Ramona bakery closes in Torrance

Full story: Daily Breeze 51
A popular bakery with a 71-year history in the South Bay area will close its Torrance store today. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Spartan Rugby

Los Angeles, CA

#82 Mar 11, 2009
BUSY BEES..is the BOMB!! only good reason to drive to pedro!!

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#83 Mar 11, 2009
Mmmmmmm.... Ramona's! Now it has been many a year since I've had a frozen whipped cream with the layers of banana, orange, and raspberry in between but I sure have fond memories of those cakes. Everyone in my family always wanted one of those for their birthday cake. My wife does a pretty good job of imitating those cakes but I don't believe she has every been able to quite match it. Maybe the next time I am down that way, I'll have to stop in to the San Pedro store.
dogsmatter

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#84 Mar 11, 2009
Busy Bee Market is NOT a bakery.
And it is NOT called Busy Bees.
But I must admit, I like that name better.
The owners are great guys.
Black Widow

Los Angeles, CA

#85 Mar 11, 2009
Ramonas wrote:
When I got married the first time, 30+ years ago, there was only one Ramona's, in San Pedro. They did my wedding cake and it was spectacular!
When I married the 2nd time 4 years ago, I bought the cake at the Ramona's in Torrance. It was hideous! Dry & looked and tasted like it had been made weeks before!!! They didn't even have a box to deliver it in and it wasn't a big cake.
Ramona's went downhill a long time ago and the reason they closed is because people got tired of paying for poor service and poor quality.
Wow, who the heck is going to do your third wedding cake then??? Nice taking a shot at a business that is closing down.
Seriously

Los Angeles, CA

#86 Mar 11, 2009
Spartan Rugby wrote:
BUSY BEES..is the BOMB!! only good reason to drive to pedro!!
There is NO good reason to drive to Speedro!
whatever

United States

#87 Nov 27, 2009
Politics wrote:
Jeeze, it's amazing how some posters can take any article and turn it political.
Give it a rest bird of prey.
Oh shut up and get a life!
R-Smart

Norwalk, CA

#88 Nov 28, 2009
Hasn't anyone heard of Torrance Bakery? It has a following that won't quit. It is downtown Old Torrance and even has a Deli where people eat outdoors on a very wide sidewalk. And, if you want service there, you have to take a number.
Labalto

Pittsburg, CA

#89 Sep 21, 2010
I worked there 25 years ago........it was top notch. Anthony owned it back then. Worked there when it went into the Gelsons Market in Palos Verdes, then the Torrance shop for a while. They made my wedding cake for me (as my gift) and it traveled in my car to Northern California and survived! I miss it and wish we had something of it's former caliber, where I live now. Lisa
ridiculous wrote:
some people have no idea what they're talking about.
when it comes to ramona bakery, its success was all because of anthony. he was running the show for over 30 years, but got out of the business about 6 or so years ago.
from the time he left, paul bodnar was in control. this was a huge mistake. paul has no idea how to run a business, treat customers, or work as a team player.
in the 'excuses' review, you're right. the reason for the close is to an extent not due to the rise in ingredients. yes, the prices are getting high, but the stores closed because no money was being made.
as for 'cake lover', the people who worked at the torrance location were nowhere near the type of employee anthony would allow. since paul was in charge, he would hire anyone.
i worked there.
i am a part of the family who had it when it was the place to go, part of anthony's family.
i hear all these comments about how bad the bakery was, and it kills me.
when anthony left, it started going downhill...fast. people never knew he left until it was too late.
so when i hear all of this about how its crap, no good, a waste of san pedro space, i'm saddened.
there is no reason why anthony's rep should be brought down because of some fat loser who thinks he can run a business. paul has no idea what he's doing.
he slowly got everyone of anthony's relatives to leave the bakery- including me- so he could run the show himself. he has no 'people skills', no common sense, no emotions, no knowledge of how to run a business, and no way out of this hole he's dug himself into.
he's a liar. he's a jerk (for lack of a stronger word). he thinks he knows it all. he doesn't think of consequences. and he failed.
why, you ask?
because he's stressed.
he finally got what he wanted...the business to himself. but he couldn't handle it.
hell, i wouldn't be able to handle it either if i was living my life the way he was.
overweight, stressed, and in the closet.
yes, in the closet.
he's been hiding it for sooo many years, which is his reason for being so mean, resentful, and careless.
with all that building up inside, i don't think i'd be able to handle a business either.
so...please, before you pass judgement on ramone bakery for something it did, or most likely didn't do (he never cared if something went 'missing' or if an order was messed up), please don't let your opinion bring down anthony.
any reason for a downfall regarding ramona bakery is because of paul bodnar.
he doesn't care.
even about family.
anthony is his family, and he doesn't care about him.
san pedro is his home and he doesn't care that his neighbors aren't getting the best product.
I AM HIS FAMILY- WHO WORKED FOR HIM FOR YEARS- AND HE YELLED AT ME IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS REPEATEDLY...without a hint of remourse.
ramona bakery was a great place.
Barbara Everman robinson

Las Vegas, NV

#90 Dec 10, 2011
I grew up in San Pedro and Ramona's was the best bakery and probably still is people stop nit picking?We knew everyone who worked there,my mom owned the Indian Room wish i were back there now there will always be small buisnesses and they do last,Barbara
Marcie

Ojai, CA

#91 Dec 10, 2011
I grew up in San Pedro and Ramona was the only bakery we bought from. I ordered my wedding cake from them and it was beautiful. Ramona's was a part of my childhood and it makes you realize how special a small town bakery can be. The good old days.
Betty

Mexico

#92 Jul 10, 2013
Pues no se pero a mi me encantaron sus pasteles y hasta la fecha que ahora se llama Amalfitano me siguen encantando.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulevard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Ken Rupe still an obnoxious a-hole (Dec '07) 5 hr Jamulian 25
Union City: Pro-Measure KK group raises $560,00... Oct 19 Dennis David 1
Arrests Made In 1994 Rancho San Diego Slaying (Sep '08) Oct 9 SmokeMirrors 1,435
Heartwell Park named for Long Beach pioneer Col... Sep '14 lb resident 2
Woman Tosses 150 Pounds of Bird Seed a Day (Apr '06) Sep '14 Gods_creatures 2
Trade stocks online real screenshot Sep '14 lzootee 1
Council continues Walmart appeals (Dec '10) Sep '14 Andy 49
Boulevard Dating
Find my Match

Boulevard Jobs

Boulevard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Boulevard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Boulevard

Personal Finance