No Cornrows, Long Hair At Six Flags

No Cornrows, Long Hair At Six Flags

There are 40 comments on the WUSA Washington, DC story from Mar 31, 2008, titled No Cornrows, Long Hair At Six Flags. In it, WUSA Washington, DC reports that:

Eighteen-year-old Antonio Rowland lives in Bowie, Md., less than a mile from the Six Flags America amusement park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUSA Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
StirrinDaPot

Hilltown, PA

#21 Mar 31, 2008
Rules are rules... If you don't like them, nobody is forcing you to work there. Find a job where you can dress and wear your hair however you want. Kudos to the employer for setting standards and keeping them. Now, if a black employee gets sent home for having long hair and a white person doesn't, or vice versa, then you can start playing the race card. Until then, quit ya whining!
Darkness Pursuit

Great Mills, MD

#22 Mar 31, 2008
It is called a dress code. It is in your contract if you can read that? Plain and Simple. The most successful companies in the US. Have dress codes to show professionalism and class.

Again... Dress code. Very common. Don't work there is you have a problem.

--T man
Walter E Disney

Apollo Beach, FL

#23 Mar 31, 2008
Every young cast member, that we hire here, MUST abide by the professional & grooming standards that I have instituted years ago. Disneyland, & World PRIDES itself on having an ALL American look in cast member appearence.

While 6 flags is NO DISNEY, it does have something in common with Disneyworld.... Daniel Snyder & Disney are BOTH Mickey Mouse operations.

Celebrate your heritage on your time, AWAY from work. If you want the job, CONFORM to the policies set forth, or GET ANOTHER JOB. How hard is that to understand?
Cristy

Fort Washington, MD

#24 Mar 31, 2008
I don't see what his hair has to do with his job. As long as he does his job, the correct way everyday then it shouldn't be a problem. There is more important issues the deal with the a young mans hair. Sounds like discrimination to me. After all is there a issue with the ladies hair being long in cornrows???

“Oh Well”

Since: Feb 08

Washington DC

#25 Apr 1, 2008
jersey girl wrote:
<quoted text> Whos says they aren't. It just so happens that this balck boy's parents decided to go to the news with this...Long hair is long hair whether your black or white....
Who says they aren't...if you read my post..it wasn't me. In addition read the article..it was his grandparents.

Folks on this site need to stop putting their words in other folks post. I have a right to make my statement and it be taken as that. As I said as long as all are made to cut their hair...however 99.99% of the time that isn't the case.
Hootiewho

Columbus, IN

#26 Apr 5, 2008
Do they have ladies with hair longer that their collar? Of course they do. This policy is bogus. That young man featured seems like a decent, young gentleman & should be allowed to work with his hair styled as it is.
I am boycotting 6 Flags.
angus

Stroudsburg, PA

#27 Apr 18, 2008
Oh please any time blacks can not wear their pants falling off, or their. hair in dredlocks they cry racism. Long hair could be a hazard it could get stuck in rides. There is dress codes in most jobs. Six flags has a new general manager and good for him, he is trying to clean up the park.I was there and that place was a dump

Since: Mar 08

Vienna, VA

#31 Apr 24, 2008
angus wrote:
Oh please any time blacks can not wear their pants falling off, or their. hair in dredlocks they cry racism. Long hair could be a hazard it could get stuck in rides. There is dress codes in most jobs. Six flags has a new general manager and good for him, he is trying to clean up the park.I was there and that place was a dump
you are rightlong hair can be a hazard when you are operating the rides but not everybody is operating the rides. also does that mean the the girls/women who work there have to cut their hair off too?

the story said that most jewelry and all visible tattoos are prohibited too. well thats good because i am sick and tired of seeing of looking at little megan and her 15 lip, nose, eye, and togue pierceing while she's serving me my food.

why don't Dan Snyder (the joke that he is) go back to the football stadium and try telling the redskins that they can no long have braids or dreads and have to have all their tattoos removed.

WHAT A JOKE
mark

Pasadena, MD

#32 Apr 27, 2008
it seems to me that black people who are responding to this dont know the facts.DAN SNYDER had nothing to do with this decision,why is it when rules are enforced and it affects black people they cry racism.well let shed some light the park manager TERRY PRATHER who is black decided to enforce this issue he said on tv and I have inside information,snyder is not in day to day park operations this was a rule set by corporate managers years ago but never enforced I can guarantee you that snyder had nothing to do with this rule.so black people get your facts straight before you start running your mouth about the white man.email TERRY PRATHER about your complaints,well since he is black thats probably not going to happen. we all know how you people operate,blame the white man, NEVER THE BLACK ONE.
qzone

Takoma Park, MD

#33 Apr 27, 2008
Its in the Ghetto... my work offered me free passes to 6 flags. I was like you are crazy? why the hell do I want to go there? I hope this new policy will gentrify the park but there is no way in hell i am going there.
ahem

Alexandria, VA

#34 Apr 27, 2008
And I hear the collard greens, chitlings and fried chicken is horrible. They don't have any watermelons at the moment because it's not the season.
MindYourBusiness

North Bergen, NJ

#35 Apr 11, 2010
jcj wrote:
Give me a break! I get so tired of black people always thinking they are getting picked up. I agree with a lot of you; if there is a dress code you follow it; if not you go home or you loose your job. Abviously, this person was seeing if he could get by with it. Some of you people think the dress codes don't apply to you but guess what they do; so suck it up. Either the kid cuts his hair or he won't have a job. If it is in the dress code than abide by it and stop whinning.
Learn to SPELL before you want to correct someone please. Obiviously is with an "O" not an "A". Shaking my head! I'm a freshman and I have way better sense than you! Go back to school you moron! US African Americans are ALWAYS being picked at! If it was a white dude that went up there with hair all in their face it would not be a problem!
MindYourBusiness

North Bergen, NJ

#36 Apr 11, 2010
No employer should be told how to present themselves because it's all apart of life! Black, White, Asian, who cares! If he wants conrows, HE WANTS THEM! If he wants DREADS! HE WANTS THEM! It doesn't matter why the heck do SIX FLAGS care anyway! This is why they loose employees! Females aren't gonna cut their hair for this stupid rule no way! People can just be ignorant, I say that SOB run the park his d**m self and see how he likes it Mr. I think I can tell people what to put in their hair!
alwyscmsdwn2raci sm

United States

#37 Apr 29, 2010
Seriously...it's 2010. I think it's time to let the the "whole I'm Black and I'm entitled to everything" bit.
Slavery was abolished in the 1800's.
Do yourselves a favor and stop acting like the "WHITE MAN" is keeping you down. You keep yourselves down with the crap choices you make.
If you were really concerned with getting the job at six flags you would have just accepted that you would need to make some changes to your appearance. Getting a job means beccoming a "proffesional". Practically ALL jobs required some sort of professional appearance. If you aren't willing to make that sort of adjustment then obviously that job was not for you and managment saw that. I wouldn't have hired you either.
If I hadn't boycotted Six Flags Long ago for fear of my safety (b/c you've always gotta be careful whose Timb's your steppin on and not making eye contact with anyone) then I would certainly start supporting them for this.
Keep up the good work Dan!
Barbara

Douglasville, GA

#38 Jun 5, 2010
If this code is being forced on a white boy or girl, let's see some evidence of that, talk is cheap, hear say is cheap, this code is being target at black kids, there is nothing lawful about natural hair, that is our culture, black hair grows out of our skull this way, otherwise, we have to perm our hair to make it straight, Black people want to be themselves, not what the white population want us to be. White people need to stop hating and making excuses for being racist. You should have said NO BAGGIN PANT !!!!
Barbara

Douglasville, GA

#39 Jun 5, 2010
You are wrong about that, whether an employee is Black or White, does not matter, the real issue is PEOPLE (Black or White) who wear Locks should not be discriminated against. I have white in my family, who wear Braids and real nappy locks, should I discriminate against my famil?
mark wrote:
it seems to me that black people who are responding to this dont know the facts.DAN SNYDER had nothing to do with this decision,why is it when rules are enforced and it affects black people they cry racism.well let shed some light the park manager TERRY PRATHER who is black decided to enforce this issue he said on tv and I have inside information,snyder is not in day to day park operations this was a rule set by corporate managers years ago but never enforced I can guarantee you that snyder had nothing to do with this rule.so black people get your facts straight before you start running your mouth about the white man.email TERRY PRATHER about your complaints,well since he is black thats probably not going to happen. we all know how you people operate,blame the white man, NEVER THE BLACK ONE.
im just saying

Cockeysville, MD

#40 Jun 9, 2010
The Yankees forced Johnny Damon to shave and cut his hair short when he was traded from Boston to the Yankees.. why? because that was the strict dress code that the Yankees enforce.
like he song said "long haired freaky people need not apply..." unfortunately its a privately owned establishment and they can pretty much make a dress code the way they want to have it. Now if they allow white kids to be there with long hair.. well that's a different story and i take everything i said back.
moy

Bowie, MD

#41 Jun 19, 2010
What's the fuss about?

Either abide by your employer's policy or work somewhere else. He should worry less about hair braiding and should consider himself lucky that he has a job, especially in these tough times.
Robin Anderson

Shady Side, MD

#42 Jun 24, 2010
African Americans have enough trouble getting their hair to behave well because of its texture. Cornrows is a neat and tidy way to deal with that. Nobody should be forced to cut their hair as part of a dress code. This is not 1950. If a woman can join the military and doesn't need a crewcut, than a male (black or white) should be allowed a job with no discrimination to his hair length as long as it's neatly tied back.
Six Flags has been making up some very foolish policies and I will not be visiting them again. Their latest is the loose article rule. What happened to just leaving your backpack unattended at the other side of the ride. This is allowed everywhere I've ever been, but now Six Flags requires you pay a dollar at each ride to store your loose articles. You can't even carry your purse in the hour long line while you wait to ride.
TheysayBostonisr acist

Randolph, MA

#43 Aug 26, 2010
I am Caucasian. My 8 yr-old son is not. The first time anyone said anything racist to him, he was just 14 months-old. So, please stop pretending that racism is dead. If racism were dead, no one would ever ask me if my 14 month-old's jumping play was his tribal dance! And no one here would say things like, black people cry this or that. And we wouldn't categorize all people who wear certain shoes, clothes, or hairstyles as thugs to be avoided. I can't count the number of racist stereotypes used in just one or two posts. It is a sad day indeed when I am faced with such rampant disregard of basic human dignity. Guess it's easy to mouth off to people online that you think you're never going to meet in person. Many of the people sharing their words of "wisdom" here are the reason that I have to discuss racism with my kid. And by the way, those of you who are so afraid of black men with cornrows and timbs, etc. regardless of what the news presents, the majority of violent crimes perpetrated on white folks is by other white folks. And as far as Six Flags goes. Any employer who doesn't want to employ men with long hair, must institute and follow through on the policy consistently regardless of the color of the employee's skin. That's the law and God bless America for it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bowie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bowie is becoming a ghetto! (Feb '12) Nov '17 Zain 27
organ harvesting affects blacks too Oct '17 coco4u 1
News Crofton speedway noise bill gets restart (Sep '09) Sep '17 Agree 37
News Maryland's first Steak 'n Shake on the auction ... (Jun '17) Jul '17 Kathy 3
News Bowie Social Worker Sentenced for Felony Theft ... (Nov '10) Jun '17 concerned citizen 3
Man on man action at racetrack (Jun '17) Jun '17 Nomad 3
Roy Rogers (Aug '15) May '17 Farrell Landon 2

Bowie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bowie Mortgages