First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Hard Worker

Evanston, IL

#1 Feb 21, 2009
I am so sick and tired f shopping at Jewel or Aldi of Ultra here in Kankakee to see all of the people proudly shopping with there link cards. I just left Jewel and in front of me was a lady buying chips, dip, pop, gum, and candy.$34.00 worth of junk all on a link card all name brand food. Did she have a jewel card or buy store brands of course not. I watch her get into her 2005 Cadillac deville. This makes me sick I see the system being abuse everyday. I work two full time jobs and don't sleep to make ends meet and to provide for me kids I don't get a link card or government hand outs.

The link cards in Kankakee are being abused. They should only be able to buy Meat, Cheese, eggs and milk and bread and thats it. No pop and chips and candy. They should also take a drug test to get there link card and should have a time limit on the card for how long you get it and you should prove you are looking for working each week.

But than again Obama is president for the next four years we are so f*ucked its not even funny.
A mom

United States

#2 Feb 22, 2009
If your going to use a * in youir curse words you should figure out where to put the *
A mom

United States

#3 Feb 22, 2009
This problem is not only in Kankakee. It is ALL over the USA !!!

“KANKA ALFRED”

Since: Jan 07

London,UK

#4 Feb 24, 2009
:-)
even in Europe too
boo

United States

#5 Feb 27, 2009
Hard Worker wrote:
I am so sick and tired f shopping at Jewel or Aldi of Ultra here in Kankakee to see all of the people proudly shopping with there link cards. I just left Jewel and in front of me was a lady buying chips, dip, pop, gum, and candy.$34.00 worth of junk all on a link card all name brand food. Did she have a jewel card or buy store brands of course not. I watch her get into her 2005 Cadillac deville. This makes me sick I see the system being abuse everyday. I work two full time jobs and don't sleep to make ends meet and to provide for me kids I don't get a link card or government hand outs.
The link cards in Kankakee are being abused. They should only be able to buy Meat, Cheese, eggs and milk and bread and thats it. No pop and chips and candy. They should also take a drug test to get there link card and should have a time limit on the card for how long you get it and you should prove you are looking for working each week.
But than again Obama is president for the next four years we are so f*ucked its not even funny.
...I agree,I have seen this happen in your town and it really makes me sad to see this happening,I know that there are people who have working boyfriend's living with them and have "under the table"money which is not reported.It's really a sin and should be reported.I understand that there is one lady(there may be more) in the Kankakee area that clean homes and is paid cash for her work.For someone to even hire such a person is not legal.I have posted this complaint before on topix but no one comes foward as to where to complain.I know that you want to express yourself but watch your placement of the *...

“KANKA ALFRED”

Since: Jan 07

London,UK

#6 Mar 10, 2009
Forward th Registrations Number to the Office.They shall doublecheck
just me

Rock Island, IL

#7 Apr 6, 2009
i agree that they are being abused, howevr how is it fair to kids that just becuz their parents dont make enuff money to buy all the groceries that they should have to do without. i get link, i also work 40 hours a week. why should my kids not get the same thing as ur kids do??? how about just punishing the people who abuse it instead of honest people who need the extra help.
You just dont understand

United States

#8 Apr 9, 2009
I drive a nice car. I had paid for it when my husband was around. Now he has passed on, and unfortunately at such a young age, we did not have any life insurance etc. We had a ton of medical bills and a mortgage, and a child in daycare. Just because i now have a link card, doesnt mean i should give up resonable transportaiton that was paid for when 2 incomes were in the house. So should i give up my car and drive a piece of crap that i will have to put money in repairs into the end. So just because someone has a nice house (which isnt being paid for) and a car, that is already paid for, and child that attends day care on public assistance, dont assume that you know their situation. As for people taking poor choices of food, i was told that if you dont use up the money by the end of the month, they cut ur limit the following month to whatever you spent. Unfortunately, if the wasnt the rule, people wouldnt be so apt to waste the money at the end. And dont think im some illiterate that isnt working hard, I am, I am a teacher AND have a part time job. It just isnt enough and still at povertly level. So think twice before voicing your opinion.
hooo

Joliet, IL

#9 Apr 11, 2009
I am a woman past middle age who uses a link card.Every time I do I feel embarassement,however,I was married for thirty plus years when my husband decided he wanted a younger woman who was not disabled. After all,"How could he get ahead with a sick wife?" Yes, I drive a vehicle that still looks nice but has some age on it. My children had to encourage me to use some public aid as I would really rather do without. They are professionals who pay heavily into the system every payday. My former husband is a professional with several degrees paying into the system also. So-o-o, perhaps you shouldn't tar and feather all of us with the same brush when you see us using a link card and be very thankful that you are not one of us.
MamaC

Kankakee, IL

#10 May 11, 2009
Hard Worker wrote:
Well hard worker, I used to work hard too until I became sick, then my husband lost his job and I had no choice but to apply for help. We've paid in a lot of years and now that we need some help I don't feel I should have to be ashamed to take it. It's not a lot of money but it's definately not any of your business how people spend it. If you know someone who is abusing it please feel free to report them but leave the rest of us alone. Bet you feel so important shooting off your big mouth. The mean part of me would love to see you have some hard times and need some assistance. I worked in health care for almost 30 years and did see plenty of abuse, families would come in wearing nicer clothes and jewelery than mine had with their hair and nails all done up. I think you shouldn't generalize everyone in your little closed mind. Wonder when the last time is that you donated to a worthy cause to help the less fortunate and I bet you put on a good show going to church every week. Don't bother because the power's that be watch you when your not at church too. Your not fooling Him.
Amanda

Midlothian, IL

#11 Jul 24, 2009
To the person who stated their self as hard working... just because someone is on the link card system does not mean that they sit at home my husband works 6 days a week 8 hrs a day and only makes 8 dollars an hour we have 2 children and I am currently looking for a job, I have an interview monday! That was stupid for the lady to get all junk food but not everyone abuses the system,stop being so cocky and snotty
bobby

Oswego, IL

#12 Jul 27, 2009
oh.. as if your social security number is not listed with a pretencious receipt/average of the things you buy with a link card (and/or credit card/debit card)
you dont think the government has plans for people who fall into a category of obnoxious waste with the supportive funds they are given?!
your life is what you make of it.. and if you create a disgusting environment, eventually your average efforts will rise to the surface and be flagged by a computer software program.
then.. if you decide to have children, chances are, there will be undercover agents checking in on you to see if you drive your childrens life into a disgusting direction as you do yourself..!
the government isnt like a corporation that soley relies on a 1-800 telephone complaint number.
no..no..no..
not in todays technology.
now they have computer software that helps raise a distress flag when a person is obscene.
what about audio codecs built into the telephone system that tallies how often a person screams and shouts while on the telephone.
that is another computer automated software scheme that will get undercover agents sent to spy on you (in hopes of future punishment and/or crisis intervention).
such automated systems will call in when a distress flag has been raised, then psychologists get a crack at listening to what is going on.
anger management counselors get a crack at listening to what is going on.. and a range of other tools that are used to decipher the situation as much as possible before sending an undercover spy to the area in search of further evidence.
the government will be prosecuting without the assisted telephone call placed by the neighbor on behalf of a child often heard screaming/crying more than appropriate (often a neglect issue where an infant is not receiving pain medications)
and if a cop patrols the area and hears the baby crying often (just out of coincidence that the officer was at the right place at the right time, then the officer can seek into the situation without the need for average society to place a complaint)
next comes the computer software that tells the government who-what-when is being obscene and/or obnoxious.
motion detectors arent against the law.. and when a motion detector goes off, the purpose of the hardware is to notify somebody (or some computer) that there is motion/activity.
the beep gets sent to a security officer and/or owner, where the situation has escalated.
the security officer and/or owner is now informed and obviously they have intentions to disperse of the activity, based on the motion detector being purchased and installed.
sometimes businesses hire a security officer to sit at a desk and wait for something to happen.
other times the business is able to hire the police to respond to any hardware distress calls.
(home alarm systems for example.. car alarm systems that call for an ambulance in case of airbag deployment are another example)
including the automated cameras that take a photo of vehicles who speed, the driver gets a ticket in the mail.
there are cameras at street intersections in some states/cities, those cameras have motion detection software to say the least.
i dont understand why people arent evolving with technology and realizing that they dont have to play an active role to see criminals/idiots get prosecuted/repremanded.. there are robotic systems with eyes and ears to help edit the wrong's of the world.
just think about that the next time you see somebody stealing at a retail store, there are cameras in place with motion detection software to make it easy on the human who's job is to catch a theif before the merchandise leaves the store.
those who still believe that a store can (and DOES) only rely on the magnetic alarms at the door exit to catch a theif, well you are seriously irrational.
bobby

Oswego, IL

#13 Jul 27, 2009
take a break from doing the humanitarian thing for once and allow the hardware that has been designed and deployed to do the humanitarian work for you, because it is better than watching the activity thinking nothing is going to be done about it because the proper people arent witnessing the same situation you are witnessing.
let this be a lesson.. and a 'less-on' to you.
maybe it will prevent cardiac arrest and/or the wrinkles around your eyes.
sally

Peoria, IL

#14 Jul 30, 2009
Well I have recently had to go on social security due to a chronic back degeneration which was not caused by drugs or alcohol. It was caused by 15 years of being a hard working RN. My husband got laid off then fired no unemployment at the moment still working on that. We have 4 kids at home one of them is diabetic. We drive a 2000 Cadillac Escalade so I guess by all of your standards we shouldn't get help. We own this vehicle now we don't make payments. I know their are people who abuse the system but don't judge every book because of the others & every book has its own story...
Wow

Antioch, IL

#15 Aug 1, 2009
bobby wrote:
oh.. as if your social security number is not listed with a pretencious receipt/average of the things you buy with a link card (and/or credit card/debit card)
you dont think the government has plans for people who fall into a category of obnoxious waste with the supportive funds they are given?!
your life is what you make of it.. and if you create a disgusting environment, eventually your average efforts will rise to the surface and be flagged by a computer software program.
then.. if you decide to have children, chances are, there will be undercover agents checking in on you to see if you drive your childrens life into a disgusting direction as you do yourself..!
the government isnt like a corporation that soley relies on a 1-800 telephone complaint number.
no..no..no..
not in todays technology.
now they have computer software that helps raise a distress flag when a person is obscene.
what about audio codecs built into the telephone system that tallies how often a person screams and shouts while on the telephone.
that is another computer automated software scheme that will get undercover agents sent to spy on you (in hopes of future punishment and/or crisis intervention).
such automated systems will call in when a distress flag has been raised, then psychologists get a crack at listening to what is going on.
anger management counselors get a crack at listening to what is going on.. and a range of other tools that are used to decipher the situation as much as possible before sending an undercover spy to the area in search of further evidence.
the government will be prosecuting without the assisted telephone call placed by the neighbor on behalf of a child often heard screaming/crying more than appropriate (often a neglect issue where an infant is not receiving pain medications)
and if a cop patrols the area and hears the baby crying often (just out of coincidence that the officer was at the right place at the right time, then the officer can seek into the situation without the need for average society to place a complaint)
next comes the computer software that tells the government who-what-when is being obscene and/or obnoxious.
motion detectors arent against the law.. and when a motion detector goes off, the purpose of the hardware is to notify somebody (or some computer) that there is motion/activity.
the beep gets sent to a security officer and/or owner, where the situation has escalated.
the security officer and/or owner is now informed and obviously they have intentions to disperse of the activity, based on the motion detector being purchased and installed.
sometimes businesses hire a security officer to sit at a desk and wait for something to happen.
other times the business is able to hire the police to respond to any hardware distress calls.
(home alarm systems for example.. car alarm systems that call for an ambulance in case of airbag deployment are another example)
including the automated cameras that take a photo of vehicles who speed, the driver gets a ticket in the mail.
there are cameras at street intersections in some states/cities, those cameras have motion detection software to say the least.
i dont understand why people arent evolving with technology and realizing that they dont have to play an active role to see criminals/idiots get prosecuted/repremanded.. there are robotic systems with eyes and ears to help edit the wrong's of the world.
just think about that the next time you see somebody stealing at a retail store, there are cameras in place with motion detection software to make it easy on the human who's job is to catch a theif before the merchandise leaves the store.
those who still believe that a store can (and DOES) only rely on the magnetic alarms at the door exit to catch a theif, well you are seriously irrational.
I think youi should go take your meds......
Nut job!!
Wow

Antioch, IL

#16 Aug 1, 2009
We are talking about link cards not all your hoopla!!
your on the wrong page!!
Wow

Antioch, IL

#17 Aug 1, 2009
That was for BOBBY~
need to take your meds??
Southern Illinois

United States

#18 Aug 9, 2009
My fiance works 40 hours per week and I am in college and fill out applications every week for jobs even though it is cheaper for me to take internet classes and stay home with my 18 month old than it would be to hire a babysitter. We received a link card and when he went to work, we got it cut to 125 per month. And not everyone buys junk food on a link card. I try to buy tons of veggies, fruit, milk, bread, juice, meat. I prefer to fix an actual meal than to just toss my kid a twinkie! However, my fiance needs lunch every day sent with him and he needs something quick so i throw in 2 pops, a sandwich baggie of chips and 2 sandwiches. So yeah, he works 40 hours at a hog farm, the guy deserves a bag of chips and a pop!!! I report his income, not all of us are abusing the system! As far as the person who said that they heard their money doesnt roll over at the end of the month, mine does get added on to the next months amount, so I would check on that if I were you.
Southern Illinois

United States

#19 Aug 9, 2009
sally wrote:
Well I have recently had to go on social security due to a chronic back degeneration which was not caused by drugs or alcohol. It was caused by 15 years of being a hard working RN. My husband got laid off then fired no unemployment at the moment still working on that. We have 4 kids at home one of them is diabetic. We drive a 2000 Cadillac Escalade so I guess by all of your standards we shouldn't get help. We own this vehicle now we don't make payments. I know their are people who abuse the system but don't judge every book because of the others & every book has its own story...
I dont drive an escalade but I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada and my home is paid off, thanks to the fact my fiance used to work is the oil field and it pays awesome down here but my point is I know where you are comming from cause people just assume that if you get a link card you are using it to pay all your bills.
Wow

Chicago, IL

#20 Aug 13, 2009
Food assistance should be giving to every American citizen who works or is disabled. The problem I have is with people who get cash assistance. Kankakee was a beautiful city about thirty years ago. The trash has moved in and destroyed it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bourbonnais Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Body Relax Massage Mon Jim 1
Debate: Ferguson - Kankakee, IL Jan 24 tryhardalot 8
looking for mandy Jan 20 tryhardalot 4
Slum & Crooked Landlords Jan 19 fightcruptioninwa... 1
Peotone Park District Jan 16 Barb is a con artist 12
george ryan (Jul '14) Jan 10 tryhardalot 15
Defendants in the Nuzzi lawsuits (Feb '07) Jan 8 anonymous 744
Bourbonnais Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web