Clout Goes to College: University of ...

Clout Goes to College: University of Illinois to open up appeals

There are 10 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 1, 2009, titled Clout Goes to College: University of Illinois to open up appeals. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When the University of Illinois rejected her son, Erin Reum called admissions officers in hopes of getting his application a second look.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Korean of the North

Champaign, IL

#1 Jun 2, 2009
These U of I admistrators would be most welcome by Dear Leader to join us in North Korea.

I will send an airplane to the cornfields to pick up these hicks, I mean, comrades. We look forward to learning your backward, corrupt politically bureaucratic ways.

Ching Chang
evaready

Chicago, IL

#2 Jun 2, 2009
This is just despicable. I hope the Tribune continues to stay on top of this stories. Any legislator that was party to having sub-par students admitted to the U of I should be forced to resign. So now we have our state's premier University admitting...out of state carpet baggers and sub-par instate students. Disgusting!!!

If you care abut higher education write your representatives!!
Mr Big

Homer Glen, IL

#3 Jun 2, 2009
University of Illinois is corrupt, just like the rest of the state. How can you now know which U of I graduates are legitimate and which are connected? I will stick to other Big 10 grads.
Danno

Chicago, IL

#4 Jun 2, 2009
The administrators and trustees on whose watch these corrupt acts occurred should all resign or be terminated. The US Attorney for the Central District of Illinois should investigate this matter since the school receives federal funds. The Illinois AG should also be investigating this despicable episode in Illinois education.
Not one thin dime

Plainfield, IL

#5 Jun 2, 2009
That's right Mr. Marshall, you will only change the decision is a legislator who has received a donation calls Mr. Herman and he says he 'really really wants the kid to attend.' You people have the spine and morals of the French military.

Tribune-I want a comment from Madigan on this. Get him on the record.
Steve

Chicago, IL

#6 Jun 2, 2009
Some of the people being interviewed in this article come off like complete whiners. The sense of entitlement is amazing. Sorry, sometimes we don't get everything in life that we want. The admissions standards for some of the colleges at UI can be extremely rigorous.....live with it.
Michael McCracken

Helferskirchen, Germany

#7 Jun 2, 2009
Cool!!! I'm glad the U of I is doing this!!!!!!!!! What a great way to teach their would-be students how things in Washington get done. Perhaps granting admission based on payoffs and bribes would prove more effective for future business grads. If that's off the table, consider requiring those admitted to submit part of their future earnings for admission. Yeh- that's the ticket.
Special K

Lisle, IL

#8 Jun 2, 2009
Parents calling and emailing admissions. I bet they also filled out the application and will soon be calling professors to ask why the kid got a C.
Leon Standard

United States

#9 Jun 11, 2009
Funny how many suburban millionaires feel UI admission is an entitlement. I know of over a dozen downstate students with ACTs of 34, 35, or 36 and perfect GPAs who were denied. Downstaters, however, are forbidden from complaining, just as they are denied access to anything the state "offers" its (important) citizens.
U of I 1978

Beecher, IL

#10 Jun 15, 2009
What?? And this is news to you? Getting in is one thing, making the grade is another..Who ever posted: "dozen downstate students with ACTs of 34, 35, or 36 and perfect GPAs who were denied." Is either not telling the hole story about these people or is just stirring the pot with lies.
There has always been this type of thing going on at any university. The question is and should be answered: Did they make the grade once admitted or was their time there a waste of time and resources?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bourbonnais Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
khs 2 hr .... 1
Relocating to Peotone Aug 31 Being truthful 11
Outing the racists in Peotone (Nov '16) Aug 23 Dick 20
Horse foreskin Aug '17 Anonymous 1
How to report Link Card Abuse (Apr '10) Aug '17 Your a joke 51
Where in Indiana is Josh House? Jul '17 Fart Sniffer 4
Drug Problem Jul '17 Lol 2

Bourbonnais Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance