Erin Brockovich to pursue case agains...

Erin Brockovich to pursue case against Shell Oil Co. in Carson

There are 89 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 21, 2009, titled Erin Brockovich to pursue case against Shell Oil Co. in Carson. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Environmental activist Erin Brockovich is shown in a March 2007 file photo. Environmental activist Erin Brockovich has agreed to pursue litigation against Shell Oil Co.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Big Pedran

Chino Hills, CA

#1 Sep 21, 2009
Get ready to get paid!!
Anonymous

Miami, FL

#2 Sep 21, 2009
They are testing for something at Carriage Crest Park too. I passed by there today and there were two trucks drilling holes in the ground. I asked them what was going on and they told me they were checking the ground water.

Hope the park isn't contaminated. my nieces and nephews play at the park all the time. There is a foul odor at that park also. Don't know what it is. Could be the sanitation plant I guess but the city should check that out right away.
Janice England

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Sep 22, 2009
With the presence of methane gas and benzene beneath the Carousel neighborhood, it sounds like there may be an old dumpsite (landfill) beneath the homes. Has there been a title search of the property to determine previous ownership and land-use?
Ray Saffell

Madison, NJ

#4 Sep 22, 2009
There are two other neighbor hoods to the east and west of these homes. Does anyone have a schematic of the proposed site of the contamination. We are on the west border of the Carousel homes and often get certain gas fume smells. Please advise if possible.

[email protected]
Carson resident

United States

#5 Sep 22, 2009
Ray Saffell wrote:
There are two other neighbor hoods to the east and west of these homes. Does anyone have a schematic of the proposed site of the contamination. We are on the west border of the Carousel homes and often get certain gas fume smells. Please advise if possible.
[email protected]
Are you in Monteray Pines? If you are I will e-mail you.
Rant Daddy

Silverado, CA

#7 Sep 22, 2009
Erin versus Shell. My money is on the Old Bar Queen. Of course the soil is contaminated and Shell needs to cut loose some of that record profit over the last few years for the decent folks living above their contamination. But Erin, you do not really care about the individual you care about Erin and her bank account.
Realist

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#9 Sep 22, 2009
Question: Who was there first? Should not the developer of these properties be held responsible for building on contaminated land?
Yes, I know, Shell has deeper pockets.
RAE

Pleasanton, CA

#10 Sep 22, 2009
nothing more than an environmental ambulance chaser. go home.
RobRBarron

La Crescenta, CA

#11 Sep 22, 2009
All of Carson is a big waste dump...like DUH!
Hometown Fan

Carson, CA

#12 Sep 22, 2009
from pv estates wrote:
its always in carson.
Educate yourself.....

http://ci.carson.ca.us/content/department/abo...

"....In politics, there is an acronym, "N.I.M.B.Y.", which is short for "not in my back yard". People realize that society needs facilities such as garbage dumps, auto dismantling centers and waste treatment plants, but when it comes time to build them, no one wants them in their own back yard. So when such essential facilities were needed in the South Bay, the incorporated cities such as Torrance and Redondo Beach had the political clout to resist the location of such controversial projects within their city borders. Since Carson was an unincorporated area for so long, with little political representation, it often ended up as the dumping ground (both literally and figuratively) of its neighbors.

By the time Carson finally incorporated as a city in 1968, its landscape was pockmarked with the dozens of refuse dumps, landfills, and auto dismantling plants which none of its neighbors would have in their own cities......

.......Carson is not alone in dealing with such reclamation problems. The Palos Verdes Peninsula, for instance, successfully converted their former landfill into the wonderful South Coast Botanic Gardens, the first arboretum ever built on such land.
bjv

AOL

#13 Sep 22, 2009
RAE wrote:
nothing more than an environmental ambulance chaser. go home.
I agree. She now thinks she is an expert on all things environmental, and of course it pays well.
Playa Manhattan

Makawao, HI

#14 Sep 22, 2009
She thinks she is an expert, but isn't. She is actually quite stupid when it comes to science, especially epidemiological clusters, She goes after the defendants with the deepest pockets, even if they are not the ones responsible for damages....
I'm glad the Beverly Hills Unified School District kicked her ass... The judge even made her firm pay for its legal expenses..
Paymaster

Irvine, CA

#15 Sep 22, 2009
Pay day for the lawyers. Yee-Haw! Line up good citizens of Carson. Take your piece of the pie.
Lives in the Carousel

United States

#18 Sep 22, 2009
We are working with the law firm Girard & Keese. Until you walk in our shoes and know what is really going on, you might want to stop flapping your jaws.
Shell Scare Tactics

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Sep 22, 2009
"Shell has been drilling samples in the streets all summer, and recently began asking homeowners for permission to do further drilling on private property. About 100 residents have signed access agreements with Shell, and the oil giant has taken soil samples from about a dozen homes.

"We take the levels that were detected very seriously," said Alison Chassin, a Shell spokeswoman. "We believe the next step is to do these tests on residential properties as quickly as possible."

After reading these threads, I realize that the insulting remarks about Erin Brockovich and the Law Firm that asked to represent the residents are scare tactics, probably by Shell and their employees.

Residents ask yourself 2 important questions:

Why is Shell asking to drill on your residential site?
Would it be better to have legal representation on the front end, or wait until all the DIRT (literally) comes out and you have been fooled?
What is the City's responsibility in all of this?

The ironic thing is the SAME THING is going on with the Boulevards developement being built on Del Amo. They are building homes and the city is well aware of the methane and continued to approve the development.

If Shell has been drilling since this Summer and now wants to ask residents for permission to take samples....you can believe they've discovered something they don't want to be exposed. And with a name like Erin Brockovich and her team.....they are exposed.
no kool aid for me

Paramount, CA

#20 Sep 22, 2009
I'm no fan of her and that acctress who helped get her name recognition. Make a movie that portrays Big Business as evil and that makes you a hero. In reality, your just screwing the end user of a very important product. People just don't seem to understand who pays.... It's YOU..
Ray Saffell

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Sep 22, 2009
Carson resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you in Monteray Pines? If you are I will e-mail you.
Yes we are. Any news you could pass along would be helpful. Thank You for your response.
Ray S.
Lives in the Carousel

United States

#22 Sep 22, 2009
Ray Saffell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we are. Any news you could pass along would be helpful. Thank You for your response.
Ray S.
Did you get the e-mail I sent you very early this morning? If not I will resend.
Lives in the Carousel

United States

#23 Sep 22, 2009
Shell Scare Tactics wrote:
"Shell has been drilling samples in the streets all summer, and recently began asking homeowners for permission to do further drilling on private property. About 100 residents have signed access agreements with Shell, and the oil giant has taken soil samples from about a dozen homes.
"We take the levels that were detected very seriously," said Alison Chassin, a Shell spokeswoman. "We believe the next step is to do these tests on residential properties as quickly as possible."
After reading these threads, I realize that the insulting remarks about Erin Brockovich and the Law Firm that asked to represent the residents are scare tactics, probably by Shell and their employees.
Residents ask yourself 2 important questions:
Why is Shell asking to drill on your residential site?
Would it be better to have legal representation on the front end, or wait until all the DIRT (literally) comes out and you have been fooled?
What is the City's responsibility in all of this?
The ironic thing is the SAME THING is going on with the Boulevards developement being built on Del Amo. They are building homes and the city is well aware of the methane and continued to approve the development.
If Shell has been drilling since this Summer and now wants to ask residents for permission to take samples....you can believe they've discovered something they don't want to be exposed. And with a name like Erin Brockovich and her team.....they are exposed.
One correction--WE contacted the Brockovich Team - they did not contact us.
ANONYMOUS

Moulton, TX

#24 Sep 22, 2009
from pv estates wrote:
its always in carson.
THIS ISNT VERY NICE THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE AND NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD PV, I PROBABLY WOULDNT EVEN PICK PV EVEN IF I WON LOTTO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boulevard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hayesa closing Sonoma Boulevard supply company ... Nov 12 Torch 1
using jacumba fourn to address jacumba related ... Nov 12 Luke the drifter 1
Long ago in Jacumba Nov 12 Willie G 1
Lindsay Rhodes, Kenzie Rhodes, & Ethan Newsom Oct '17 I am Me 1
News Photos: Debra Messing honored with Hollywood Wa... Oct '17 ghfjn 1
Fire Aug '17 bclean 1
News Arrests Made In 1994 Rancho San Diego Slaying (Sep '08) Aug '17 Death 1,438

Boulevard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Boulevard Mortgages