest punishment. Am I saying they don't need to get in trouble?, no, but damn they are kids, it was an accident, they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives and no punishment could ever match that. I hope none of your loved ones ever have to be on the giving end, like the underwood kid is, then maybe you would have a little bit of sympathy for what they are going thru. All you can do is educate your children and hope nothing like this will ever happen to your loved ones, either side.
heyya

Atlanta, GA

#65 Oct 16, 2013
The 2 girls broke more laws than Underwood did. Underage drinking. Leaving the scene of an accident. And the girl who was driving was driving under the influence. So why the hell aren't they getting in trouble? And im not saying they need to be sent to prison hell i don't want to see the Underwood kid go to prison. But i do believe they need stiff probation, alcohol awareness classes & community service
Wondering

United States

#66 Oct 16, 2013
Were there any statements as to why the young girls just left? Did they leave after the shooting had taken place? I agree, they did break laws too and should have some consequences as well.
heyya

Atlanta, GA

#67 Oct 16, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Were there any statements as to why the young girls just left? Did they leave after the shooting had taken place? I agree, they did break laws too and should have some consequences as well.
Yes there were statements from Sheriff Cunningham he stated the girls said the left because their bestfriend got shot and they were scared. And yes the left after the shooting happen
I bet

Wichita Falls, TX

#68 Oct 16, 2013
Bet Billy is keepin Petie out of trouble. Such bullshit. Why aren't this kids parents raising hell
Just curious

Saint Louis, MO

#69 Oct 18, 2013
Who is Billy?
bunch of bull

Wichita Falls, TX

#70 Oct 19, 2013
The way Bowie works I'm sure nothing will be said or done about the two girls. And I'm also sure the kid won't get 18 years. Honestly I think he should. The poor kid he shot doesn't have any chance at living a life anymore. He was only 18 so I think its only fair he give up 18 years of his life. Why should he get a slap on the wrist and the two girls get away scott free? What kind of message does that send? Oh yeah its okay we can drink and shoot guns. The worst that could happen is someone loses their life and then we just get community service. No big deal. You want kids or people in general to be more cautious about this stuff? Then its time to make an example out of these three kids. Yeah they may go to prison but at least they will still be alive unlike the other kid. They would eventually get out and THEN have the rest of their lives ahead of them. I am a parent and I'm not afraid to say if something like that happened to my kid you bet your ass I would want those kids locked away. I understand people make mistakes but this one got a kid killed.
bull

Wichita Falls, TX

#71 Oct 20, 2013
I just heard from some people I know in Denton that the kids got their alcohol that night from Nate's mother. This is the reason why the parents of the shot kid are not throwing a fit about charges on these other kids, because she is possibly facing charges for that. If true, she ultimately in a way caused her own sons death. I've read all of the comments on here and I pray that some of you are never put in this position, you think you would do the right thing. You don't know what you would do when you are in shock. How do we know those 2 girls were drinking? How do we know they didn't have service on their phones and HAD to leave to get help? I'm not an idiot to think they most definitely were not drinking, but we don't know for sure. I have AT&T and get patchy service in spots around Bowie so the thing about no service could be true. Btw...why does the report list them both as 18. Not true...Demi turned 19 in JULY. Petey is 17 I believe. I'm just curious, this is a minor thing compared to everything else in this case. I pray for healing in this case, these kids will have to relive that moment for many years to come. It could be a good thing or vice versa. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. Ultimately we don't need to judge, it's a sad situation for all involved. I pray my child is never in a situation like this.
Rancher

Waxahachie, TX

#72 Oct 20, 2013
bull wrote:
I just heard from some people I know in Denton that the kids got their alcohol that night from Nate's mother. This is the reason why the parents of the shot kid are not throwing a fit about charges on these other kids, because she is possibly facing charges for that. If true, she ultimately in a way caused her own sons death. I've read all of the comments on here and I pray that some of you are never put in this position, you think you would do the right thing. You don't know what you would do when you are in shock. How do we know those 2 girls were drinking? How do we know they didn't have service on their phones and HAD to leave to get help? I'm not an idiot to think they most definitely were not drinking, but we don't know for sure. I have AT&T and get patchy service in spots around Bowie so the thing about no service could be true. Btw...why does the report list them both as 18. Not true...Demi turned 19 in JULY. Petey is 17 I believe. I'm just curious, this is a minor thing compared to everything else in this case. I pray for healing in this case, these kids will have to relive that moment for many years to come. It could be a good thing or vice versa. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. Ultimately we don't need to judge, it's a sad situation for all involved. I pray my child is never in a situation like this.
You have some very valid points here and although I am sorry for the loss of Maki's life, I'll bet he was drinking right along with Underwood and the girls. Where are the results of his BAC? Every picture I've seen of him, if not holding a football or his alleged long time steady girlfriend, he's holding a beer. that right there proves he drank underage and it was okay. Just because he is a victim does not excuse the fact that he also was in the wrong. All of them were in the wrong, but kids learn from their elders and if they were all shown and taught that boozing it up and using firearms or hunting in the dark go hand in hand, then they were doing what they thought was okay and following by example. What bothers me the most is that no older adults or relatives cared enough or thought about checking on these kids, when certain ones knew where they were. IMO, there are many to blame for this other than just the Underwood kid and the girls.
Mike

United States

#73 Oct 20, 2013
Anyone that knowingly allows that to happen on their property is sure foolish.
bull

Wichita Falls, TX

#74 Oct 20, 2013
Rancher wrote:
<quoted text>You have some very valid points here and although I am sorry for the loss of Maki's life, I'll bet he was drinking right along with Underwood and the girls. Where are the results of his BAC? Every picture I've seen of him, if not holding a football or his alleged long time steady girlfriend, he's holding a beer. that right there proves he drank underage and it was okay. Just because he is a victim does not excuse the fact that he also was in the wrong. All of them were in the wrong, but kids learn from their elders and if they were all shown and taught that boozing it up and using firearms or hunting in the dark go hand in hand, then they were doing what they thought was okay and following by example. What bothers me the most is that no older adults or relatives cared enough or thought about checking on these kids, when certain ones knew where they were. IMO, there are many to blame for this other than just the Underwood kid and the girls.
Totally agree with all that you said.
Denton Buddy

Dallas, TX

#75 Oct 22, 2013
Demi was paired up with Nate and Petey was paired up with Bryce that night. Peyton Bucklew made sure she was in every picture or article claiming to be Nate's girlfriend. Maybe she thought she still was, but Nate had a relationship with Demi all along.
ummyea

United States

#76 Oct 22, 2013
Denton Buddy wrote:
Demi was paired up with Nate and Petey was paired up with Bryce that night. Peyton Bucklew made sure she was in every picture or article claiming to be Nate's girlfriend. Maybe she thought she still was, but Nate had a relationship with Demi all along.
What does this have to do with anything? And for Demi to be messing around with another girls boyfriend makes her even more of a sorry person.
LOL

Saint Louis, MO

#77 Oct 23, 2013
ummyea wrote:
<quoted text> What does this have to do with anything? And for Demi to be messing around with another girls boyfriend makes her even more of a sorry person.
Probably because everyone seems to be making this out to be just a freakin hunting trip and I don't think that's all there was to it. Last I knew Demi and Petey were not avid hunters and wouldn't even get close to a dead bird or animal,never mind shoot one, so you tell me why they were along and camping out with the guys. I'd also like to see a picture of the "campsite".
Yep

Wichita Falls, TX

#78 Oct 24, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably because everyone seems to be making this out to be just a freakin hunting trip and I don't think that's all there was to it. Last I knew Demi and Petey were not avid hunters and wouldn't even get close to a dead bird or animal,never mind shoot one, so you tell me why they were along and camping out with the guys. I'd also like to see a picture of the "campsite".
Apparently you don't know Petie very well
bull

Wichita Falls, TX

#79 Oct 25, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>Probably because everyone seems to be making this out to be just a freakin hunting trip and I don't think that's all there was to it. Last I knew Demi and Petey were not avid hunters and wouldn't even get close to a dead bird or animal,never mind shoot one, so you tell me why they were along and camping out with the guys. I'd also like to see a picture of the "campsite".
Yes...apparently you don't know Petie. She has been hunting since she was pretty small with her dad.
LOL

Saint Louis, MO

#80 Oct 25, 2013
Ya'll are right, Petie has been around hunting, and it has been a few years since I last hung around with her, but at that time, she didn't seem to be all that into it. I just agree with DB and that the news and media and even the police seemed like they were trying to ignore the wrong doing and leading everyone to believe this was some serious hunting trip and only that.
warlock

Killeen, TX

#81 Oct 26, 2013
I noticed a post on here that stated that if a person knowingly allows people to drink and shoot guns on their property is foolish. Well, there are a lot of foolish land owners in this county. I know of one person in particular that allows certain teens to use his property to drink and shoot guns. I'm waiting for the day that the police have to respond to the property located at Hwy 101 and Grigsby on the east side of the railroad tracks. Those kids are there almost every weekend. I wont mention any names (renniks)(hehehe).
Really

Wichita Falls, TX

#82 Oct 28, 2013
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you don't know Petie very well
I would agree that they must not know Petie very well. I have known her her whole life and she has been hunting and fishing since she was a little kid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Veronica Benson 18 hr Jesterjoker 1
nocona er Jun 22 will boogie 5
Bowie DPS women (Oct '15) Jun 22 kayla 4
Allen Sherrer Jun 21 Wondering 1
Justin Brodie and Landon Scruggs Jun 20 Becca 2
Nate Lewis Jun 20 Leaping-Lemurs 1
Rustic Acres out 81 Jun 14 Shakinghouse 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bowie Mortgages