Pump It Up In Lanham - Horrible Exper...

Pump It Up In Lanham - Horrible Experience!

Posted in the Bowie Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DIS

Columbus, IN

#1 Apr 27, 2009
When I took my two year old for "pop in play" it was nice. So, I scheduled my daughters Birthday party and it was a DISASTER!! Don't waste your $300+++ IT IS NOT WORTH IT.!! The staff were RUDE AND DECEITFUL!! Once they they have your credit card number, which you have to give them as a deposit, that's it, your stuck! No refunds, and if you have an emergency and have to cancel, they tell you, THEY WILL STILL CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD ANYWAY, EVEN IF YOU DON'T SHOW UP! And the extra charges are ridiculous!!! Everything is charged to your original card, and the pizza prices are much higher than the store they get them from. You have no control over anything there. They expect your children to jump for 1 HOUR AND 20 MINUTES with no break in the play rooms, while parents or children are not even allowed to sit in the party room to rest/wait. Not even to drink bottled water in between, nothing, your expected to just wait in the play room the entire time. Only at the very end are you allowed in the party room,(parents cannot even put their coats in there until the end). Even though you pay for the pizza and drinks etc. you STILL cannot bring any other food in with you!!! Only dry prepackaged snacks, veggies etc . Then you get a very short time there, then are charged something like $30 for every 15 minutes you remain in the party room. It is stupid, and not worth the money. Other locations may be ok, but Lanham is a trap, don't go!!
tanishia

Columbus, IN

#2 Apr 27, 2009
I liked the drop in playtime for my 4 yr old, but I have a friend who had a similar experience there. The staff would not budge and she was very unhappy. I guess it is ok for the day time drop in, but just not very good for birthday parties.
cin

Columbus, IN

#3 May 13, 2009
Wow, that happened to us too!!!! HOW CAN THEY AFFORD TO STAY IN BUSINESS????????? WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD PAY THAT KIND OF MONEY FOR THAT TERRIBLE SERVICE??????????
Other Locations Same

Fort George G Meade, MD

#4 Jun 10, 2009
I went to a party here and I must say I agree. There aren't many seats for the parents to sit on, so you basically go from one room to another and are forced to sit on the floor. We went in the winter, so we had to carry all of the children's coats, hats, mittens, socks and shoes from room to room to room. The children love it, but by the end even they were tired of jumping. I got on some of the slides and played with the kids so it made it easier. But the birthday's childs grandparents attended and there was no where for them to sit. We had 20 kids and parents, we had to feed everyone pizza and cupcakes and get them out of there in approx 30 minutes...it was a big circus! Jeepers and Chucky cheese are better organized and more considerate of the adults.
Bee

Arlington, VA

#5 Jun 11, 2009
Other Locations Same wrote:
I went to a party here and I must say I agree. There aren't many seats for the parents to sit on, so you basically go from one room to another and are forced to sit on the floor. We went in the winter, so we had to carry all of the children's coats, hats, mittens, socks and shoes from room to room to room. The children love it, but by the end even they were tired of jumping. I got on some of the slides and played with the kids so it made it easier. But the birthday's childs grandparents attended and there was no where for them to sit. We had 20 kids and parents, we had to feed everyone pizza and cupcakes and get them out of there in approx 30 minutes...it was a big circus! Jeepers and Chucky cheese are better organized and more considerate of the adults.
I find all the quotes inadequate... I've been to Pump It Up of Lanham 3 times for my children's birthday parties and have never had an experience as you people claim to have had. You may have some things go wrong with your party, and that's to be expected when you're having back to back parties. I totally in disagreeance....
Kim

Arlington, VA

#6 Jun 11, 2009
You can't possibly be talking about the same Pump It Up !!!. We just had a party there 2 weeks ago and had a blast!!! We will continue to patronize their business until my child wants something else. All I would say is read your contract and be aware of what you are getting.
Vick

Crystal Lake, IL

#7 Nov 4, 2009
Pump it up is a horrible germ factory. It is utter chaos and overpriced.
I hope they all go out of business. They force you to sign a waiver in case your child is injured. Apparently, they know the place is an accident waiting to happen.
Fpi

Lanham, MD

#8 Apr 16, 2010
Many of the comments are simply untrue. There are cubbies and coat racks in both arenas and attendants (employees) transfer them with your party into every room. Pump it up is a business and many of you who think you know how to run it would fail terribly. Pump it up is not licensed by the health department to let you bring outside food into the facility, because when you do and some kid turns up with salmonella guess who gets sued? Also in response to DIS if you have an official emergency, or if your child is injured and you provide the proper documents, pump it up will reschedule your party FREE OF CHARGE. And btw proper documents are as simple as a doctors note. If we schedule a party we have staff sched. to work, as well as food deliveries, and a blocked off time. Don't you think it would be a stupid business decision to let parties drop out of their contract last minute with no valid reason? You are ONLY charged to your original card if you have not followed through with the agreed contract, and we cannot get in touch with you. I hoped I cleared some things up for you. & Please remember to think before you post these ridiculous comments.
KRIDER

Indian Head, MD

#9 May 26, 2010
Thank you for the posts here...very helpful! I especially appreciated the response by the rep. from Pump it Up. The tone of the response and the fact that it did not dispute a key customer complaint - little seating for parents or ability to be with your kids - tells me pretty much everything I need to know.
Dianne

Bedford, IN

#10 Jul 29, 2010
I must say, Pump It Up in Bowie is fantastic. It sounds to me like people didn't read the fine print - where it clearly states that the deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE and if you cancel close to the date of they would have a hard time making up the money, so there's a charge for that too. It's all clear and on the paper you have to sign to reserve a party.
Yes, pizzas are overpriced, but that's part of the profit margin. Honestly, we did the early party, brought in coffee and muffins instead of cake/soda/pizza and didn't pay for any extra food. Took home the two free pizzas for lunch for ourselves.
The staff was great, they were totally helpful and considerate. They took care of everything - which is what you pay for! There's plenty of benches out in the jump area. What parent is going to go hide themselves in a room away from their kids?
And yes, trampolines/bounce activities are potentially dangerous - one wrongful injury suit and they're out of business. So of course they have you sign an injury waiver. Maybe you should stay in the room with your child to make sure they don't get hurt?
jenae

Bowie, MD

#11 Jul 29, 2010
lanham pump it up was a complete waste of money for our family. the staff was rude and obnoxious. the worse one, was the manager or owner as he calls himself. there are so many other places to take your children where you are more in control of a party. it's not worth your money.
snsyne

District Heights, MD

#12 Dec 10, 2010
Everything you just said was a trap is written in the document you signed. They explain some of this things to you, but you have to read the print on the paper they gave you. You can't blame the establishment for something you obvious didn't care to read up on.
Hate pump it up

United States

#13 May 14, 2011
I had a parents worst nightmare at pump it up party, a memory I hate we experienced, they staff was horrible, they lost my son, one of the worker while changing room let my 2yr old son out of the party room, and he was missing for a long time the staff did not act like they cared and reused to take fault! I can't explain the state I was in! On top of everything, the place no at all what I expected, every bounce was old and torn, my friends got a deep cut on here arm, the music kept going out...was not worth the heart ache, stress, and money! I use to think it was a good idea but not anymore! I will never go back and will cont. To inform ppl of my experience! The review don't tell you how Pump it up really is like
Pump it up supporter

Upper Marlboro, MD

#14 Jun 1, 2011
Um, I don't know about the rest of you, but Pump it up is a GREAT experience. Response to DIS, the staff always welcomes whoever walks in the door so Idk if you're talking about the Lanham location staff. Yes you have to make a $100 deposit, thats to secure your spot for a party. Since you didn't read the contract, it basically states that if you cancel basically within 2 weeks before the day of your party, you owe the FULL price because you wasted their time when they could've had another party enjoy the experience. Who said you couldn't step out to the lobby where a soda machine is and grab a bottle of water to drink it? NO one. Its there for a reason. The reason you cant bring other food besides dry foods and veggies, etc is because if some child gets sick on their facility, PUMP IT UP is responsible and they don't have the time to be responsible for someone getting sick. They charge you extra $30 for an extra 15 minutes or so because they have other parties RIGHT BEHIND YOU therefore if you leave out late, it makes the staff struggle to get the next party there on time. I'm pretty sure the staff makes announcements to tell you when it is time to get ready to leave.
Pump it up supporter

Upper Marlboro, MD

#15 Jun 1, 2011
tanishia, its possible she may have asked to do something that was against the rules of pump it up. Other than that, pump is always trying to be able to help you have a great experience.

cin, you may have not read the contract either.

Other Locations Same, Pump it up has coat racks/hangers for your coats and shoe cubbies and they remind you to put your shoes in the shoe cubby before playing, same with the coats. They also have benches. They have at least 2 or 3 long benches in each room. I don't know if you missed the benches but they have them.

Vick, yes its possible for accidents to happen, but thats why the employees make you watch a SAFETY VIDEO before entering the play rooms. Pump it up is not responsible for accidents that no one cared to pay attention for from the safety video. They have ice packs/bandages if you need them.

KRIDER, THERE ARE BENCHES IN THE PLAY ROOMS! You cannot miss them! Its like 3 or 4 of them in each room!

jenae, Pump it Up is a business in which they have to keep things under control. Pump it up is not like chuck e cheese or jeepers.

Hate pump it up, Pump it UP is NOT responsible for missing children. Enough Said.
DC CHRIS

Washington, DC

#16 Aug 1, 2011
I would completely disagre. I just had my daughters party there last week. The staff was great, they let us bring drinks and cake, the kids had a blast and the bill was exactly what we expected.
DIS wrote:
When I took my two year old for "pop in play" it was nice. So, I scheduled my daughters Birthday party and it was a DISASTER!! Don't waste your $300+++ IT IS NOT WORTH IT.!! The staff were RUDE AND DECEITFUL!! Once they they have your credit card number, which you have to give them as a deposit, that's it, your stuck! No refunds, and if you have an emergency and have to cancel, they tell you, THEY WILL STILL CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD ANYWAY, EVEN IF YOU DON'T SHOW UP! And the extra charges are ridiculous!!! Everything is charged to your original card, and the pizza prices are much higher than the store they get them from. You have no control over anything there. They expect your children to jump for 1 HOUR AND 20 MINUTES with no break in the play rooms, while parents or children are not even allowed to sit in the party room to rest/wait. Not even to drink bottled water in between, nothing, your expected to just wait in the play room the entire time. Only at the very end are you allowed in the party room,(parents cannot even put their coats in there until the end). Even though you pay for the pizza and drinks etc. you STILL cannot bring any other food in with you!!! Only dry prepackaged snacks, veggies etc . Then you get a very short time there, then are charged something like $30 for every 15 minutes you remain in the party room. It is stupid, and not worth the money. Other locations may be ok, but Lanham is a trap, don't go!!
PUMP IT UP DISASTER

Washington, DC

#17 Aug 23, 2011
I had a my daughter's 3rd Birthday party at Pump it Up in Lanham Saturday August 20, 2011 @ 2:30pm and it was a nightmare!!! The play portion was good but the actually party coordination had me so upset and embarrassed beyond belief. The "coordinator" had no idea what she was doing adn never communicated anything with me. I had to finish setting up the room and decorations. The decorations that I supplied in advance were not all in the room when my party arrived. Items they were meant to put in the fridge were left out and not refrigerated. I ended up cutting the cake, putting the cake on the plates and serving to my guests because the coordinator keep leaving to the break room to talk to other employees. She even opened up the ice cream cups and left them sitting out on the table for some odd reason and left. When the coordinator came back, she opened the door, propped it open with a stopper and turned off the music saying the party was over now and if we stay any longer we will be charged and left the room. I was SOOO EMBARRASSED. I ran around and started handing out the goody bags. The coordinator never got around to passing out the 2nd slice of pizza I ordered and left 2 empty pizza boxes on top of a full box or pizza so everyone thought the food was finished when it wasn't. The coordinator threw my cake box in a huge trash can and I had to go fish it out of the employee only room and pack my own cake back up!!!!The party coordinator never spoke with me about anything or even gave me a heads up when the party time was close to being over. She never introduced herself or showed any interest in my party for that matter. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY. I payed for the Ultimate Classic and my daughter the birthday girl never got the crown, tshirt play pass or any of the other nonsense purported on the website as included in the package. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY and HUGE EMBARRASSMENT! I had my party guests hand carrying their gifts to the back of my car because the cart the party coordinator supplied 15 minutes after my party was over had a broken wheel. I will never set foot inside PUMP IT UP LANHAM/BOWIE every again in this life! They are a bunch of money stealing liars with bad attitudes!!!!!!!
Momof2

Arlington, VA

#18 Aug 23, 2011
Just went to Joyful Jumps in Bowie Hilltop plaza. My children had a lot of fun. The staff was pleasant and the play area was clean. We purchased passes 10 visits for $88. You get to jump for 2 hours, but I do have to tell you after 1 1/2 constant jumping my chidren did not fight my 10 minute and we are leaving warning. They let you have water but you have to drink it over by the front end. My girlfriend and I chatted on a bench while the children played. It was a pleasant a great experience for us. We have been to pump it up before, too. Joyful jumps is a bit smaller but a lot of fun.
Kristin

Cordova, TN

#19 Aug 31, 2011
Vick wrote:
Pump it up is a horrible germ factory. It is utter chaos and overpriced.
I hope they all go out of business. They force you to sign a waiver in case your child is injured. Apparently, they know the place is an accident waiting to happen.
It's bounce houses. Some have boxing arenas. Several children are running around all over the place. Of course accidents will happen. If they didn't have waviers they would be sued every week.
PIU

Cordova, TN

#20 Aug 31, 2011
As a former employee of Pump It Up of Bartlett, TN I can't speak of the cleanliness of all locations but I can tell you the employees were required to theroughly scrub down the inflatables NIGHTLY. Obviously things get looked over between parties due t the back to back parties, attendants only have time to lysol and pick up trash left in the room. Our managers clearly state food policies SEVERAL times during the booking process again the day before when they call to verify and its also written on several forms. We have several benches in the playrooms for parents to sit and we also provide cubbies and coat hangers. We require a wavier to.be signed because at a place like this accidents will happened and we would be sued every week if we didn't. CLEANLINESS is the top priority there. If there is a time gap between parties we were asked to clean: vaccum, mom, dust, clean inflatables etc. Are we over priced? Yes we are, its no secret. We even give you a price list so their ate no suprises. The reason our prices ate so high are to cover insurance. To the person who complained about the coordinator if valid their is absolutely NO excuse for that behavior and the manager should have been informed. To the other people complaining that the employees seemed confused or frazzled. These kids work up to 8 (if working a double) 2-hour parties a DAY and for very little money. It is a high stress job (if done properly) and if you book a late time slot they will be worn out and tired. I've worked at PIU for two and a half years as well as went to school full time. I wasn't an upbeat bouncing off the walls person on some days. Plus, most of these kids are only 16 and working their first job. Ever heard the term can't please everybody? I've had situations where the party moms were very cool and laid back and others that were over controlling psycho freaks. I get that its your kids birthday and you want everything to be perfect but that's near impossible. Unless you have your party at home and monitor every detail, Chances are something is going to happen you don't like no matter where you go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HEY YO! Why do N(EYE)GGERS steal, and SMELL Nov 30 Sam Lancaster 1
News Soldier from Bowie, Maryland, dies in Kuwait Nov 14 LEWIS 1
todd hibler (Jun '14) Nov 7 excrofton 2
News Prince George's Co. NAACP calls for removal of ... Nov 5 juice 1
Review: Nealon, John J Phd - John J Nealon PHD (Oct '10) Oct '16 Dick 5
Sex Abuser allowed to serve home detention in B... (May '14) Oct '16 Philbert 3
Kettering ES Oct '16 11000Layton 1

Bowie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance