Number of children raised by grandpar...

Number of children raised by grandparents is up

There are 9 comments on the LA Daily News story from Sep 7, 2008, titled Number of children raised by grandparents is up. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

The joy of grandparenting comes at a price for Dave and Nora Dacus, like many others who step up when a child's parents can't or won't. From changing diapers to footing the tuition bills for Catholic school, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Kathy

Burbank, CA

#1 Sep 7, 2008
the question is why are grandparents raising their grandkids? Parents who can't or won't? Folks if you bring another life into this world be responsible for it. Don't burden your parents with the duties of raising your child. Grow up and take responsibiliity for your life and the new one you brought into this world. If the parents can't because of death not caused by drugs its one thing but if there are other reasons like drugs etc. Grow up and take responsibility..
grandmother here

Cuba, MO

#2 Sep 8, 2008
We have raised our grandson for the last 11 years. We would not choose to change this, as he is the joy of our lives. It was not his fault that he was born to 2 idiots that could care less about him. But the difference he has made in our lives is priceless. And that includes private catholic school.
Nanna

Rolla, MO

#4 Sep 9, 2008
Reagans Ghost
you are a very judgemental person and I feel very sorry for you as your post shows you are a very unhappy person. How do you know about Bristol's boyfriend. Bristol seemed very attentive to her youngest sibling so my guess is she will be a loving mother but again who's business is it. My grandson has lived with me since birth, his mother chose not to marry the father and like grandmother here said my grandson has also brought a lot of joy into our home. Maybe you should try it then you wouldn't be such an angery person
waiting

United States

#5 Oct 26, 2008
im 50 and my grandparents raised us there was 6 now 8children .they never commplained. but my mom does when it comes to her grandchildren. i belive i would welcome my grand children in my home i have for a short period. my daughters very thankfull.
Daisy

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#7 Nov 5, 2008
Nanna wrote:
Reagans Ghost
you are a very judgemental person and I feel very sorry for you as your post shows you are a very unhappy person. How do you know about Bristol's boyfriend. Bristol seemed very attentive to her youngest sibling so my guess is she will be a loving mother but again who's business is it. My grandson has lived with me since birth, his mother chose not to marry the father and like grandmother here said my grandson has also brought a lot of joy into our home. Maybe you should try it then you wouldn't be such an angery person
AMEN NANNA!!!
skeptical taxpayer

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Nov 5, 2008
Nanna and Daisy, who cares what you write to an LA area paper? Don't they have enough redneck papers where you live? Bristol's boyfriend wrote on his own MySpace page that he just wants to party and not have kids, and wasn't even ready for a committed relationship, that's how everyone knows how he felt! Plus this boy was allegedly dating Bristol's good friend for a couple of years, when she just happened to sleep with him and get pregnant.

Trapping a kid like that into marriage by getting yourself knocked up, then having you and your mother try to turn it into a holier-than-thou anti-abortion/pro-life issue, is just wrong and makes for unhappy shotgun marriages where the young parents often dump the baby with their parents so they can finish school, go to college, get jobs -- or just "have fun" because at 18 they're way too young to sit at home all day with a baby, in their minds.

Now that Palin is famous, her daughter and future son-in-law will be better off than the average teens in that situation so maybe the boy will be OK with it. But it's a very poor example to set.

Lots of the "grandparents" who end up with their grandkids are like Palin still young themselves, even young enough to be parents, so it's not all a bunch of people in their 70's who are worn out. It's the White Trash Syndrome. Sure middle class and wealthy kids can also make "mistakes" called babies but it's hardly a role model for others. They're just more likely to have abortions, which I certainly don't encourage but I sure don't think the Palins of the world have a right to forbid that and force teens to give up college and careers or force their parents into raising kids IF they're not able and willing to do so.
Nanna

Rolla, MO

#10 Nov 7, 2008
Skeptical tax payer: First of all my grandson is not considered a mistake - second my daughter is not white trash and if you have a daughter you had better keep your mouth shut as it can happen to anyone. I am not a young grandparent - I am 61 years old but that little boy has brought more joy than I can ever express. I would rather be a redneck grandparent than a judgemental snob in like you.
Raising Babies

Baltimore, MD

#11 Nov 24, 2008
Skeptical Taxpayer and Reagans Ghost -

And Obama's mother was any better? She had a child with a man that left her and he was raised by his grandparents? Your point doesn't make sense unless it is just to trash Palin and then it just shows your ignorance.
donegone

Poplar Bluff, MO

#12 Dec 2, 2008
I raised my grandson for 18 mts cuz his mom, my girl, and the dad,her b/f,who is as sorry as they come ,took him back cuz they missed the food stamps and check, of which i wasnt getting except the food cuz i am on diability and formula and baby food was high. well since then they have managed to go on the run,and last i heard they were caught and the baby is in DFS hands but i cant find out anything. the dad needs to be in prison cuz my girl is gonna go too cuz he put her up to everything. that sounds like a cop out for her or denial on my part but i know how she was before and after she met him. she was out of HS had a 2 yr old girl,then she met the bad boy,Ricky.they moved constantly becuz he cant stay out of trouble.she lost custody of her girl who is 6 now, she is with her dad, but if she loses the son it will be hard to get him to his family. these kids dont care anymore what happens.they ALL need to grow up and be responsible....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bourbon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Reeves 20 hr mreeves 3
woodland lakes (Mar '08) 23 hr Tim 2,624
Travis Rawe why shoukd he get away w murder Jun 29 Travis Rawe 1
"cuba" a paradise to visit Jun 26 Mormon 1
Josh Murray Jun 17 CherryBomb 1
Where is Sheena? (Sep '14) Jun 17 Firecracker 6
nick brashear (May '12) Jun 15 James 9
More from around the web

Bourbon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE