hidden crime in bowie md
Tee

Arlington, VA

#42 Aug 14, 2009
It's sad really.... I'm a teen in bowie that knows the best of both worlds....I've been in bowie for a long time but I'm originally from NE DC my generation doesn't know how good we have it... we have too many doors open for us yet we neglect to use them it's almost as if we want to go backwards after the progress we as a race made..... we got to get it together.
Bowie Guy

Bowie, MD

#43 Sep 2, 2009
I have lived in Bowie all of my life and actually graduated from Bowie High four years ago. Hopefully my input will help on this matter since I know what Bowie is truly all about.

A cop is not at the Bowie library because of a girl getting raped in a bathroom there. How could a girl get raped in a library bathroom without anyone hearing? They have people at the front counter right next to the bathrooms. They would have easily seen a guy go into the girls bathroom or heard her scream if she could. The media would be all over this if it had happened. What you are hearing is rumors that have probably been made up by kids at the high school.

I used to go to the library after school everyday. The cops were there then and they are there now. You will also see Bowie High security there as well. The reason for this is because they do not want kids to loiter in front of the library. You will also notice there are a lot of kids that stand at the library to smoke cigarettes. They consider the library as school property.

Bowie High has very poor teaching and it is incredibly overcrowded. Shame on the parents that even let them go to that school. Put them in a school they will actually benefit from.They should all take an interest in their child's education and future.

The city itself is overcrowded and becoming very commercial. The more commercial that Bowie gets, the worse it is. I have noticed over the years that this is the case for the southern portion of Bowie. As they tear down trees and build on, they are putting up big commercial endeavors such as Bowie Town Center. Since that mall was built, we seemed to have attracted a lot of crime in that area, especially at the mall itself. It is mostly the people who are coming out from places such as DC, Landover, Bladensburg, etc.. Be aware of what area surrounds you.

The rest of Bowie is not so bad. It is actually really nice on the northern side. The only place that's bad there is old Bowie. I assume that this is because it is cheaper to live over there.

You get what you pay for. Especially with you children. Get them out of that school.
Bowie WhiteBoy

Washington, DC

#44 Sep 11, 2009
Unfortunately, we did NOT get what we paid for. We bought in Pointer Ridge right before the bottom fell out of the housing market. That's just our bad luck... but let me tell you, Bowie sucks! The people in P.R. are so ugly to see and hear. Awful people, house after house of terrible people who have no pride in their homes, their kids' behavior, and not even their race, apparently. I'm afraid for my children and my wife whenever they leave the house. I have to watch my back while I'm in the yard because there's always bands of wandering miscreants who *think* that they are more black than the next black kid. These are middle-class kids that need the get the shit beat out of them by their parents to teach then some respect. But then, their parents are mostly trash, too. At least once a week someone in Bowie makes some kind of derogatory comment to me about being a white person, or refers to me as white-boy.(I can't wait until one decides to make it violent so I can make an example out of him/her.) I ramble on, but if you have any sense, and if you can, you will get out of Bowie as fast as our legs will take you. We are just biding our time to get the hell out so I can raise my kids in a place where even the private schools won;t be teaching my ids to chicken walk and wear their pants with their asses hanging out.(I apologize to the people who are NOT what I described above. If you are one of those few, then look around... no doubt most of your neighbors ARE the people I described above). Bowie is horrible. It's a sh*t town in a sh*t county.
The truth hurts

Bushnell, FL

#45 Sep 12, 2009
Bowie Guy wrote:
I have lived in Bowie all of my life and actually graduated from Bowie High four years ago. Hopefully my input will help on this matter since I know what Bowie is truly all about.
A cop is not at the Bowie library because of a girl getting raped in a bathroom there. How could a girl get raped in a library bathroom without anyone hearing? They have people at the front counter right next to the bathrooms. They would have easily seen a guy go into the girls bathroom or heard her scream if she could. The media would be all over this if it had happened. What you are hearing is rumors that have probably been made up by kids at the high school.
I used to go to the library after school everyday. The cops were there then and they are there now. You will also see Bowie High security there as well. The reason for this is because they do not want kids to loiter in front of the library. You will also notice there are a lot of kids that stand at the library to smoke cigarettes. They consider the library as school property.
Bowie High has very poor teaching and it is incredibly overcrowded. Shame on the parents that even let them go to that school. Put them in a school they will actually benefit from.They should all take an interest in their child's education and future.
The city itself is overcrowded and becoming very commercial. The more commercial that Bowie gets, the worse it is. I have noticed over the years that this is the case for the southern portion of Bowie. As they tear down trees and build on, they are putting up big commercial endeavors such as Bowie Town Center. Since that mall was built, we seemed to have attracted a lot of crime in that area, especially at the mall itself. It is mostly the people who are coming out from places such as DC, Landover, Bladensburg, etc.. Be aware of what area surrounds you.
The rest of Bowie is not so bad. It is actually really nice on the northern side. The only place that's bad there is old Bowie. I assume that this is because it is cheaper to live over there.
You get what you pay for. Especially with you children. Get them out of that school.
Your a smart kid, I wish you well.

Bowie use to be nice but the more you build and tear down trees more City trash will come.
People need to THINK why they moved there in the first place. They wanted more stores for their conviences, now look where it got them.
Nobody thought whos going to be working at these stores of conviences.
The people of Bowie never thought their town planning out for the future. No need for bigger, bigger didnt make it better. It just so happens it looks like a town of greed, not the place they moved to to raise their childern. Safety first, education and respect for one another as neighbors.

Get involved Bowie is worth saving, do it for the kids!
The truth hurts

Bushnell, FL

#46 Sep 12, 2009
Bowie WhiteBoy wrote:
Unfortunately, we did NOT get what we paid for. We bought in Pointer Ridge right before the bottom fell out of the housing market. That's just our bad luck... but let me tell you, Bowie sucks! The people in P.R. are so ugly to see and hear. Awful people, house after house of terrible people who have no pride in their homes, their kids' behavior, and not even their race, apparently. I'm afraid for my children and my wife whenever they leave the house. I have to watch my back while I'm in the yard because there's always bands of wandering miscreants who *think* that they are more black than the next black kid. These are middle-class kids that need the get the shit beat out of them by their parents to teach then some respect. But then, their parents are mostly trash, too. At least once a week someone in Bowie makes some kind of derogatory comment to me about being a white person, or refers to me as white-boy.(I can't wait until one decides to make it violent so I can make an example out of him/her.) I ramble on, but if you have any sense, and if you can, you will get out of Bowie as fast as our legs will take you. We are just biding our time to get the hell out so I can raise my kids in a place where even the private schools won;t be teaching my ids to chicken walk and wear their pants with their asses hanging out.(I apologize to the people who are NOT what I described above. If you are one of those few, then look around... no doubt most of your neighbors ARE the people I described above). Bowie is horrible. It's a sh*t town in a sh*t county.
Right on!! Somebody who speaks the truth. Seeing things for what it is, is a good thing. If you cant see the truth you can never make things better.

Seems to me you best teach your kids how to defend themselves. How to to defend with one strike and walk away.

Im starting to believe the parents of these THUGS are proud of who their kids are becoming.
I firmly believe that parents need to be held accountable for their kids actions. Fines, community service or perhaps jail time besides their lil thug.

Good luck to you and your family. Peace
Oh no he didnt

Bowie, MD

#47 Apr 30, 2010
I live in pointer ridge....i'm an RN my fiancee is an engineer....let me tell you, my future stepson and his friends,wanna be from the inner city fools, are out of control. I have recently moved here from Va. Beach and it has been one thing after another. First of all they think they have some little suburban gang going on here. The kids wear alot of red and black colors. He recently broke bad and broke my tv, left home for a week, staying with friends. Excuse my language from this point out but....what the fuck? your not hard, your not "street" the only thing you have to do is eat, shit, take out the trash and do well in school. You are a suburban kid ok? I can smell the suburbs all over you and your "soft" as noodles buddies. His father has done everything that he could do, being a single father. counseling, tough love, support groups, heart to heart conversations, scool meetings, PTA.....when he broke my television, i said...oh fuck no you little punk...i called the cops and the cops said, well go in the house and so some dishes, make yourself useful. I have a 1 year old, and he is the only baby i'm going to cater to. If he ever pulls that shit again, i pray for him, i really do. I have been a psychiatric nurse for years and i have to tell you....these young suburban guys have some serious image issues...they do......i just had to vent. Well some great news is that my younger sister got a full ride to Georgetown-maybe she will rub off on him.
slimz

Arlington, VA

#48 Jul 15, 2010
uggh ppl i lived i bowie for awhile i went to the school..the kids who like have there freakin pants down and shit well arent all wannabies soem of them come from D.C. on bus or baltimore so it gets in fluenced by (some) bowie kids...but pretty much im being honest bowie not scary liek ive been in fights with guys wh otry to talk mad shit and ive kicked there ass they are fake i use to live in brentwood then bowie now colorado lol..but its all good at bowie just fakes btw not just black there are also dumb whites tryign to act all ghetto not trying to be racist.

Since: Jul 10

Columbia, MD

#49 Jul 20, 2010
The demographics in Bowie have changed drastically. The blacks moved in, and the whites moved out. Any way you look at it, black culture is dysfunctional.

If you're white or black and truly want your children to have the best opportunities, move to a mostly white + asian neighborhood, and leave the black culture behind.

By the way, if you have a problem writing in proper English, stay in Bowie, please!
slimz wrote:
uggh ppl i lived i bowie for awhile i went to the school..the kids who like have there freakin pants down and shit well arent all wannabies soem of them come from D.C. on bus or baltimore so it gets in fluenced by (some) bowie kids...but pretty much im being honest bowie not scary liek ive been in fights with guys wh otry to talk mad shit and ive kicked there ass they are fake i use to live in brentwood then bowie now colorado lol..but its all good at bowie just fakes btw not just black there are also dumb whites tryign to act all ghetto not trying to be racist.
Local

Arlington, VA

#50 Aug 2, 2010
im not tryna be racist either.. but its always the black people...ALWAYS
WOW - 2010 Bowie Resident

Washington, DC

#51 Aug 24, 2010
I am very sad to read these comments. Crime rose with Blacks moving in? Is this 2010 or 1958? So much for post racial america. Glad I didn't read this before I moved to Bowie lest I fear offendin' the good hard workin' white folk of Bowie with my Black single parent of one PH.D. & Career havin' ass...(smh)
That's why crime get's worse, you look only at one people and not what is happening in the area...
WOW - 2010 Bowie Resident

Washington, DC

#52 Aug 24, 2010
Oh and I would LOVVVEEE to hear how you tried to help your community instead of abandone it? We're not talking about South Central or effin' Cabrini Green...we're talking about Bowie for Gods sake... If you can't work with your neighbors to protect and uplift your community from the spoils of few, then I wouldn't want to live next to any of you...sad sad sad....
Mark

Washington, DC

#53 Aug 26, 2010
Bowie has turned into an armpit and just another reason why I am moving my family next month to a safer and quieter community. I have lived in Bowie since 1997 and I have had enough. It is true the police presence in the libary parking lot is due to the future hoodlums getting out of school. Our daughter attended that school a few years back and I was thankful for the day we pulled her out of it. The hoods run the school and they run the neighborhoods too. If you want change then show up in November and clean house at City Hall where color does matter and that is a sad fact. I will not be looking in my rearview mirror when I kiss Bowie good-bye. Parents! Why are your school aged children running the streets at 11:00 pm? Lock'em up now before they decide to walk into my lit driveway at night and break into my car, bust my wife's window just to bust it. Half the punks in that high school are just wasting space, while other kids want to learn.
shock in bowie

Upper Marlboro, MD

#54 Aug 26, 2010
im a single BLACK mother who lives in BOWIE with two BLACK children in college not in gangs or beating up on people nor breaking in store. so you need to get your facts right about single BLACK mothers.
ojmcdaniel

Upper Marlboro, MD

#55 Oct 8, 2010
Terrance Anthony wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely correct. I try my best to keep racial remarks to myself but I have to say it's true. I myself am a American born African American male and I can concur with your statements. BLACKS today are a sad bunch. After everything our Civil Rights brothers and sisters died for, we continue to move backwards.
Bowie is a beautiful area and there are plenty of very educated black families. It's sad to see Black children males and females continue to carry them selves as if they are still living in the ghetto. These are million dollar homes and million dollar communities, why are they acting so stupid and ghetto when Bowie is nowhere close to being ghetto.
Come on black people, wtf is wrong with us?
Thank God a-holes like you don't live here. We are one of the "educated black families" you refer to: the "house" you know whats. Apparently you could use a little more education yourself. People like you prevent progress with your offensive comments -- not racist, just ignorant. There are just as many low-class white people in Bowie. It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with home training or lack thereof. Why do you feel the need to point at your own more than any others? It's depressing to see another black demonstrate your own ignorance.
ojmcdaniel

Upper Marlboro, MD

#56 Oct 8, 2010
Mark wrote:
Bowie has turned into an armpit and just another reason why I am moving my family next month to a safer and quieter community. I have lived in Bowie since 1997 and I have had enough. It is true the police presence in the libary parking lot is due to the future hoodlums getting out of school. Our daughter attended that school a few years back and I was thankful for the day we pulled her out of it. The hoods run the school and they run the neighborhoods too. If you want change then show up in November and clean house at City Hall where color does matter and that is a sad fact. I will not be looking in my rearview mirror when I kiss Bowie good-bye. Parents! Why are your school aged children running the streets at 11:00 pm? Lock'em up now before they decide to walk into my lit driveway at night and break into my car, bust my wife's window just to bust it. Half the punks in that high school are just wasting space, while other kids want to learn.
You could NOT move soon enough. Toilet paper like you is one of the key challenges the community has in moving forward. Adios, loser.
Bowie Mom

United States

#57 Oct 26, 2010
mother in crofton wrote:
LJ, you sound like someone people would be lucky to know. I agree.
When I go to Bowie, I see well educated, hard working parents with a$$hole kids. I see both black and white kids looking stupid with their pants sagging and using poor grammar. It's ridiculous AND contagious! I see my 11 year old emulating some of the swagger and expressions. It makes me CRAZY!!!! They wouldn't survive a minute in the real ghetto. Why do people idolize that lifestyle? I don't get it, but maybe that's because I'm a cracker!:)
No it's not because you are a cracker, it's because you are a decent person. Any decent person would not understand why that lifestyle is idolized. I don't understand why and I'm black. I grew up in a family with both parents. Mostly all of my family members have a college degrees or a trade. I never lived in the ghetto. I am happily married with kids. And none of my male relatives have been in jail!! So no, race has nothing to do with it. As far as the crimes in Bowie -- I have seen Black White and Hispanic juveniles acting out. The destructive behavior in the community must be stopped before it becomes rapid -- look at what's going on in Lanham now. Remember how Annapolis mall started to take a turn with disorderly juveniles, it was stopped by enforcing policies that discouraged unruly behavior . If you see something it should be reported and the parents of these juveniles must be held accountable as well.
HippyHater

Topeka, KS

#58 Nov 27, 2010
I blame those damn tree-hugging hippies. Always getting into my tool-shed and stealing my moonshine! Ever since the last time, my poor goat (Mr. Snugglebritches) has been walking all bow-legged and bushy-tailed. I got 'em now though. I just wired my farm with some real fine security!
HippyHater

Topeka, KS

#59 Nov 27, 2010
oops sorry for double posting! These interwebs are mighty tricky sometimes!
magic

Baltimore, MD

#60 Dec 1, 2010
whats up iam puerto rican from suitland maryland
been their seven years ok never had any one rob
me ok i have been over bowie a few times and its
looks like a nice place to live look i come from
harlem on 116th street the barrio twenty five
years ago drugs gangs women getting money for sex
and all that it was real rough so look like
i said i live in suitland and its nowhere like
the south bronx brooklyn or even some parts of
new jersy ok their is good and bad all over
its not where you come from its all about you
getting a great education look pg county is getting
more of puerto ricans and dominicans and
south americans living in the african american
towns of suitland seatpleasnt landover hills
marlow heights lanham forestville forestheights
captiol heights areas those areas are mostly
african americans but puerto ricans dominicans
south americans a few asians live in these areas
and we get a long yes we do have latin gangs
LIKE 18TH STREET MEXICAN MAFIA VATO LOCOS
ALMIGHTY LATIN KINGS AND THE DOMINICANS DONT PLAY
but a big number of us latinos are eduated people
Bowie

Silver Spring, MD

#62 Jan 21, 2011
It so sad that people are writing these negitive comments especially racial comments. I grew up in Bowie all my life and I'm 30yrs old.( Pointer Ridge) and you comments on " Blacks " is so wrong. There were several muders in Bowie back in the early 80's and 90's when it was young white males killed by young white males weither they pulled the trigger or was there as witness and watch a boy get shot in the head off of Queen Ann bridge!There have been several white males from Bowie that killed people and never was charge for those crimes. So before you place all the blame on "Blacks". Check your family and yourself. These racial remarks willnot solve the problem, but make it worst. Yes im balck and Im married to a white man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Steve Grimaud as Mayor? (Oct '13) May 16 Irene Bedard 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) May 8 American 8
News Fire officials debunk report of possible meteor... May 5 Paris Hilton 4
Scarf Sale Event and free Fitness Classes for M... Apr 29 annemsharp 1
News Family Fun: Sleeping Beauty, Mark Twain and Ear... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
Glenn Dale Hospital (Apr '06) Apr '16 Amelia 30
Bowie Lacrosse All Stars (Jul '08) Mar '16 Josiah 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bowie Mortgages